The official JKB "RYDER CUP" thread.

Walter Bishop

Well 3 days to go...... day off work booked for Friday, Monty looking every the bit the captain we all knew he would be, rumours of rifts in the American camp already...Bring it on!!!!

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this! Won't see much of it though with having work and a 21st party on friday, hearts game on saturday and a christening on sunday.

:down:

come on the lads :thumbsup:

I love the ryder cup.

Mate of mine has practice tickets today and hospitality tickets for the whole weekend. Its only round the corner (I live in Cardiff) but the reams of traffic trying to get onto the M4 east today were already over a mile long. Unlucky for anyone working in the cesspit of Newport! Think Celtic Manor is the only nice place in the entire town, no wonder they stuck it up a hill.

I'll be enjoying it all on Sky Sports with a few ciders. Lovely.

Can I just say that golf holds no interest for me as a spectator sport. It is a sport, isn't it?

However, I do like the Ryder Cup purely because it is an opportunity to watch the Americans getting beat. Who has a world series and does not invite teams from the world.

The Old Tolbooth

Love the Ryder Cup, although hate it when it's played in America with all their fat loud mouthed fans shouting "GET IN THE HOLE" when teeing off at a par 5, feckin ramjets!

Mon the Europeans!!!

I think Tiger will have a good week, although im going tip Europe to win it very narrowly. Think its closer than a lot of people think.

The Mighty Thor

I think the American team will do well this week.

Celtic Manor is a US style course set up which will suit the yanks well.

I love the contest of the Ryder cup but like everything else it's all about the money these days and Celtic Manor have forked out ?20 million to 'buy' the rights to host it. Defies logic to me when Europe has many spectacular championship courses (all of them fantastic tests of golf) capable of hosting the event. SKY & NBC/ESPN have spoken it appears. :(

Celtic Manor resort is an outstanding choice, Ryder cups in Europe require the course to have everything on site nowadays hotel,leisure,dining facilities etc long gone are the days of playing at the Belfry and the players being carted off to the nec in Birmingham for gala dinners and ceremonies etc.

The course is nothing like "American" the rough is different,it favours accuracy from the tee as opposed to distance and the greens are not like sponges.

Europe will do very well on this course and i expect nothing more than a comfartable win.

McDowell and Mcilroy will lead the way on friday 7:45am imo.

The Mighty Thor

Celtic Manor resort is an outstanding choice, Ryder cups in Europe require the course to have everything on site nowadays hotel,leisure,dining facilities etc long gone are the days of playing at the Belfry and the players being carted off to the nec in Birmingham for gala dinners and ceremonies etc.

The course is nothing like "American" the rough is different,it favours accuracy from the tee as opposed to distance and the greens are not like sponges.

Europe will do very well on this course and i expect nothing more than a comfartable win.

McDowell and Mcilroy will lead the way on friday 7:45am imo.

The course layout is very American IMO. The rough will be a different grass. It's apparently no more punishing than any number of USGA courses.

The weather forecast for the next few days and the weekend isn't great and i suspect the greens will indeed be 'very receptive' come the weekend, which will of course suit the both teams but takes any kind of home advantage away in terms of course set up.

What is an American style course nowadays? Nearly every course on the European Tour is a parkland style course. Hit the ball long and then fly it into a well protected green. The only courses that aren't like that are only played once a year by tour pros............during The Open.

A narrow European victory for me. 3pts max.

Love the Ryder Cup, although hate it when it's played in America with all their fat loud mouthed fans shouting "GET IN THE HOLE" when teeing off at a par 5, feckin ramjets!

Mon the Europeans!!!

:lol: Yup feel the same way love the Ryder Cup come on lads give them a proper doing.

Might have a wee bet on this im off Friday not back till Tuesday ahhhh lovely.

What is an American style course nowadays? Nearly every course on the European Tour is a parkland style course. Hit the ball long and then fly it into a well protected green. The only courses that aren't like that are only played once a year by tour pros............during The Open.

The course not seen enough of it yet to make my mind up however home advantage with the crowds etc does imo make a difference and i fancy Tiger may get a litlle bit more grief than he has done over here when it comes to this Cup.

15 - 13 to the boys with Molinari (either one) making the winning putt and both being superb all weekend.

Got to love the Scottish journalists questions towards Tiger, "Will it be a hard week for you because of the role the players' wives take, have the other player's wives changed attitude towards you".

Nice attempt to unsettle him but I think it failed slightly

Going to miss Sunday as I'm flying out to Jamaica, gutted although the missus better not here me saying this.

Just realised will miss most of Saturday driving down to Manchester :(

Well looking forward to this but think will miss most of Friday with work then fair bit of Saturday with the Hearts game, will be watching every minute of the singles on Sunday though.

Go Europe!

there's truth in this. also add in the fact that most of the european team are well experienced in stateside golf.

europe will rip that usa team a new one. worst usa team i've seen in a ryder cup.

spanky's bookie spankers - europe to win by 18-10 @ 25/1, 17.5-10.5 @ 20/1, 17-11 @ 20/1.

there's truth in this. also add in the fact that most of the european team are well experienced in stateside golf.

europe will rip that usa team a new one. worst usa team i've seen in a ryder cup.

spanky's bookie spankers - europe to win by 18-10 @ 25/1, 17.5-10.5 @ 20/1, 17-11 @ 20/1.

Mug punting Vickylad, it was bill be far closer than that.

Mug punting Vickylad, it was bill be far closer than that.

actually now that you come to mention it, all correct score betting on the RC is muggish. in the past they've agreed to halve matches when the overall result is beyond doubt. sometimes games have been halved when one player was winning easily.

that in mind i wont be doing those bets. there could be some funny business if europe are looking like comfortable winners.

may just have to have a hefty bet on europe at 8/11. i think they will win very easily this time though.

I'm only just starting to get into golf properly now that I've more or less decided to retire gracefully from playing 11-a-side football. Really keen to learn to play the game myself.

Have always watched the Ryder Cup for some good natured yank bashing, but more up for it this year as I'm taking a bit more of an interest in the game itself. I'll not be making any rash predictions, but I'm looking forward to watching Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke and Sergio Garcia strut their stuff.

I'm only just starting to get into golf properly now that I've more or less decided to retire gracefully from playing 11-a-side football. Really keen to learn to play the game myself.

Have always watched the Ryder Cup for some good natured yank bashing, but more up for it this year as I'm taking a bit more of an interest in the game itself. I'll not be making any rash predictions, but I'm looking forward to watching Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke and Sergio Garcia strut their stuff.

They won't be doing much strutting, they are Monty's assistants.

They won't be doing much strutting, they are Monty's assistants.

As explained, I know little...

I did wonder about Garcia, but I'm disappointed Darren Clarke won't be doing a round.

As explained, I know little...

I did wonder about Garcia, but I'm disappointed Darren Clarke won't be doing a round.

Glad neither of them are playing, they have been in shocking form for about 2 years.

Arnold Rothstein

Glad neither of them are playing, they have been in shocking form for about 2 years.

Garcia would not have let anyone down had he been picked i'm sure of it. Saying that there were better options at the time and he was rightly left out.

Darren Clarke has played not bad this year though and could have won at Loch Lomond.

alwaysthereinspirit

Love the Ryder Cup. Even better when it's in Britain. I have a tee time for 6am Sunday (back nine) then home for the singles. Come on Europe.

Garcia would not have let anyone down had he been picked i'm sure of it. Saying that there were better options at the time and he was rightly left out.

Darren Clarke has played not bad this year though and could have won at Loch Lomond.

Exactly. Well said. Darren was in a pretty good run up to selection but didn't make it. So many others FTQ and Monty had to choose his wild cards. He left Paul Casey out. Top ten in the world that's a tough choice for to make. He's brought in two great Ryder cup heroes in the shape of Clarke and Garcia as part of his team. Nobody will gee the boys up like they will. C'mon Europe!!!

I reckon Paul Casey should have been picked in front of Harrington, I think the Irishman is a bit out of form lately.

Time will tell John. It's quite a young team and I think he was picked on the basis of that. Experience. The fact Casey and Rose didn't come home and play a few tournaments showed money was more important than auto selection to them. They probably expected to be certain wild cards. I did feel sorry for Casey he looked gutted about it, but he also knew how to secure his place if it was that important to him.

Really Looking forward to this although I am working fri and sat dayshift, but will be watching sun :verymad:

Although not having played golf much or for along time, Everytime there was a big tournament on at St Andrew's (and laterly Carnoustie) me and my dad always used to go at least one of the practice days and one of the tournament days love it happy days!!

Time will tell John. It's quite a young team and I think he was picked on the basis of that. Experience. The fact Casey and Rose didn't come home and play a few tournaments showed money was more important than auto selection to them. They probably expected to be certain wild cards. I did feel sorry for Casey he looked gutted about it, but he also knew how to secure his place if it was that important to him.

Think you've hit the nail on t'head there. Would appear that it is all about the experience what with 4 (?) debutants in the European team it's pretty important that there's players like Harrington and Westwood in there to make sure they know the score.

I think Europe will win, but it will be tight.

I reckon Paul Casey should have been picked in front of Harrington, I think the Irishman is a bit out of form lately.

the inclusion of harrington is really interesting.

on the one hand it can easily be argued that he's bang out of form and didn't really deserve a place. he also doesn't have a very good RC record. it's not as if he's a monty or a faldo who's records were so good that they were invaluable.

on the other hand harrington is a 3-time major winner and one of the strongest mentalities within the game. very little fazes him and he sticks to his task with immense concentration.

he probably wont play all 5 matches. i reckon he'll play 3, 4 at most. his points tally could be the making or breaking of monty.

the inclusion of harrington is really interesting.

on the one hand it can easily be argued that he's bang out of form and didn't really deserve a place. he also doesn't have a very good RC record. it's not as if he's a monty or a faldo who's records were so good that they were invaluable.

on the other hand harrington is a 3-time major winner and one of the strongest mentalities within the game. very little fazes him and he sticks to his task with immense concentration.

he probably wont play all 5 matches. i reckon he'll play 3, 4 at most. his points tally could be the making or breaking of monty.

Totally agree Monty's pick of Harrington could potentially make or brek this Ryder cup team, Was really surprised that Casey didn't get the shout.

Interested to see how Young Rory Mcilroy get's on, he has been noising up the Tiger so should be fun :)

Harrington on his day is one of the best players on the planet, he is refreshed, has a point to prove, and has the respect of the whole team, Casey on the other hand is none of these.

Harrington had to play, and will be one of the top scorers in Europe`s team imo.

Harrington on his day is one of the best players on the planet, he is refreshed, has a point to prove, and has the respect of the whole team, Casey on the other hand is none of these.

Harrington had to play, and will be one of the top scorers in Europe`s team imo.

This we now have 3 guys on the team who have won Majors but Harrington being a multiple major winner shows he is one of the best.Casey time and time against has thrown away leads in major tournaments and although he has a good matchplay record, Harrington brings more.

I think Harrington will bring more to Europe than Paul "Team" Casey

Its only just stopped raining down here from last night.

Bring your waterproofs gents, make them breathable though cos its bloody roasting!

Mon Team USA!

The Old Tolbooth

That's a good shout Kit, and probably what decided it for Monty to be fair.

This we now have 3 guys on the team who have won Majors but Harrington being a multiple major winner shows he is one of the best.Casey time and time against has thrown away leads in major tournaments and although he has a good matchplay record, Harrington brings more.

I think Harrington will bring more to Europe than Paul "Team" Casey

The Ryder Cup is a horses for courses event mate, Casey is a far better matchplay player than Harrington, as his record proves. If I had to pick the better golfer it would be Harrington every time, however if I had to choose the better man for the role it would be Casey, he's a dogged little fighter who never gives in, but as Kitster already stated, Casy knew what he had to do to get on the team and he failed to do it, so he only has himself to blame.

For the record, I think Harrington will be lucky to win a point, but I really hope he proves me wrong.

That's a good shout Kit, and probably what decided it for Monty to be fair.

The Ryder Cup is a horses for courses event mate, Casey is a far better matchplay player than Harrington, as his record proves. If I had to pick the better golfer it would be Harrington every time, however if I had to choose the better man for the role it would be Casey, he's a dogged little fighter who never gives in, but as Kitster already stated, Casy knew what he had to do to get on the team and he failed to do it, so he only has himself to blame.

For the record, I think Harrington will be lucky to win a point, but I really hope he proves me wrong.

John, the Ryder cup isn't all about match play or even four balls at the end of the day. It's about passion and team spirit. I'm happy with his choices. I know his reasons behind them.

Team America?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1f8wYZR-zM&feature=related

The Old Tolbooth

John, the Ryder cup isn't all about match play or even four balls at the end of the day. It's about passion and team spirit. I'm happy with his choices. I know his reasons behind them.

Team America?

Aye but when it comes to Casey I reckon he shows a lot more passion than Harrington could ever muster tbh, like I said though I'd love the likeable Irishman to prove me wrong. :thumbsup:

Archived