Vuvuzela/Horns (merged threads)

P-Dizzle

What makes it worse is that, every time you get an item on the news / a bit of build-up from South Africa, all you get are fat bampots blowing one right in front of the camera. Their footballing culture is terrible.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
portobellojambo1

The world cup is about culture as much as it's about football. You can't confine the tournament to a handful of countries because it suits you.

The Vuvuzela is part of their footballing culture. If you silence that, it defeats the purpose of holding the tournament in a country with different customs to your own. What message does that send out, when our commentators, reporters and viewers go on about it constantly. Because I'm finding all this bellyaching more annoying than a cheap horn being blown by a fan at the ground.

It's not going to be banned, so stop ******* complaining about it in every thread. It's not a brillant observation you've made, I don't care what you think it sounds like and how that might be shite.

Shut up, and talk about the football.

If, as you say, it forms part of South Africa's footballing culture they can, with all due respect, ram their football culture as far up their feckin erses as it will go.

It is nothing more than a tuneless, non stop feckin racket, which adds nothing to the game.

There looks to be a few thousand Germans in the stadium tonight and they look as though they are singing and bouncing about, but because of these Vuvus you can't hear a thing.

Nookie Bear

The world cup is about culture as much as it's about football. You can't confine the tournament to a handful of countries because it suits you.

The Vuvuzela is part of their footballing culture. If you silence that, it defeats the purpose of holding the tournament in a country with different customs to your own. What message does that send out, when our commentators, reporters and viewers go on about it constantly. Because I'm finding all this bellyaching more annoying than a cheap horn being blown by a fan at the ground.

It's not going to be banned, so stop ******* complaining about it in every thread. It's not a brillant observation you've made, I don't care what you think it sounds like and how that might be shite.

Shut up, and talk about the football.

What I hate is that the noise has no relation to what is happening on the pitch.

A good attempt on goal........horns blasting

A bad miss.......horns blasting

A corner......horns blasting

Nothing happening.......horns blasting

A goal.....horns blasting

It just comes across as ignorant and, far from creating an atmosphere, it has killed it.

It just comes across as ignorant and, far from creating an atmosphere, it has killed it.

Yep. No sense of fans encouraging their team, cheering good play, or even celebrating a goal. :down:

Hagar the Horrible

Yep. No sense of fans encouraging their team, cheering good play, or even celebrating a goal. :down:

I can see the point in having them during a South Africa game (its their thing), but what you get is a handful of neutrals drowning out all the atmosphere in all other games. At least the Mexican wave you can choose not to participate in and did not last for 90 painful minutes. Those ridiculous cow bell things at the skiing, the out of tune/rhythm livi drummer, the dutch brass band, the tartan army bagpipes, English commentators should all be banned from football.

Can just see Rangers and thellik fans blowing out the sash and the fields of athenry on these terrible things although you wont be able to tell which is which :angry:

On the plus side the vuvuzelas sound exactly like the wifes conversations during the games.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Just downloaded the vuvuzels app for the iPhone,,,,, now who to irritate first!! :-D

returned from SA the other day having also managed to get a ticket for the opening game! Landed with my vuvuzela in LHR and got quite a few strange looks!!! The girl at security even asked for a wee shot of it (was a quiet time) but she couldnt get a peep out of it. It actually takes a little bit of talent to make some noise using them, you dont simply just blow into it!!

Hagar the Horrible

returned from SA the other day having also managed to get a ticket for the opening game! Landed with my vuvuzela in LHR and got quite a few strange looks!!! The girl at security even asked for a wee shot of it (was a quiet time) but she couldnt get a peep out of it. It actually takes a little bit of talent to make some noise using them, you dont simply just blow into it!!

Is that from experience?

Is that from experience?

it is that. it is a very similar motion to playing a brass instument. these guys in SA can actually play tunes on a 1 note "instrument", not just a pathetic drone that some people think!

it is that. it is a very similar motion to playing a brass instument. these guys in SA can actually play tunes on a 1 note "instrument", not just a pathetic drone that some people think!

no they can't.

unless they have been playing scouting for girls all world cup so far.

Hagar the Horrible

Hmmm yet thats the way it comes across!

Then I really dont think much of the song they are playing, was it written by Stock Aitken and Waterman? what next Status Quo to find that mystical forth chord? I cant wait to hear those immortal words "I Sh....d the vuvuzela player in the band" errr not going to happen. I used to play side drum in a pipe band, I hated with a passion the sound of the chanter, yet i was told that it played more than one, note. which begs the question why did'nt they?

I'm with the OP as far as this event being a cultural one, but it's the WORLD cup, not the South African cup. The South African culture is literally drowning out all other methods of cheering on your national team. Just not right in my opinion.

chester copperpot

Apologies if already discussed, I did do a search prior to posting this.

Is anyones enjoyment of the WC been spoiled by the constant noise of those frigging horns?

I've not seen much of the WC so far due to having a full weekend and being at work, however whenever I've watched the games, I've been disappointed with the atmosphere. Fair enough when the games are small nations, it may add to something, however you cannot hear any team sing due to them.

As I've said, apologies if already covered, however I did look for a thread with it.

Not really noticed to be honest, But will listen in a bit harder tomorrow to see if I can hear it.

Regular John

It's only really a problem for me when the games crap, if I'm being entertained I don't notice it.

Ended up turning the TV off for the Cameroon game earlier, it was just too much.

chester copperpot

It's only really a problem for me when the games crap, if I'm being entertained I don't notice it.

Ended up turning the TV off for the Cameroon game earlier, it was just too much.

I'm not telling porkies, I genuinely hadn't seen any, though haven't been on much since the WC started. These horns are doing ma tatas in. Seriously spoiling the enjoyment of the armchair fan IMO.

chester copperpot

I believe you are the first person to mention this since the world cup started last week.

I realise now that I would not be the first to mention this, but I did search for horns in the opening thread, and all it came up with was the individual matches.

My bad. :laugh:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Any received the txt going about regarding Vuvuzelas? I would tell it but it would get me an instant life time ban. :D

Any received the txt going about regarding Vuvuzelas? I would tell it but it would get me an instant life time ban. biggrin.gif

yes but I dont think it would merit a banwhistling.gif

Any received the txt going about regarding Vuvuzelas? I would tell it but it would get me an instant life time ban. :D

Nope.

PM.

chester copperpot

Any received the txt going about regarding Vuvuzelas? I would tell it but it would get me an instant life time ban. biggrin.gif

Is it to do with the send ?2 to Africa appeal?

The People's Chimp

Go on Alan, a wee PM over here please...whistling.gif

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Go on Alan, a wee PM over here please...whistling.gif

It wont be your cup of tea Juste, but I'll send it anyway!

P.S - I don't condone it!

P.P.S not sure if it'll work as my PM machine thing is a pile of shite.

EDIT: nope didn't work. Boomstick has it if you want it. It's not worth it though.

I P Knightley

Got to agree. As a blind person who can't get anything out the TV because all the commentators talk about everything in the world except what's going on on the pitch, I spend 99% of my time taking in radio commentaries. This world cup is totally ruined for me so far as you just can't hear any crowd reaction, even when a goal is scored, these damn horns get louder and that's it.... so frustrating, completely spoils it for me.

Understand the culture arguments, but na, it's eliminated the chants, the unique songs, there's just no audible atmosphere. If all you folks had to listen to games in your car on the radio, I bet you'd switch it off and watch the highlights later. Even the radio commentators are shouting at the top of their voices, it's crap.b

I was all set to comment that you can always switch the TV to mute as the commentary adds nothing (for me) but I can completely get where you're coming from with 'sensing the atmosphere' thing.

I usually watch big games either in the pub/club where there's good banter & atmosphere (so I have no idea whether the volume's up or down on the telly) or I'll watch at home with my three boys who talk the whole effing time so the volume stays down.

I have to say, though, if I was at the game and had someone blasting on one of those throughout, I'd have strong words. Strong words, I tell you!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I'm used to it, have been since match one. The most annoying thing about the vuvuzela, though, is every time you turn on a TV, open a newspaper, etc that is all they talk about - is it annoying. No, it's not, media luvvies moaning about it, daily, are extremely annoying.

There's a bloody football tournament on, talk about that.

What I hate is that the noise has no relation to what is happening on the pitch.

A good attempt on goal........horns blasting

A bad miss.......horns blasting

A corner......horns blasting

Nothing happening.......horns blasting

A goal.....horns blasting

That's exactly right. Any sense of a game's ebbs and flows being mirrored (or even encouraged) by the crowd noise is absent. Combined with the size of the stadia, and the distance of the cameras from the pitch, it feels as far away from actually being at a game as anything seen on TV for a while. Ironic, given the onward march of technology, that the atmosphere you could just about reach out and touch at, say Spain 82, was so much better.

Also, I imagine that in tuning down the volume to reduce the vuvuzela sound, the TV folk have just muted everything including the real crowd noise of chants and shouts.

Having said that, I've only seen two games so far (England and Italy) and they were fairly dull. Maybe if a good game came along I'd feel differently.

I'm sure they create quite an atmosphere if you are there. And if it's what they do there, you can't ban it. In Scotland, we don't even ban singing that really is offensive.

They had something similar at a Scotland v Iceland match a few years back, given away free by the sponsors (Morrisons / Safeway). Not a great success.

I P Knightley

I'm used to it, have been since match one. The most annoying thing about the vuvuzela, though, is every time you turn on a TV, open a newspaper, etc that is all they talk about - is it annoying. No, it's not, media luvvies moaning about it, daily, are extremely annoying.

There's a bloody football tournament on, talk about that.

There was always going to be a 'word of the tournament', wasn't there?

We had "metatarsal" in 2002 and "WAG" in 2006. 2010 brings us "vuvuzela"

I can't believe the fuss that's being made about them. It's absurd. They don't bother me in the slightest.

And I'd happily have them at Tynie. The place resembles a library most of the time, they would soon sort that out!

Say What Again

BBC Looking to transmit Vuvuzela free matches

BBC receives 545 vuvuzela complaints over World Cup

The BBC has received 545 complaints about the sound of vuvuzela horns during its World Cup coverage.

The corporation is considering showing coverage that cuts out the noise of vuvzelas on its red button service.

On Monday, World Cup organisers ruled out a stadium ban on the plastic horns, which can reach 130 decibels, following complaints from players and fans.

Experts say it is impossible to cut out the horns without affecting commentary and crowd noise.

The BBC says it has already "taken steps to minimise the noise".

Institute of Acoustics president Trevor Cox on cutting vuvuzela noise Can you block vuvuzelas? Cup chiefs rule out ban

"If the vuvuzela continues to impact on audience enjoyment, we will look at what other options we can take to reduce the volume further," a spokeswoman said.

The BBC is considering cutting out some of the vuvuzela noise on the red button service but says a final decision has yet to be made.

On Monday, Trevor Cox, president of the Institute of Acoustics, told the BBC News website's Magazine that vuvuzelas were tuned to a similar frequency to speech tones.

If broadcasters tuned out it would dampen the commentators' voices, he said.

"It would sound really horrible to notch these out - if one coincides with the vowel sound e, you won't be able to hear the -es in the commentary. It would sound unnatural," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10317767.stm

Hagar the Horrible

BBC receives 545 vuvuzela complaints over World Cup

The BBC has received 545 complaints about the sound of vuvuzela horns during its World Cup coverage.

The corporation is considering showing coverage that cuts out the noise of vuvzelas on its red button service.

On Monday, World Cup organisers ruled out a stadium ban on the plastic horns, which can reach 130 decibels, following complaints from players and fans.

Experts say it is impossible to cut out the horns without affecting commentary and crowd noise.

The BBC says it has already "taken steps to minimise the noise".

Institute of Acoustics president Trevor Cox on cutting vuvuzela noise Can you block vuvuzelas? Cup chiefs rule out ban

"If the vuvuzela continues to impact on audience enjoyment, we will look at what other options we can take to reduce the volume further," a spokeswoman said.

The BBC is considering cutting out some of the vuvuzela noise on the red button service but says a final decision has yet to be made.

On Monday, Trevor Cox, president of the Institute of Acoustics, told the BBC News website's Magazine that vuvuzelas were tuned to a similar frequency to speech tones.

If broadcasters tuned out it would dampen the commentators' voices, he said.

"It would sound really horrible to notch these out - if one coincides with the vowel sound e, you won't be able to hear the -es in the commentary. It would sound unnatural," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10317767.stm

Only if the commentator is from Yorkshire :thumbsup:

Say What Again

Only if the commentator is from Yorkshire :thumbsup:

Off topic but....

Yorkshire man takes his cat to the vet.

Yorkshireman: Ayup, lad, I need to talk to thee about me cat.

Vet: Is it a tom?

Yorkshireman: Nay, I've browt it with us.

A Yorkshireman's dog dies and as it was a favourite pet he decides to have a gold statue made by a jeweller to remember the dog by.

Yorkshireman: Can tha mek us a gold statue of yon dog?

Jeweller: Do you want it 18 carat?

Yorkshireman: No I want it chewin' a bone yer daft beggar.

I'd actually got used to them (I think perseverance is the key), untill a kid down the street got one.

Hagar the Horrible

Off topic but....

Yorkshire man takes his cat to the vet.

Yorkshireman: Ayup, lad, I need to talk to thee about me cat.

Vet: Is it a tom?

Yorkshireman: Nay, I've browt it with us.

A Yorkshireman's dog dies and as it was a favourite pet he decides to have a gold statue made by a jeweller to remember the dog by.

Yorkshireman: Can tha mek us a gold statue of yon dog?

Jeweller: Do you want it 18 carat?

Yorkshireman: No I want it chewin' a bone yer daft beggar.

Yorkshire man buries his wife and on the grave stone it said

"Ther lies a good wife"

he complains that it is missing an 'E' the undertakers say dont thee worry thou will get T fixed for you.

He comes back and it says "E Ther lies a good wife" :woot:

Thing is, whenever they show you a shot of the crowd - you never actually see anyone blowing the vuvuthings!

Archived