Uruguay v Argentina - showdown in Montevideo

shaun.lawson

Tonight, two nations who, between them, have won the World Cup four times, and contested the first ever final 79 years ago (after which, enraged Argentines stoned the Uruguayan embassy in Buenos Aires: welcome to international football), meet for the biggest gran clasico in decades. If Ecuador win in Chile, defeat for Argentina would put them out altogether: an unthinkable scenario for a side which played so brilliantly at the last World Cup.

Argentina tend to patronisingly view Uruguay as their kid brother; Uruguayans hate Argentinians, when it comes to football at least. In truth, the two nations are almost identical: most of Uruguay's culture is derived from their neighbour to the south, rather than Brazil, the one to the north. But those similarities still lead to a bitter, bitter rivalry: this will be the 177th meeting between them, a record in international football, and the atmosphere at the Centenario is always hot for a visit of their greatest rivals.

Can Argentina cope with the pressure? Can they somehow find some self-belief, some cohesion, some inspiration from their train wreck of a manager? The Argentine press have been urging Maradona to drop Messi: certainly, he'd be scary from the bench, but that he's not playing well for his country must be down to his coach. The man who picked 79 different players for 11 games; and the man who doesn't believe in getting out of bed until lunchtime. Meaning Uruguay have been doing double training sessions all week, whereas their opponents have been playing relaxed, bizarre 14-a-side games.

There is a scenario in which the game turns into a huge anti-climax. If it becomes clear Ecuador aren't going to win, a draw might be played out in Montevideo, leaving Uruguay in the play-offs. I hope that doesn't happen though - because this game is massive. Massive. To give you a flavour, here's an eyewitness report from the corresponding game 12 years ago:

The Argentinian fans, segregated in one corner of the Centenario stadium, let out a roar which belied their numbers, as the visitors, taking advantage of some sloppy Uruguayan defending, took the lead. Another two goals saw the Argentinian fans exultant, stripped to the waist, twirling their shirts above their heads as they bounced up and down, baying at the crestfallen Uruguayans on the other side of the line of riot police.

Then, with just a few minutes remaining, one of the Uruguayan forwards sidestepped a challenge on the edge of the area and sent a shot crashing into the top corner. As the scorer knelt and made the sign of the cross, it was as if someone had hit the loudness button to reveal a new dimension in volume. The stadium vibrated with the noise of tens of thousands of voices singing out the glory of the goal and the misery that it must be to be Argentinian.

At the final whistle and despite their defeat, the Uruguayan team saluted the crowd and headed purposefully to the Argentinian section where, amid much fist-clenching, they brandished their sky blue shirts and taunted the visiting fans penned behind the high fence. It was the sort of gesture which might well have started a riot, or at least incurred the wrath of FIFA, had it not been for the fact that all the players were women.

Uruguay's women's team had just lost 3-1 to Canada in a 60 minute warm-up match. The main event was still an hour and a half away.

And that main event was when Uruguay were already out, and Argentina almost through. Imagine what it'll be like tonight! It gets underway at 11pm UK time, and I can hardly wait. In the meantime, here's a superb piece by Martin Samuel, setting the game in further context. Tonight will not be a contest for the faint of heart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1220194/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Montevideo-Ego-landed-mortal-Maradona-faces-endgame.html

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Uruguay were to score first in Montevideo the Chilean attitude in Santiago might be somewhat 'relaxed' ?!

On a bit late for a school night, would have liked to watch it as well.

If Argentina defend as well as they did on Saturday, Diego may as well watch the WC from the view of my couch.

I wonder if Uruguay were to score first in Montevideo the Chilean attitude in Santiago might be somewhat 'relaxed' ?!

Ah - but Chile are managed by Marcelo Bielsa, who's Argentinian, and really wants his native country to qualify. They won't be easing off at all. Meanwhile, the Argentinian media are naturally asking why they're struggling under an idiot, whereas both Paraguay and Chile, managed by their compatriots, are already through!

If Argentina defend as well as they did on Saturday, Diego may as well watch the WC from the view of my couch.

Watch out for those "Maradona Breakfasts" Gig! :2thumbsup:

Shaun, are you still doing your book on the Uruguay team?

Yes. It's a medium term thing: I have to learn Spanish, and get the funds together to travel there for three or six months to research it, none of which will happen overnight.

But I should be meeting a top sports book publisher about it soon; and if you think about it, getting it released in time for the run-up to the 2014 World Cup makes sense. Because it's in Brazil - and who, totally against the odds and a backdrop of 200,000 screaming locals, won it last time it was held there? Uruguay.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
Yes. It's a medium term thing: I have to learn Spanish, and get the funds together to travel there for three or six months to research it, none of which will happen overnight.

But I should be meeting a top sports book publisher about it soon; and if you think about it, getting it released in time for the run-up to the 2014 World Cup makes sense. Because it's in Brazil - and who, totally against the odds and a backdrop of 200,000 screaming locals, won it last time it was held there? Uruguay.

Shouldn't you learn how to write first Shaun ?

Shouldn't you learn how to write first Shaun ?

:10900:

All in good time, Sir; all in good time. :smiley2:

:10900:

All in good time, Sir; all in good time. :smiley2:

Some of us have jobs Shaun and have to get up early to earn money to house and feed our families. I look forward to your review in the morning. :smiley2:

portobellojambo1

Was my thought originally too G-A, i.e. bugger it I'll have to pass on this to make sure I'm up for work tomorrow. But I've decided I will stay up and watch and go into work a little later tomorrow.

Nothing against Argentina but a victory for Uruguay and a victory for Ecuador would be a pleasant end to the evening/early morning.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I reckon Urugay will turn them over but I'm not having a punt on the outcome, probably have a wee bet on goals, sure to be quite a few I'd imagine!

Going to be a great game. Watch out for Suarez - he is tremendous.

portobellojambo1

Know it's got bugger all to do with Uruguay versus Argentina (but it is international football), just saw the highlights of Poland versus Slovakia and the pitch was pure white and it was bucketing down snow (maybe it's just me but thought it was a wee bit early for snow yet, obviously not).

Know it's got bugger all to do with Uruguay versus Argentina (but it is international football), just saw the highlights of Poland versus Slovakia and the pitch was pure white and it was bucketing down snow (maybe it's just me but thought it was a wee bit early for snow yet, obviously not).

And Slovakia are through! Quite a story for them (especially given how poor the Czechs' campaign has been), but they've got a dreadful fascist element within their support, and I assume they'll have little to offer in South Africa. Thinking about it, the biggest casualties so far have been Sweden, Croatia and the Czechs: surely one of Argentina, Portugal and France will follow.

And Slovakia are through! Quite a story for them (especially given how poor the Czechs' campaign has been), but they've got a dreadful fascist element within their support, and I assume they'll have little to offer in South Africa. Thinking about it, the biggest casualties so far have been Sweden, Croatia and the Czechs: surely one of Argentina, Portugal and France will follow.

Hopefully the frogs.

Can't stand Domenech.

1 Sergio Germ?n Romero (G)

6 Gabriel Heinze (D)

2 Rolando Schiavi (D)

4 Mart?n Demichelis (D)

14 Nicol?s Otamendi (D)

14 Javier Mascherano (M)

17 Jon?s Guti?rrez (M)

7 Angel Di Mar?a (M)

18 Juan Ver?n (M)

10 Lionel Messi (F)

9 Gonzalo Higua?n (F)

Argie team.

Veron to run the show!

Hopefully the frogs.

Can't stand Domenech.

Me either, but I suspect they'll be fine. My hunch is that Portugal are most vulnerable.

Unlike 2006, France don't have Zidane - but you look at that team sheet, and their problems become almost unfathomable. I couldn't believe Domenech kept his job after Euro 08: it has to be political, surely? Wenger doesn't like international football, but imagine what he could do for them!

Me either, but I suspect they'll be fine. My hunch is that Portugal are most vulnerable.

Unlike 2006, France don't have Zidane - but you look at that team sheet, and their problems become almost unfathomable. I couldn't believe Domenech kept his job after Euro 08: it has to be political, surely? Wenger doesn't like international football, but imagine what he could do for them!

Yes it was bizarre that Domenech kept his job after scraping the qualifying campaign and having a dismal Euro 08.

His system is not suited to the players France have at their disposal.

Good day at the bookies on Saturday so now I've stuck.... ?400..... on Uruguay....at 6/4. Hopefully will see me returned a smooth grand.

Yes it was bizarre that Domenech kept his job after scraping the qualifying campaign and having a dismal Euro 08.

His system is not suited to the players France have at their disposal.

At USA 94, more by luck than judgement, Arrigo Sacchi somehow survived a torrid group stage and led his country to the final (or rather, was carried there by Roberto Baggio, who was on fire). There, they lost unluckily on penalties - but Sacchi's nonsense was found out at the subsequent European Championship.

At Germany 06, more by luck than judgement, Raymond Domenech somehow survived a torrid group stage and led his country to the final (or rather, was carried there by Zinedine Zidane, who was on fire). There, they lost unluckily on penalties - but Domenech's nonsense was found out at the subsequent European Championship.

Italy fired Sacchi. Why didn't France fire Domenech?

So are we looking at

France

Portugal

Russia

Greece

against one of

Rep Ireland

Slovenia

Bosnia

Ukraine

Fancy all the seeds myself.

Unbelievable that the likes of Aguero, Tevez, Zanetti, Riquelme cannae get a game!

Unbelievable that the likes of Aguero, Tevez, Zanetti, Riquelme cannae get a game!

Thats because Maradona is a choob!

So are we looking at

France

Portugal

Russia

Greece

against one of

Rep Ireland

Slovenia

Bosnia

Ukraine

Is the draw for that seeded?

What a heap of pish that is!

PS Argies all over the place already...

So are we looking at

France

Portugal

Russia

Greece

against one of

Rep Ireland

Slovenia

Bosnia

Ukraine

I'd fancy Ireland to get past Greece; or believe it or not, Portugal. But you know what I'm like! :stuart:

Is the draw for that seeded?

What a heap of pish that is!

PS Argies all over the place already...

Yep, apparently it was decided in the last fortnight by those bastions of fair play at FIFA. Its an utter disgrace that they move the goalposts at this stage in an attempt to ensure the likes of France and Portugal dont liss out although of course little will be said about it.

Charlie-Brown

Uruguay are the '**** of the earth' - the SFA President at the time told us so .... I don't think he ever retracted or apologised for it.

Argentina tend to patronisingly view Uruguay as their kid brother; Uruguayans hate Argentinians, when it comes to football at least. In truth, the two nations are almost identical: most of Uruguay's culture is derived from their neighbour to the south, rather than Brazil, the one to the north. But those similarities still lead to a bitter, bitter rivalry: this will be the 177th meeting between them, a record in international football, and the atmosphere at the Centenario is always hot for a visit of their greatest rivals.

I would disagree with saying they're almost identical..... Uruguay is much more forward looking, less religious and less corrupt!

The Argies are currently angry with the Uruguayans over a small paper mill that was built 2003ish i think and have been blocking the closest bridge to Uruguay at the Gualeguaychu - Fray Bentos crossing for years! This isn't an official blockage.... just a few crazy locals in Gualeguaychu who are ****ed they aren't getting their backhanders.... They claim that the pulp mill is polluting to the river, yet all tests have proven it isn't and in fact it actually cleans up the river as before Fray Bentos's Sewage was going straight into the river..... it now isn't! (the real reason they're ****ed is the fact that the mill was possibly going to be built on the other side of the river but after changing the local laws amongst other things Botnia baulked at all the backhanders they were being asked for that the plans moved across the river)

To add to the furor

Nestor Kirchner the former president and current "first husband" / leader of one of the many peronist partys in Argentina wanted to be elected for mercosur president or something and because of the bridge blockage the Uruguayans said no....

The Argies also got ****ed off when the two front runners of the Uruguayan election (in a month or two) both said that the Argies are nothing but crooks and scoundrels :)

Interestingly they lifted the road block for Argy cars going into Uruguay if they had match tickets......

anyway enough rambling the game is 13 mins in...... FUERZA URUGUAY!

Hackney Hearts
Thinking about it, the biggest casualties so far have been Sweden, Croatia and the Czechs

...and Scotland, surely.

Got ?30 Argies at 7/5, didn't even know about the game and its importance until when picking up a coupon Chris Kamara came on Ladbrokes Live saying he'd lumped on them.

Yep, apparently it was decided in the last fortnight by those bastions of fair play at FIFA. Its an utter disgrace that they move the goalposts at this stage in an attempt to ensure the likes of France and Portugal dont liss out although of course little will be said about it.

Except this isn't true. Remember I tipped Scotland to qualify all those months ago? The reason I did so is I thought you'd finish 2nd, with a good enough record; and your world ranking at the time suggested you'd be seeded. FIFA always seed the play-offs, and those countries whining about it now should've known all along.

Riquelme threw his toys out of the pram after Maradona (possibly the greatest ever footballer (but ****e organiser of defence) ) wanted him to play 15 metres further up the pitch and that Maradona didn't personally phone him to say he wasn't selected for the France friendly....

He has a habit of doing this :)

At least 2 red cards I'd say.

Ridiculous tempo to the game!

I think this'll end up 10 v 9. But it's not that dirty: just hard and incredibly physical.

The Old Tolbooth

I've got money on Uruguay (and I hate them with a passion) to win this one, I got 6/4.

I just think Argentina are an absolute mess just now and don't deserve to go through to the world cup finals, I hope they fail to get there and Maradona gets sacked so that Argentina can get back to normal asap.

Uruguay are the '**** of the earth' - the SFA President at the time told us so .... I don't think he ever retracted or apologised for it.

But at that tournament, he was right. Uruguay were a complete disgrace: something Tabarez (their coach now, and also in 1990) would acknowledge himself.

I watched that game again on DVD only the other day. Scotland's technical and tactical limitations were embarrassing - but by sending off Bossis after only 55 seconds, the French referee made a rod for his own back. Had he dismissed further Uruguayans, he'd have had an international incident on his hands - so what Uruguay did was scythe down Scot after Scot for the rest of the game. Nothing was done; and barely any injury time played either.

FIFA don't get much right - but their law changes after Italia 90 made a massive difference. Now, a side just couldn't play like that and get away with it.

Archived