The NHL Playoffs thread

Gershwin

It's that time of year again where I decide to deprive myself of sleep for a couple of months and watch the NHL playoffs late into the night.

Here's my predictions for the first round...but what do you think (particularly all those hockey aficionados from the Olympic final thread :whistling: )?

EAST

Capitals vs Canadiens

I'm a Habs man but I can't see past a 4-0 pumping for Montreal in this one. They've been playing **** and Washington should have way too much for them seeing as they finished with 32 more points in the regular season.

Devils vs Flyers

I have to say I wasn't expecting Philly to make it but last nights shoot out win to take the final spot should give them a massive boost. However, I still see NJ winning this series 4-2 as they have better goaltending and are much faster.

Sabres vs Bruins

I have to say I've not followed the Sabres much this year but any team with Ryan Miller in net should have a decent chance of making the conference finals. So I think this one is going to go to the final game but with Boston winning 4-3.

Penguins vs Senators

I don't know why but I can see a 'shock' on the cards here - maybe it's because I want it to happen :whistling: . Anyway, Sens to win the series 4-1 and Crosby to cry live on television.

WEST

Sharks vs Avalanche

Another 4-0 horsing here - surely San Jose can't bottle another post season. Plus the Avalanche have gone a little off the boil lately.

Blackhawks vs Nashville

Chicago have so many game winners, so I can't see past a Blackhawks win...I'm going to plump for 4-1 seeing as I'm not sure how the defensive injuries will affect Chicago in the postseason.

Canucks vs Kings

I think this will be tighter with Vancouver snatching it in game 6, on the road in LA. They probably should have gone further last year so I think they'll be more focused this time around.

Coyotes vs Red Wings

Phoenix have had a crackin' season but the Wings have come into form at the right time (a lot to do with getting their goal scorers back from injury) so I think they'll win in 6 here.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JamboInSouthsea

Looking forward to it myself pal although the only downside about the playoffs for Stanley Cup as opposed to the league games is that there tends to be less scrapping than usual.

Have no predictions for what will happen as haven't been able to view many of the games this season as internet has been a pain up til recently.

Tommy Wiseau

It's that time of year again where I decide to deprive myself of sleep for a couple of months and watch the NHL playoffs late into the night.

Here's my predictions for the first round...but what do you think (particularly all those hockey aficionados from the Olympic final thread :whistling: )?

EAST

Capitals vs Canadiens

I'm a Habs man but I can't see past a 4-0 pumping for Montreal in this one. They've been playing **** and Washington should have way too much for them seeing as they finished with 32 more points in the regular season.

Devils vs Flyers

I have to say I wasn't expecting Philly to make it but last nights shoot out win to take the final spot should give them a massive boost. However, I still see NJ winning this series 4-2 as they have better goaltending and are much faster.

Sabres vs Bruins

I have to say I've not followed the Sabres much this year but any team with Ryan Miller in net should have a decent chance of making the conference finals. So I think this one is going to go to the final game but with Boston winning 4-3.

Penguins vs Senators

I don't know why but I can see a 'shock' on the cards here - maybe it's because I want it to happen :whistling: . Anyway, Sens to win the series 4-1 and Crosby to cry live on television.

WEST

Sharks vs Avalanche

Another 4-0 horsing here - surely San Jose can't bottle another post season. Plus the Avalanche have gone a little off the boil lately.

Blackhawks vs Nashville

Chicago have so many game winners, so I can't see past a Blackhawks win...I'm going to plump for 4-1 seeing as I'm not sure how the defensive injuries will affect Chicago in the postseason.

Canucks vs Kings

I think this will be tighter with Vancouver snatching it in game 6, on the road in LA. They probably should have gone further last year so I think they'll be more focused this time around.

Coyotes vs Red Wings

Phoenix have had a crackin' season but the Wings have come into form at the right time (a lot to do with getting their goal scorers back from injury) so I think they'll win in 6 here.

Good thread. Is there anywhere that a young buck like myself who has Sky but not ESPN can watch this steez?

Agree with most of your predictions, by the way. As a Flyers man, I'm just hoping that one of the top goaltenders is going to be fit for the series, because with Boucher in net the results went through the floor. It'd be a wasted opportunity as well, as from what I've seen of the NJDs, they're not the team their league position suggests. Gagne is due Philly a big post-season after his injury troubles, and he missed a few huge chances last night which should make him more determined to make an impact - kind of like Lindros, though, I think he's now forever going to be a lost talent due to the crazy number of concussions he's suffered over the years.

Sadly, I think the Penguins will win over the Sens, but I love the Crosby bawling image anyways. :laugh:

Good thread. Is there anywhere that a young buck like myself who has Sky but not ESPN can watch this steez?

Agree with most of your predictions, by the way. As a Flyers man, I'm just hoping that one of the top goaltenders is going to be fit for the series, because with Boucher in net the results went through the floor. It'd be a wasted opportunity as well, as from what I've seen of the NJDs, they're not the team their league position suggests. Gagne is due Philly a big post-season after his injury troubles, and he missed a few huge chances last night which should make him more determined to make an impact - kind of like Lindros, though, I think he's now forever going to be a lost talent due to the crazy number of concussions he's suffered over the years.

Sadly, I think the Penguins will win over the Sens, but I love the Crosby bawling image anyways. :laugh:

I'm not sure where you can watch it...NHL.com is pretty good for highlights and I know you can subscribe to watch live stuff online but it's not the same as the telly.

My plans to watch the playoffs were thrown into tatters when my bird decided to jettison me, just as I was about to sign up for ESPN in the flat - ended up having to move out as I couldn't afford the double rent...boo!

Looks like it's going to be online viewing for me...

winchester 73

As soon as the Flyers are eliminated I am chucking ESPN. The only reason I pay for it is for the ice hockey.

About time the Flyers won the cup again. Bring on the Devils. Flyers 5-1 against them this year I believe.

Konrad von Carstein

I would like to suggest that this is made a sticky please Mods. As the playoffs progress towards the inevitable Chicago Blackhawks triumph :mellow: there will no doubt be umpteen threads started so a single thread for the duration of the rest of the competition would be cool. kthnks :thumbsup:

The games will all be available on www.atdhe.net, that's usually where I watch them.

For what it's worth i.e. nothing, I'm going for

Caps to beat the Habs

Flyers to beat the Devils

Sabres to beat Bruins

Pens to beat Sens

Nashville to beat Chicago

Sharks to beat Colorado

Canucks to beat the Kings

Red Wings to beat the Coyotes.

Caps over Habs

Devils over Flyers

Sabres over Bruins

Pens over Sens

Chicago over Nashville

Sharks over Colorado

Canucks uber alles, including Kings

Coyotes over Detroit.

Whitecapjambo

EAST

Capitals vs Canadiens

Devils vs Flyers

Sabres vs Bruins

Penguins vs Senators

WEST

Sharks vs Avalanche

Blackhawks vs Nashville

Canucks vs Kings

Coyotes vs Red Wings

I can't wait. This place has been too quiet since the Olympics finished. Playoffs are class.

I will predict that the Caps don't make it to the conference final, and the overall winner will come out of the west. The only danger of that not happening is that the teams are so tight here the all beat each other up and the eventual finalist is burst.

I'll go for....

East

Caps in 5 vs Montreal

Devils in 5 vs Philly

Sabres in 4 vs Boston

Pens in 6 vs Sens

West

Sharks in 6 vs Avs

Blackhawks in 6 vs Nashville

Canucks in 5 vs LA ( I am a little biased here but if Lou gets his **** together then they should be fine)

Detroit in 7 vs Pheonix

It will be great as usual.

On another note, I managed to scoop $100 for finishing second in my first ever hockey pool. Many disgruntled Canadian work colleagues!

Can't see past the Caps this year. They just seem to have goals coming from everywhere.

Denny Crane

Go Canucks - Lou to stop em and the Sedins to score em!

However, I do hope the Canadiens win their tie v Caps as I'm holidaying in Quebec next month and wouldn't mind taking in a play-off game.

Tommy Wiseau

NHL.com's video previews of the matchups are excellent, well worth checking out.

The bad news is that Emery and Leighton are both out injured for the majority of the playoffs, so you can rule us out right away. Shame.

Every year I say I'm going to watch these, then never do.

I've been meaning to get to a Capitals game for about 3 seasons now, I've not even made it since they've been back in the "Elite" league.

Watched some of the pundits on TV yesterday. They seem to think a lot of it, more so than usual will be decided by goalkeeping. Teams like Chicago, Sharks, Capitals are dynamic goal getters but their goalies can be shaky. Brodeur in N.J is a great goalie but even he has been shaky of late. Luongo to be honest has been crap, if he returns to his real game he could take them a good distance. Howard has been good in Detroit, but may lack experience for the playoffs. Anderson has been good in Colorado but had cooled off at the end of the regular season.

It seems the goalies that were involved in the Olympics have cooled off, hopefully the playoffs get the desire and adrenalin going

Will be watching some of the Canucks games in the MGM at Vegas, started watching last year at the same time but a few of us had to leave because of the odious volume of cigar smoke, couldnae breathe, couldnae even see. ;)

Watched some of the pundits on TV yesterday. They seem to think a lot of it, more so than usual will be decided by goalkeeping. Teams like Chicago, Sharks, Capitals are dynamic goal getters but their goalies can be shaky. Brodeur in N.J is a great goalie but even he has been shaky of late. Luongo to be honest has been crap, if he returns to his real game he could take them a good distance. Howard has been good in Detroit, but may lack experience for the playoffs. Anderson has been good in Colorado but had cooled off at the end of the regular season.

It seems the goalies that were involved in the Olympics have cooled off, hopefully the playoffs get the desire and adrenalin going

Will be watching some of the Canucks games in the MGM at Vegas, started watching last year at the same time but a few of us had to leave because of the odious volume of cigar smoke, couldnae breathe, couldnae even see. ;)

Hopefully it's all about the goalies.. Halak for the Conn Smythe!

alwaysthereinspirit

I can't wait. This place has been too quiet since the Olympics finished. Playoffs are class.

I will predict that the Caps don't make it to the conference final, and the overall winner will come out of the west. The only danger of that not happening is that the teams are so tight here the all beat each other up and the eventual finalist is burst.

I'll go for....

East

Caps in 5 vs Montreal

Devils in 5 vs Philly

Sabres in 4 vs Boston

Pens in 6 vs Sens

West

Sharks in 6 vs Avs

Blackhawks in 6 vs Nashville

Canucks in 5 vs LA ( I am a little biased here but if Lou gets his **** together then they should be fine)

Detroit in 7 vs Pheonix

It will be great as usual.

On another note, I managed to scoop $100 for finishing second in my first ever hockey pool. Many disgruntled Canadian work colleagues!

Sabres in 4 over my Bruins? Come onangry.gif

Whitecapjambo

Hopefully it's all about the goalies.. Halak for the Conn Smythe!

Yeah, I think the goalies will make or break it for most teams.

Bob's right, Lou has been useless since the Olympics but he should raise his game. Even Miller cooled off a bit after the Olympics. I think the main thing that will hold back the Caps, Hawks and San Jose is their keepers. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if Fleury got hot and the Pens go really deep in the East (he was brutal for large parts of the season).

Canucks Detroit conference final, thats my bet! Winner Playing the Devils or Pens in the Final.

Whitecapjambo

As a leafs fan, sadly I do not care :(

Sore one with the draft lottery....do you think Kessel will do the damage next year?

alwaysthereinspirit

Sore one with the draft lottery....do you think Kessel will do the damage next year?

Kessel will score for fun but the Bruins traded him because he has no hassle in him. Just a wee bit of defence from him could make all the difference. Bruins now need to make it count with this second pick.

Tommy Wiseau

The games will all be available on www.atdhe.net, that's usually where I watch them.

For what it's worth i.e. nothing, I'm going for

Caps to beat the Habs

Flyers to beat the Devils

Sabres to beat Bruins

Pens to beat Sens

Nashville to beat Chicago

Sharks to beat Colorado

Canucks to beat the Kings

Red Wings to beat the Coyotes.

Nice one, thanks. Watching the Flyers now - great stuff.

'Mon the Habs. Great win in Washington last night, and no shots for Ovechkin. Could both first seeds go tumbling out?

Denny Crane

Go Canucks - great save by Loungo in overtime!

Highlights are up on the NHL website

Go Canucks - great save by Loungo in overtime!

Highlights are up on the NHL website

It was quite funny watching him trying to get the stick out of his pads afterwards...

Jonathan Quick had a pretty decent game there...almost snatched a win for his team by the look of things.

Whitecapjambo

It was quite funny watching him trying to get the stick out of his pads afterwards...

Jonathan Quick had a pretty decent game there...almost snatched a win for his team by the look of things.

Yeah, he was good. Much better than he has been recently. Canucks should have had that tied up earlier than that. Think it will be a tough series though.

This first round is mental. Never seen so many close games....excellent viewing.

Check out Sutton's hit on Leopold. Nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isbX3B8y8GE

Whitecapjambo

Kessel will score for fun but the Bruins traded him because he has no hassle in him. Just a wee bit of defence from him could make all the difference. Bruins now need to make it count with this second pick.

Yeah, sorry about the prediction Always.....it will be a really tight series and to be honest I don't see enough of the east to make a better Judgement. From what I saw of the game last night yous were very unlucky. Is Savard totally done for the season??

I think Kessel will be a good player for a long time but it's kinda funny just to watch burkey try and justify the trade. 2 first rounders is a lot to give up for someone when you are as bad as the Leafs were this year. Everyone pretty much hates him out here.

alwaysthereinspirit

Yeah, sorry about the prediction Always.....it will be a really tight series and to be honest I don't see enough of the east to make a better Judgement. From what I saw of the game last night yous were very unlucky. Is Savard totally done for the season??

I think Kessel will be a good player for a long time but it's kinda funny just to watch burkey try and justify the trade. 2 first rounders is a lot to give up for someone when you are as bad as the Leafs were this year. Everyone pretty much hates him out here.

Savard could be back but the Bruins would at least have to be in the second round for that to happen. Even then he could be so out off game shape he'd need a few games just to get up to speed. Can see the series going 7.

As for the draft picks, this could cost Burke his job if the Leafs are poor again next season and the Bruins get another high pick.

Can't believe Montreal blew a 4-1 lead over the Caps. I think the momentum has shifted in this one. Quite amazing to see how close all the series are.

Can't believe Montreal blew a 4-1 lead over the Caps. I think the momentum has shifted in this one. Quite amazing to see how close all the series are.

I hope that the Caps win the Stanley cup, but haven't been too impressed with them in the series against Montreal so far. Thought that they kind of took their foot off the gas once they had secured the top seed overall, and it's taking them a while to get back into top gear, hopefully the comeback win in OT against Montreal in game 2 has given them a boost and they can take it on from there.

Also would like to see the Canucks do well. Wife is from Vancouver, and I've seen them several times when I have been over. Never seen them lose when I have been at one of their games.

Big_Hearts_Runner

Was at the caps game on Saturday evening - brilliant! Not quite as good as Tyne but dramatic end!

alwaysthereinspirit

Was at the caps game on Saturday evening - brilliant! Not quite as good as Tyne but dramatic end!

Will be at the Garden Wednesday night. Play off hockey is the bees knees.

A bit of a horsing for the Habs last night. Gutted. If only we'd won that second game in Washington. Can't anything else but a 4-1 series win now for the Craps.

Will be at the Garden Wednesday night. Play off hockey is the bees knees.

Lucky kents. Been to a few NHL games but I've always fancied some playoff action live. I think I'd biff myself.

'Mon the Habs. Great win in Washington last night, and no shots for Ovechkin. Could both first seeds go tumbling out?

Not after last nights thumping. habs had a great chance in that overtime loss on Sat night. Methinks they may have lost their chance. Not an NHL fam myself so dont know too much about the teams but do have a couple of friends who go to Caps games as ST holders so for them I'm rooting for The Caps

Not after last nights thumping. habs had a great chance in that overtime loss on Sat night. Methinks they may have lost their chance. Not an NHL fam myself so dont know too much about the teams but do have a couple of friends who go to Caps games as ST holders so for them I'm rooting for The Caps

Even in the first period last night the Habs were battering them...then it all went wrong.

alwaysthereinspirit

I hope as a Red Sox fan Tom there's a wee bit of Bruin in you hiding in the closet.thumbsup.gif

JamboInSouthsea

Watching the Penguins v Senators game...6-3 after 2nd period, quality stuff.

Tommy Wiseau

Flyers on fire against the Devils - 2-1 up in the series, and Dan Carcillo, who is no more than a checker usually, has just scored his second huge goal of the series to put them 3-1 up in game 4. Unreal.

JamboInSouthsea

This game is 7-4 now and just been a huge scrap on the ice, and almost off it, will be watching one of the other games afterwards as only a couple of mins playing time to go.

Flyers on fire against the Devils - 2-1 up in the series, and Dan Carcillo, who is no more than a thug usually, has just scored his second huge goal of the series to put them 3-1 up in game 4. Unreal.

Changed it for you :whistling:

I guess that's what the playoffs is all about: the desire of the lesser players to push the team forward.

This years' playoffs seem to have really opened with a bang...the post season is usually all about tight defence and awesome goal tending but a 7-4 playoff game. What's that all about!?

Anyway, I predict Montreal are going to scrape a win in OT tonight (and Carey Price is going to start in nets). Heart over head and all that :thumbsup: .

Ha ha just watched the Philly highlights. Carcillo's reaction to his goal is hilarious.

Still waiting on a good playoff beard. I know it's just a week in but not seen an early pace setter for the beard title.

Good to see my predictions have been completely baws so far!

JamboInSouthsea

Of the games tonight, what do people think is the biggest needle match as I like to watch a bit of scrapping with my ice hockey?

Tommy Wiseau

Changed it for you :whistling:

I guess that's what the playoffs is all about: the desire of the lesser players to push the team forward.

This years' playoffs seem to have really opened with a bang...the post season is usually all about tight defence and awesome goal tending but a 7-4 playoff game. What's that all about!?

Anyway, I predict Montreal are going to scrape a win in OT tonight (and Carey Price is going to start in nets). Heart over head and all that :thumbsup: .

:D

That's what checker means, is it not?! Come on, it's Broad Street - they have to have at least one or two Donald Brashear style hooligans!

Was loving Carcillo's reaction as well - it was the exact look the guy I play football with has when he scores a rare goal (God love him, he's a trier, but awful, awful, awful). It's a look that says, "**** off, no way have I just done that!"

Would obviously be delighted to see them progress in NJ at the weekend, they've been light years ahead of the Devils in the series.

I'm backing you all the way for the Canadiens - as many Canadian teams as possible need to go through, please.

Of the games tonight, what do people think is the biggest needle match as I like to watch a bit of scrapping with my ice hockey?

Not sure...playoff hockey doesn't usually have many scraps as the teams are scared to take penalties. I'd maybe watch Buffalo Boston first as it'll be quite tight and then the end of LA Vancouver if you're staying up all night.

Meant to say - alwaysthereinspirit, I hope you're making a Hearts sign for this evening at the Boston game.

:D

That's what checker means, is it not?! Come on, it's Broad Street - they have to have at least one or two Donald Brashear style hooligans!

Was loving Carcillo's reaction as well - it was the exact look the guy I play football with has when he scores a rare goal (God love him, he's a trier, but awful, awful, awful). It's a look that says, "**** off, no way have I just done that!"

Would obviously be delighted to see them progress in NJ at the weekend, they've been light years ahead of the Devils in the series.

I'm backing you all the way for the Canadiens - as many Canadian teams as possible need to go through, please.

Aye but he's always been a bit of a goon, in the Tie Domi mould. Never liked him either.

JamboInSouthsea

Yeah playoffs are a bit low on the scrapping front although there was a a good brawl at end of Senators game last night.

Hopefully there'll be some good high scoring games tonight and will see how awake I am for west coast one...off out for a few bevvies this eve so will see what happens.

**** off Washington :verymad:

Caps starting to hit top form, here's hoping it lasts. Varlamov is also getting better and better. Have to say that the Montreal crowd must be one of the noisest I have heard in the NHL. Saying that they were pretty much silenced in the third period. Also great win for the Canucks down in LA. I can see alot of these games going all the way.

I hope as a Red Sox fan Tom there's a wee bit of Bruin in you hiding in the closet.thumbsup.gif

mmmm OK Perhaps, but do we draw the line at the hometown Basketball team ?

Archived