"For Club and Country"

Commander Harris

There is ill-feeling towards Hearts from every corner of Scotland just now, thanks to the easily led sheep of other supports who did not realise that all the negative press thrown our way by the media was in direct response to us having the audacity to speak out against the OF bias that exists in our league and to break their duopoly... be it only for a season.

Which is also why I don't support any other Scottish team in Europe.

Jeeeeeeeezuuuuuuusssssssssss.... With the Miko thing already... he was no more a cheat than maloney on New Year's day or that othe rcheat from your home country... Laugharty or something. You do not have to agree with everything your fellow supporters do, you know? i mean i was apalled by miko's dive but equally if not more so by the ridiculous witch hunt that ensued... i did not agree with the booing of him or lithuania... on the flip side of this however i do not agree with the anti Catholic, Asian, Jewish and irish songs that a few Hearts fans sing. i am not about to stop supporting my football team though because I don't like a certain elemnt of my fellow fans.

I have formed an opinion on Scotland based on those reasons, nothing to do with other supporters. I don't need other people to back up my opinions, they're mine for a reason.

Scotland were never my football team though, so you're last point is pretty irrelevant.

You and many other immigrants come here year after year, seeking a better life and often an escape from battle torn countries and poverty. When people emigrate here, I like you (apparently) want to see them made welcome, whether they are from Pakistan, Northern ireland or Poland but i do not think we should put their/your home nations first when it comes to making leisure wear associated with our club. Perhaps they can be an afterthought... that would be a nice jesture, but as Scotland is club's our homethen it should be recognised as such, first and foremost.

I think you're unfamilar with the concept of moving from one part of the United Kingdom to the other. I didn't 'escape' a war torn country, the area of Belfast I lived in had no probelms what-so-ever and was a non-denominal estate.

I've never said anyone should put my nation first, I said I hoped Hearts would follow up the Scotland top with one for Northern Ireland and England, as both countries have, an albeit small, proportion of Hearts supporters. Also, AFAIK, Hearts have been represented by more than a handful of players who hail from these countries too. Players like Andy Driver, Phil Stamp and Andy Kirk to name 3.

We have been treated badly by the SFA but as I see it, Hearts have played a big part in the Scottish Football team's history and so if you weigh it up, i would rather honour our heritage and celebrate our part in it while doing my best to make immigrants like you welcome. For example I would never sing songs about you and your kin folk, just like I would not about any other nation of people.

Again, I don't think you're familair with what makes someone an immigrant.

Still hope N.Ireland get humped though after your wee tantrum.

That's your right, just like it's my right to hope Scotland get a tanking.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacDonald Jardine
fans.

You and many other immigrants come here year after year, seeking a better life and often an escape from battle torn countries and poverty. When people emigrate here, I like you (apparently) want to see them made welcome, whether they are from Pakistan, Northern ireland or Poland but I do not think we should put their/your home nations first when it comes to making leisure wear associated with our club. Perhaps they/you can be an afterthought... That would be a nice jesture, but as Scotland is our club's home then it should be recognised as such, first and foremost.

FFS

You're all heart. Being considerate enough not to give immigrants a hard time for not being from here.

Out of interest in what way is Poland battletorn?

Or Northern Ireland these days?

If I move to Newcastle am I an immigrant escaping wartorn Edinburgh?

Guest JamboRobbo

I've never said anyone should put my nation first, I said I hoped Hearts would follow up the Scotland top with one for Northern Ireland and England, as both countries have, an albeit small, proportion of Hearts supporters.

But why though? I doubt Hearts will make much money on the Scotland ones, as there won't be many who'll buy them. Just look at the comments on here you can see many people think it's a ridiculous top.

So I don't see how anyone can possibly think it's viable to do the same for countries where we have, by your own admission, only a small proportion of Hearts fans.

There is not a big enough market to justify it, simple as that.

Again, I don't think you're familair with what makes someone an immigrant.

Etymologically at least "migrant" (and by extension "immigrant" and "emmigrant") derives from the word "Migrate" which merely refers to moving from one place to another it doesn't necessarily imply crossing any geographical political boundaries and indeed can often happen inside a single country, this is commonly referred to as "internal migration" to differentiate it from the cross border kind.

You for example will presumably feature in the following data

Title: Migration - Northern Ireland

SummaryDescription: The Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency compiles estimates of migration based on a number of sources including the Central Services Agency Central Health Index' date=' the Electoral Register, and the Population Census. Estimates are available by age and sex for moves between Local Government Districts and moves between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Net migration estimates are prepared annually as part of the production of mid-year population estimates.

[/quote']

Source: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/Analysis.asp?vlnk=151

It may be worth pointing out that even if you'd moved from Belfast to Londonderry you'd still be an immigrant there, officially at least.

So in summary Mothy was using the term correctly even if it was in the process if being a bit obnoxious wind up merchant

Etymologically at least "migrant" (and by extension "immigrant" and "emmigrant") derive from the word "Migrate" which merely refers to moving from one place to another it doesn't necessarily imply crossing any geographical political boundaries and indeed can often happen inside a single country, this is commonly referred to as "internal migration" to differentiate it from the cross border kind.

It may be worth pointing out that even if you'd moved from Belfast to Londonderry you'd still be an immigrant there, officially at least.

So in summary Mothy was using the term correctly even if it was in the process if being a bit obnoxious wind up merchant

Well, if you use it under those terms, we've all migrated at one point or another.

However, like you've stated, to claim I've left a war torn country to seek a better life is a ludicrous statement.

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Etymologically at least "migrant" (and by extension "immigrant" and "emmigrant") derives from the word "Migrate" which merely refers to moving from one place to another it doesn't necessarily imply crossing any geographical political boundaries and indeed can often happen inside a single country, this is commonly referred to as "internal migration" to differentiate it from the cross border kind.

I freely admit to being an obnoxious wind-up merchant in this instance... When someone throws big, girly, hissy-fits and starts attention seeking tantrum threads intended to appear 'interesting' and 'political' by slating the country that allows them stay there as a 'migrant' from elswhere, then I reserve the right to be obnoxious in return.

It was an exercise in empathy and suggestive that if one is prepared to sling muck about in such a manner then surely they should be prepared to get a mucky face.

For the record I have nothing against the Northern Irish or anyone else, just because of where they originate from but after reading arrogant opinions, contrary to my beliefs then I see it as only right to offer the other side of the coin...

After the recent wind-ups on here though i now want to be just as narrow minded in response and as such will now be hoping N.Ireland get absolutely horsed tonight.

:10900:

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Well, if you use it under those terms, we've all migrated at one point or another.

However, like you've stated, to claim I've left a war torn country to seek a better life is a ludicrous statement.

Do you mean this part of my post?

"... and often an escape from battle torn countries and poverty... "

I would have thought that the word 'often' would have been the giveaway? No? :2thumbsup:

Personally I migrated to Glasgow for a few years. I wouldn't recomend it.

War torn or not, Do you have an interesting story to share about why you left?

Did you meet a Scottish tourist lost hiking in the mountains of Morne while you were both sheltering from a lightning storm, fall, madly in love and leave your homeland to be with her?

Are you a top geneticist who came here to help out cloning sheep at Roslin?

Did you always dream of being able to spit on Hibs fans from your window?

Did you lose a bet?

If your storys quite dull then could you make up an intersting one?

Sterling Archer
I doubt it'd be financially viable to start producing ones from countries that weren't Scotland.

I doubt it'd be financially viable to produce them atall.

I wouldn't wear one to a Scotland game, but living in England would consider buying a top that managed to combine Hearts and Scotland in a stylish way and wasn't too expensive. Would then happily wear it for 5-a-side and Euro trips (the only times I really wear a replica top). Unfortunately this doesn't combine them in a stylish way and is over priced.

Eckauskas, perhaps your choice of countries seemed a bit provocative? Why not Poland, Wales, Lithuania, or Ireland?

Archived