The NHL Playoffs thread

Gershwin

Even in the first period last night the Habs were battering them...then it all went wrong.

Just as well there are 3 periods then :whistling:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alwaysthereinspirit

mmmm OK Perhaps, but do we draw the line at the hometown Basketball team ?

I've been here 24 years and last night was as loud as I've heard the new or old Garden. Never been to a Celtic game though in either. Place was absolutely rocking.

As for drawing a line at our hometown basketball team. I can honestly say that in 24 years a Celtic sweat shirt, t-shirt or vest has never touched my body. thumbsup.gif

Caps starting to hit top form, here's hoping it lasts. Varlamov is also getting better and better. Have to say that the Montreal crowd must be one of the noisest I have heard in the NHL. Saying that they were pretty much silenced in the third period. Also great win for the Canucks down in LA. I can see alot of these games going all the way.

To be honest I'm surprised the Habs have even been in the series. Varlamov is a great goalie and I was surprised Th-eo started in the first two games - he was awesome in the 2nd period last night.

Went to a few games at the Bell Centre in 2007 (including Montreal vs Toronto match) and it was pretty wild. Not a patch on a good Hearts Hibs game though.

Cupar Jambo

It's that time of year again where I decide to deprive myself of sleep for a couple of months and watch the NHL playoffs late into the night.

Here's my predictions for the first round...but what do you think (particularly all those hockey aficionados from the Olympic final thread :whistling: )?

EAST

Capitals vs Canadiens

I'm a Habs man but I can't see past a 4-0 pumping for Montreal in this one. They've been playing **** and Washington should have way too much for them seeing as they finished with 32 more points in the regular season.

Devils vs Flyers

I have to say I wasn't expecting Philly to make it but last nights shoot out win to take the final spot should give them a massive boost. However, I still see NJ winning this series 4-2 as they have better goaltending and are much faster.

Sabres vs Bruins

I have to say I've not followed the Sabres much this year but any team with Ryan Miller in net should have a decent chance of making the conference finals. So I think this one is going to go to the final game but with Boston winning 4-3.

Penguins vs Senators

I don't know why but I can see a 'shock' on the cards here - maybe it's because I want it to happen :whistling: . Anyway, Sens to win the series 4-1 and Crosby to cry live on television.

WEST

Sharks vs Avalanche

Another 4-0 horsing here - surely San Jose can't bottle another post season. Plus the Avalanche have gone a little off the boil lately.

Blackhawks vs Nashville

Chicago have so many game winners, so I can't see past a Blackhawks win...I'm going to plump for 4-1 seeing as I'm not sure how the defensive injuries will affect Chicago in the postseason.

Canucks vs Kings

I think this will be tighter with Vancouver snatching it in game 6, on the road in LA. They probably should have gone further last year so I think they'll be more focused this time around.

Coyotes vs Red Wings

Phoenix have had a crackin' season but the Wings have come into form at the right time (a lot to do with getting their goal scorers back from injury) so I think they'll win in 6 here.

I don't know why but I can see a 'shock' on the cards here - maybe it's because I want it to happen :whistling: . Anyway, Sens to win the series 4-1 and Crosby to cry live on television.

The Pens will get better as the play-offs develop with our Sidney doin the biz

The Pens will get better as the play-offs develop with our Sidney doin the biz

Who do they stand to play in the next round? Another Caps Pens series like last year would be pretty decent.

Konrad von Carstein

Not happy with the way the Chicago-Nashville series is going :angry:

I smell disaster coming :(

Not happy with the way the Chicago-Nashville series is going :angry:

I smell disaster coming :(

I was watching the highlights of game 3 and it was pretty scrappy - can't see either team doing much this year myself. There was a cracking hit by Bouillon on one of the Blackhawks though. Always liked him at Montreal.

Konrad von Carstein

I'm surprised a bit cos after a wee dip, the Hawks seemed to pick up form towards the end of the regular season.

The best hit I've seen lately was the Sens guy (who crashed through the panels).

Was some debate as to whether it was legal or not...

I'm surprised a bit cos after a wee dip, the Hawks seemed to pick up form towards the end of the regular season.

The best hit I've seen lately was the Sens guy (who crashed through the panels).

Was some debate as to whether it was legal or not...

There you go. Nice wee win in Nashville and you're back on track!

Konrad von Carstein

There you go. Nice wee win in Nashville and you're back on track!

Aye, now the momentum needs to be carried onto Saturday...Hoping it's live on ESPN! :)

alwaysthereinspirit

Come on Bruins lets end this tonight and get a wee rest for round two. Gonna be tough though.

JamboInSouthsea

Neither game is being streamed as yet on ATDHE.net - any idea where else I could try?

JamboInSouthsea

At last - Montreal v Washington game on - albeit in french.

JamboInSouthsea

Absolutely cracking game between Canadiens and Capitals particularly 3rd period. Low scoring but tons of credit to both keepers.

Swithering over which game to watch next.

Absolutely cracking game between Canadiens and Capitals particularly 3rd period. Low scoring but tons of credit to both keepers.

Swithering over which game to watch next.

'mon the habs! Get it ******* round you.

Denny Crane

Canucks looked more like their old selves again. Samuelsson was superb (and what about Rick Rypien's punch!!)

Whitecapjambo

Canucks looked more like their old selves again. Samuelsson was superb (and what about Rick Rypien's punch!!)

Aye, that was a beauty. Canucks were really good last night, something finally seems to have clicked.

Great first round of the playoffs, really enjoyed every series so far.

bloody Red Wings lose. Series tied 3-3

Momentum's with phoenix now - that was some horsing the wings took there. But I think you'll find a much more disciplined Red Wings team in game 7.

JamboInSouthsea

Watching Capitols v Canadiens and what a game it's been; 0-2 after 1st period with the Canadiens looking like they're gonna slaughter Washington.

Crowd is going nuts and they actually sound more like a fitba one at the moment.

JamboInSouthsea

Cracking win for Montreal with their keeper Halak making an outstanding performance...can't wait for final game.

Cracking win for Montreal with their keeper Halak making an outstanding performance...can't wait for final game.

Just watched the highlights - Halak was amazing. The kick up the arse by playing Price in Game 3 seems to have worked. Reckon Price will get traded in the summer actually.

Putting Moen on the top line seems to have worked. I think I'll need to find somewhere to watch game 7 on Wednesday!

On a side note, it's funny to think Montreal defenceman PK Subban was playing at Murrayfield at the start of the season! :lol:

JamboInSouthsea

Think I might be ordering one of these for the living room :whistling:

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3054294

Almost as good as the real thing plus you can keep it forever.

Tonight's game in Montreal should be an absolute cracker, may have an early evening kip after my tea, get a few tinnies in then sit on the edge of my seat. Should be a noisy affair as well as the Canadians fans seem to be well up for it.

I predict a 4-2 win for Montreal.

alwaysthereinspirit

Bruins through.

They made it difficult for themselves though. Gave up 3 of the worst goals I've ever seen.

As mentioned by many already on this thread, NHL play-off hockey is the best. Especially elimination games.

JamboInSouthsea

Chicago v Nashville had a good first period though the game was fairly dull afterwards...or perhaps I was beginning to nod off after a long day.

JamboInSouthsea

Tonight's game in Montreal should be an absolute cracker, may have an early evening kip after my tea, get a few tinnies in then sit on the edge of my seat. Should be a noisy affair as well as the Canadians fans seem to be well up for it.

Or possibly the Wednesday game...bah lack of Zzzzzz's

Game 7 is actually tomorrow night and it's in Washington unfortunately. I can see the Caps winning it in OT - to think Montreal could have had this series wrapped up makes me feel it's going to be their night.

Big_Hearts_Runner

It's all quiet in Washington today, squeeky bum time indeed. Wed should be an exciting match!

JamboInSouthsea

Another late night begins - Red Wings v Coyotes.

Not bothered on the result but should be good to watch.

So it's San Jose vs Detroit and Chicago vs Vancouver in the West and the east is a bit up in the air...

If the Habs win it should be Pittsburgh vs Montreal and Philly vs Boston, but if the Caps win it'll be Washington vs Philly and Pittsburgh vs Boston - am I right there?

Stay tuned for more terrible predictions from me after tonight's game :whistling: .

winchester 73

It seems like weeks since the Flyers last played a game! Dont know whom I'd rather have play us next to be honest.

Boston or Washington. Hmmmm

It seems like weeks since the Flyers last played a game! Dont know whom I'd rather have play us next to be honest.

Boston or Washington. Hmmmm

Without Carter, Gagne and Laperriere I can't see you beating either.

JamboInSouthsea

So much for my prediction as Canadiens win 2-1 against Capitals with that man Halak man of the match again.

Can't believe that Washington couldn't score more as they had tons more shots and always looked like they should win but Montreal played better as a team plus they have Halak.

So much for my prediction as Canadiens win 2-1 against Capitals with that man Halak man of the match again.

Can't believe that Washington couldn't score more as they had tons more shots and always looked like they should win but Montreal played better as a team plus they have Halak.

There was a good point made on the NHL.com highlights...Washington have a team that's built for the regular season, but not for the playoffs.

Obviously I'm fairly biased, but I thought the Habs thoroughly deserved to win the series. Pittsburgh is going to be much harder though as they've got four lines of scoring and a pretty decent defence.

Anyway, here's my predictions (just looked at my originals and I seemed to have called the west better than the east).

EAST

Pittsburgh vs Montreal

The Habs should be flying after 3 straight wins against the league's best offence but I think they'll struggle to recapture that form. They need scoring from their top two lines if anything is going to happen here. I think the pens will win this one 4-2.

Philly vs Boston

It'll be interesting to see how the inactivity has affected the Flyers here. Plus they're missing two of their top scorers and one their key penalty killers. Plus Savard is back for the Bruins. Therefore I'm going to say 4-2 to the Bruins.

WEST

San Jose vs Detroit

Hmmm, not sure here. Both teams were pretty up and down in the first round although found some form towards the end of the series. I'm gonna plump for 4-3 Detroit.

Vancouver vs Chicago

I can't see past Vancouver here. I watched all the highlights of Chicago's first round game and they seemed pretty sloppy. It's gonna be 4-1 to the Canucks.

winchester 73

Without Carter, Gagne and Laperriere I can't see you beating either.

We weren't expected to beat the Devils.

Flyers in six games and Pittsburgh in five IMHO.

I have no interest in the western conference.

We weren't expected to beat the Devils.

Flyers in six games and Pittsburgh in five IMHO.

I have no interest in the western conference.

Ha ha, I have a similar feeling myself.

Although I have a soft spot for St Louis from the Turgeon days - it's still my favourite hockey jersey I own.

Konrad von Carstein

Vancouver vs Chicago

I can't see past Vancouver here. I watched all the highlights of Chicago's first round game and they seemed pretty sloppy. It's gonna be 4-1 to the Canucks.

Well I for one sincerly hope you get this prediction wrong.. <_<

ut of interest do you know how the head to head matchups between the two panned out during the season?

Konrad von Carstein

ut of interest do you know how the head to head matchups between the two panned out during the season?

Edit: 2 wins a piece...play offs are different but could be closer than you think..

Well I wasn't very good in the first round!

alwaysthereinspirit

Savard back for the Bruins has to be good even if only on the power play.

I'll be at game 5 if played. whistling.gif

Savard back for the Bruins has to be good even if only on the power play.

I'll be at game 5 if played. whistling.gif

How much are playoff tickets? I've always wondered? You got good seats?

JamboInSouthsea

My only predictions at the mo are that my body clock is gonna take months to get back into some sort of order after all these late nights I've had and those to come.

May try and post something more relevant as and when I wake up properly...don't hold your breath tho'.

Konrad von Carstein

Well I wasn't very good in the first round!

Here's hoping you maintain that form then..... :)

alwaysthereinspirit

How much are playoff tickets? I've always wondered? You got good seats?

4 tickets cost me $450. As for being good. They're upper balcony (318) about as far as you can get away from the ice. The good thing about the Garden is its steep just like Tynecastle. So you're more looking down on the ice than peering at it. Good views from anywhere in the Garden.

winchester 73

Ha ha, I have a similar feeling myself.

Although I have a soft spot for St Louis from the Turgeon days - it's still my favourite hockey jersey I own.

St Louis :o . That would be like supporting Falkirk. Brett Hull was good though.

Archived