Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The what are you reading at the moment fred

John Gentleman

Readers may be in interested to know that pen-name 'MC Beaton' (Marion Chesney Gibbons) died on 30-Dec-19. She of the Hamish MacBeth and Agatha Raisin books, both later adapted to TV series. A fine author indeed.

Haken
On 30/01/2020 at 12:24, Haken said:

Just started The Institute by Stephen King, a Christmas present from my wee lassie.

King hasn't written a really decent book in a long time and TI doesn't change that.  It's a decent enough read, more thriller than horror.  And, actually, not really all that thrilling.

Now onto Recursion by Blake Crouch.

Flimsy

Attempting to read the unreadable 'House of Leaves'. 

Zlatanable

I just started 'A Fairly Honourable Defeat' by Iris Murdoch. 

Haken
On 12/02/2020 at 12:25, Haken said:

Now onto Recursion by Blake Crouch.

ok, Recursion.  Possibly one of the most mind-bending books I've ever read.  If you've never read Blake Crouch, he wrote Wayward Pines which was turned into a TV series.  I think he also does screenplays.

Anyhoo, the premise here is the discovery that an individual's conscience can be sent back to a trigger point in the same individual's memory, thus rebooting reality from that point.  It took me a bit of effort to get my head round the concept, and I'm sure if I dug deeper into it I'd find all sorts of flaws.  But I decided just to read the damn thing and, on that level, it's a very entertaining sci-fi thriller.

Now onto Genesis by Karin Slaughter, crime series set in and around Atlanta.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm in the middle of this.  It's equal parts sad and funny.  The author became a father for the first time at 58 and these are notes and letters he's written to his sons as he knows he isn't going to be around for them.  It's not maudlin and a very good read.

A1DhMCfHKZL.jpg

Lemongrab

I'm going to re read a book I read in the 80s. The Eyes of Darkness, by Dean Koontz.

I can't remember a thing about it, as I read a stack of his books around then, and they've kind of all merged into one in my head.

Someone told me the plot involves a biological agent called Wuhan 400, and there's an outbreak in Wuhan, China. Curiosity has got the better of me, and thankfully I still have the book. 

The Frenchman Returns

Well it’s been on my kindle for ages but then I found out what a large section was about

Dead Men's Trousers by Irvine Welsh

I have to admit it, I really enjoyed the vast majority of the book and the Centurion even got a mention 

Diadora Van Basten

I am planning a trip round Europe following the Path of Rogan from Six Graves to Munich by Mario Puzo.

My plan is to start in Hamburg, then onto Berlin, Budapest, Villalba in Sicily and finish in Munich.

Haken
On 20/02/2020 at 07:59, Haken said:

Now onto Genesis by Karin Slaughter, crime series set in and around Atlanta.

Finished Genesis.  Okay - nothing special.

Onto 84K by Clare North.  Just started it and don't really have a scooby what it's about, other than it's set in the (near?) future and things appear a bit shan.

Haken
On 04/03/2020 at 11:51, Haken said:

Onto 84K by Clare North.  Just started it and don't really have a scooby what it's about, other than it's set in the (near?) future and things appear a bit shan.

Gave up on 84K one-third of the way through.  Really dire stuff.

Now on Abandon by Blake Crouch which is much more entertaining.

superjack

I've always been a Robin Hobb fan but had never read the soldier son trilogy. Half way through the first book and I'm starting to struggle a bit. As she is 2 of my favourite authors though I'll persevere to the end of the first book anyway.

The Frenchman Returns

Conn Iggulden

Wars of the Roses: Trinity: Book 2

I had been keeping this for my next holiday but as I was meant to be in Malta this week I treated myself. 

Will probably download book 3 later today, loved it.

Jamhammer

Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity ...

Mind blowing at times

Angel eyes

C38-FE235-31-DA-4-C01-96-C7-12122-C7-E99

Edited by Angel eyes

Cade

Paul Johnston's "Quint Dalrymple" alternative reality neo-noir crime novels are fantastic.

Following a global financial crisis in the late 1990's, the UK and most other nations on earth have broken up into tiny city-states.

Edinburgh is a facist/communist state based on the teachings of Plato.

Private cars are banned.

The Festival is year-round.

Princes St gardens is a racecourse.

The Forth Bridges have all been blown up.

The citizens have free lifelong education and full employment but are strictly controlled.

Against this backdrop we follow the life and strange cases of Quint Dalrymple, formerly a commander in the City Guard and now a private investigator.

The author's been writing this series since 1997 and he's just released the latest one.

Obviously, residents of Embra will get the most out of them but they're cracking good detective novels in their own right too.

First in the series:51uRpLBy5kL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg