Tonight's televised debate

redm

I P Knightley

I enjoyed the debates but found it infuriating that once again politicians cant/wont answer simple questions,David Campbells refusal to answer any questions regarding the tory manifesto showed him up for the imposter he is.God help us all if Campbell is the next PM.

A dark horse?

'Mon the Campbell!!

Campbell for PM!!

He'd be no worse than any of the other contenders :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sterling Archer

I watched the first 45 minutes of the debate and from what I seen, Clegg and Brown were arguably the better performers.

I thought Cameron sidestepped more or less every single question he was asked about his policies and then jumped straight into his favourite "job tax is bad, the bosses of M&S & Sainsburys agree" speech. I'm astonished that most papers are suggesting that he won the debate, really goes to show how easily swayed some people are.

I thought Clegg was very assured and some of his points were, IMO, great ideas.

I thought Brown, overlooking his uncomfortable posture and general look, gave a decent account. However most people won't look past the fact that he looked uncomfortable which is unfortunate because I think he's got it in him to get the economy back on track, I'd certainly prefer him to the slimy buggers Cameron & Osborne.

I'm sure they know he didn't but they hope that if they keep writing/repeating it people will start to believe it.

rossthejambo

I'm sure they know he didn't but they hope that if they keep writing/repeating it people will start to believe it.

Of course, there is that element as well...but I'm sure there will be plenty people bought over by Cameron's "job tax" pish.

Another thing I had to laugh at was his attempt at defending his inheritance tax cuts. The guy's a complete tool.

Sterling Archer

Of course, there is that element as well...but I'm sure there will be plenty people bought over by Cameron's "job tax" pish.

Another thing I had to laugh at was his attempt at defending his inheritance tax cuts. The guy's a complete tool.

Favourite part of the debate was Nick Clegg just saying to him "yes or no david, yes or no?" and call me Dave STILL avoiding the question. How anyone can possibly vote for him is beyond me.

When I was down the road at the weekend I was talking to someone who said he thought call me Dave was the only one that was actually spelling out policies and giving answers as to how he would do things. :down:

rossthejambo

Favourite part of the debate was Nick Clegg just saying to him "yes or no david, yes or no?" and call me Dave STILL avoiding the question. How anyone can possibly vote for him is beyond me.

When I was down the road at the weekend I was talking to someone who said he thought call me Dave was the only one that was actually spelling out policies and giving answers as to how he would do things. down.gif

Credit where its due, he's a complete master at avoiding questions and changing topics.

I'm still not sure how he can possibly justify 6 billion pounds on "efficiency savings"...if Brown was right in saying that this 6 billion is on top of th 15 he's set out then that is absurd, especially since he's basically talking about stationary.

I'm yet to hear Cameron give a straight answer on any of his very vague policies.

Geoff Kilpatrick

My favourite part of this whole thread is the realisation that Mr Lawson is doing something outwith being on KB while the Election campaign takes place! teehee.gif

Sterling Archer

My favourite part of this whole thread is the realisation that Mr Lawson is doing something outwith being on KB...teehee.gif

Fixed

Yeah the written press thought Dave was going to stroll this election, hence why most of them jumped to backed the Tories. Unfortunately Dave and his mates are making a complete hash of it and they are now fearing egg on their faces.

I P Knightley

I felt he handled that better than Broon who got his answer early on but still kept banging on about it, indicating that he had very little else to complain about.

Cameron told him that the IHT thing was not a top priority and, relatively speaking, was a drop in the ocean compared to the NI rise - which it is. For Brown to bleat on about IHT is like those on JKB who (claim they) would refuse to pump some supermodel because she has a minute birthmark on her scalp or something.

Brown is yet to explain why it is fair that I, having paid every penny of tax due on my earnings through my career; been cautious with my expenditure; been sensible (lucky?) with my investments and set out to provide some comfort for my children's future, should pay tax again on the accumulated value of my post-tax earnings.

What kind of system is it that financially encourages someone to blow all their income on fast cars, booze, hookers and charlie? Is that what Gordon Brown wants? IS IT?? 'Cos it sure as hell sounds it...;)

Anyway, as I read it, the Conservatives are not planning on removing IHT liability from the wealthiest in the country, which is what Broon was claiming, wasn't it? They're leaving it in place for the wealthiest but shifting the threshold to reflect the inflationary increases in property values and incomes over the last couple of decades.

My favourite part of this whole thread is the realisation that Mr Lawson is doing something outwith being on KB while the Election campaign takes place! teehee.gif

I do hope Young Winston's expenses for this little jolly on the stump are going to receive proper scrutiny.

Judging by his last name-dropping session, a frightening amount of freeloading has already taken place. It's surely only a matter of time until the taxpayer is billed thousands for the rewiring of Shaun's gaff by a bloke he met in the pub whose name he unfortunately can't remember.

rolleyes.gif

rossthejambo

I felt he handled that better than Broon who got his answer early on but still kept banging on about it, indicating that he had very little else to complain about.

Cameron told him that the IHT thing was not a top priority and, relatively speaking, was a drop in the ocean compared to the NI rise - which it is. For Brown to bleat on about IHT is like those on JKB who (claim they) would refuse to pump some supermodel because she has a minute birthmark on her scalp or something.

Brown is yet to explain why it is fair that I, having paid every penny of tax due on my earnings through my career; been cautious with my expenditure; been sensible (lucky?) with my investments and set out to provide some comfort for my children's future, should pay tax again on the accumulated value of my post-tax earnings.

What kind of system is it that financially encourages someone to blow all their income on fast cars, booze, hookers and charlie? Is that what Gordon Brown wants? IS IT?? 'Cos it sure as hell sounds it...wink.gif

Anyway, as I read it, the Conservatives are not planning on removing IHT liability from the wealthiest in the country, which is what Broon was claiming, wasn't it? They're leaving it in place for the wealthiest but shifting the threshold to reflect the inflationary increases in property values and incomes over the last couple of decades.

You make good points.

Personally I'm indifferent on the NI increase because it doesn't affect me. I can see why people are against it though (I'm not a student, just don't earn enough for it to affect me).

The problem I have is that Cameron and the rest of the Tory's are leeching off of this Labour policy and constantly criticising it rather than explaining their ideas of how to cut the deficit and expanding on their ridiculously vague policies.

One thing that Cameron said last night puzzled me.

He wants to reduce Govt spending by ?6bn, cut out waste, efficiency savings etc, yet then wants top hand Government contracts to SME suppliers. He set a percentage level, but I can't remember what it was.

Now obviously I don't know what these contracts would be for or for how much, but my initial thought was that if you buy a product off a larger supplier your cost is going to be lower.

Surely Cameron's plan would lead to an increase in Government spending?

Geoff Kilpatrick

He wants to reduce Govt spending by ?6bn, cut out waste, efficiency savings etc, yet then wants top hand Government contracts to SME suppliers. He set a percentage level, but I can't remember what it was.

Now obviously I don't know what these contracts would be for or for how much, but my initial thought was that if you buy a product off a larger supplier your cost is going to be lower.

Would it?

I suppose it depends on what he's talking about, to be honest. I reckon a one-man band IT firm would be better value for money than Crapita for starters.

Sterling Archer

Indeed it would.

I hadn't considered that side of it but was bothered by his plan. I hate the idea that we should support an industry that is unsustainable just because it used to be there and is "traditional" . I'm sorry but if you can't produce at a level/price that is competitive then you go out of business.

A dark horse?

'Mon the Campbell!!

Campbell for PM!!

He'd be no worse than any of the other contenders :)

Yikes :blink: can you tell that i am right into this politics mallarky

The People's Chimp

I do hope Young Winston's expenses for this little jolly on the stump are going to receive proper scrutiny.

Judging by his last name-dropping session, a frightening amount of freeloading has already taken place. It's surely only a matter of time until the taxpayer is billed thousands for the rewiring of Shaun's gaff by a bloke he met in the pub whose name he unfortunately can't remember.

rolleyes.gif

Depending on how his career takes off after all this shameless toadying up to Senior Lib Dem figures it might be his gaffe that he needs to worry about.

Glamorgan Jambo

What kind of system is it that financially encourages someone to blow all their income on fast cars, booze, hookers and charlie? Is that what Gordon Brown wants? IS IT?? 'Cos it sure as hell sounds it...;)

Spot on :thumbsup: . They're counting on the fact that most people think they won't be affected by this.

Boris, the answer to your question is in the millions of JKB shed threads from people looking for a replacement boiler and being astounded at why the quote from a large organisation (British Gas/Centrica) is 2X that from the guy round the corner who's fitting exactly the same boiler but without the British Gas badge on the front.

Would it?

I suppose it depends on what he's talking about, to be honest. I reckon a one-man band IT firm would be better value for money than Crapita for starters.

You're probably right. I worked for a council where we got a 15 year old on work experience to sort out a finance system in two weeks when we had spent millons on consultants who couldn't do it in two years.

I thought Cameron was excellent last night and that performance may well have been enough to get the Tory vote up to the magic 40%+. The debate was much more like a Commons effort and why not - it's what our democracy is about. I hate all this talk about cosy meetings between politicians to stitch up the electorate. The fear for Labour must be that if Nick can hold the ground gained against them, they are staring at a comfortable Tory majority.

I thought Cameron was excellent last night and that performance may well have been enough to get the Tory vote up to the magic 40%+. The debate was much more like a Commons effort and why not - it's what our democracy is about. I hate all this talk about cosy meetings between politicians to stitch up the electorate. The fear for Labour must be that if Nick can hold the ground gained against them, they are staring at a comfortable Tory majority.

whilst i think a tory victory is just as likely as a hung parliament, to consider a comfortable tory victory seems absurd.

whilst i think a tory victory is just as likely as a hung parliament, to consider a comfortable tory victory seems absurd.

Not as absurd as you might think. If you type in to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8609989.stm and 40% C 27% Lab 26 % Lib you get a 26 seat majority. For each 1% fall beyond that Lab would haemorrhage very significant numbers of seats.

rossthejambo

Not as absurd as you might think. If you type in to http://news.bbc.co.u...010/8609989.stm and 40% C 27% Lab 26 % Lib you get a 26 seat majority. For each 1% fall beyond that Lab would haemorrhage very significant numbers of seats.

I think you could be working under the assumption that the Lib Dem gains will be from Labour. I wouldn't be too certain of that.

A hung parliament is going to be the more than likely scenario next Friday morning.

Not as absurd as you might think. If you type in to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8609989.stm and 40% C 27% Lab 26 % Lib you get a 26 seat majority. For each 1% fall beyond that Lab would haemorrhage very significant numbers of seats.

labour's core vote makes that very unlikely. they're guaranteed a great number of seats, and an underwhelming tory campaign has done little to dent these and, as ross has pointed out, you seem to be working under the assumption that the torys are doing nothing but gaining votes. Still, even at your, if not best, then certainly very optimistic prediction, 26 seats is hardly a comfortable tory victory; in fact its horrifically weak.

Even then, i'd be very surprised if the tories were to poll 40%. The truth will out eventually however.

Danny Wilde

Finger in the air ... but just for fun...

If I had to put a spread bet on it, then my guess would be a May 7th outcome that sees an outcome somewhere between an overall Tory majority of around 20...

to a Tory shortfall that sees them of around 30 seats shy of an overall majority.

The Labour vote down south is unlikely to increase from present levels, decline is more likely. Where that Labour drift goes to is anyones guess, but its as likely to be Conservative, BNP or UKIP as LibDem I'd think.

Similarly Clegg is in for 5 days of media assault from the Murdoch media, Telegraph, Mail, Express, Star etc Cameron of course getting bigged up at the same time. Immigration, Europe ... all the little Englander sentiments will all come to the fore to try to make Clegg look soft.

Clegg does seem to have a small but slow puncture, and given that the election will be won or lost in England, then its all about whether he can hold onto what he has. Can he do that ? I really don't know.

I P Knightley

A lot of the government contracts are unquestioned, sewn up deals with the big players like Crapita, Deloitte Consulting and CAP Gemini who deliver little value but make sure that their charge outs. The last thing these effers are going to do is pass on economies of scale to you, the end user - especially when you're a bloated, inefficient bureaucracy who hasn't an idea what you're trying to buy or how to buy it.

If you deal with a SME, you get less of the overhead, you get less of the administration, you get more control over the outputs and you stop lining the pockets of the arrogant fat-cats who take this kind of business for granted.

The figure he gave was 25%. I've no idea how they'll determine which 25% of contracts go to the SMEs and which 75% stay in the hands of the awful organisations who get them just now. There was no mention etiher of whether it would be 25% by number of 25% by value; whether it would be 25% nationally or 25% per authority.

If it worked, it would decrease spending and increase efficiency. Great plan but I'd need to see the detail.

I P Knightley

You make good points.

Personally I'm indifferent on the NI increase because it doesn't affect me. I can see why people are against it though (I'm not a student, just don't earn enough for it to affect me).

The problem I have is that Cameron and the rest of the Tory's are leeching off of this Labour policy and constantly criticising it rather than explaining their ideas of how to cut the deficit and expanding on their ridiculously vague policies.

You're spot on right with that final comment. If I had the inclination & the resources of a major political party, I'm certain that I could identify a few headline grabbing stats that would point the way to easy, straightforward savings that would address the problems rather than childishly spend my time bleating about big, bad Gordon and how he's managed to eff it up - a fact that is blatantly obvious to all but those with the red-tinted specs on.

It's so frustrating, I think I might just get back on the booze for the rest of the day.

Not as absurd as you might think. If you type in to http://news.bbc.co.u...010/8609989.stm and 40% C 27% Lab 26 % Lib you get a 26 seat majority. For each 1% fall beyond that Lab would haemorrhage very significant numbers of seats.

Hey TC!

That model is appallingly flawed. Great fun to play with but the Beeb acknowledge its deficiencies in the blurb.

Essentially, it assumes that a 1% drop in the labour vote (for example) will be consistent across all 650 constituencies. It doesn't factor in that in some constituencies (e.g. Luton) there is likely to be a very large swing, losing a Labour seat whilst not registering on the national swing statistics at all.

I was messing about with the tags on it and managed to get it to show that Labour having 0.1% of the vote (the smallest it would go) could still leave them with 28 seats in Parly.

Labour have to lose 24 seats to lose their majority. This will happen easily without registering much of a national swing.

The Tories have to gain (I think) about 110-115 seats to gain a majority. They have probably identified a couple of dozen where that's a given. They're now struggling to find the constituencies where they can top this up to the point that they're now targeting LibDem seats. They don't seem to be able to find enough to avoid a hung parliament.

I P Knightley

Finger in the air ... but just for fun...

If I had to put a spread bet on it, then my guess would be a May 7th outcome that sees an outcome somewhere between an overall Tory majority of around 20...

to a Tory shortfall that sees them of around 30 seats shy of an overall majority.

The Labour vote down south is unlikely to increase from present levels, decline is more likely. Where that Labour drift goes to is anyones guess, but its as likely to be Conservative, BNP or UKIP as LibDem I'd think.

Similarly Clegg is in for 5 days of media assault from the Murdoch media, Telegraph, Mail, Express, Star etc Cameron of course getting bigged up at the same time. Immigration, Europe ... all the little Englander sentiments will all come to the fore to try to make Clegg look soft.

Clegg does seem to have a small but slow puncture, and given that the election will be won or lost in England, then its all about whether he can hold onto what he has. Can he do that ? I really don't know.

I'll sell at 20.

How much do you want :)

shaun.lawson

rolleyes.gif

After this outrageous slur on my honour, I demand you give me satisfaction, at a time and place of my choosing. :angry:

To be serious: I'm actually doing this at a aubstantial loss to myself. About the only way to land a paid political job (ie. as an MP's researcher) is to intern for nothing for an indefinite period beforehand - and the only travel expenses you get back are those within London. I'm travelling in daily from Witney, and can barely afford what I'm doing at all.

But never mind: it's all pretty interesting, good fun and good experience. Contrary to my rep on here, the bit I really don't like (and am crap at anyway) is networking: it feels so fake and vacuous. But again, in order to get anywhere, I don't really have a choice.

Commander Harris

After this outrageous slur on my honour, I demand you give me satisfaction, at a time and place of my choosing.??:angry:

To be serious: I'm actually doing this at a aubstantial loss to myself. About the only way to land a paid political job (ie. as an MP's researcher) is to intern for nothing for an indefinite period beforehand - and the only travel expenses you get back are those within London. I'm travelling in daily from Witney, and can barely afford what I'm doing at all.

But never mind: it's all pretty interesting, good fun and good experience. Contrary to my rep on here, the bit I really don't like (and am crap at anyway) is networking: it feels so fake and vacuous. But again, in order to get anywhere, I don't really have a choice.

shaun, I've not read the whole thread, what are you up to if you don't mind me asking?

shaun.lawson

shaun, I've not read the whole thread, what are you up to if you don't mind me asking?

Interning in Islington for the Lib Dems.

After this outrageous slur on my honour, I demand you give me satisfaction, at a time and place of my choosing. angry.gif

Hope it's going well, Shaun.

thumbsup.gif

shaun.lawson

Hope it's going well, Shaun.

thumbsup.gif

It is, thanks. And I'm quietly confident that Islington South and Finsbury will be a Lib Dem gain, and we'll hold on to all our other seats in London. The weirdest bit is being cut off from the national campaign: many people in our office work insanely hard, and it's all local, local, local. Chances are I'll be drafted in to help observe the count next Thursday night/Friday morning - meaning national results will be coming in, and I won't know much about them!

It is, thanks. And I'm quietly confident that Islington South and Finsbury will be a Lib Dem gain, and we'll hold on to all our other seats in London. The weirdest bit is being cut off from the national campaign: many people in our office work insanely hard, and it's all local, local, local. Chances are I'll be drafted in to help observe the count next Thursday night/Friday morning - meaning national results will be coming in, and I won't know much about them!

You not going down the Sports Journalism road then?

Sean, they have tellies in London, and they will be on during the count. They always are in Scotland. Once you've sampled the initial box returns, there's just a lot of waiting unless there's a recount. You can watch the results at the count I'm sure.

How many seats are the Lib Dems currently estimating they will gain? I noticed that their top 20 marginal target seats require swings of between 0% to 3% - which is not a lot given the current state of the polls. It's surely going to be a hell of a lot more than that.

shaun.lawson

You not going down the Sports Journalism road then?

At some point down the line, sure. But the problem is you generally need an NCTJ qualification, which'd entail me taking out a massive loan which starts being repaid within a month of the course ending; and the salaries trainee journalists get are pathetic, unbelievable. Money isn't everything, of course - but I don't think it justifies the loan at all, so I'll probably try to break in in another way. Meantime, I need to find paid work in something that interests me: hence what I'm doing right now.

Sean, they have tellies in London, and they will be on during the count. They always are in Scotland. Once you've sampled the initial box returns, there's just a lot of waiting unless there's a recount. You can watch the results at the count I'm sure.

True - but I've already asked if I could bring a radio in, and they said no. Watching the election results every four or five years is a tradition of mine, basically - but the TVs in the town hall will have to do.

How many seats are the Lib Dems currently estimating they will gain? I noticed that their top 20 marginal target seats require swings of between 0% to 3% - which is not a lot given the current state of the polls. It's surely going to be a hell of a lot more than that.

If we end up with over 100 seats, we'll have done unbelievably well. As it is, we're confident where I am, and elsewhere in London. I dunno beyond that (I don't have any info on seats outside London) - but my gut feeling is a bit of our support might drift away over the next six days, and we'll end up on 80 seats or thereabouts. If we come 2nd on share of the vote, though: that'd be remarkable, and historic.

At some point down the line, sure. But the problem is you generally need an NCTJ qualification, which'd entail me taking out a massive loan which starts being repaid within a month of the course ending; and the salaries trainee journalists get are pathetic, unbelievable. Money isn't everything, of course - but I don't think it justifies the loan at all, so I'll probably try to break in in another way. Meantime, I need to find paid work in something that interests me: hence what I'm doing right now.

I was thinking of giving up on Engineering. Was looking at Journalism courses, I'd quite like to do football writing.

Is it that hard to get into? :mellow:

shaun.lawson

I was thinking of giving up on Engineering. Was looking at Journalism courses, I'd quite like to do football writing.

Is it that hard to get into? :mellow:

Once you've got a journalism qualification, you should find a job relatively quickly - but even that's by no means a certainty, because the whole industry's under so much pressure.

Once you've got a journalism qualification, you should find a job relatively quickly - but even that's by no means a certainty, because the whole industry's under so much pressure.

I was thinking about doing online writing as a hobby and try to get myself into Uni. Maybe try and get in that way. Not sure I'm good enough, but it's something I'd love to do for a job. :)

shaun.lawson

I was thinking about doing online writing as a hobby and try to get myself into Uni. Maybe try and get in that way. Not sure I'm good enough, but it's something I'd love to do for a job. :)

Yes. Do it. Get writing and get blogging. The greater your online profile becomes, and the more things you can mention on your CV, the better.

Yes. Do it. Get writing and get blogging. The greater your online profile becomes, and the more things you can mention on your CV, the better.

Probably need to improve my football knowledge and history before I'd try and start something like that.

shaun.lawson

Probably need to improve my football knowledge and history before I'd try and start something like that.

Stop making excuses, and get writing! :thumbsup:

Boris, the answer to your question is in the millions of JKB shed threads from people looking for a replacement boiler and being astounded at why the quote from a large organisation (British Gas/Centrica) is 2X that from the guy round the corner who's fitting exactly the same boiler but without the British Gas badge on the front.

I'll bet the local Poles would be cheaper!

Oh wait, they'll have been "capped" probably...

"Dave's" not thought this one through.

What are the local issues, Shaun?

Sounds like a great experience: good luck to you and I hope your candidate gets in.

I know what you mean about networking: I think people can see on my face that it gives me the boak.

shaun.lawson

What are the local issues, Shaun?

Hospitals, schools, a safer set of traffic lights near Angel station, that sort of thing. The focus of the local campaign is on how much Bridget Fox has done for Islington - not what the Lib Dems are doing nationally.

And I'm quietly confident that Islington South and Finsbury will be a Lib Dem gain......

Quietly confident? I thought Islington South and Finsbury was number three on the Lib Dem target list?

Harry Palmer

bigfeller, what's it like to have 'Dave' as your MP?

I have Darling as mine......

shaun.lawson

Quietly confident? I thought Islington South and Finsbury was number three on the Lib Dem target list?

Quietly confident, because I don't want to be complacent.

Archived