I P Knightley
Is it Wilsden?

What aboot Milngavie?

Marjorybanks?

Strathaven?

Magdalene?

Anstruther?

I've got:

Wilson for Wealdstone (Harrow & Wealdstone = Harold Wilson)

Mull-guy

Marshbanks

Strayven and

Maudlin

but my old Dad always pronounced Anstruther almost perfectly phonetically.

Get him on the subject of Culross or Gullane, though...

And personally, I find that nothing beats a bit of Belvoir

The Mighty Thor

Oh there is many of these little gripes which really irritate me, none more so than the current invasion of Americanisms chiefly the use of season to describe a television series.

There was a thread on here with several of our members talking about the latest season of 24. It's a series you fecking cretins.

All these things really impact me when I access KB but I don't have the resources to find a world's best practice solution.

blondejamtart
Don't get me started on apostrophes! I'm the sort of person who wants to do stuff like this. It infuriates me!

apostrophe-460_1111553c.jpg

Oh thank god - it's not just me, then? One of my pet peeves, I must admit...

And, speaking as someone who spends her working days correcting other people's spelling and grammar, I could be here all day moaning about the decline in standards - yes, even among journalists who are supposed to have at least a basic grasp of how it all works!

If I took my car into a garage for a service, for example, I'd expect the mechanic to know how to use a spanner. Therefore, it never ceases to amaze me when we get prospective journalists coming for a job (most of whom have degrees or completed journalism courses) - yet can't string a sentence together correctly, or even spell properly! If they can't use the basic tools of the job, what hope is there?

And, speaking as someone who spends her working days correcting other people's spelling and grammar, I could be here all day moaning about the decline in standards - yes, even among journalists who are supposed to have at least a basic grasp of how it all works!

If I took my car into a garage for a service, for example, I'd expect the mechanic to know how to use a spanner. Therefore, it never ceases to amaze me when we get prospective journalists coming for a job (most of whom have degrees or completed journalism courses) - yet can't string a sentence together correctly, or even spell properly! If they can't use the basic tools of the job, what hope is there?

Are people embarrassed when you point out their mistakes? Are there people in your office who take pride in writing well?

People who seem to think the words 'weird' and 'ridiculous' are spelt 'wierd' and 'rediculous'.

There's one reporter in my office who when proof-reading a travel feature I did a while back wanted to know what I meant by the term (and I'll use his own manner of expression here), 'Roo-si-yan'. The word in question? 'Russian'.

blondejamtart
Are people embarrassed when you point out their mistakes? Are there people in your office who take pride in writing well?

To be fair, most of our current reporters do write well - apart from the odd mistake which anyone can make from time to time or while under pressure. Unfortunately, having your copy corrected or "tidied up" by a sub is all part and parcel of the job, so if they can't cope with that, there's not much hope for them anyway.

Anyway, when I do have to point things out to them, I'm always very diplomatic...honest! :10900:

'Me and Kelly-Marie went to the shops.'

Kelly-Marie and I went to the shops.

I went to the shop, not me went to the shop.

Get it right please!

Does my nut in!

I P Knightley
People who seem to think the words 'weird' and 'ridiculous' are spelt 'wierd' and 'rediculous'.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c' - it's weird how some folk just don't get it...;)

I'm definately with you on 'rediculous' too. It's worse when they actually pronounce it with an emphasis on the "e" (or the "a" in 'definately'). We should be allowed guns for moments like that.

Here's another on pronunciation - how do you pronounce "Tenterden"?

Johanes de Silentio
'i' before 'e' except after 'c' - it's weird how some folk just don't get it...;)

I'm definately with you on 'rediculous' too. It's worse when they actually pronounce it with an emphasis on the "e" (or the "a" in 'definately'). We should be allowed guns for moments like that.

Here's another on pronunciation - how do you pronounce "Tenterden"?

See, I have a problem with that - what's the logic to that ****ing rule? Why is it i after e except after c, and not one or the other all of the time?

And why are their exceptions to the i before e rule?

See, I have a problem with that - what's the logic to that ****ing rule? Why is it i after e except after c, and not one or the other all of the time?

And why are their exceptions to the i before e rule?

Their exceptions ??

Exceptions belonging to them ??

:curtain:

GC

OK, deep breath and time for my rant about my pet hate.

I HATE it when people say "None of them were very brave"

It's "None of them WAS very brave" you dimwit. None is a contracted form of "not one" and you wouldnt say "Not one of them were ..."

This is so common, along with "Neither of them were ..." that it is almost accepted but it shouldnt be because it is plain WRONG

GC

londonjambo will in his next intervention be more careful in his use of apostrophes, since he is now the Editor of a venerable Magazine.

The Declaration of Independence competes with some passages of Dickens's novels for the honour of the most perfect examples of the English language in use.

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

'Me and Kelly-Marie went to the shops.'

Did you?

You should of went yesterday. They're where some rt gd bargain's to be gotten. "Honest".

Johanes de Silentio
Their exceptions ??

Exceptions belonging to them ??

:curtain:

GC

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I P Knightley
Gullane is Gillan to those that live there.

I met a girl on Sunday who was down from Gullane and pronounced it as it's spelt. I showed her no mercy and slapped her to the floor like the pathetic bitch that she was. 10 year olds, nowadays? Pah!

No takers yet on Tenterden?

How about Culzean?

As for Ainster/Anstruther, that's a new one on me but, then, my old Dad used to warn me about the strange ways of Fifers.

londonjambo will in his next intervention be more careful in his use of apostrophes, since he is now the Editor of a venerable Magazine.

The Declaration of Independence competes with some passages of Dickens's novels for the honour of the most perfect examples of the English language in use.

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

Hmmmmm, in my defence, I'm used to using Word where, when you type wouldnt, it puts the apostrophe in for you. I do know its supposed to be wouldn't which is half the battle.

Anyway, I would have thought someone like yourself who went to a posh school would know that it ought to be Dickens' and not Dickens's :10900:

GC

I met a girl on Sunday who was down from Gullane and pronounced it as it's spelt. I showed her no mercy and slapped her to the floor like the pathetic bitch that she was. 10 year olds, nowadays? Pah!

No takers yet on Tenterden?

How about Culzean?

As for Ainster/Anstruther, that's a new one on me but, then, my old Dad used to warn me about the strange ways of Fifers.

Is it pronounced Basingstoke ?

The next one's Cull-ain

How about Menzies ??

And I work with someone whose surname is Fetherstonhaugh but pronounced .... any takers ?

GC

Is it pronounced Basingstoke ?

The next one's Cull-ain

How about Menzies ??

And I work with someone whose surname is Fetherstonhaugh but pronounced .... any takers ?

GC

Menzies = Mingis?

Fethersonhaugh. Hmm, I'm going to guess Ferston.

To be fair, most of our current reporters do write well - apart from the odd mistake which anyone can make from time to time or while under pressure. Unfortunately, having your copy corrected or "tidied up" by a sub is all part and parcel of the job, so if they can't cope with that, there's not much hope for them anyway.

Anyway, when I do have to point things out to them, I'm always very diplomatic...honest! :10900:

You will have to let me know where you work, I fancy an easier job. Most of our reporters are pretty good but there are few exceptions...

Craig Gordons Gloves

Out by where my mum lives, there are a couple of villages that are not pronounced the way they look.

Ravenstruther

Pettinain.

Any ideas on how they are pronounced.

Then here you have Mahtomedi and New Prague

I P Knightley
Ok...how about the correct pronunciation of Belvoir?

I mentioned Belvoir above so won't give it away but I do like a nice bit of Belvoir. ;)

Tenterden = not Basingstoke.

Following Featherstonhaugh, how about Cholmondley?

I mentioned Belvoir above so won't give it away but I do like a nice bit of Belvoir. ;)

beaver.jpg

?

Chumley

There is a butter substitute that my work uses.

The name on the front of the tub reads:

"What. Not Butter!"

Everyday I have a chuckle at just how bad that grammar actually is.

I P Knightley
There is a butter substitute that my work uses.

The name on the front of the tub reads:

"What. Not Butter!"

Everyday I have a chuckle at just how bad that grammar actually is.

:biglaugh:

That's a big laugh not at the appalling punctuation but at the fact you repeatedly find it so amusing. It seems I'm not alone.

"What-not butter" would be a worthy Profanisaurus entry for baby paste.

I think it is incredible in this day and age that people are still surprised that it is not actually butter.

I think it is incredible in this day and age that people are still surprised that it is not actually butter.

Yes, personally, I cannot believe it.

Really.

GC

(Sorry about the intorductory music! :curtain:)

I P Knightley

I'm about to sign off so will give you the pronunciation of Tenterden.

I'll be back when I think the coast is clear.

The pronunciation of Tenterden is, "Nine-Fiff-Tee"

Whilst we're on the subject can one of you superior intellects out there tell me if my name on this forum is correct or should it be Des's Dad.

The reason I ask is that someone picked me up about it earlier when they didn't like what I'd posted.

(God, that took me ages to write and I've checked it 5 times but I'll wager someone will find something wrong.)

I'm about to sign off so will give you the pronunciation of Tenterden.

I'll be back when I think the coast is clear.

The pronunciation of Tenterden is, "Nine-Fiff-Tee"

Oh FFS

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!

GC

Whilst we're on the subject can one of you superior intellects out there tell me if my name on this forum is correct or should it be Des's Dad.

The reason I ask is that someone picked me up about it earlier when they didn't like what I'd posted.

(God, that took me ages to write and I've checked it 5 times but I'll wager someone will find something wrong.)

OK, no-one else is holding themselves out as a superior intellect so I'll have a bash.

Notwithstanding my earlier slagging of Gorgiewave for a similar "offence", I believe that the official answer is that either is acceptable these days though when I was a lad, it would have been Des' dad and definitely not Des's.

Pretty sure that Lynn Truss says that both versions are now acceptable but then, what does she know ...

GC

Hmmmmm, in my defence, I'm used to using Word where, when you type wouldnt, it puts the apostrophe in for you. I do know its supposed to be wouldn't which is half the battle.

Anyway, I would have thought someone like yourself who went to a posh school would know that it ought to be Dickens' and not Dickens's :10900:

GC

Stick to Word dear Editor, it's not its it's it's.

If you graduated to Edinburgh University and came under Owen Dudley Edwards's influence, it is easy to accept "s's", since he does.

"Like yourself"? Like you, more like.

I think I might write to big Frankie G. to ask what's gone wrong with us.

If you graduated to Edinburgh University and came under Owen Dudley Edwards's influence, it is easy to accept "s's", since he does.

Ahhhh b0ll0cks, I really thought I'd checked that over carefully.

You ever meet ODE's daughter, Ruth, I think her name was ... ?

Anyhoo, ODE was wrong and Donnie Fyfe was right so there ...

:th_o:

GC

Johanes de Silentio

Owen was my Director of Studies, and I was in his very last lecture - he's a top man, but his office was like a ****e-hoose! :smiley2:

Ahhhh b0ll0cks, I really thought I'd checked that over carefully.

You ever meet ODE's daughter, Ruth, I think her name was ... ?

Anyhoo, ODE was wrong and Donnie Fyfe was right so there ...

:th_o:

GC

Ruth is his sister. I have not met her but I did a reading at ODE's farewell lecture, as did she. I have met his children but none is called Ruth.

Donnie Fyfe? Nae idea whit yer oan aboot.

I recall ODE saying, when I confessed where I had finished my school education: "Oh yes, George Watson's School for the sons and daughters of gentlefolk."

Owen was my Director of Studies, and I was in his very last lecture - he's a top man, but his office was like a ****e-hoose! :smiley2:

So much so that he gave me a copt of "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" just to get rid of it.

His farewell lecture or last normal lecture? I was at both, though I can't remember what the last one was on.

Archived