**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

Dawnrazor
Just now, neilnunb said:

Until about 3:30am, maybe 4am.

Ta, I've never watched a game but quite interested, I'll not stay away until 4 o'clock though!

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

muldoon74
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Ta, I've never watched a game but quite interested, I'll not stay away until 4 o'clock though!

This is my third superbowl, I have no idea what's going on but got chips, dips n buds on the go making an effort to get into it.. 😂

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

This is my third superbowl, I have no idea what's going on but got chips, dips n buds on the go making an effort to get into it.. 😂

I can't even see where the ball is 🤷🤣 but Craig Doyle got a wee Gallagher Premiership mention there 😎

Dawnrazor

I bet it's hoaching with fan ny there!

Edited by Dawnrazor

muldoon74
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I bet it's hoaching with fan ny there!

It's Vegas so it'll be bought and paid for.. 😲😂

Just now, muldoon74 said:

It's Vegas so it'll be bought and paid for.. 😲😂

very similar to dundee, you can use chips to pay for it

10 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

The basic rules are easy enough.
It's all the niggly wee rules that try to cover every single possible situation that make it confusing.

The team with the ball has 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards; if they do then they get another 4 attempts to move it another 10 yards and so on.
It's very similar to the 5th tackle rule in Rugby League. The attempts are called "downs".

A touchdown is worth 6 points, then the scoring team can either kick the ball over bar for 1 extra point or try to run it in again for 2 extra points.
Field goals are worth 3.
A Safety is a very rare case when the team with the ball get tackled inside their own touchdown zone, this scores 2 points for the tackling team.

There is also a 1 point Safety but it's such a stupid rule and so rare that it's never happened in the professional NFL.

Edited by Cade

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

very similar to dundee, you can use chips to pay for it

🤣🤣

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's all the niggly wee rules that try to cover every single possible situation that make it confusing.

The team with the ball has 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards; if they do then they get another 4 attempts to move it another 10 yards and so on.
It's very similar to the 5th tackle rule in Rugby League. The attempts are called "downs".

A touchdown is worth 6 points, then the scoring team can either kick the ball over bar for 1 extra point or try to run it in again for 2 extra points.
Field goals are worth 3.
A Safety is a very rare case when the team with the ball get tackled inside their own touchdown zone, this scores 2 points for the tackling team.

You can, loosely, see the similarities between NFL and both Rugby Union and League, the 15 a few minutes ago just slotted in and did what a Fullback would do, I don't know if the 15 number is a Fullback type roll?

muldoon74
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Field goals are worth 3.

There is also a 1 point Safety but it's such a stupid rule and so rare that it's never happened in the professional NFL.

Cheers that's actually made it a lot more clear. 👍 Be able to follow it a bit better now..

Like you say though.its the niggly stuff and tactics that really baffle me! 😂

muldoon74
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You can, loosely, see the similarities between NFL and both Rugby Union and League, the 15 a few minutes ago just slotted in and did what a Fullback would do, I don't know if the 15 number is a Fullback type roll?

Funnily enough last couple of years I've watched it with an (albeit school boy level) ex rugby players head on. 

This is first year I'm really trying to understand a wee bit of the intricacies and tactics. 

Failing so far but at least really trying to separate them as different sports ..

J.T.F.Robertson
3 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Cheers that's actually made it a lot more clear. 👍 Be able to follow it a bit better now..

Like you say though.its the niggly stuff and tactics that really baffle me! 😂

I've followed it since the mid-seventies and there are still certain calls I can't pick out when watching.

Love the game though and if you want to get into it (like anything) decide on a team you'll follow.

HINT: 

Pittsburgh

Edinburgh

muldoon74
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Always nice seeing Mahomes sacked :pleasing:

I'm guessing sacked means tackled?

That mahomes boy was dithering a fair bit before he was taken down there. 

The position he plays appears to be similar scrum half/standoff in rugby? 

I'm trying to see the evolution of positions to understand it better... 

I'm guessing sacked means tackled?

That mahomes boy was dithering a fair bit before he was taken down there. 

The position he plays appears to be similar scrum half/standoff in rugby? 

I'm trying to see the evolution of positions to understand it better... 

sacked is when the quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimage. i.e. the line they play the ball from

muldoon74
4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

sacked is when the quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimage. i.e. the line they play the ball from

Cheers, understanding terminology makes it more enjoyable. 

Even though no score so far it's more enjoyable than last year's where it seemed they were "back to the studio" every 2 minutes. Game seems to be flowing, such as it can, better tonight.

muldoon74

I may have taken the piss in the past but one thing I've always admired is the ability to throw a ball like that! 

Quarterback is the Main Man. 

The start of every play sees the ball delivered into his hands, from where he dictates the play of the team.

Usually, the big guys in the front line try to protect him, the wee guys on the wings try to break out downfield and get free for a pass from the Quarterback.

With, of course, about a thousand caveats on that, but that's the gist of it. 

49ers win would be a great story with Purdy and it would stop the Chiefs becoming the new Evil Empire (like the Patriots were before them)

But then a KC win would give a decent percentage of the right wing voting population a stroke....

So I'm not all that bothered who wins this.

Just now, neilnunb said:

Kelce throwing a tantrum.

He seems a bit pissed off alright.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Blake Lively mouthing a very clear "shut the **** up" at that huge Mahomes throw. 😄

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

swifty has told him if they dont win he s getting dumped and she is writing a song about him

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Anger issues.

Watch yourself, Taylor!!!

muldoon74
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Mahomes done for intentional grounding...about time. Gets away with it so often.

One of the stv commentary team said mahomes was greatest ball player ever... 2years ago Brady of the patriots was the GOAT ( FIRst TIME ID heard that saying actually)... 

Also why does no.92 of the 49ers remind me of the cowardly lion? 🙄

muldoon74
Just now, Cade said:

:scenes:

Not watched a lot of the sport obviously but that's the first time I've ever seen a backwards pass and more than one pass on a play.. 

Result? Touchdown. 

Should do it more often... 

Not watched a lot of the sport obviously but that's the first time I've ever seen a backwards pass and more than one pass on a play.. 

Result? Touchdown. 

It's usually considered far too risky, but when it works it's :sweeet:

muldoon74
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's usually considered far too risky, but when it works it's :sweeet:

Made a nice change from the 1 throw and down stuff which makes up the vast majority of what we see...

coatbridgejambo

Would love to watch this to the end but not even halftime yet & I'm struggling 

The Big Question is:

Do I watch whatever rapper they've picked for half time this year?

Or do I re-watch Prince, Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones, The Who or Paul McCartney's half time shows instead?

:kirk:

J.T.F.Robertson
13 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Result? Touchdown. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4D7TVItbmE&pp=ygUvYW50d2FhbiByYW5kbGUgZWwgdG91Y2hkb3duIHBhc3MgdG8gaGluZXMgd2FyZCA%3D

😇

muldoon74
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Big Question is:

Do I watch whatever rapper they've picked for half time this year?

Or do I re-watch Prince, Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones, The Who or Paul McCartney's half time shows instead?

:kirk:

I'm watching today's game I recorded while watching fast forwarded to good bits... 

Can't stand the half time shows.. American razamatazz taken to the nth degree... 

1 minute ago, muldoon74 said:

I'm watching today's game I recorded while watching fast forwarded to good bits... 

Can't stand the half time shows.. American razamatazz taken to the nth degree... 

There was a (sadly short) golden era;

2005 Paul McCartney

2006 The Rolling Stones
2007 Prince
2008 Tom Petty
2009 Bruce Springsteen
2010 The Who

Then it all went to shit.