Gay Parents

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It was not pertinent to anything.

In 2017 you are simply not going to get bullied for being black, most schools have many .  The gay kid however will always be the target still to this day.  Having gay parents is not just fuelling a fire, it is pouring on an olympic sized swimming pool full of accelerant on to it.

I'm glad you brought up that we have made strides towards eliminating racism from our society, long way to go, but certainly progress. We got there through developing acceptance, and integration over many years.

Similarly we have made huge strides towards being accepting towards homosexual people. And at a pace a heck of a lot faster than we did with black people over the centuries. 

Your attitude for me would only impede on that progress. It's a long and difficult road towards equality. I think the destination is worth the journey. 

"In 2017 you are simply not going to get bullied for being black" You are well out of touch on this one i8. An outrageous comment that one.

I'm not sure why you brought gay kids into the discusison when this is about gay adoption. Unless of course you just assume gays bring up gays?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You go into school with scuffed shoes - you will get the utter shit kicked out of you for being a scaff.  **** me go into school with your 2 daddies holding hands - well I fear for them I really do.

Well, it's up to our generation to stop our kids from being horrific little bullies. Keep them away from homophobia and it should all be fine and dandy.

That stuff is learned behaviour.

When I was at school, nobody was 'out'.

Now, being out isn't an issue and homophobic bullying doesn't seem to exist any more as kids have grown up in a society were being homosexual is completely acceptable.

For that reason, I can't imagine having gay parents would have any difference on kids now.

What about kids of parents who came out being gay AFTER they were born? Do they get bullied cause their dad is gay?

Which is probably why education on the matter is so important.  Statistically most schools will have many gay pupils.  

If kid's can be educated to understand that racism is not acceptable in this day and age then why can they not be similarly educated to understand that homophobia is not acceptable?  

The only thing "fueling a fire" is the belief that being gay is wrong.  The only place it says that is in religious text and in church.  Yet we have gay ministers? 

Being bullied whether you are black or gay is unacceptable, if education helps stop that then I am all for it.  

Not gay parents though.  

Education will not stop it, that is just a cop out in my opinion.  Does education stop murder and rape? We all know that is wrong.  Bullies will always always exist and circle like sharks - all the education on the planet will not change this.

Not gay parents though.  

Does education stop murder and rape? We all know that is wrong.

Violent crime rates have dramatically reduced over the last 50-60 years. What is the reason for that do you think? Luck?

Violent crime rates have dramatically reduced over the last 50-60 years. What is the reason for that do you think? Luck?

More investigative tools at the police's disposal.  CCTV, DNA etc.  It is much mouch harder to get away with it.

The people of the world have not just suddenly became nicer.

More investigative tools at the police's disposal.  CCTV, DNA etc.  It is much mouch harder to get away with it.

The people of the world have not just suddenly became nicer.

So the millions spent on developing sex ed classes over the last 20-30 years have done zilch to tackle sexual assault and rape crimes? The beasts are just too scared their DNA might catch them out so are keeping it in their trousers.

I notice you have chosen to not defend your claim that black people don't get bullied at school anymore. Wise move.

Салатные палочки

Not gay parents though.  

Education will not stop it, that is just a cop out in my opinion.  Does education stop murder and rape? We all know that is wrong.  Bullies will always always exist and circle like sharks - all the education on the planet will not change this.

I was never educated on murder and rape in school.  I'm really not sure that is an argument.  

I don't want to derail the point of the thread but yes there will always be bullies, because there will always be people insecure in their sexuality or with their social circumstances.  Perhaps if they were educated to know that how they feel and how they are inclined is not wrong, then they don't have to bottle it up, resulting in them taking their frustrations out on those who are, perhaps weaker or are more accepting of their sexuality/feelings.  

So the millions spent on developing sex ed classes over the last 20-30 years have done zilch to tackle sexual assault and rape crimes? The beasts are just too scared their DNA might catch them out so are keeping it in their trousers.

I notice you have chosen to not defend your claim that black people don't get bullied at school anymore. Wise move.

There is far far far more sexual crimes against children now so how does that fit into your reasoning?  This is however down to the internet.  I don't think there are more beasts nowadays it is just easier for them.

John Findlay

I was never educated on murder and rape in school. I'm really not sure that is an argument.

I don't want to derail the point of the thread but yes there will always be bullies, because there will always be people insecure in their sexuality or with their social circumstances. Perhaps if they were educated to know that how they feel and how they are inclined is not wrong, then they don't have to bottle it up, resulting in them taking their frustrations out on those who are, perhaps weaker or are more accepting of their sexuality/feelings.

I am very comfortable and secure in my heterosexuality.

Салатные палочки

I am very comfortable and secure in my heterosexuality.

As am I and I'm sure many others who post on here.  I'm sure you're not a bully either.  

But that wasn't the point I was making.  

There is far far far more sexual crimes against children now so how does that fit into your reasoning? 

Because children are being educated and made aware of safe routes of disclosing to adults they trust compared to the 70's when they were told to keep quiet or they would go to Hell. They are being told from an early age that this behaviour is not normal.

Far more crimes? Or far more reported crimes? 

It fits perfectly into my reasoning.

Салатные палочки

Because children are being educated and made aware of safe routes of disclosing to adults they trust compared to the 70's when they were told to keep quiet or they would go to Hell. They are being told from an early age that this behaviour is not normal.

:spoton:

When I was at school, nobody was 'out'.

Now, being out isn't an issue and homophobic bullying doesn't seem to exist any more as kids have grown up in a society were being homosexual is completely acceptable.

For that reason, I can't imagine having gay parents would have any difference on kids now.

What about kids of parents who came out being gay AFTER they were born? Do they get bullied cause their dad is gay?

Kids these days seem take all that stuff in their stride. No big deal for them at all, it's normal everyday life. They're way more mature about it than a lot of adults.

John Findlay

As am I and I'm sure many others who post on here. I'm sure you're not a bully either.

But that wasn't the point I was making.

You are correct. I am not a bully. I have seen bullying in action and I despise it with a passion. The irony in this bullying was it was two homosexual men bullying a black man. Taught me it takes all kinds to make the world.

Regal Kingston

You're always going to get gay people - most are born that way, some grow into it.

Some gay people want kids and some don't.

The flaming ones probably don't as they love the carefree lifestyle.

Ordinary intelligent same sex couples are just as good parents as heterosexuals. To think 'gayness' rubs off on people is naive.

Remember gay people had heterosexual parents and that didn't change anything.

You're always going to get gay people - most are born that way, some grow into it.

Some gay people want kids and some don't.

The flaming ones probably don't as they love the carefree lifestyle.

Ordinary intelligent same sex couples are just as good parents as heterosexuals. To think 'gayness' rubs off on people is naive.

Remember gay people had heterosexual parents and that didn't change anything.

:gok:

I think it's pretty obvious that educating nursery kids on same sex relationships will be nothing more than "Some families have a mummy and daddy, some have a mummy and mummy, some have a daddy and daddy, some have just a mummy or daddy. And there's nothing wrong with any of them."

That's how you stop kids bullying about it as well. You tell them there's nothing wrong with having gay parents. You tell them gay parents are just as good as straight parents. Over time, you eradicate it. Seems straightforward to me.

I think it's pretty obvious that educating nursery kids on same sex relationships will be nothing more than "Some families have a mummy and daddy, some have a mummy and mummy, some have a daddy and daddy, some have just a mummy or daddy. And there's nothing wrong with any of them."

That's how you stop kids bullying about it as well. You tell them there's nothing wrong with having gay parents. You tell them gay parents are just as good as straight parents. Over time, you eradicate it. Seems straightforward to me.

Norm this is not a dig as you're alright by the way but were you home schooled?  Seriously man you can drill it into every kid straight from the cradle but bullies will bully.  They don't do it as they think it is right or wrong, they don't give a shit.  They will kick the living shite of a kid with gay parents for no other reason than to be accepted and to look cool.  That is how bullies work.  They will 100% know that what they are doing is wrong and zero ****s will be given.  As I said earlier, something like a hearing aid or serious acne would be a morsel of minute steak for these lions.  Gay parents would be like 500 kilos of pure premium steak for them to feast on.

fabienleclerq

What does it actually say? I'm not clicking that link. 

If by 'sex relationship lessons' it means including same sex couples in classes or stories in the same way that we discuss heterosexual couples than why not? That's the real world. Life's rich tapestry.

It's basically saying they should have "age appropriate" conversations about gay people and about "transgender issues". For me they are Toddlers and they are too young and it would confuse them. I'll teach my son about these things when i feel he is ready, for me it shouldn't be done at nursary age and im not sure why they'd want to teach them about transgender people at that age tbh. LGBT for me are coming across a bit like modern feminists in that it's no longer about equality.

fabienleclerq

It was not pertinent to anything.

In 2017 you are simply not going to get bullied for being black, most schools have many .  The gay kid however will always be the target still to this day.  Having gay parents is not just fuelling a fire, it is pouring on an olympic sized swimming pool full of accelerant on to it.

:gfy:

Captain Sausage

Don't have much of an issue with two guys, or two girls for that matter, in a long-term loving relationship adopting (or having kids by whatever relevant means).

What I don't get is the sheer number of utter scumbags and unstable people who are having kids. We are regulated by the government on everything, yet whenever I'm at the maternity hospital, we are outnumbered by single 15 year old mothers-to-be (many already with kids and granny in tow - granny happens to be a similar age to my wife at 31) who kick and scream at the slightest inconvenience. Prime example being last month when the consultant was running 45 minutes late. This young girl went up to the receptionist and threatened to batter her if she didn't see the consultant NOW! It's also truly depressing to see how they treat their other offspring.

My wife and I have scrimped and saved to make sure we're in a position to give our child everything in the world. It just doesn't seem like that's the case with a lot of people - they don't seem to take the decision as seriously as it should merit.

So to the original point, I have absolutely no qualms with people of the same sex being parents - so long as they're stable, caring and really want the family.

Maybe people should look at the statistics for kids in care (which is the alternative to adoption for most) before running their ****ing mouths about gay adoption.

I'm sure most of the kids affected would prefer some bullying at school over jail, drug addiction or any other number of things that a life in care leads to for most. The limited studies that have been done in the U.S on gay adoption have found someone adopted by gay parents is not any more or less likely to have social issues as an adult than those adopted by heterosexual parents.

Staggering ignorance on display from the usual suspects.

Captain America

Don't have much of an issue with two guys, or two girls for that matter, in a long-term loving relationship adopting (or having kids by whatever relevant means).

What I don't get is the sheer number of utter scumbags and unstable people who are having kids. We are regulated by the government on everything, yet whenever I'm at the maternity hospital, we are outnumbered by single 15 year old mothers-to-be (many already with kids and granny in tow - granny happens to be a similar age to my wife at 31) who kick and scream at the slightest inconvenience. Prime example being last month when the consultant was running 45 minutes late. This young girl went up to the receptionist and threatened to batter her if she didn't see the consultant NOW! It's also truly depressing to see how they treat their other offspring.

My wife and I have scrimped and saved to make sure we're in a position to give our child everything in the world. It just doesn't seem like that's the case with a lot of people - they don't seem to take the decision as seriously as it should merit.

So to the original point, I have absolutely no qualms with people of the same sex being parents - so long as they're stable, caring and really want the family.

This

Not gay parents though.

Education will not stop it, that is just a cop out in my opinion. Does education stop murder and rape? We all know that is wrong. Bullies will always always exist and circle like sharks - all the education on the planet will not change this.

Absolute nonsense that kids would be bullied about being gay/having gay parents but not bullied for having a black mum/dad.

Utterly made up by you based on heresay and your own bigoted imagination.

I have three children at school and I've heard of bullying for numerous reasons but not because of sexuality. The schools make massive efforts now to promote tolerance in most areas and big improvements have been made in this area particularly.

I'm very pleased when I ask my kids about how gay kids are treated. Nothing but mutual respect and tolerance from most pupils. The schools come down incredibly hard on anything related to homophobia.

Bullies will be bullies regardless of what they choose to pick on but massive steps have been taken to eliminate 19th century thinking.

Norm this is not a dig as you're alright by the way but were you home schooled? Seriously man you can drill it into every kid straight from the cradle but bullies will bully. They don't do it as they think it is right or wrong, they don't give a shit. They will kick the living shite of a kid with gay parents for no other reason than to be accepted and to look cool. That is how bullies work. They will 100% know that what they are doing is wrong and zero ****s will be given. As I said earlier, something like a hearing aid or serious acne would be a morsel of minute steak for these lions. Gay parents would be like 500 kilos of pure premium steak for them to feast on.

Oh, I'm well aware of nasty kids are. Since my kids are as German as they are Scottish, I'm just waiting for the day my kids come back from school saying they've been bullied. Most likely it'll be kids goose stepping and throwing out Hitler salutes.

But the thing is, the little shits will always find something to bully about. I don't think banning stuff that is good, like giving a child a loving home, is the best way to combat it. It should be a case of educating kids that's alright or kicking out the ones who are wee *******s.

My daughter is a teaching assistant at a school in Vancouver and a few of the parents are same sex. No-one gives a monkeys. Least of all the Bairns. It's a posh school but she says it really ain't an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jambo 4 Ever

Shouldn't the parents have a say in whether they want their toddlers to learn about this sort of thing at such a young age?

Is homophobia still a thing never mind among toddlers?

So is sectarianism :facepalm:

Shouldn't the parents have a say in whether they want their toddlers to learn about this sort of thing at such a young age?

If they don't want their kids to learn this, I'm sure there's plenty of private, church based nurseries that won't teach it. Or they can decide not to send their kids to nursery.

But since the people of the UK agree, more or less, that it's OK to be gay and have a gay family, then there's no reason why any state funded nursery shouldn't address the fact that there are gay families, that gay families are perfectly OK and there's nothing wrong if you come from one. If the parents have a problem with that, that's their issue.

Craig Gordons Gloves

If it was "we're going to teach your 3/4 year olds about anal beads" then yes.  If it's - hey kids, this is the reality of the world around you then no.

The White Cockade

If they don't want their kids to learn this, I'm sure there's plenty of private, church based nurseries that won't teach it. Or they can decide not to send their kids to nursery.

But since the people of the UK agree, more or less, that it's OK to be gay and have a gay family, then there's no reason why any state funded nursery shouldn't address the fact that there are gay families, that gay families are perfectly OK and there's nothing wrong if you come from one. If the parents have a problem with that, that's their issue.

why would a Nursery be teaching/talking about sexuality at all?

I can't imagine they do

Bindy Badgy

I can't imagine they do

I can't see it being anything beyond "some families have two mummies and others have two daddies".

Nothing to add to this i8?

I can't see it being anything beyond "some families have two mummies and others have two daddies".

Exactly.

fabienleclerq

My kid starts nursary in a few months, Im not sure he's old enough to register that families have two mums or dads he just see's people for what they are. I think he's too young to worry about it tbh and I'm not sure it needs brought up at that age.

Jambo 4 Ever

My kid starts nursary in a few months, Im not sure he's old enough to register that families have two mums or dads he just see's people for what they are. I think he's too young to worry about it tbh and I'm not sure it needs brought up at that age.

Agreed

Not gay parents though.  

Education won't stop it? Why not? You just said that "in 2017 you are simply not going to be bullied for being black". Why's that then - what's changed? Education and challenging bullies.

The bringing it up part will most likely be having stories where families don't just consist of mum and dad, but will have dad and dad or mum and mum as well. I'd doubt it'd be anything more serious than that. And if that's the case, I don't see how that's anything to worry about. Making it normal doesn't have to be a sit down chat explaining why Johnny has two mums and the intricacies of scissoring. It can be as simple as introducing them to stories where families don't just consist of the traditional ideal. The story doesn't even have to make any issue of the fact it's two mums, just the fact that they're in the story is enough.

AlphonseCapone

Actually that's the best time for this message to be brought to kids, when they barely register it. If they are read a story about two dads etc, they'll barely think anything of it but the idea deeps into their sub-consciousness. When they later come across that situation when they are older, they won't think anything of it because in the back of their mind where they can't even reach, it's normal, they've came across it, the mind will barely register it.

That's how we go about tackling discrimination imo, with kids. Many adults are beyond changing now as we all have likely experienced with a grandparent.

I can't imagine they do

There's a link a few posts back to an article discussing the possible implementation of this....it's what bumped the thread.

Absolutely no harm from it being merged into the nursery setting gently....like others have said, through stories. Tolerance and acceptance are best taught from as young an age as possible.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Education won't stop it? Why not? You just said that "in 2017 you are simply not going to be bullied for being black". Why's that then - what's changed? Education and challenging bullies.

Mainly because the amount of blacks in our schools have increased significantly. It is not the 60s or 70s when say there was the odd 'non white' in a classroom, most classrooms I would say now have high % of 'non whites'. Bullies go for the 'odd one out' and that does not apply here anymore.

fabienleclerq

The bringing it up part will most likely be having stories where families don't just consist of mum and dad, but will have dad and dad or mum and mum as well. I'd doubt it'd be anything more serious than that. And if that's the case, I don't see how that's anything to worry about. Making it normal doesn't have to be a sit down chat explaining why Johnny has two mums and the intricacies of scissoring. It can be as simple as introducing them to stories where families don't just consist of the traditional ideal. The story doesn't even have to make any issue of the fact it's two mums, just the fact that they're in the story is enough.

I get your point and you're probably right, I'm not convinced it's a big enough issue to be going out the way to get books with two dads etc. I suppose my concern would be if he questions said book is he too young to understand the explanation? The chances of him coming across the scenario of gay parents is slim (especially in fife, I'm more likely to explain why tommy's mum and dad are brother and sister!) I don't think he needs to register it at 3 years old. I never had books with same sex parents and I'm not homophobic but then maybe this would be beneficial to kids from parents who are. Basically I'm not convinced it's needed or that he's old enough, I find it hard to argue your points though so maybe I'm wrong.

fabienleclerq

Actually that's the best time for this message to be brought to kids, when they barely register it. If they are read a story about two dads etc, they'll barely think anything of it but the idea deeps into their sub-consciousness. When they later come across that situation when they are older, they won't think anything of it because in the back of their mind where they can't even reach, it's normal, they've came across it, the mind will barely register it.

That's how we go about tackling discrimination imo, with kids. Many adults are beyond changing now as we all have likely experienced with a grandparent.

I've replied to norm which would cover most of this, the only bit I would like to pick up on is the kids and discrimination bit.

I have two points, people naturally discriminate imo. They gravitate towards people who are the same. If your in a situation where the train platform is full of hubs you'd go towards the Hearts end. I think it's a normal thing to do and kids are the same if they weren't would education about discrimination be necessary? Im not convinced it's unnatural for kids to separate themselves from people who are different.

Mainly because the amount of blacks in our schools have increased significantly. It is not the 60s or 70s when say there was the odd 'non white' in a classroom, most classrooms I would say now have high % of 'non whites'. Bullies go for the 'odd one out' and that does not apply here anymore.

Not even a hint of irony. Astounding.

Mainly because the amount of blacks in our schools have increased significantly...

There's no discussion to be had with you if you seriously call black people, "blacks".

AlphonseCapone

I've replied to norm which would cover most of this, the only bit I would like to pick up on is the kids and discrimination bit.

I have two points, people naturally discriminate imo. They gravitate towards people who are the same. If your in a situation where the train platform is full of hubs you'd go towards the Hearts end. I think it's a normal thing to do and kids are the same if they weren't would education about discrimination be necessary? Im not convinced it's unnatural for kids to separate themselves from people who are different.

You are correct in that people unconsciously discriminate, every one of us. And that would therefore include children. It's an evolutionary tendency for us to gravitate to what we know and those who are like us (it's why the tribal nature of football works so well). But at the same time, most of us being decent folk understand this and consciously make sure we don't do anything that discriminates intentionally against people.

But what we consider discrimination and acceptable changes throughout generations. So it wasn't seen as malice to use certain "short-hands" in the 80's that we would likely never use now. Similarly, I'd never have learned about gay parents at school because it wasn't a thing. But now it will be (albeit still very small numbers), and I think these initiatives are just a way to adapt to the current generational changes we are going through.

Whether 3 years old is too young, I guess that'll always be up for debate at this moment in time but if the premise is that there is nothing wrong with gay parents then there shouldn't be any restrictions on when kids come across this, imo.

There's no discussion to be had with you if you seriously call black people, "blacks".

Let me guess.................does that make me a racist?.

Let me guess.................does that make me a racist?.

I don't know you, so I couldn't say.

It means I can't take anything you have to say seriously....or give it any merit.

Archived