Uruguay v Argentina - showdown in Montevideo

shaun.lawson

I would disagree with saying they're almost identical..... Uruguay is much more forward looking, less religious and less corrupt!

The Argies are currently angry with the Uruguayans over a small paper mill that was built 2003ish i think and have been blocking the closest bridge to Uruguay at the Gualeguaychu - Fray Bentos crossing for years! This isn't an official blockage.... just a few crazy locals in Gualeguaychu who are ****ed they aren't getting their backhanders.... They claim that the pulp mill is polluting to the river, yet all tests have proven it isn't and in fact it actually cleans up the river as before Fray Bentos's Sewage was going straight into the river..... it now isn't! (the real reason they're ****ed is the fact that the mill was possibly going to be built on the other side of the river but after changing the local laws amongst other things Botnia baulked at all the backhanders they were being asked for that the plans moved across the river)

To add to the furor

Nestor Kirchner the former president and current "first husband" / leader of one of the many peronist partys in Argentina wanted to be elected for mercosur president or something and because of the bridge blockage the Uruguayans said no....

The Argies also got ****ed off when the two front runners of the Uruguayan election (in a month or two) both said that the Argies are nothing but crooks and scoundrels :)

Interestingly they lifted the road block for Argy cars going into Uruguay if they had match tickets......

anyway enough rambling the game is 13 mins in...... FUERZA URUGUAY!

Cheers for this Swanyl: great stuff! I read about the paper mill dispute a while back. Thing is though, I think Uruguay - once known as the Switzerland of Latin America, and home to the first genuine welfare state in the Western world - have also completely lost sight of the common good in recent years.

The way crooks like Paco Casal and the appalling AUF rule over the Uruguayan game has done enormous harm, and is a betrayal of the Uruguayan people. How many play-offs were needed to decide the national championship a few months back? It was a farce - and hooliganism is rife in the Uruguayan game. When Gus Poyet offered his help, having played in England and seen the transformation in our fan culture, no-one was interested in talking to him.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Uruguay not playing like a team who has to win! Only have 1 or 2 up. Argentina keeping the ball pretty well. Veron is the master at ball retention.

Scotland's technical and tactical limitations were embarrassing

And which whisky-nosed numpty (who dropped Souness for that game - if ever there was match tailor-made for someone) was in charge back then? :10900:

And which whisky-nosed numpty (who dropped Souness for that game - if ever there was match tailor-made for someone) was in charge back then? :10900:

Surely the only explanation for his treatment of Hansen and Souness was anti-Liverpool bias, given what job was ahead of him? Otherwise, it's incomprehensible.

Except this isn't true. Remember I tipped Scotland to qualify all those months ago? The reason I did so is I thought you'd finish 2nd, with a good enough record; and your world ranking at the time suggested you'd be seeded. FIFA always seed the play-offs, and those countries whining about it now should've known all along.

Sorry shaun but you are wrong -- FIFA announced at the start of this campaign that they would not be seeding the play offs -- it is even on their own website history pages.

Of course they got cold feet re the possible non participation of France, Portugal and other big names and bottled it again by announcing seeding -- why ?

Uruguay not playing like a team who has to win! Only have 1 or 2 up. Argentina keeping the ball pretty well. Veron is the master at ball retention.

I was worried Uruguay might get caught between two stools (that has to mean what I think it means - right?), and end up playing for a draw. It's the Uruguayan way: in every qualifying campaign or at a World Cup or Copa America, they either scrape through by the narrowest margin possible or go out in excrutiating fashion. Always so cagey; always so much melodrama. Then you see how they can play when the mood occasionally takes them, and wonder why.

After a hairy start, Argentina now look fairly comfortable. Tabarez has to change it.

Looking at the qualified European sides Spain and Holland would wipe the floor with this pair. I think England would beat them and probably Italy, Germany and Russia as well. Laying the Argies looks like buying money should they make it.

Sorry shaun but you are wrong -- FIFA announced at the start of this campaign that they would not be seeding the play offs -- it is even on their own website history pages.

Of course they got cold feet re the possible non participation of France, Portugal and other big names and bottled it again by announcing seeding -- why ?

That's interesting - I missed that! Why? Money, that's why: FIFA want the big TV audiences from the big countries, and the revenue to match. Otherwise, why seed qualifying competitions or the final stages at all?

portobellojambo1

As football games go this one has been very ordinary. In truth two very poor teams, neither of whom would really grace the World Cup, unless they change dramatically.

As football games go this one has been very ordinary. In truth two very poor teams, neither of whom would really grace the World Cup, unless they change dramatically.

But it's a local derby PJ1, with everything resting on it. How many local derbies anywhere feature flowing, attacking play?

portobellojambo1
But it's a local derby PJ1, with everything resting on it. How many local derbies anywhere feature flowing, attacking play?

Only stating what I'm seeing, and that is a God awful game of football. Difficult to tell everything is resting on the result as I don't think there has been a shot on target as yet.

Get the impression it is more a case of stopping each other playing than actually trying to win the game. Might all change if Ecuador get a goal in front against Chile, then Uruguay might actually try and attack and win the game, otherwise they will miss out altogether.

That was certainly my understanding too. Of course it comes down to money as usual but its just corrupt and makes a mockery of the whole qualifying procedure.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/10/01/1534636/teams-will-be-seeded-in-uefa-world-cup-qualifying-play-offs-fifa-

Only stating what I'm seeing, and that is a God awful game of football. Difficult to tell everything is resting on the result as I don't think there has been a shot on target as yet.

Get the impression it is more a case of stopping each other playing than actually trying to win the game. Might all change if Ecuador get a goal in front against Chile, then Uruguay might actually try and attack and win the game, otherwise they will miss out altogether.

A lot of South American games are like this. South American crowds are notoriously fervent, but also very patient - the game there is so different to the one played in the UK.

If Uruguay make it, getting out of the group = success as far as I'm concerned. If Argentina make it and change coaches, strange things could happen - as they did for Brazil. Beaten by Honduras (Honduras!!) in the 2001 Copa America, and struggling to qualify for the World Cup, they finished up winning it by a street; or how about Italy's transformation during Spain 82?

But yes, what happens in Chile-Ecuador is pivotal. An Ecuador goal there would see Uruguay panic; or Argentina panic if they go behind. All things are still possible; three countries are still on a knife edge with 45 minutes left.

Quite enjoying this....Massive derby, loads of little battles in the middle, fierce tackles and a mental crowd. Not all bad tbh.

The Old Tolbooth
50 sheets on the draw. 12/5.

Looking like a tremendous bet mate, neither team looks interested in scoring a goal!

The Old Tolbooth
What a let down this has been. The refs killed it with whistle after whistle.

Not sure you can really blame the ref mate, the challenges going in have hardly been "Miko like"

This pair are fighting each other in a war of attrition, rather than a football match.

Oops, and there's one off and my bets fecked!

Surely the only explanation for his treatment of Hansen and Souness was anti-Liverpool bias, given what job was ahead of him? Otherwise, it's incomprehensible.

A game we had to win and Fergie selects five defenders (Arthur Albiston over Maurice Malpas was a peculiar selection), picks the likes of Roy Aitken and Paul McStay ahead of Souness and Jim Bett and had Davie Cooper on the bench (to come on with 20 minutes left).

Actually, with Hansen not making it to Mexico, I could see his logic there bearing in mind the centre-halves who went. Miller and McLeish of Aberdeen & Gough and Narey of Dundee Utd - two sets of players who knew each other inside and out. Maybe if Jim McLean had allowed Narey to join Liverpool a few seasons beforehand, Hansen might have gone if they had clicked.

Chile v Ecuador has been the match to watch this evening.

It's due to finish a couple of minutes earlier than Uruguay-Argentina. The last two minutes of that game could be exciting if Chile win, as seems likely against 10 men

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Maradona at the World Cup will be amazing!

What an arsehole that boy who got sent off was! Thick as mince.

The Old Tolbooth
not anymore .....

Lol, apologies to Neily for jinxing his bet :peepwall:

I really hate the sight of Maradona celebrating when he's absolutely clueless in what he's doing, he doesn't deserve to be going to S Africa the tw@t!

Looking like a tremendous bet mate, neither team looks interested in scoring a goal!

Jinx:43::smiley2:

Lol, apologies to Neily for jinxing his bet :peepwall:

I really hate the sight of Maradona celebrating when he's absolutely clueless in what he's doing, he doesn't deserve to be going to S Africa the tw@t!

Cannae see him staying on the straight & narrow for 8 months or so. So, if they were to get a decent manager in his place they'd be potential winners. With him, no chance.

Chile v Ecuador has been the match to watch this evening.

It's due to finish a couple of minutes earlier than Uruguay-Argentina. The last two minutes of that game could be exciting if Chile win, as seems likely against 10 men

As I wrote, Argentina scored:10900:

portobellojambo1
Uruguay were very disappointing though they will still win the play off fairly comfortably.

I wouldn't take that as a cert. not sure what the Costa Rican and Honduran sides are like, but if they have someone who can score goals I cannot see any reason why they should fear that Uruguayan side. Certainly from watching the Costa Rica U20 side playing in the U20 World Cup they appear to have a number of good players in that level, not sure about at senior level.

And as for Argentina winning the World Cup, I actually think Scotland have a better chance of winning the trophy in South Africa.

A poor, poor game of football, played out by two poor sides (which in its own funny way kept it interesting for large parts)

Maradona really is a clown. :laugh:

Yup. And of course Carlos Bilardo, that utter hijo de puta, had to get in on the act at the end.

What a disappointment - and you're quite right: the ref did ruin it. Has he never heard of playing advantage? There was a warning about him beforehand on a Uruguayan blog I frequent - and they were right. Uruguay didn't have anything like enough though, Caceres was absolutely clueless for the sending off, and Argentina always looked the more composed, compact side.

So it's the play-offs yet again for Uruguay. And as for Argentina: if Maradona stays, they'll get theirs. England still owe them one: 2002 wasn't enough for me. Bring those *******s on!

I wouldn't take that as a cert. not sure what the Costa Rican and Honduran sides are like, but if they have someone who can score goals I cannot see any reason why they should fear that Uruguayan side.

And as for Argentina winning the World Cup, I actually think Scotland have a better chance of winning the trophy in South Africa.

A poor, poor game of football, played out by two poor sides (which in its own funny way kept it interesting for large parts)

Agreed!

Poor game and made worse by the dreadful commentary.

Whoever the summariser was, he obviously doesn't understand the word "summary"!!!

Honduras or Costa Rica vs Uruguay then.....

Personally, I hope it's Honduras. Costa Rica play on a plastic pitch, which Uruguay won't be used to at all.

I wouldn't take that as a cert. not sure what the Costa Rican and Honduran sides are like, but if they have someone who can score goals I cannot see any reason why they should fear that Uruguayan side. Certainly from watching the Costa Rica U20 side playing in the U20 World Cup they appear to have a number of good players in that level, not sure about at senior level.

I must admit i'm basing a lot of that on having seen the Honduras v USA game at the weekend. The standard was dire (and I predict the USA will do nothing at the World Cup) yet they have comfortably qualified ahead of both Costa Rica and Honduras. I think Uruguay will play completely differently against them with a much more positive mentality and win the home game by at least a couple.

I must admit i'm basing a lot of that on having seen the Honduras v USA game at the weekend. The standard was dire (and I predict the USA will do nothing at the world cup) yet they have comfortably qualified ahead of both Costa Rica and Honduras. I think Uruguay will play completely differently against them with a much more positive mentality and win the home game by at least a couple.

I'm not sure who plays at home first, and hope it's the CONCACAF side. I agree Uruguay will be more positive, especially in the home leg. Four years ago, most people assumed 5th place = qualification, but were reckoning on Australia 2001 turning up, and not Hiddink's Australia, an utterly different proposition. This time should be different, all things being equal.

If the CONCACAF side are at home first, 1-0 to them followed by 2 or 3-0 to Uruguay is what I'd reckon. But in a play-off, everything's on a knife edge - and Uruguay will have players suspended too.

I'm not sure who plays at home first, and hope it's the CONCACAF side. I agree Uruguay will be more positive, especially in the home leg. Four years ago, most people assumed 5th place = qualification, but were reckoning on Australia 2001 turning up, and not Hiddink's Australia, an utterly different proposition. This time should be different, all things being equal.

If the CONCACAF side are at home first, 1-0 to them followed by 2 or 3-0 to Uruguay is what I'd reckon. But in a play-off, everything's on a knife edge - and Uruguay will have players suspended too.

CONCACAF home on Sat 14th. Uruguay home on 18th.

Trust me that Australian team are better than any team currently in the CONCACAF nevermind whoever ends up 4th and playing Uruguay. If its Honduras I think Uruguay may well score 3 or 4 in the home leg.

CONCACAF home on Sat 14th. Uruguay home on 18th.

Trust me that Australian team are better than any team currently in the CONCACAF nevermind whoever ends up 4th and playing Uruguay. If its Honduras I think Uruguay may well score 3 or 4 in the home leg.

You're basing that on having seen one game though - featuring a side who beat Spain this summer! Honduras shouldn't be a problem for Uruguay in theory; but they do have potential. I've thought that for a while, ever since they beat Brazil at the Copa America. They're dangerous in a play-off.

But having reassured an over-emotional Uruguayan during the summer that his team would finish 5th, and certainly not have to face Mexico in the play-off (which he kept insisting), but rather the vastly more manageable Honduras or Costa Rica, I'll stick with what I said then. That Uruguay would qualify - and exit in the first round next summer, probably finishing 3rd in the group.

southside1874

Its passed footballing ability. if you have footballing ability you would have qualified just now. its about the greatest show on earth now and the ability of the small endearing nation that can make it.

The World Cup need that small nation thats going to try its heart out. Its all about the show.

PS had a few tonight......

The World Cup need that small nation thats going to try its heart out. Its all about the show.

I'm hoping its going to be little Bahrain who if there was any justice would have been 2 or 3 up against New Zealand after Saturdays first leg.

Its passed footballing ability. if you have footballing ability you would have qualified just now. its about the greatest show on earth now and the ability of the small endearing nation that can make it.

PS had a few tonight......

Uruguay are a small nation that tries its heart out - so get behind them! No other nation with such a tiny population has even got to the final, let alone won the thing twice.

I do get what you mean though: the Trinidad or Jamaica thing, basically. It's still possible Honduras could go through automatically tonight - but if not, try North Korea. Or Paraguay or Chile (small countries both). Or Gabon, who could still make it ahead of Cameroon. Or New Zealand!

southside1874
Uruguay are a small nation that tries its heart out - so get behind them! No other nation with such a tiny population has even got to the final, let alone won the thing twice.

I do get what you mean though: the Trinidad or Jamaica thing, basically. It's still possible Honduras could go through automatically tonight - but if not, try North Korea. Or Paraguay or Chile (small countries both). Or Gabon, who could still make it ahead of Cameroon. Or New Zealand!

Ahhh bring North Korea to the table. Didn't they play before somewhere and do quite well??

Easy money.

But not for poor old Jeepers!

Good day at the bookies on Saturday so now I've stuck.... ?400..... on Uruguay....at 6/4. Hopefully will see me returned a smooth grand.

This, ladies and gents, is why betting is a mug's game. :stuart:

Archived