Unworthy Co-commentators

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

I hate these ex-pro`s that are part of the "jobs for the boys" brigade. Guys like Mark Bright having the privelage to commentate on games involving players he could only dream of being on the same level as and criticise them as if he were a World class superstar!!! He doesnt even know the bloody rules when a penalty is being taken ffs!!!!

Anyone out there you cant stand???

All of them.

I can't think of a single good one right now.

Seymour M Hersh

There are very few ex players that make any sense and they think they know stuff we, the poor sods inthe stand, have no possible chance of understanding as we never played the game at the level they did. Bright is doing a lot of rhyming slang with his name and what he's talking tonight. As for the (never played a game more senior than Scouts or BBs commentators, they just make me cringe with their complete and utter lack of football knowledge/understanding. I think they're more interested in fawning to the ex player numpty sitting next to them.

I hate these ex-pro`s that are part of the "jobs for the boys" brigade. Guys like Mark Bright having the privelage to commentate on games involving players he could only dream of being on the same level as and criticise them as if he were a World class superstar!!! He doesnt even know the bloody rules when a penalty is being taken ffs!!!!

Anyone out there you cant stand???

craig "i hate hearts" burley. :down: .....andy walker :yucky: ......andy "take a boo" gray :(

Co-commentators? No reason for them being there. Not heard one of them give any info from the game that I have not seen for my-feckin-self. However, biggest bell-ends are Lawrenson, Burley (obviously), McCarthey and Beglin. As for commentators themselves, step forward Clive feckin Tyldesley.......there are not enough words in the english language to describe how much of a complete and utter trumpet this cretin is. Did anyone hear him last night, 'Gyan, Ghanas Stuart Pearce'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, what the feck was that all about??????????????

Randle P McMurphy

British punditry is awash with mediocrity. It actually cheers me up when we have a foreign visitor to the studio like seedorf and klinsmann, or leonardo at the last world cup. Despite english not being their first language, they speak with far more eloquence and originality than the usual hackneyed, cliched, humourless nonsense the usual suspects come out with

We've been lucky out here. We've had John Harkes, Efan Ekoku and Ally McCoist. All have been genuinely good. None of your bland backchat.

so, do we have a right as fans to criticise then when half of us have never came close to playing pro football?

so, do we have a right as fans to criticise then when half of us have never came close to playing pro football?

But they can still be tossers?

But they can still be tossers?

Of course H98. I just can`t stand double standards. Football is a game where everyone deserves an opinion. You don`t have to be a top coach to have one. What you see with your eyes is different to what you can act out. And fans can talk more sense than pundits at times but to accuse ex players of having no right to have an opinion is ridiculous...no matter how much you disagree. :thumbsup:

Over here we have some guy called Scott minto - stoker of the highest order

He was a stroker of the highest order as a player too but, somehow played for Benfica.

Over here we have some guy called Scott minto - stoker of the highest order

One of the worst players ever to pull on a Chelsea shirt.

Of course H98. I just can`t stand double standards. Football is a game where everyone deserves an opinion. You don`t have to be a top coach to have one. What you see with your eyes is different to what you can act out. And fans can talk more sense than pundits at times but to accuse ex players of having no right to have an opinion is ridiculous...no matter how much you disagree. :thumbsup:

That's the point, isn't it? You and I could have set that Argentina side up better than one of the greatest players the world has ever seen. It's nice to hear the pundits saying exactly that. So why does the UK have to put up with second-string talents full of their own self-importance mouthing stupid little platitudes every odd minute?

That's why I've been really pleased with ESPN/Sky's coverage. There's a pundit tendency in sports out here to call it as you see it, and it seems to have rubbed off on the football lot. It's almost as if they're enjoying the freedom to talk sense.

We've been lucky out here. We've had John Harkes, Efan Ekoku and Ally McCoist. All have been genuinely good. None of your bland backchat.

Harkes and Ekoku have been good in the commentary box, and I have really liked McManaman, Klinsmann...and even Gullit (at times). McCoist, however, is pish poor, in my opinion. "You can literally see what the players are thinking", being my highlight of his tournament.

Harkes and Ekoku have been good in the commentary box, and I have really liked McManaman, Klinsmann...and even Gullit (at times). McCoist, however, is pish poor, in my opinion. "You can literally see what the players are thinking", being my highlight of his tournament.

I'll give him a pass. Don't think he's quite grasped that the cheeky chappy persona leaves people a little bemused out here....

I'll give him a pass. Don't think he's quite grasped that the cheeky chappy persona leaves people a little bemused out here....

Indeed. Also, I should previously have caveated that my opinion on his summarising abilities is always going to be clouded by the fact I think he is a complete bell end.

Walter Bishop

Our opinion though is not broadcast nationwide so dont really see the comparison.

Indeed. Also, I should previously have caveated that my opinion on his summarising abilities is always going to be clouded by the fact I think he is a complete bell end.

I have this kind of remote switch that when he starts talking, I go momentarily deaf. Bit like the wife switch.....

Our opinion though is not broadcast nationwide so dont really see the comparison.

Quick get out there. You say "what gives him/them the right to criticise"...because they actually played the game. It doesn`t mean they know it all, but what gives you the right to go to a game and shout criticism from the stands?

listen, im just giving a fair view. Fans , ex players, pundits talk shite/sensible things about football whether you are in the commentary box or not.

I actually think Mark Bright is one of the better ones - but I agree that the standard of commentators, co-commentators and pundits at this World Cup generally has been very poor.

The worst part is that the BBC will no doubt be paying the likes of Shearer and Lawrenson thousands of pounds of licnece fee payers money to sit there and talk nonsense.

colinmaroon

Of course they're entitled to theiropinion but I don't see why we should be paying them to give it to the nation - after all, it's a sure fire way for the companies to save a few grand +.

The "post" of co-commentator has passed its sell by date!

Let's get back to one commentator reporting/covering the action and not boring us with the drivel we've suffered for years.

I think that Radio 5 are having a good world cup.

Waddle, Taylor and Robbie Savage have all been excellent. Cannot stand Alan Green however. :angry:

Denny Crane

To me the co-commentator has only really worked with cricket - and even then they change over to another two people after half-an-hour. I suppose when you have two forerunners like John Arlott and Richie Benaud, then that sport has been lucky to have two professional people doing that job with Benaud famously remarking on the art of commentary, "If you have not got anything worth saying then don't open your mouth until you do".

Francis Albert

To me the co-commentator has only really worked with cricket - and even then they change over to another two people after half-an-hour. I suppose when you have two forerunners like John Arlott and Richie Benaud, then that sport has been lucky to have two professional people doing that job with Benaud famously remarking on the art of commentary, "If you have not got anything worth saying then don't open your mouth until you do".

Similarly Henry Longhusrst once watched a golfer miss a putt from about two feet. After a long pause ""well there's nothing to be said about that".

Geoff Kilpatrick

SBS over here have taken the ESPN feed for the England games. With Martin Tyler in the main seat, it has actually been a pleasure rather than excruciating pain to watch an England game.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Very true. Cricket commentary on both radio and TV is brilliant.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Waddle, Taylor and Robbie Savage have all been excellent. Cannot stand Alan Green however. angry.gif

This. Hope the feckwit is still hurting!

Harry Palmer

This. Hope the feckwit is still hurting!

I get the impression you do not really like your fellow countryman. :ninja:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I get the impression you do not really like your fellow countryman. ninja.gif

whistling.gif Whatever gave you that idea?

Dirty Binfield barsteward....

Hannibal Lecter

Craig Burley. Horrid co-commentator who keeps getting good gigs.

Enough said. Tube of the highest order.

Scott Booth Burley and Andy Walker ur a Wker - was posting video from you tube but user has deleted it meh......

colinmaroon

It also works with American Football.

Both games are stop-start, with a lot of "gaps" to be filled in.

In a virtually non-stop game like football, co-commentators are extraneous noise (especially Bright - what an irritating voice), more of a distraction.

Same goes for rugby! Could you imagine Bill MacLaren having a co-commentator! ?

Jam Tarts 1874

Waddle, Taylor and Robbie Savage have all been excellent. Cannot stand Alan Green however. angry.gif

I agree with this too. Have been watching the game then turning on the radio at half-time and full-time for some proper punditry.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, this clip of Savage having a laugh at England's expense is worth watching.

My link

Forgetting the obvious irony i.e. moaning about someone who's co-commentary is negative to the the point of annoyance.....step forward Mark Bright.I don't care if he has played the game at pro level,his negativity at certain times is completely uncalled for at times.Maybe at a subconcious level the green-eyed monster is at work because he seems to give everyone it tight.Sad individual.

Contrast that plank with the most optimistic co-commentator i've ever heard...Ray Wilkins on ch 4's Football Italia.Great stuff!

As said on the other thread,Mark Lawrenson is an ar5ehole.A prime example of the bbc jobs for the boys approach.I cringe when he is commentating,his one liners are pathetic and embarrasing.

Denny Crane

It also works with American Football.

Both games are stop-start, with a lot of "gaps" to be filled in.

In a virtually non-stop game like football, co-commentators are extraneous noise (especially Bright - what an irritating voice), more of a distraction.

Same goes for rugby! Could you imagine Bill MacLaren having a co-commentator! ?

I give you Jonathan Davies and Brian Moore - violent thoughts enter my head when that pair start butting in.

linkin- hearts

On the plus side, i think Martin Keown has proven to be a sensible and unbiased co-commentator so i would definitely not include him in my list of pure bellends.:thumbsup:

Gigolo-Aunt

Gareth Southgate for me is the best.

Brilliant in the studio - cant hep he is wasted there though as when he was doing the game's in the CL at the tail end of last season, he was a revelation.

The boy Lawson put up some links to the panels Souness has been on, its night and day to BBC and ITV - real debate.

grumpyjambo

Waddle, Taylor and Robbie Savage have all been excellent. Cannot stand Alan Green however. :angry:

Pleat has been good as well

FORTHCLYDE

Nine of us watching the game and everyone of us slagged Hansen. Show us you medals please, you may have been a "good player" but that was twenty years ago. You have never been a manager or coach and until you prove it in the coal face in the premier leagur please shut up. And why should I pay your ?2000 taxi home every week?

Denny Crane

Nine of us watching the game and everyone of us slagged Hansen. Show us you medals please, you may have been a "good player" but that was twenty years ago. You have never been a manager or coach and until you prove it in the coal face in the premier leagur please shut up. And why should I pay your ?2000 taxi home every week?

Three European Cup medals, eight English league titles, two FA Cups and four League Cups while at Liverpool plus a First Division winners medal when at Thistle.

Archived