Who is most techically gifted player you have seen in a Hearts strip?

Walter Bishop

I'm surprised by the lack of Robbo mentions.

I've only been watching football since about 2004 but thought he'd be everyones nailed on favourite.

What's the crack guys? Never seen the man play but from videos he seemed like a Shearer type poaching masterclass.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One flew over

Fulton for me, not old enough to have witnessed Hamilton, other than Jim who clearly for all his charms would never make anyones list, saying that I did award him man of the match in a Scottish cup tie when he had been honking!

Optimus Prime

Depends on your definition of "technically gifted".....it's just a junked up phrase for effectiveness in their position for me......in no particular order......Flogel, Jankuskauas, Gordon, Webster, Brellier.

portobellojambo1

Never saw Willie Hamilton playing for Hearts. Did see him play once, or at least once I can remember, and that would have been around 1964 when my old man took me along to a Hibs v Rangers Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road.

For me it is a man who I think probably arrived at Tynecastle at the wrong time, he was so far ahead of all around him, and that is Derek Ferguson. Stick him in the team with the forward line we have now and we would run riot.

Craig Gordon is the most expensive ever British player in his position is he not?

Takis was amazing. That flip-flap type thing he did that was in the credits of the footy show was frickin awesome.

Takis was amazing.

An emotional moment when he got that thoroughly deserved goal I thought. Classy player. Classy man.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Derek Ferguson was fantastic, ten times better than his brother.

I'm sure it was John Colquhoun that once said that Kenny Black was the most skillful player with a ball that he had ever played with.

For entertainment value, Wullie 'Bud'Johnston. You didn't know what he was going to do next, and neither did he I think.

MonkeyHeidHater

For me - Valois or Kingston ..... although i have to admit that both turned it on for 6 months only... but both class at the time.

Diamond Dave Cesnauskas was one of the best trappers of a ball I've ever seen. He could control it straight away wherever it was coming from or at what speed.

Sadly tended to do bugger all after he had it though.

One of Jankauskas, Flogel, Skacel or Fyssas.

Privileged to be able to see players of their calibre in the famous maroon and white.

I'd also say that as far as goalkeepers go (I'm classing them seperately), we've been very lucky -

Gordon and Niemi are/were top drawer goalkeepers, of the like we may not see again..I do live in hope though.

I'm going to chuck this out there.

But the reminiscing over Flogel is making him out to be a lot better than he was.

I'm saying this as someone who really liked the guy, and even named a pet after him when I was a kid!

For me if you are talking players who excelled at all levels of the game, passing, shooting, dribbling, going into a beneficial position to give or receive a pass, I would nominate, Jimmy Wardhaugh and Alec Young.

For me if you are talking players who excelled at all levels of the game, passing, shooting, dribbling, going into a beneficial position to give or receive a pass, I would nominate, Jimmy Wardhaugh and Alec Young.

So did Jimmy Wardhaugh really deserve his nickname of Twinkletoes Bob?

If Stevie Fulton could have added a few yards of pace I'd have no hesitation in nominating him. He made very few bad passes and was almost always the calm head in the midfield.

ernie winchester

This one got me thinking...

Strikers: Robbo (scoring so many goals must constitute 'technically gifted'!) and Jankauskas.

Wingers: Willie Johnstone and JC.

Midfielders: Derek Ferguson and Hartley.

Centre Backs: Levein closely followed by Alan Anderson.

Full backs: Takis although I always felt Peter Oliver was very under-rated.

Goalies: CRUIKSHANK, but Gordon and Niemi weren't too bad!

Others for consideration: Sandy Jardine and Stevie Fulton

If I had to pick just one: Takis.

jimmy wardhaugh was a good shout but alec young would probably win it,s a close call

alec young would win everton nominationn as well

I dont like tecnical either. To me the most skilful player I have seen in a Hearts jersey is Eammon Bannon.

John

Mr Brightside

In particular order Janny, Flogel and Skacel.

I always think of technically gifted players having a good first touch and composure.

Looking to the future from the limited time I have seen him I think Scott Robinson fits into this category.

Never seen Willie Hamilton but have heard plenty about him so players i have seen as follows.

Fulton

Flogel

Fysass

Levein

Fuller

Skacel

Honourable mentions for Bannon,Mackay,Bowman,Colquhoun,Hartley,Cameron and Robbo.

Broxburn Jambo

Willie Hamilton, Roald Jensen and Rene Mollar.

Rene Mollar!!!!! Time is damaging your memories, take away the 6-5 game then tell me another good game he had.

:)

Derek Ferguson or Edgaras Jankauskas.

Never seen Willie Hamilton, so I go with these because of the 'gifted' criteria. There have been better players but for natural touch I think they take some beating.

If, by technically gifted, you mean:

The ability to trap and control a ball.

The ability to time a tackle.

The ability to direct and weight a pass

The ability to read a game and be in the right place at the right time.

then my answer would be Tam Flogel

I'm going to chuck this out there.

But the reminiscing over Flogel is making him out to be a lot better than he was.

I'm saying this as someone who really liked the guy, and even named a pet after him when I was a kid!

Flogel is a hard one, as someone has said what is meant by "technically gifted"? If it means being able to play almost any position on the park to a relatively high standard, then Flogel has to be classed as one of the most technically gifted players to play for Hearts. If he had only played in one position though, I agree he probably wouldn't have been top 5 anywhere!

Flogel was good but he's also a myth. His name is synonymous with great technique because jefferies always claimed he was the best he had managed.

A false memory has been perpetuated IMO.

winston churchill

annti niemi in the goals

jim betts long and short range passing

wee robbos finishing

neil mccann skinning his man

leveins passing from defence and his reading of the game.

sandy clark bursting up centre backs.

Midfielder - I would go for Derek Ferguson as IMO he was an amazing player who saw passes that the rest of the team struggled to see. He would have been great in our current team next to the Train.

Totally agree with you on Derek Ferguson the guy was brilliant. He had great control and could see a pass, unfortunately Ian Ferguson(signed from Raith) and Big Baird just didn't have his vision or guile to see Ferguson's passes.

Jean-louis valois on his day was exciting to watch. Was a bit of a waste if he didn't turn up.

Never forget his passes to MDV to help with the 4 Goals. :thumbsup:

Love these threads, as it shows how we all see the game differently. Today's game is a totally different kettle of fish from the 60's, 70's and even 80's, so I don't really think you can compare. Technically gifted in today's game is totally different from way back then.

Someone said Rene Moller. Well, I did see him score directly from a corner kick one night at Tynecastle, but thats was about all.

Willie Hamilton would be a pick for me, along with Jimmy Wardhaugh. However, those guys in today's game might not get a shout. Who knows.

If they've worn the maroon, then they must have something.

Most naturally gifted by a mile Vincent Guerin!!!

Without a doubt the most "naturally gifted" player that ive seen.....and a fanatastic goal celebration (infront of the sellick fans) to go with it.

Having said that he only just beats Pat MacShane

Archived