Give Mcgowan The Armband

scott_jambo

jamboinglasgow

I heard a story last season about his time at Ayr United. At the end of a match where they had traveled up North to Dingwall to play Ross County and either lost or drawn, all the players at the full time whistle just trudged off and went straight for the changing room, all except young Ryan who went over to the few Ayr United fans who made the long journey to watch their team. He went over applauded them and went to sign autographs, at which his team-mates seeing this then came out and did the same. After that match Ayr went on a small run of positive results. The Ayr United fan who I heard this off said he was a great guy both in playing ability and the way he conducts himself on the pitch.

Let's not build him up too much.

It'll take him a few years at 1st team level to get to where we hope he can be.

Remember, Berra made his debut in 04/05 (I think) and was still learning his trade really when he was appointed captain.

McGowan has the potential to be another Berra - but is probably a better footballer.

Remember, Berra made his debut in 04/05 (I think) and was still learning his trade really when he was appointed captain.

McGowan has the potential to be another Berra - but is probably a better footballer.

Ryan McGowan taught Berra everything he knows. I'm sure in years to come Christophe will cite in his autobiography that young Ryan was a massive influence on his career.

Snake Plissken

Berra made his debut in November 2003, he took a few seasons to make the breakthrough but we did have the most effective cenral defensive partneship in the league at the time in Pressley and Webster.

• 9 months later...
scott_jambo

BUMP.

Have the JKB pundits still got Mcgowan being released at the end of the season because JJ doesn't rate him?

Like I said. Give him the armband. B)

davemclaren

BUMP.

Have the JKB pundits still got Mcgowan being released at the end of the season because JJ doesn't rate him?

He did well today. Still a bit raw but getting games will iron that out.

BUMP.

He should get it for his hatred of hibs. Legend!

He's done well in the last few games, JJ dont sign Diamond! We have a good centreback there

Strange how it has taken him 4 years to get another chance though.Looked the part in that game against Gretna and for some reason he never got another chance until recently.Always liked him and Rapnik in the reserves.

Jambof3tornado

BUMP.

Still reckon your off your trolley. Let the lad grow into his own game without the heavy burden of a captains armband!

Hope he's a regular starter next season!

scott_jambo

Still reckon your off your trolley. Let the lad grow into his own game without the heavy burden of a captains armband!

Hope he's a regular starter next season!

:Vlad-Stupid:

Was it not McGowan's poor header that fell to Daly to score the winner?

Bouzid no?

scott_jambo

Was it not McGowan's poor header that fell to Daly to score the winner?

Pretty sure it was Bouzid, but **** it - we should bin Mcgowan.

Pretty sure it was Bouzid, but **** it - we should bin Mcgowan.

Apologies Ryan :lol:

He has done ok but nothing more.

Definately worth keeping and giving more opportunites in the 1st team

scott_jambo

Apologies Ryan :lol:

He has done ok but nothing more.

Definately worth keeping and giving more opportunites in the 1st team

Gowzer will usher in a new era of trophy laden success for Heart of Midlothian F.C.

portobellojambo1

I thought he did well today. Without going back through hundreds of threads I think I said around the start of this season that I would be happy to see him take up a position in the centre of our defence. It has taken until Ibrox last weekend (after Jonsson was sent off) and Tannadice today for him to actually get used there, and he looks very comfortable. Next season, him and Webster central defence, Wallace left back, choice of Craig Thomson and Darren Barr (both of whom looked good today) at right back, and no feckin room or need for Zander Diamond.

I also suspect we have possibly seen the last of Rudi Skacel. I was on the concourse Wednesday as soon as the injury time board went up so didn't see the end of the game, but people on the bus who stayed to the end felt the manner in which he left the pitch gave an indication it was his final bow. Although there is an additional 1 year option in his contract, should HMFC wish to take it up, it may be the case that JJ is certain he is going to get a midfielder he feels can do a comparable job, and Rudi's time may be over.

EDIT - Oops, in terms of the thread title I wouldn't go as far as install him as club captain just yet, let him bed in and find his feet first, then he can start thinking about such things.

John Gentleman

Insofar as I'm aware, McGowan has never been capped at any level for OZ. As his father is Scottish, he is automatically a full citizen of the UK (in the same way as my son is because of me). So, nothing to stop him being capped for Scotland unless he chooses otherwise.

jamboinglasgow

Insofar as I'm aware, McGowan has never been capped at any level for OZ. As his father is Scottish, he is automatically a full citizen of the UK (in the same way as my son is because of me). So, nothing to stop him being capped for Scotland unless he chooses otherwise.

he has played a number of times for Australia under 20s including in the FIFA Under 20 world cup. But you are correct in saying he could play for Scotland if asked first.

rossthejambo

I like him and hope he gets more games next season, plus his hatred for the Hibs is extremely heart warming :thumbsup:

McGowan and Webster at the back next season, no need for us to sign that ***** . :thumbsup:

JamboJohn1874

Give him the armband, give us a break!

Havent seen anthing of note in the first team yet, although he clearly deserves a chance in his more favoured position next year.

Ryan Gosling

Well he and his brother have 2 more years at the club now, so hopefully they can do well.

jamboinglasgow

Well he and his brother have 2 more years at the club now, so hopefully they can do well.

Wonder when was the last time two brothers were in the same Hearts matchday team?

• 2 months later...
Buffalo Bill

McGowan will be at Man City next season.

...as player/manager.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

McGowan will be at Man City next season.

...as player/manager.

Lack of ambition imo. Think he'll hold out for player/chairman at Crawley Town!

• 3 months later...

Archived