Wallace Magnificent, Deek Who?

letsmakesomenoise

If Burley was as ****ed as some same, I wonder how we managed to get to the position we did under him.

Must have been luck no doubt.

marshallschunkychicken
So how's he managed to get, hold down and do well in a number of managerial jobs, over and over again? And how did this not impact on Hearts' fortunes under him? Probably because it was never as big a deal as many made out.

Agreed.

I met GB at 12:30am in the bar of the Dalmahoy, beer in hand, the early morning before an SPL game. I don't give a toss, because that day, we beat Rangers at Tynecastle.

Errm, which jobs are these then, fail at Southampton and not exactly a resounding success at Scotland.

Big success at Ipswich. Big success at Hearts. Top six with Derby and Southampton. Fail? How so? He had one season in which to get them up - they lost in the play-off semis to the winners on penalties. Yeah, big fail... :nah:

Agreed.

I met GB at 12:30am in the bar of the Dalmahoy, beer in hand, the early morning before an SPL game. I don't give a toss, because that day, we beat Rangers at Tynecastle.

Imagine posting that on kickback before a game now and a defeat followed a couple of hours later.:21::10900:

Charlie-Brown

It won't be too long until the Scotland team sheet reads out as follows...

1. Craig Gordon, 2. Craig Thomson, 3. Lee Wallace, 4. Christophe Berra ......

jamboinglasgow

was thinking that, though would be good to have a back five of Hearts raised players. But saying as the next nearest Scottish center back coming through the Hearts ranks who could make the Scotland squad is nasher who is either 16 or 17. I think we may have to go with the one who really was developed at Hearts (I know he came from Arbroath but we made him into a big player till he blew it) and made an international by Hearts. Judas Webster. On his form for Dundee United he may be there.

It looks like at the moment, Hearts create defensive players, hibs create strikers. Hopefully we can bring through some top attacking players over the next few years.

Wallace did ok. It wasnt difficult to stand out in that Scottish team on that performance from them.

With regards to Riordan. Burley picked him because of the media campaign. Didnt play him because of the media campaign. I think it is obvious to all and sundry that Riordan has attitide, bad attitude and I dont think Riordan will get picked for the Wales friendly.

John

Big success at Ipswich. Big success at Hearts. Top six with Derby and Southampton. Fail? How so? He had one season in which to get them up - they lost in the play-off semis to the winners on penalties. Yeah, big fail... :nah:

He was Hearts for 2 months or whatever. All the other teams are just diddy teams. No ManUtd or Chelsea, diddy teams. Fact!

Yep thought young Wallace had a good game but I saw the same old flaw a few times during the game Lee tends to move in field beside the centre backs when the opposition attack down there left of centre and leaves a big gap on the right hand side for there full-back or wing-back to move into. I notice he has this fault playing for us as well and teams will pick up on this, to solve this he needs a fit Andrew Driver to fill this space for him personally I would like to see Lee playing left mid-field for his attacking prowness and Jose playing left back.

Grumpy.

Frankenstein Jambo.
I'm not pretending anything of the sort! Course he is - but if it was a problem, he wouldn't have held down the manager's job at Ipswich for over 8 years, or been appointed by Derby, Hearts, Southampton or Scotland: the latter involving due process which specifically investigated the rumours/allegations about him, and found no case to answer.

He's a very liberal, relaxed manager, and is clearly fond of a drink. It probably emanates from his time as a player at Ipswich, when they were one of the most relaxed, least serious of all the successful clubs at the time. But I'll always believe that so many assume he's an out-and-out alcoholic because of:

a) Rumours spread about him by DoF Murdo Mackay when he was at Derby. That's the same Murdo Mackay who's currently doing time for fraud. But mud sticks - so these rumours were seized on by

B) Vladimir Romanov: who didn't trust him and was looking for a way to get rid of him as soon as he achieved full control of the club. At a board meeting, Phil Anderton innocently let slip that a player had reported he could smell alcohol on Burley's breath at training, he'd checked this out, and found no case to answer. But because Vlad was desperate to get rid, he immediately demanded Burley travel to an alcohol clinic in Lithuania for 2 weeks.

Naturally, given he didn't have a problem which needed treatment, Burley refused; and Romanov viewed this as breach of contract. Disgracefully, Anderton was subsequently ordered to sign a document justifying the club's behaviour, on the grounds that Burley was an "alcoholic"; and when Anderton rightly refused (because the document was a pack of lies), he was sacked.

Far from being a raging drunk, all Burley has ever been is a victim of circumstance and innuendo.

Em, ok.

Source?

5. Judas.....

Pain that all threads/roads lead down the same boring path and you have to read all the same crap when you want to see what folk thought of one of our player's international debuts. I thought he did well. As for the rest of the stuff on this thread cant you guys go and play ouside for a while and give us peace?

Midfield Dynamo
Fair enough Sean and if that is what you want to believe then fine, but more and more I can't help thinking that we got very very lucky under Burley, I actually don't rate him at all now.

we got very very lucky under Burley

We were not lucky........we were magnificent.

Any supporter will tell you that was the best 9 or 10 games the JT's have strung together in recent history.

What a great time we had until Vlad put a stop to it.

We certainly did, along with your stories exonerating George why not add in the fact that he was spinning on his backside in Harrys Bar on a Friday night around 2a.m. before a SPL game, absolutely hammered. Selective memories.

Was he playing on the Saturday?

Em, ok.

Source?

This was covered in the book written by Mark Donaldson, called 'Believe' I think. The source for all this information came from George Foulkes. I suppose you could say he wasn't the most impartial but then again he was the only one who was close to the situation and could come out and talk about it, so there isn't an alternative version of events that could be believed.

B) Vladimir Romanov: who didn't trust him and was looking for a way to get rid of him as soon as he achieved full control of the club. At a board meeting, Phil Anderton innocently let slip that a player had reported he could smell alcohol on Burley's breath at training, he'd checked this out, and found no case to answer. But because Vlad was desperate to get rid, he immediately demanded Burley travel to an alcohol clinic in Lithuania for 2 weeks.

Close, but not quite the cigar, Shaun.

It wasn't a player that reported GB, it was one of Vlad's "men" who went on to Scottish Cup success. Anderton also had complaints from members of the public / a publican about the very behaviour already mentioned elsewhere on this thread.

2 entirely different sources that came up at the same board meeting - you decide if it's a conspiracy or not.

Anyway, back on topic I thought Lee had a great game in Japan, probably his best of the season. I hope he gets some confidence and takes that form forward intoi rd into the rest of the SPL campaign.

Thought Lee Wallace was magnificent today, hopefully will keep his place ahead of the guid Scottish laddie Fox.

As for Riordan I'm sure I heard he came on but that was the last I heard of him! Naff!

lee did play well, however against a japanese 2nd string. As ever gordon was our best player and ratboy never got a chance to be fair

Archived