School Leavers to swear allegiance to Queen and Country.

chester copperpot

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to the sheer cringeworthiness of the idea, in practice it would be completely unworkable.

A bit late in the day. The youth of the day should be doing this at the age of 5 to get some pride in their country!

Drew Busby !

To country ? Fine by me if it's Scotland.

To the queen ? Kiss my fecking arse "your majesty" ! :bootyshake:

Say What Again

Feck school leavers. A council tax rebate and public holiday for people who volunteer. Where do I sign up?

Gavsy Van Gaverson
It'll annoy people on Kickback, so I'm all for it.

Yes but some will think it is a great thing. I'm assuming the guys with Chelsea avatars will be all for it ;)

Cart before the Horse.

As soon as we work out what exactly it means to be British, then there may be some point in swearing allegance.

Interesting quote from US Muslim convert Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson:-

"People have more allegiance to football teams than they have to Great Britain"

Sadly, I think he's right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6723325.stm

Spitonastranger
A bit late in the day. The youth of the day should be doing this at the age of 5 to get some pride in their country!

why should young people have pride in their country:annoyed:my kids are repectful to people who treat them with respect, repects is earned not given:confused:

As leginten says, its pretty cringworthy and I doubt many would take it seriously.

why should young people have pride in their country:annoyed:my kids are repectful to people who treat them with respect, repects is earned not given:confused:

So they treat people with disrespect until they have 'earned' their respect? :cool:

Cart before the Horse.

As soon as we work out what exactly it means to be British, then there may be some point in swearing allegance.

Interesting quote from US Muslim convert Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson:-

"People have more allegiance to football teams than they have to Great Britain"

Sadly, I think he's right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6723325.stm

Yeah that boy is right.

Club before country. I like it that way.

I P Knightley

So, on the one hand, the Labour Government have paved the way for the dissolution of "Great Britain" yet on the other hand we're going to have a "Great Britain" day in 2012?

They really don't have a ***n clue what they're doing, do they?

This is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in a long time (from anyone over the age of 4, anyway). They'd try to mend the Grand Canyon with a roll of sellotape if left to their own devices.

R Souls.

To country ? Fine by me if it's Scotland.

To the queen ? Kiss my fecking arse "your majesty" ! :bootyshake:

My sentiments exactly. Where do they get these guys that come up with this stuff? it's pathetic. It actually really annoyed me when i heard it on the news; another completely off the mark, insane idea from someone who is so far removed from 'real life' in modern britain, he may as well be living on the moon.

I P Knightley
All edinburgh kids should be made to swear allegiance to HMFC.

...annually.

And clad head to toe in maroon.

Everyone with an EH postcode. Photographs in the News & Scotsman. The whole lot.

At last. Someone's talking sense.

Clearly not a Labour politician, JTNut!

Spitonastranger
As leginten says, its pretty cringworthy and I doubt many would take it seriously.

So they treat people with disrespect until they have 'earned' their respect? :cool:

read what is written you mug:eek:

What a waste of money.

Still, they're doing nothing with this except handing votes to the SNP and aiding the envitable break-up of the UK.

Nice one!

Well said. We should be ensuring that the concept of Britishness is part of their psyche from the time they're old enough to read.

Regarding the current proposal, I'd actually go a step further and say that anyone who refused to swear allegiance to Britain and Her Majesty should be put on a central register and monitored by the police and security services.

Well said. We should be ensuring that the concept of Britishness is part of their psyche from the time they're old enough to read.

Regarding the current proposal, I'd actually go a step further and say that anyone who refused to swear allegiance to Britain and Her Majesty should be put on a central register and monitored by the police and security services.

That should Labour/Tory party policy.

SNP votes would go through the roof! We'd be independent in no time!

SNP votes would go through the roof!

I doubt it. All rational people would see it as a step forward in flushing out the elements that wish to disrupt or destroy our society.

The problem is, I dont consider myself British at all. I'm Scottish.

Although I can see where Therapist is coming from with his flush out the baddies thing.

Sheriff Fatman

I wouldn't pledge my allegiance to a German aristocrat and a fake political construct.

I am both Scottish (by birth) and English (by parentage). I am not British and I never will be.

The idea that bribing schoolkids to pledge to anything will make the slightest difference is nonsensical.

Ibrahim Tall

Britain, maybe. Queen can go **** herself.

Stupid idea all the same, just one step away from a cringe worthy national anthem at school every day Yank style.

ToadKiller Dog

I remember in primary school having to recite "my father who fart in heaven ,Daryl be thy name" and from day one it made me an atheist.So i doubt swearing an oath to a rich old woman will make any big change.

Just maybe our politicians should try and help make the lives of the peoples on this islandl just a wee bit more equal ,maybe share out the wealth a bit fairer,maybe work to create decent jobs,schools,repair many of our broken down towns and cities.

make a real place to have pride in.

naah forget that making kids read a worthless statement makes more sense.

anyways i swear allegiance to "jack daniels and all who get drunk with her"

maybe share out the wealth a bit fairer

There is already a mechanism in place to redistribute wealth. It's called working hard and trying to better yourself. There are far too many scroungers and whingers in this country, and the government should be encouraging them to contribute to society rather than giving them something for nothing.

There is already a mechanism in place to redistribute wealth. It's called working hard and trying to better yourself. There are far too many scroungers and whingers in this country, and the government should be encouraging them to contribute to society rather than giving them something for nothing.

I agree there is too many scroungers, but IMO there is also too many people who are loaded for doing nothing.

The scroungers do outweigh this group though.

Sheriff Fatman

The goverment proposing to give kids discounts on college fees and other things just because the recite a pointless sentance that they very likely couldn't give rats about is giving something for nothing.

The goverment proposing to give kids discounts on college fees and other things just because the recite a pointless sentance that they very likely couldn't give rats about is giving something for nothing.

I'd remove all government subsidy of further education. It's a student's choice to continue studying and I don't see why the public purse should give them any help.

I'd remove all government subsidy of further education. It's a student's choice to continue studying and I don't see why the public purse should give them any help.

So in less your parents are loaded you won;t go to uni ! Would you like to step back from the 50's ! Without our current educational system we would be trailing the world in terms of resources !

Back to the point about the oath, NO ****ING WAY ! Scots died for the freedom of never having to bow to the queen a long time ago ! Anyone who tries to force this is barking up the wrong tree.

Compared to europeans we are one of the most back ward nation. What i mean by this is that fact that we always rant and rave over how good we were in the past ! How we ruled the world ! We are almost like OF fans. we think we have a god given right to be the best in the world and that every other nationailiy is in some way below us. Where as most nations look forward we are stuck in the past. Don't get me long, i love my country, and think it has much to be proud of. I just want us to look to the future, **** rule britinna, god save the queen, and would like to see a way we can admire scotland.

I can remember being at primary school and signing caledioan, and etc and i wish we can replace flower of scotland with :

Scotland the Brave

Download Midi File

Barry Taylor

Hark where the night is falling

hark hear the pipes a calling

Loudly and proudly calling down thru the glen

There where the hills are sleeping

Now feel the blood a leaping

High as the spirits of the old highland men

Towering in gallant fame

Scotland my mountain hame

High may your proud standards gloriously wave

Land of my high endeavor

Land of the shining river

Land of my heart forever, Scotland the Brave

High in the misty mountains

Out by the purple highlands

Brave are the hearts that beat beneath Scottish skies

Wild are the winds to meet you

Staunch are the friends that greet you

Kind as the love that shines from fair maidens eyes

I have no problem with making kids signing this and being proud of thier nation

So in less your parents are loaded you won;t go to uni !

Where did I say that? :rolleyes:

School leavers - who are adults after all - should decide whether they think going into further education will improve their earning potential. If they do, they should fund it themselves and their payback will come in the future.

A further benefit of my suggestion would be that we wouldn't end up funding ridiculous "degrees" like flower arranging and swimming pool filter management.

A further benefit of my suggestion would be that we wouldn't end up funding ridiculous "degrees" like flower arranging and swimming pool filter management.

Hey!:mad:

I suppose its a generational thing but I gained my patriotism by being taught Scottish history and singing Scottish songs at school. I accepted and appreciated my country being part of Great Britain again by being taught about British history and Scotlands part in it at school. On a less official side I read and was thrilled by books on the British army in India, King of the Khyber Pass etc. I thrilled about the adventures, and couldn't wait to get into the army to share them.

Wartime again created a sense of pride and belonging. We were for that time one united nation, individual patriotism was a given, and the surge of pride when seeing kilties being honoured after a battle, or hearing the pipes leading the advance at El Alamein, these were the things love of Country were made of to me.

At school we started the day with the Lords Prayer, and when the movies finished we sang or stood up for the God Save the King, thats right there was a King in those days. It was even played by the wee brass band before the fitba' game.

These days are gone, we can initiate as many forced ways of creating nationalism and patriotism as we want, but political correctness, and a quasi affirmative action has knocked the stuffing out of most of us. Life today is survival of the fittest, and weak politicians.

God Save The King, Amen:(

Pah, Queen was never the same after Mercury died, though I'm surprised Therapist would be willing to go down on one knee in front of him :D

"There is already a mechanism in place to redistribute wealth. It's called working hard and trying to better yourself. There are far too many scroungers and whingers in this country, and the government should be encouraging them to contribute to society rather than giving them something for nothing".........

Something for nothing= the monarchy!

Why should us "subjects" work hard and pay taxes when our "beloved" royal family swan around doing very little and not paying tax?

Don't get me started on the government when it comes to laziness and ripping folk of and avoidance of tax paying they take the biscuit!

I do not consider myself British. I am Scottish. However in the event of another nutter like Hitler I will happily join with my English/Welsh and Irish counterparts who would fight to stop them. Still doesn't make me "British".

I certainly will NOT bow down to the Queen or any of her family. I do not wish death or evil on them but they are in my mind parasites on society worse than the folk who claim dole when they could work but can't be ersed!

Why should us "subjects" work hard and pay taxes when our "beloved" royal family swan around .... and not paying tax?

In future, I suggest you check facts before posting. ;)

She may pay some tax....however she dodges most of it....for example one report on her wonderful highness...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/may/30/politics.jubilee1

http://www.throneout.com/viewstory.asp?STORY_ID=55

Are you telling me that our wonderful monarchy work hard and pay all their taxes?

How many are on the civil list?

What real use are they to our society?

You have them making speeches about our world and caring for it. Yet travel 20 yards by car....and normally one that spews out lots of emissions.

Lazy lazy waste of space.

You can bow to them if you want, but don't expect that many intelligent folk to join you!

The Monarchy is a joke, a fascist regime that cost this country billions.

It quite frankly disgusts me.

The Monarchy is a joke.....cost this country billions.

Would you be good enough to post the evidence that backs up this statement? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance. :)

Commander Harris
Would you be good enough to post the evidence that backs up this statement? :rolleyes:

I think the monarchy costs us about 60p each a day IIRC.

compare that with the several thousands of pounds we are jointly liable for Northern Rock now it is in public ownership...

The White Cockade

a bit of a pointless excercise

Mr X swears allegiance to crown and country

then goes out and bombs the airport

do they think that the "baddies" will say "oh no I can't

do this - I am a terrorist arrest me now?"

they are just words - they mean nothing

a lot of people get married and swear undying love, till death us do part etc and split up 18 months later

I would however try and ensure that all British citizens speak English

thats another story however

This is a fatuous attempt to impose 19th century jingoism onto a 21st century community.

It's a weak imitation of an American ritual that's been performed daily by schoolchildren before classes for decades. Do Americans have a better "sense of belonging" than Britons, as a result?

This daft idea will never come to fruition. The British people are too smart to fall for it.

Speaking in my capacity as a "Johnny Foreigner", I suggest that before anyone goes into orbit (or orgasm) at this idea, please keep in mind that it isn't going to happen.

The PM's spokesperson described the idea as "interesting". That's No. 10-speak for "who let that nutcase write that report?".

There's nothing to see here.

Excuse me, millions.

The monarchy directly costs around around ?90 million a year, times this by x amount of years. It won't actually be far off billions.

Archived