Where is this?

jambogaz1968

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think it could be the other end of The Caledonian Canal at Corpach near Fort William.

6 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I think it could be the other end of The Caledonian Canal at Corpach near Fort William.

Corpach sea lock,the other end of the Caledonian canal,depends on which way you going i suppose 😀

Edited by Tott

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Tott said:

Corpach sea lock,the other end of the Caledonian canal,depends on which way you going i suppose 😀

I started at the wrong end 😄Been to Corpach and should have been my first guess. It's known as Neptune's Staircase with all the Locks there!

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I started at the wrong end 😄Been to Corpach and should have been my first guess. It's known as Neptune's Staircase with all the Locks there!

Its in the area, Neptunes  Staircase is further up,about another mile.

Corpach sea locks is series of 3 locks leading to Loch Linnhe .

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Tott said:

Its in the area, Neptunes  Staircase is further up,about another mile.

Corpach sea locks is series of 3 locks leading to Loch Linnhe .

That's good information. I remember walking along the path beside the canal as far as the staircase but it was a few years back. Got a train back into The Fort from Corpach if my memory serves me right.

5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

That's good information. I remember walking along the path beside the canal as far as the staircase but it was a few years back. Got a train back into The Fort from Corpach if my memory serves me right.

Spot on,station is right next to the lock.

Nice walk when the midges aint out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2023 at 21:08, Tott said:

Aaargh

Can’t believe I’ve just seen this one

:facepalm:

(and Banavie station is just across the road from Neptune’s Staircase)

Edited by FWJ

Footballfirst
44 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Grand Canyon?

Don't think so. There aren't many "pointy" mountains either side of the GC.  Looks more like a lake or a fjord.

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Don't think so. There aren't many "pointy" mountains either side of the GC.  Looks more like a lake or a fjord.

Maybe further North, Canada?

Footballfirst
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

Maybe further North, Canada?

Certainly could be the Rockies, but nowhere that I've visited before, although I have been to western Canada and the States several times.

highlandjambo3
18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park.

👍that’s the fellow……just south east of the town Jasper.  That clump of trees sticking out is a sacred Indian place of worship and, special ceremonies take place there from time to time……… us mortals are not allowed to walk on that patch.

11 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

👍that’s the fellow……just south east of the town Jasper.  That clump of trees sticking out is a sacred Indian place of worship and, special ceremonies take place there from time to time……… us mortals are not allowed to walk on that patch.

Spirit Island. I'll just need to persuade a native to give me a lift on his/her shoulders.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The underground reservoir had laid empty since waterworks moved to Glencorse (Image: Historic Environment Scotland)

I just held down on the image to pop it into another tab and the address of the website and where it is so I’ll dodge this one as it wasn’t where I thought it was. 

46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The underground reservoir had laid empty since waterworks moved to Glencorse (Image: Historic Environment Scotland)

Aha. I clicked through to an article on that last night when looking at old memories of a certain Scottish city, so I'll leave it to someone else.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Aha. I clicked through to an article on that last night when looking at old memories of a certain Scottish city, so I'll leave it to someone else.

I was aware of the location and it's purpose, but hadn't seen any images of what was actually on site, until I picked up on the same link as you probably did. 

Just now, Footballfirst said:

I was aware of the location and it's purpose, but hadn't seen any images of what was actually on site, until I picked up on the same link as you probably did. 

It would be lovely if they did something with it. I love old locations like that.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I just held down on the image to pop it into another tab and the address of the website and where it is so I’ll dodge this one as it wasn’t where I thought it was. 

That's the problem with using photos from the web as there is usually a little search image box appearing in the top right hand corner of the screen now. 

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That'll be the waterworks at Alnwickhill.

It is indeed.  The image was of one of the underground water storage facilities on site. The reservoir supplied East Edinburgh and was fed from Gladsmuir and Fala.  Most of the site is now housing.

Oblique aerial view centred on the waterworks, taken from the SSW.

Oblique aerial view.

Edited by Footballfirst

30 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It is indeed.  The image was of one of the underground water storage facilities on site. The reservoir supplied East Edinburgh and was fed from Gladsmuir and Fala.  Most of the site is now housing.

Oblique aerial view.

And there was me checking out water cisterns in Rome & Istanbul. 😄

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Oblique aerial view.

Good find there, FF. 👍 A real piece of Edinburgh history which still existed until fairly recently. 

I think you mean it was fed from Gladhouse and Talla Reservoirs, not Gladsmuir & Fala !!  😎

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Good find there, FF. 👍 A real piece of Edinburgh history which still existed until fairly recently. 

I think you mean it was fed from Gladhouse and Talla Reservoirs, not Gladsmuir & Fala !!  😎

Gladhouse & Talla v Gladsmuir & Fala?

Confused?

You will be after an episode of 'Soap'. 😆

All I know is that Edinburgh really does have some ... well lots of ...  things that are truly amazing.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Gladhouse & Talla v Gladsmuir & Fala?

Confused?

You will be after an episode of 'Soap'. 😆

All I know is that Edinburgh really does have some ... well lots of ...  things that are truly amazing.

😃  Ahhh... you remember that too ?  It was unashamedly cringey and corny, but somehow quite watchable too.      

15 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

😃  Ahhh... you remember that too ?  It was unashamedly cringey and corny, but somehow quite watchable too.      

I kinda like the stuff shown on daytime telly.

But ... not much chance of ever seeing 'Soap' again, more's the pity.

Bergerac?

Bestest theme tune ever ...

1st episode ... 70 pence for a whisky on the hydrofoil from France to Jersey. 😆

Compare that with £21 for a pint & chaser in Trondheim ... 🤣

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, you are correct about the sources of the water supply to Alnwickhill. Brain freeze!

35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes, you are correct about the sources of the water supply to Alnwickhill. Brain freeze!

A 'brain freeze'? That's not like you.

You OK?

🤔

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

😃 I know that feeling !!     On the subject of treatment of water from reservoirs to the south,  a massive project was undertaken in the early 90s to install a 50-mile pipe under fields from the newly constructed Megget reservoir  (just over the next valley from Talla)  in to Glencorse Reservoir.   When the water level in Glencorse drops due to drought & household usage, Scottish Water "opens the  tap" - and gravity brings the water  50 miles nearer Edinburgh.   

Impressive stuff.   Its similar to how Thirlmere in the Lake District supplies water to Lancashire.

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Is it part of Inch Garvie under the Forth Rail Bridge. 

Well, you're not far wrong.

Photo taken from this afternoon's trip on board the Maid of the Forth.

But ... what's the name of that particular rocky outcrop?

Clue #1 obliquely referenced a famous wrestler, which makes what I've just written clue #2.

Lovely day, by the way ...

Screenshot_20231012_182557_Gallery.jpg