**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

PortyJambo

Rees-Zammit with a decent but not electric 4.44s 40, but only a 29" vertical and 9'7" broad jump, which are...not good.

He may be back playing rugby sooner than expected, although supposedly 3 NFL teams have offered him a spot as in International Player on their practice squads.

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Rees-Zammit with a decent but not electric 4.44s 40, but only a 29" vertical and 9'7" broad jump, which are...not good.

He may be back playing rugby sooner than expected, although supposedly 3 NFL teams have offered him a spot as in International Player on their practice squads.

I honestly think that it's near impossible for a very good rugby player to make the transition to the NFL, they are up against guys that have ingrained muscle memory of the movements required in the NFL and thats the reason the combine/pro day follow specific exercises, with the broad jump Rees-Zammit is over a foot off the top level guys for the position he's trying out for

PortyJambo
36 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I honestly think that it's near impossible for a very good rugby player to make the transition to the NFL, they are up against guys that have ingrained muscle memory of the movements required in the NFL and thats the reason the combine/pro day follow specific exercises, with the broad jump Rees-Zammit is over a foot off the top level guys for the position he's trying out for

Yeah, the odds are very long of converting to the NFL, especially at the age rugby players try it out.

Jordan Mailata is the only real success story (apart from kickers), and he's playing a position of OT that really has nothing to do with what he did when he played rugby league. Transferring rugby skills to be a RB or WR, or even CB/S, is going to be extremely unlikely unless you've played both games from a young age.

RustyRightPeg
21 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

He's more suited to being a running back than a WR. He's used to contact and spotting holes in defenses. I don't think he's cut out to be a WR.

milky_26

changes to the kick off for next season

Kickoffs will remain at the 35-yard line, but the remaining 10 players on the kicking unit will line up at the opposing team's 40-yard line. The receiving team lines up with at least seven players in the "set-up zone," a five-yard area between their own 35- and 30-yard lines, with a maximum of two returners can line up in the landing zone.

After the ball is kicked, the kicker cannot cross the 50-yard line and the 10 kicking team players cannot move until the ball hits the ground or a player in the landing zone or goes into the end zone. The receiving team's players in the set-up zone also cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone. The returner(s) may move at any time before or during the kickoff.

Kickoff scenarios:

• Kickoffs that hit the landing zone must be returned.
  • Kickoffs that hit the landing zone and then go into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. If downed, the receiving team would get the ball at its own 20-yard line.
  • Kickoffs that go into the end zone and stay inbounds that are downed would give the receiving team the ball at their own 30-yard line. Kickoffs that go out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) would also be a touchback at the receiving team's 30-yard line.
  • Kickoffs short of the landing zone would be treated like a kickoff out of bounds, and the receiving team would get the ball at its own 40-yard line.

The legislation also will lead to a tweak in onside kicks, which can only occur in the fourth quarter and onward when a team trails. The kicking team must declare its intent to onside kick.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-pass-new-kickoff-rule-at-annual-league-meeting

On 21/03/2024 at 14:16, PortyJambo said:

Breaking news that he's signing for the Chiefs!!!

milky_26
41 minutes ago, Ribble said:

should be confirmed tomorrow

Mikey1874
On 28/03/2024 at 09:40, Ribble said:

Would be in their up to 90 man training squad, which is cut to 53 in August. So not quite about to play. 

PortyJambo
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Would be in their up to 90 man training squad, which is cut to 53 in August. So not quite about to play. 

He'll get playing time in pre-season, and he's pretty much guaranteed to get a place on their 16 man practice squad after the cut to 53 players on the main squad is made, as explained in the article. NFL teams have an extra allocated spot on their PS for IPP players, so doesn't make sense for them not to use it on him.

That's all he can really expect at this stage. Anything further than that will likely be a year or two away, if he ever gets that far.

Edited by PortyJambo

PortyJambo

Apparently a 3 year contract with the Chiefs, and will include some guaranteed money and a signing bonus, which I think (although unsure?) is a little unusual for IPP players

Practice squad salary plus a signing bonus probably already makes this whole thing worthwhile for LRZ. 

PortyJambo
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Rashee Rice has some explaining to do…once they find him. Hope they throw the book at him if he was driving. That could easily have turned into another Henry Ruggs type situation.

https://x.com/qj_trades/status/1774510703786754368?s=46&t=nZnI41p4Pd1E-ztDm_kZLg

Players playing too much video games in the off-season, and thinking "I've got a car that I can go out and do the same thing in..."

Seriously though, teams must hold their breaths each off-season, hoping their players don't get into too much trouble. Too much money and too much time on their hands is not a good combination for guys that have probably gone all their way since high school being feted as "special".

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Players playing too much video games in the off-season, and thinking "I've got a car that I can go out and do the same thing in..."

Seriously though, teams must hold their breaths each off-season, hoping their players don't get into too much trouble. Too much money and too much time on their hands is not a good combination for guys that have probably gone all their way since high school being feted as "special".

Living in their own little fantasy bubble. Here’s some more, nabbed on camera…

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1774629829939491154?s=20

IMG_6857.jpeg

The Chiefs are one of the NFL organisations that seem to attract a special kind of scumbag. 

luckyBatistuta

Come clean to the Chiefs hierarchy and they’ll accept this scummy behaviour, only emptied Kareem because he lied to them

On 01/04/2024 at 10:02, PortyJambo said:

It's the same for almost any sport or any job such as the armed forces where the person goes from training each and every day to then having downtime where they then do nothing, their body has become accustomed to expending a set amount of energy each day and when that doesn't happen (and often when it's mixed with booze) then that pent up energy often comes out in a bad way.

milky_26
55 minutes ago, Ribble said:

It's the same for almost any sport or any job such as the armed forces where the person goes from training each and every day to then having downtime where they then do nothing, their body has become accustomed to expending a set amount of energy each day and when that doesn't happen (and often when it's mixed with booze) then that pent up energy often comes out in a bad way.

i imagine the teams that kimi raikkonen drove for hated the off season as near the start of one season using the pseudonym james hunt he entered a snowmobile race

RustyRightPeg
On 01/04/2024 at 20:26, Sooperstar said:

Vontae Davis found dead at home. No suspicious circumstances. 

A shame. Played his part in one of the most awkward moments on Hard Knocks when the Dolphins traded him.

RustyRightPeg

Stefon Diggs traded to the Texans. Big one that. True WR1 could take them to the next level.

Pretty happy with that trade. Could be a bit of a dick in the locker room but I’m sure we will have done our due diligence. With some of the cap moves, I thought a trade like this was coming. Certainly in “win now” mode while Stroud is cheap! 

PortyJambo
59 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Pretty happy with that trade. Could be a bit of a dick in the locker room but I’m sure we will have done our due diligence. With some of the cap moves, I thought a trade like this was coming. Certainly in “win now” mode while Stroud is cheap! 

At least Diggs seems to take a few years before he outstays his welcome, you should be good for a couple of season and then he'll be getting too old anyway

Texans looking the real deal. Will certainly enjoy watching them next season.

• 2 weeks later...
RustyRightPeg

With the draft fast approaching...I think it could be a historic one in terms of trades.

I can see a few teams going all in (Vikings, Raiders at the forefront of my mind) on a QB prospect. Can see the Cards trading back and loading up on assets for years to come.

Very intriguing. 

37 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

With the draft fast approaching...I think it could be a historic one in terms of trades.

I can see a few teams going all in (Vikings, Raiders at the forefront of my mind) on a QB prospect. Can see the Cards trading back and loading up on assets for years to come.

Very intriguing. 

You could be right, don't have the stats but this year feels like one of the most active for a while during free agency, especially for big name players with more teams than usual going for major overhauls rather than what feels like the norm of addressing one or two positions then waiting for the draft. That could easily mean two things in the draft, either teams go all in on one or two key positions so are willing to trade away picks for later rounds and likewise teams that have addressed the key weaknesses may well trade back to bulk out numbers for the future.

luckyBatistuta
27 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Very intriguing. 

Taking the night off, love watching it. Think you are right that there will be a fair number of trades for QB’s. Have you seen the percentages of actually hitting a decent one though, it’s not great, not even close to great. Lance,Wison,Rosen,Leinart,Darnold,Russell,Manziel,Fields, to name a few,  the list goes on and on. Not often you hit on a Stroud. Will still be fun watching what some franchises are prepared to give up to make that trade. 49ers blew it big time, but were lucky to get a wee prize guy with Mr Irrelevant. Buckle up.

RustyRightPeg
20 minutes ago, Ribble said:

You could be right, don't have the stats but this year feels like one of the most active for a while during free agency, especially for big name players with more teams than usual going for major overhauls rather than what feels like the norm of addressing one or two positions then waiting for the draft. That could easily mean two things in the draft, either teams go all in on one or two key positions so are willing to trade away picks for later rounds and likewise teams that have addressed the key weaknesses may well trade back to bulk out numbers for the future.

10 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Taking the night off, love watching it. Think you are right that there will be a fair number of trades for QB’s. Have you seen the percentages of actually hitting a decent one though, it’s not great, not even close to great. Lance,Wison,Rosen,Leinart,Darnold,Russell,Manziel,Fields, to name a few,  the list goes on and on. Not often you hit on a Stroud. Will still be fun watching what some franchises are prepared to give up to make that trade. 49ers blew it big time, but were lucky to get a wee prize guy with Mr Irrelevant. Buckle up.

Williams is gonna go #1, but it's an open race for the second QB off the board. Maye seems like the bust to me. Daniels will be exciting to watch, and you also have guys like Penix and McCarthy who lit it up this year. 

Generational WRs in this draft too, I think Harrison is gonna be elite from the get go and he could go as low as 5 or 6, crazy. 

PortyJambo
25 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, read an article the other week grading how 1st round QB's do once in the league. As you say, usually not great. Can't remember the figures, but less than 50% even turn out to be decent, never mind franchise QB's.

With some people thinking there might be 4 QB's taken at the top of the draft, teams better hope that they pick the right one...easier said than done! Odds are that maybe only 1 of the 4 will turn out to be franchise quality, with 1 or 2 others maybe decent starters. Of course, there are years when the QB crop is well above average, 1983, 2020, etc...but those years don't come around very often.

PortyJambo

I have no idea really what position my Dolphins are going to pick at #21. Most draft pundits seem to think we'll be going OL or DL, and I can see why, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we go elsewhere in the 1st, especially if the top OL are all taken by then. WR or DB wouldn't surprise me at all, we do need another WR alongside Hill and Waddle, especially if one of them misses any time, and DB is always a position that our GM seems to go to when least expected. 

I'd hate if we pick the fastest WR at the combine, Xavier Worthy, in the 1st but McDaniel does love speed...he's like the new Al Davis! I don't think anyone thinks he's 1st round "worthy". Brian Thomas would be more palatable, but I'd rather we waited to pick a WR in a later round. The top 3 will definitely be well gone by #21. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Yeah, read an article the other week grading how 1st round QB's do once in the league. As you say, usually not great. Can't remember the figures, but less than 50% even turn out to be decent, never mind franchise QB's.

With some people thinking there might be 4 QB's taken at the top of the draft, teams better hope that they pick the right one...easier said than done! Odds are that maybe only 1 of the 4 will turn out to be franchise quality, with 1 or 2 others maybe decent starters. Of course, there are years when the QB crop is well above average, 1983, 2020, etc...but those years don't come around very often.

For every Manning or Luck there's 10 Bradford's and Winston's.

PortyJambo
10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

For every Manning or Luck there's 10 Bradford's and Winston's.

Every QB class is overhyped as well. It's part of selling the NFL, and for fans to get excited about a new shiny toy, but every year you hear about how good this and that college QB is...then, in a year or two, the team is looking for the next "can't miss" prospect. I've been swept up in that as well, hoping that a QB that is drafted is going to be next Brady/Manning/Mahomes. It is part of the allure of the NFL, especially the draft, hoping you're only 1 or 2 players away from being the next Super Bowl champion.

luckyBatistuta

I certainly don’t see a Mahomes/Stroud in any of this bunch.

PortyJambo
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Me neither. I keep seeing Williams compared to Mahomes, but IMO that's just the hype machine going into overdrive, as I don't see it.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Me neither. I keep seeing Williams compared to Mahomes, but IMO that's just the hype machine going into overdrive, as I don't see it.

He’d obviously be your first choice out of them, but it’s went off the scale. Chicago thinking yet again they’re getting The Franchise QB. An upgrade on Fields, but I’ll file him with Lawrence.

RustyRightPeg
On 17/04/2024 at 17:37, luckyBatistuta said:

Williams could be special. He's late on a few throws because he improvises so much but with next level coaching, that comes. The arm talent and smarts are definitely there. He's more of a Rodgers than a Mahomes I think. 

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

New Lions black alternate is 👌 

Lions getting it black and blue this year😁

luckyBatistuta

Who’s planning on watching the draft live then?

hmfc_liam06
On 19/04/2024 at 20:48, luckyBatistuta said:

Lions getting it black and blue this year😁

All you ***** are getting black and blue! 😂

luckyBatistuta
29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

All you ***** are getting black and blue! 😂

Oh aye, Lions fans are getting a little chirpy these days🤣

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Oh aye, Lions fans are getting a little chirpy these days🤣

Got to enjoy the good times while they’re here.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Got to enjoy the good times while they’re here.

Of course, probably be the team I’ll be cheering for if and when the Colts get papped out. Would be nice to see them pull it off.

4 minutes ago, 151 said:

Zach Wilson to the Broncos. 

:cornette:

Almost a free roll of the dice for the Broncos, giving up a 6th round pick for Wilson and a 7th. I don't think Wilson will ever get over his inbuilt sense of entitlement to become a good QB in the league, but he does have talent. A late round pick swap to see whether it was the Jets that ruined him or whether he can be rescued is probably worth it for a team like the Broncos who basically have no-one at the QB position at the moment.

And the Jets record of being hopeless at drafting QB's high in the 1st round continues :smuggy:

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Almost a free roll of the dice for the Broncos, giving up a 6th round pick for Wilson and a 7th. I don't think Wilson will ever get over his inbuilt sense of entitlement to become a good QB in the league, but he does have talent. A late round pick swap to see whether it was the Jets that ruined him or whether he can be rescued is probably worth it for a team like the Broncos who basically have no-one at the QB position at the moment.

And the Jets record of being hopeless at drafting QB's high in the 1st round continues :smuggy:

Still a waste of a 6th though😁 

RustyRightPeg
14 hours ago, 151 said:

Zach Wilson to the Broncos. 

:cornette:

Can't believe they've given something up to get him.

NY still paying part of his salary but still.