Us Open 2010

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

"Andy will win a Slam one day". Well, probably - but the thing about sport is it always asks the question, "what next?", and we're fast approaching the point whereby it becomes a case of not when Murray finally breaks through, but whether he will at all.

After a very difficult spell following his run to the final in Melbourne, Murray burst back to the forefront by beating Nadal and Federer, both in straight sets, in Toronto. But then he lost to Mardy Fish - so the questions remain. His draw is reasonable - but Stan Wawrinka, who gave him all sorts of trouble at Wimbledon last year, lurks in the third round; Queens winner Sam Querrey in the last 16; Wimbledon runner-up Tomas Berdych in the quarters.

Getting to his allotted spot in the semi-finals is the first test: in particular, doing so with the ease he managed at SW19. But if he gets bogged down in a succession of long matches, that'll tell come the business end of things. It must be good news that he's in Nadal's half of the draw; but Federer's path to the final, barring something remarkable from my tournament dark horse, Marin Cilic, looks a borderline cakewalk.

Most observers think a Federer-Nadal showdown is inevitable. I don't - and my prediction for the final is:

R. FEDERER (2, SUI)

v

A. MURRAY (4, GBR/SCO/HOBO/BTTLR*)

*delete according to taste

Such a final would, I believe, go to five sets and be too close to call - but only if Murray has reserved his best for his favourite tournament: the Grand Slam he most dearly wants to win.

Let the games begin. :thumbsup:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

If he wins, GBR / SCO

If he fails, HOBO / BTTLR

Yep, that about covers it. :lol:

Anecdote for you. When he was just beginning to emerge, Rafa Nadal was asked by a journalist if there was anyone else he knew who was set for big things. "Murray", was his reply - but there was a caveat attached. "He's British, so you just don't know".

I'm not sure if Nadal meant that our beloved red tops would make any British player's life impossible; or if he was questioning the temperament of British players. He went on to suggest Murray would be up and down throughout his career - but it's an interesting one, don't you think?

"Andy will win a Slam one day". Well, probably - but the thing about sport is it always asks the question, "what next?", and we're fast approaching the point whereby it becomes a case of not when Murray finally breaks through, but whether he will at all.

After a very difficult spell following his run to the final in Melbourne, Murray burst back to the forefront by beating Nadal and Federer, both in straight sets, in Toronto. But then he lost to Mardy Fish - so the questions remain. His draw is reasonable - but Stan Wawrinka, who gave him all sorts of trouble at Wimbledon last year, lurks in the third round; Queens winner Sam Querrey in the last 16; Wimbledon runner-up Tomas Berdych in the quarters.

Getting to his allotted spot in the semi-finals is the first test: in particular, doing so with the ease he managed at SW19. But if he gets bogged down in a succession of long matches, that'll tell come the business end of things. It must be good news that he's in Nadal's half of the draw; but Federer's path to the final, barring something remarkable from my tournament dark horse, Marin Cilic, looks a borderline cakewalk.

Most observers think a Federer-Nadal showdown is inevitable. I don't - and my prediction for the final is:

R. FEDERER (2, SUI)

v

A. MURRAY (4, GBR/SCO/HOBO/BTTLR*)

*delete according to taste

Such a final would, I believe, go to five sets and be too close to call - but only if Murray has reserved his best for his favourite tournament: the Grand Slam he most dearly wants to win.

Let the games begin. :thumbsup:

A lot depends on the timing of his matches. If as was the case against Fish, he is drawn to play in the sweltering NY heat, then he could struggle. If however he is lucky enough to play in the relative cool of the evening, I think he will cruise to the final. Don't think Berdych or Querry ill prove too much of a problem at FM.

shaun.lawson

A lot depends on the timing of his matches. If as was the case against Fish, he is drawn to play in the sweltering NY heat, then he could struggle. If however he is lucky enough to play in the relative cool of the evening, I think he will cruise to the final. Don't think Berdych or Querry ill prove too much of a problem at FM.

I broadly agree. As a fair skinned Scot, sweltering heat is always likely to affect him - and I think I'm right in saying it was unusually cool for January in Australia on his run to the final there? He's in the top half of the draw though, which'll give him extra time should he reach and win the first semi-final.

shaun.lawson

Soderling has been taken to a 5th set and is struggling.

Could be a big upset on the cards.

He's had a very mediocre time of it since the French Open, so I'm not surprised. Defeat would open up Cilic's section of the draw a bit, before he runs into Federer in the last eight.

Chad Sexington

He's had a very mediocre time of it since the French Open, so I'm not surprised. Defeat would open up Cilic's section of the draw a bit, before he runs into Federer in the last eight.

He's broken and gone 4-2 up.

No shock this time by the look of it.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I dont think the heat will bother Murray at all. He struggled in Cincinatti because he had played for nearly 3 weeks solid and his scheduling was poor for most of those 3 weeks. Its far hotter at the Australian Open and he coped fine there.

The draw has been fairly favourable to Murray and is he plays at his best (attacking tennis like at Toronto) he should get to the quarters without much fuss. It gets alot tougher from then on though.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Djokovic looking well shaky.

His bottle looks like it's crashing.

Something has been wrong in Djokovic's game for quite a while now. He just hasnt progressed at all in the last 18 months.

Djokovic breaks back in the 4th to get back on serve.

He was looking down and out but has a lifeline now.

Still not sure it'll be enough though.

shaun.lawson

Djokovic plus heat equals :down:

Djokovic plus adversity often equals :down:

Even if he comes back, he was never a serious threat to win the title to begin with, frankly. I think Roddick will emerge from that quarter of the draw; and Federer v Cilic in the QF will decide who makes the final from the bottom half.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not before 6pm tomorrow I think (1pm local time).

I think I heard them say that he is first on Ashe tomorrow.

Harry Palmer

Not before 6pm tomorrow I think (1pm local time).

Cheers for answering the question which I was about to post! :thumbsup:

Excellent, I finish work at 6pm (BST :ermm: ) so should find a way of catching this....

Djoko breaks back and then holds, think he is actually going to see it out now, which half way through the 4th set looked unthinkable.

Murray takes the first set 6-3.

This should be comfortable enough.

Straight sets demolition.

We're off and running!

Chad Sexington

Straight sets demolition.

We're off and running!

I thought he looked excellent today.

The Jamaican dude in the 2nd round should be fodder as well. :thumbsup:

I thought he looked excellent today.

The Jamaican dude in the 2nd round should be fodder as well. :thumbsup:

Don't see any problems for Murray in that one, Berdych out as well, things are shaping up well.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Pretty much the perfect opening match from Murray. Add Berdych's loss and it has been a great day for him.

loveofthegame

Great start and cracking news that Berdych is out. Should comfortably make the 4th round then could face a real test in Sam Querrey.

This is Murray's year, I really believe that...

Another seed is out.

Andy Roddick beaten by Tipsarevic in 4 sets, in the night session.

I like Roddick and all but losing another of the big guns is no bad thing.

The stage is slowly being set... :)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Cilic & Davydenko both out.

The seeds are dropping like flies. Could either make for an interesting tournament or a shit one :-)

Even if he comes back, he was never a serious threat to win the title to begin with, frankly. I think Roddick will emerge from that quarter of the draw

:lol:

The US Open website reckons Murray's game should be around 11am'ish on Ashe, its now 1130 over there, Dementieva is currently on that court nearing the end of her first set and the Beeb reckon his match should start at 2000 BST which is 1500 New York time.

Aaaargh. Blimmin tennis tournaments and their scheduling - is all this confusion absolutely necessary?

Jam Tarts 1874

The US Open website reckons Murray's game should be around 11am'ish on Ashe, its now 1130 over there, Dementieva is currently on that court nearing the end of her first set and the Beeb reckon his match should start at 2000 BST which is 1500 New York time.

Aaaargh. Blimmin tennis tournaments and their scheduling - is all this confusion absolutely necessary?

The BBC site seems to have the correct information. Play on the Ashe court started at 16.00 BST, but there are two ladies singles games before the Murray game.

Don't suppose you know if the Great Mop Headed hope/Hobo Whinger is likely to be playing on Sunday?

*Blatant I've just scored a ticket post*.

Nothing between them in terms of points won in that set, but crucially Murray wins the points that matter. Nadal 2 sets to the good now.

Don't know much about Wawrinka but assume he'd be higher up in the rankings if he could sustain this level of performance over a few sets - hopefully he'll run out of steam soon. In saying that, Murray's serve and forehand aren't what they should be...

He's playing a few nice shots now though, winning the first set seems to have settled him down a wee bit. Breaking Wawrinka in first game would maybe change the pattern of the second set.

Don't know much about Wawrinka but assume he'd be higher up in the rankings if he could sustain this level of performance over a few sets - hopefully he'll run out of steam soon. In saying that, Murray's serve and forehand aren't what they should be...

He's playing a few nice shots now though, winning the first set seems to have settled him down a wee bit. Breaking Wawrinka in first game would maybe change the pattern of the second set.

He is running out of steam. He basically bottled the first set, and Murray never looked back after that weird moment in the tiebreak. Like many players over the years, using a wee bit of rage to inspire himself.

The reason Wawrinka isn't higher in the rankings has just been seen over the last 20 minutes or half an hour. When the going gets tough, great players go up a gear; and Murray looks to have shaken him off. Querrey in the last 16 would be a tougher test again though.

Archived