"STUC calls on Celtic fans to fly flag for Palestine at Israeli match"

Drew Busby !

Utter utter madness. Words fail me. Obviously though, TGFITW will fall for it hook, line and sinker. Yup, the bhoys of the buckfast brigade are going to influence miidle-eastern policy right enough...

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/STUC-calls-on-Celtic-fans.5866448.jp

STUC calls on Celtic fans to fly flag for Palestine at Israeli match

Published Date: 28 November 2009

CELTIC fans are being asked to wave Palestinian flags during a football match against Israeli team Hapoel Tel Aviv in protest at the invasion of Gaza last year.

The controversial call by the Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC) came in advance of the Europa League match next Wednesday, which will be seen by millions of football fans.

The gesture is aimed to cause maximum embarrassment to the Israeli ambassador to the UK, Ron Prosor, who is travelling from London to attend the game.

[article continues...]

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

Yeah, one terrorist group to another. While I do have empathy for the Palestinians i feel people are too quick to support them when there are terrorist groups there who just go out and kill innocent people just like the IRA did.

Celtic like to pretend they have the morale high ground when in fact they are the complete opposite.

Colonel Kurtz

What the press didnt report is that the reason that Spanish polis attacked the Tims at the airport a few years ago was a banner which read IRA/ETTA one struggle..

They also got involved with a group protesting about the grounded tanker onthe Spanish coast.

What the press didnt report is that the reason that Spanish polis attacked the Tims at the airport a few years ago was a banner which read IRA/ETTA one struggle..

They also got involved with a group protesting about the grounded tanker onthe Spanish coast.

Were they upset at the extra T in ETA?

Its a seriously bad idea. Enlisting the support of politically gullible old-firm fans - who already split along party-lines on the middle-eastern conflict (like they could even find the area on a map, let alone grasp the history and politcis) ... is insane.

Just as bad on the other side .. only been to Belfast once, walking down a street that had UJ's and Israeli flags side by side. Jeez.

For the STUC to play this game though is reprehensible and downright stupid.

Francis Albert

It will be interesting to see how Celtic, the Scottish football authorities and the Scottish Government react to the STUC bringing politics into football in this way, particularly given some OF fans' history of open support for terrorists.

I wonder why the dhims didn't wave Palestinian flags in the away tie.....:th_o:

They wouldnt have needed many seats on the way home if they had!

Francis Albert
Not quite as bad as giving them Nazi salutes :th_o:

... or Red Hand of Ulster salutes without having the brains to realise what the connotations might be in Israel?

Colonel Kurtz

If the Tims want to be topical,they should wave black flags off shame regarding the Catholic Churchs role in the Irish peado priests scandle

Did you not know the IRA is affiliated to the English Table Tennis Association?

Why would the Intercollegiate Rowing Association be interested in Table Tennis?

If the Tims want to be topical,they should wave black flags off shame regarding the Catholic Churchs role in the Irish peado priests scandle

Black flag in one hand, the other hand covering their asses from the risk of further violation from the priests in Row Z :th_o:

Those *******s didnt even need to be asked to bring them, they would have anyway. It just shows how twisted their fans are that they constantly go on about and show their support to the IRA, ETA, Palestine and whoever else they 'share a stuggle' with. I cant even describe how fecked up I find it, its 2009 FFS.

jambojackbilly

This plan by the STUC is misplaced. If they did their homework they would find that Hapoel is the left wing club in Israel and their ultras often fly Palestinian flags in solidarity with their neighbours.I could see an argument if it was Beitar Jerusalem who operate a sectarian signing policy and refuse to sign Arabs. Even then it would be up to the Celtic fans not the STUC to decide what to do.

I hate Celtic fc :43:

And they wonder why Scottish Football is skint ?

Any big business in Scotland who prefer to invest in a minority sport like rugger rather than the biggest sport in the country is completely vindicated when you read guff like this.

Morons.

And they wonder why Scottish Football is skint ?

Any big business in Scotland who prefer to invest in a minority sport like rugger rather than the biggest sport in the country is completely vindicated when you read guff like this.

Morons.

Just think of the entertainment that English EPL fans have been denied every week ...

Kid: "Dad, why are those Rangers/Celtic fans waving flags from Britain/Nothern Ireland/Irish Republic/Israel/Palestine/ETA/[enter any other religous-political conflict of your choice here]"

Dad: "God knows son, the jocks are just utter muppets. Anyway lets get out the stadium before they do. We're 4-0 up anyway"

Just think of the entertainment that English EPL fans have been denied every week ...

Kid: "Dad, why are those Rangers/Celtic fans waving flags from Britain/Nothern Ireland/Irish Republic/Israel/Palestine/ETA/[enter any other religous-political conflict of your choice here]"

Dad: "God knows son, the jocks are just utter muppets. Anyway lets get out the stadium before they do. We're 4-0 up anyway"

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that its bollocks like this and all the baggage they carry that keeps on getting them knocked back by the EPL.

With their massive fan bases they WOULD bring something to the party in the Premiership imo.

Its the fact that a large proportion of their fanbases are utter morons that holds them back.

Utter utter madness. Words fail me. Obviously though, TGFITW will fall for it hook, line and sinker. Yup, the bhoys of the buckfast brigade are going to influence miidle-eastern policy right enough...

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/STUC-calls-on-Celtic-fans.5866448.jp

STUC calls on Celtic fans to fly flag for Palestine at Israeli match

Published Date: 28 November 2009

CELTIC fans are being asked to wave Palestinian flags during a football match against Israeli team Hapoel Tel Aviv in protest at the invasion of Gaza last year.

The controversial call by the Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC) came in advance of the Europa League match next Wednesday, which will be seen by millions of football fans.

The gesture is aimed to cause maximum embarrassment to the Israeli ambassador to the UK, Ron Prosor, who is travelling from London to attend the game.

[article continues...]

To be fair ...on this one, I don't blame the Sellick fans.

What annoys me about this bankrupt, corrupt little country is that organisations like the STUC and all their commie friends have far too big a voice and platform to voice their bigoted views. People are very quick to condemn the BNP about some of their odious views but when it comes to the extreme left, different views apply. Let's be clear about this, there is absolutely no difference between extreme left and extreme right. In a political sense, they actually complete a full circle and meet at the end. People wearing Che Gue*ara T shirts are just aswell wearing Hitler T shirts.

Anyway, in an age when various bodies are trying to rid football of sectarian and racist elements, we have an erstwhile "respectable" body, doing the exact opposite in a vain attempt to encourage, in some cases intellectually challenged, supporters to do the exact opposite and bring both religion and politics into football by supporting a terrorist organisation with blood on their hands.

I am presently a member of a union at work, who have recently become affiliated to the STUC. I will be withdrawing my membership next week and would urge others to do likewise.

It`s funny. If they actually used their noggin and did a bit research about the history of that part of the world they`d probably be embarrassed at what they are being asked to do.

Mind you, it`s just the usual narrow minded bandwagon jumping going on. Its got too messy over the decades to go into, but the bottom line is the Muslims chased the Jews and Christians away many centuries ago and since then they`ve fought for their right to go back there.

Celtic....good Muslim extremist club............

sellik have no business getting involved in middle east politics but perhaps more worrying... neither to the STUC.

i'm an ex trade union branch officer myself but i wouldn't have wanted my union associated with such a ******-eyed affiliation.

away and *****.

jamboinglasgow
sellik have no business getting involved in middle east politics but perhaps more worrying... neither to the STUC.

i'm an ex trade union branch officer myself but i wouldn't have wanted my union associated with such a ******-eyed affiliation.

away and *****.

I do think that is the real problem with unions. It is not as bad as it was in the 60s, 70s or 80s. A good union defends its members from unfair dismissal, calls for fair wages and makes sure that work practices are both fair and safe for workers. However unions got into real problems when leaders of unions realised they had political strength, rather then use that political strength to help their members into a better posistion, they used it to go at the government and political issues that in reality bared no real issue to their remit or workers.

This demonstrates that. What benfit to Scottish workers does calling Celtic fans to fly Palestinian flags? What has the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have in relation to Scottish trade unions? If I was a member of the STUC I would be calling for the leader to resign as there are more important issues at home to be resolved for workers.

I do think that is the real problem with unions. It is not as bad as it was in the 60s, 70s or 80s. A good union defends its members from unfair dismissal, calls for fair wages and makes sure that work practices are both fair and safe for workers. However unions got into real problems when leaders of unions realised they had political strength, rather then use that political strength to help their members into a better posistion, they used it to go at the government and political issues that in reality bared no real issue to their remit or workers.

This demonstrates that. What benfit to Scottish workers does calling Celtic fans to fly Palestinian flags? What has the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have in relation to Scottish trade unions? If I was a member of the STUC I would be calling for the leader to resign as there are more important issues at home to be resolved for workers.

couldn't agree more.

Rudolf's Mate

I'm shocked that they have done this tbh, and disgusted.

With regards to the comments re the uglies being knocked back from the EPL. I think a few of you have hit the nail on the head in saying that it's down to fans behaviour more than anything. I also think they would bring something to the EPL, but I think Manchester was probably the wake up call to anyone considering it.

What annoys me about this bankrupt, corrupt little country is that organisations like the STUC and all their commie friends have far too big a voice and platform to voice their bigoted views. People are very quick to condemn the BNP about some of their odious views but when it comes to the extreme left, different views apply. Let's be clear about this, there is absolutely no difference between extreme left and extreme right. In a political sense, they actually complete a full circle and meet at the end. People wearing Che Gue*ara T shirts are just aswell wearing Hitler T shirts.

What absolute nonesense on so many points. The STUC is hardly "extreme left" for starters.

Secondly "commies" believe in the brotherhood of man irrespective of colour or creed, unlike the BNP or other extreme right groups.

To compare Che Guevara to Hitler is frankly bizarre, one a defender of social equality and justice, the other a maniacal, genocidal lunatic. Bizarre. So to "be clear about it", I think that there ARE plenty of differences between the left and the right.

Anyway, in an age when various bodies are trying to rid football of sectarian and racist elements, we have an erstwhile "respectable" body, doing the exact opposite in a vain attempt to encourage, in some cases intellectually challenged, supporters to do the exact opposite and bring both religion and politics into football by supporting a terrorist organisation with blood on their hands.

I never realise that the Palestinian people were a terrorist organisation. Hamas, yes, but not the people. By your same logic, surely Israel is a terorist state as it continually breaks international law murdering innocent people due to their ethnicity?

I am presently a member of a union at work, who have recently become affiliated to the STUC. I will be withdrawing my membership next week and would urge others to do likewise.

Why don't you debate the point with your Union and try to get them to take it up with the STUC?

Personally, I don't think that the STUC should have made their comments, but they and that's that. Had any Scottish side being playing the same opposition I think they would have come out with something.

Arguably a Trade Union has a responsibility to trade union members throughout the world i.e. international solidarity with workers wherever in the world. That is probably why the comments were made.

Aye ok Norman Tebbitt. Dont go greeting when you get your jotters.

What absolute nonesense on so many points. The STUC is hardly "extreme left" for starters.

Secondly "commies" believe in the brotherhood of man irrespective of colour or creed, unlike the BNP or other extreme right groups.

To compare Che Guevara to Hitler is frankly bizarre, one a defender of social equality and justice, the other a maniacal, genocidal lunatic. Bizarre. So to "be clear about it", I think that there ARE plenty of differences between the left and the right.

I never realise that the Palestinian people were a terrorist organisation. Hamas, yes, but not the people. By your same logic, surely Israel is a terorist state as it continually breaks international law murdering innocent people due to their ethnicity?

Why don't you debate the point with your Union and try to get them to take it up with the STUC?

Personally, I don't think that the STUC should have made their comments, but they and that's that. Had any Scottish side being playing the same opposition I think they would have come out with something.

Boris, my old son, you have quite clearly spent too much time loafing about in the Student Union. Please refer to your history books. Every political viewpoint favours one group in society over another, minority groups be they coloured or whatever, have no more right to protection than a rich successful capitalist. Communism is a flawed concept which was consigned, in any civilised society, to the dustbin many years ago. Life is not fair...people are simply NOT equal. That is fundamental. You could give everyone ?1K tomorrow...the next day, the successful will have doubled it, some will still have ?1K and others will have spent every penny on drink and drugs. Communism thrives on control, interference and manipulation and always, always involves mass murder. For your information, Che Guevara and Stalin were the biggest mass murderers in history..the bearded one taking great delight in murdering while the victims mothers pleaded for mercy. Justice in his case was served eventually.

Please revisit my previous post. At no point did I say or infer that the STUC were "extreme left" ...the point is that, along with a lot of these left-leaning individuals in power, they feel duty bound to get involved in things that have nothing to do with them and of which they know nothing about. That is the crux of the matter. They are flying in the face of the efforts of others by bringing politics and religion into football.

My jotters?? Why exactly..."brother"? The days of closed shops were dealt with ..and sorted...by Maggie Thatcher about 25 years ago.

Colonel Kurtz

youll get yours when they check your expenses regarding honeymoon suites in the caledonian and geordies

Aye right mate !

I've been a member of a trade union for 30 years, for the STUC to come out with this pesh defies belief.

To get involved with the grey and green also turns my stomach.

A FecKin embarrasment to Scotland.

Politicial pygmies.

Its a seriously bad idea. Enlisting the support of politically gullible old-firm fans - who already split along party-lines on the middle-eastern conflict (like they could even find the area on a map, let alone grasp the history and politcis) ... is insane.

Just as bad on the other side .. only been to Belfast once, walking down a street that had UJ's and Israeli flags side by side. Jeez.

For the STUC to play this game though is reprehensible and downright stupid.

Stop the presses! STUC make a totally mental, ill thought out and needlessly public moron of themselves. They make me laugh on an almost regular occasion.

Yeah, one terrorist group to another. While I do have empathy for the Palestinians i feel people are too quick to support them when there are terrorist groups there who just go out and kill innocent people just like the IRA did.

Celtic like to pretend they have the morale high ground when in fact they are the complete opposite.

To compare the Palestinian Struggle with the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland is to belittle the plight that an innocent people have been subjected to over the past 60 years as a result of ethnic cleansing on a grand scale instituted by western neo-imperialism.

Of course there is a connection with Ireland in that the basis of their troubles can be sourced to British Imperialism of the 18th century.

Britain was up to its neck in what lead to the betrayal of the Palestinians starting with the Balfour Declaration of 1919.

Had Hearts been playing an Israeli side in Europe I would have proudly draped myself in the flag of Palestine and would hope that many of my fellow supporters would have done likewise.

I hope Celtic supporters show their support for Palestine and that there is a demonstraction outside Parkhead on the night.

Colonel Kurtz
To compare the Palestinian Struggle with the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland is to belittle the plight that an innocent people have been subjected to over the past 60 years as a result of ethnic cleansing on a grand scale instituted by western neo-imperialism.

Of course there is a connection with Ireland in that the basis of their troubles can be sourced to British Imperialism of the 18th century.

Britain was up to its neck in what lead to the betrayal of the Palestinians starting with the Balfour Declaration of 1919.

Had Hearts been playing an Israeli side in Europe I would have proudly draped myself in the flag of Palestine and would hope that many of my fellow supporters would have done likewise.

I hope Celtic supporters show their support for Palestine and that there is a demonstraction outside Parkhead on the night.

You had the chance when we played Macabi telaviv

King of the North
Boris, my old son, you have quite clearly spent too much time loafing about in the Student Union. Please refer to your history books. Every political viewpoint favours one group in society over another, minority groups be they coloured or whatever, have no more right to protection than a rich successful capitalist. Communism is a flawed concept which was consigned, in any civilised society, to the dustbin many years ago. Life is not fair...people are simply NOT equal. That is fundamental. You could give everyone ?1K tomorrow...the next day, the successful will have doubled it, some will still have ?1K and others will have spent every penny on drink and drugs. Communism thrives on control, interference and manipulation and always, always involves mass murder. For your information, Che Guevara and Stalin were the biggest mass murderers in history..the bearded one taking great delight in murdering while the victims mothers pleaded for mercy. Justice in his case was served eventually.

Please revisit my previous post. At no point did I say or infer that the STUC were "extreme left" ...the point is that, along with a lot of these left-leaning individuals in power, they feel duty bound to get involved in things that have nothing to do with them and of which they know nothing about. That is the crux of the matter. They are flying in the face of the efforts of others by bringing politics and religion into football.

Wow. There is so much of that first paragraph which is slightly fascist, completely bonkers, not to mention utterly irrelevant to this thread.

I particularly enjoyed your Gareth Keenanesque use of the word 'coloured'.

I bet you are a really nice guy, and a great laugh at parties.

Charlie-Brown
CB

Judging by your post I assume you were never a member of the Debating Society at school.

Well this thread is really a shed topic however it's good to see 'boys from the old brigade' .... ;)

Colonel Kurtz
What are they planning for the half-time slot?

An IRA funeral?

610x.jpg

You van just see michael Stone at the very edge of the photo

I think the treatment of the Palestinian people at the hands of the Israeli government over the last 60 years has been utterly disgraceful - but I cannot understand the stance of the STUC here. What has this football match got to do with a) the STUC and B) the Israeli/Palestinian situation? I honestly don't know where some of these unions get their leaders from.

Wow. There is so much of that first paragraph which is slightly fascist, completely bonkers, not to mention utterly irrelevant to this thread.

I particularly enjoyed your Gareth Keenanesque use of the word 'coloured'.

I bet you are a really nice guy, and a great laugh at parties.

Not the old "fascist" word again. To some the biggest insult that could possibly be delivered to you .. to me an irrelevance and just another use of a word which along with the dreaded "racist" word is overused to the point of tedium nowadays and which has become diluted to the point of meaning absolutely nothing.

Colonel Kurtz
Eh, OK for starters maybe, but kinda vague don't you think?

we won 4 2 i think

I stole money out of the wishing well/fountain thing on the roof at Goldbergs as a protest

Geoff Kilpatrick

Back on topic - a blatant attempt to 'politicise' football like this should be condemned outright by the Scottish football authorities. Has the STUC ever asked another Scottish team to do such a thing?

Archived