Would of

Johanes de Silentio

Ruth is his sister. I have not met her but I did a reading at ODE's farewell lecture, as did she. I have met his children but none is called Ruth.

Donnie Fyfe? Nae idea whit yer oan aboot.

I recall ODE saying, when I confessed where I had finished my school education: "Oh yes, George Watson's School for the sons and daughters of gentlefolk."

OK, what was his daughter called then ?

No idea who DF is ?? Hmmmmm, must be showing my age then ...

GC

PS "None is called Ruth" .... Music to my ears .... ODE would be proud.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johanes de Silentio
So much so that he gave me a copt of "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" just to get rid of it.

His farewell lecture or last normal lecture? I was at both, though I can't remember what the last one was on.

Would have been his last lecture on American History 2 in 2004/5 maybe? Can't remember either, but he did some on the search for the great American novel, and did his Vincent Price impression at one point.

First thing he told me in first year was "Don't let the yahs get you down"! :2thumbsup:

OK, what was his daughter called then ?

No idea who DF is ?? Hmmmmm, must be showing my age then ...

GC

PS "None is called Ruth" .... Music to my ears .... ODE would be proud.

Leila or similar, Catherine? and ??? a man. Robert? His wife is Barbara, known as Bonnie, from Pennsylvania.

I helped Leila to move her stuff into her house when she moved and she gave us (ODE's Master's students) pizza for lunch and we had a chat about Wisdens.

Is Donnie Fyfe Mrs. Fyfe, the obese English teacher at the God of our youth? I didn't have her.

Leila or similar, Catherine? and ??? a man. Robert? His wife is Barbara, known as Bonnie, from Pennsylvania.

I helped Leila to move her stuff into her house when she moved and she gave us (ODE's Master's students) pizza for lunch and we had a chat about Wisdens.

Is Donnie Fyfe Mrs. Fyfe, the obese English teacher at the God of our youth? I didn't have her.

I think it was Leila I met many many years ago.

You are conflating two teachers (is that possible ?). DF was the very glam English teacher and the obese one was that American woman whose name escapes me.

GC

I think it was Leila I met many many years ago.

You are conflating two teachers (is that possible ?). DF was the very glam English teacher and the obese one was that American woman whose name escapes me.

GC

Ahhh yes. Donnie Fyfe was a "se?ora" by the time I knew her. She signed "Have a brilliantly successful life and career. D. Fyfe x" on my yearbook.

Grace Durham perchance?

What was Donnie Fyfe right about and ODE wrong about?

Ahhh yes. Donnie Fyfe was a "se?ora" by the time I knew her. She signed "Have a brilliantly successful life and career. D. Fyfe x" on my yearbook.

Grace Durham perchance?

What was Donnie Fyfe right about and ODE wrong about?

Yep, thats her.

Ummmm, can't remember now. Oh yeah, putting another "s" after Dickens'

Blimey, we actually brought this back to the point of this thread. Who'd have thought it ?

OK, you can all join in again now

GC

Yep, thats her.

Ummmm, can't remember now. Oh yeah, putting another "s" after Dickens'

Blimey, we actually brought this back to the point of this thread. Who'd have thought it ?

OK, you can all join in again now

GC

And the Donnie Fyfe-ODE spat?

And the Donnie Fyfe-ODE spat?

Sheesh - I just told you ...

She taught me that you it should be Dickens' and ODE taught you that it should be Dickens's. I'm sure they never actually discussed it - it was more of a hypothetical spat.

Got it ?:10900:

GC

OK, no-one else is holding themselves out as a superior intellect so I'll have a bash.

Notwithstanding my earlier slagging of Gorgiewave for a similar "offence", I believe that the official answer is that either is acceptable these days though when I was a lad, it would have been Des' dad and definitely not Des's.

Pretty sure that Lynn Truss says that both versions are now acceptable but then, what does she know ...

GC

There does not appear to be any hard and fast rule, as Truss says. I think s's looks ridiculous though and hate having to use it at work.

My pet hate, and you see it everywhere, is "amount" instead of "number".

Even on the news or in newspapers.

"The amount of fans at the game." No! It's the number of fans, ffs!

Sheesh - I just told you ...

She taught me that you it should be Dickens' and ODE taught you that it should be Dickens's. I'm sure they never actually discussed it - it was more of a hypothetical spat.

Got it ?:10900:

GC

FFS! Vague, half-imagined stuff. londonjambo is a stick-on Hobo IMO.:clover::curtain:

My pet hate, and you see it everywhere, is "amount" instead of "number".

Even on the news or in newspapers.

"The amount of fans at the game." No! It's the number of fans, ffs!

Then there's "less than 10 items", instead of the correct "fewer than ..." ...

You see - this is why I like JKB ...

blondejamtart
Then there's "less than 10 items", instead of the correct "fewer than ..." ...

You see - this is why I like JKB ...

Now, that's another one of my pet hates!!! I even find myself shouting it at the telly!

Oh there is many of these little gripes which really irritate me, none more so than the current invasion of Americanisms chiefly the use of season to describe a television series.

There was a thread on here with several of our members talking about the latest season of 24. It's a series you fecking cretins.

No!

I totally disagree, this is the one sensible and useful Americanism that I think we should adopt, it makes a lot of sense.

Are you suggesting that it's better to say 'series one of the series 24' than 'season one of the series 24'?

The whole thing is the series, split over several seasons.

Language must be allowed to evolve over time, new words, new phrases and new meanings of old words. I love the fact that in my life time gay has gone through three meanings, from happy to homosexual to lame (to use another Americanism just to irritate everybody!) Language should be dynamic, it's a good thing.

In saying that, the abuse of the apostrophe gets on my thrupennies, are those crisps that Gary Lineker promotes actually ambulatory?

Johanes de Silentio

Football pundits, etc, often talk of being mathematically safe, uncatchable, etc - then some pedants say "I think you'll find t's not mathematical, but arithmetical!"

But isn't arithmetic a branch of mathematics, along with algebra, geometry, calculus, trigenometry, etc? :th_o:

:nah:

GC

Aye I ken. Whens the next edition of the magazine coming out? My dad came to Madrid to visit me and took it away with him.

*Contains intentional error to stay on the subject of the thread.*

Aye I ken. Whens the next edition of the magazine coming out? My dad came to Madrid to visit me and took it away with him.

*Contains intentional error to stay on the subject of the thread.*

Its (see, I did it too) in the process of being put together. Hopefully this side of Christmas.

GC

Archived