BOMBER ' FREE ON WEDNESDAY'

Logic1874

Hillary Clinton and Barac Obama "try" to critisise Scotland for this, but who did they jail for the shooting down of the Iranian Airliner that started this whole sorry sage ? Despite knowing exactly what happened, despite their warship being (ilegaly) in Iranian waters, despite the other American warships identifying it as civillian airliner on a scheduled flight down a recognised air corridor and using the correct transponder, and despite knowing who on board the warship gave the order, and who pulled the trigger.... Nothing.

To (loosely) paraphrase Vice-President Bush, the US will never apologise for that, no matter what the facts are...

For the record, the crew of that ship were actually decorated by the US government after (but, presumably, not because of) that incident.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, I understand that al-Megrahi's defence team for the appeal are gutted that the appeal was dropped. Nuff said.

Private Hudson
Heres a direct quote after the US downed that Iranian passenger aircraft, killing 290 civilians. Vice President George H. W. Bush (later President of United States of America) declared a month later,"I will never apologize for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what the facts are."

Newsweek, August 15, 1988

Says it all about the US worldview, then and now.

Preaching to the choir Drew mate. For some reason there's a pervading view that the US government is capable of this kind of thing but the good old straight bats of the UK government would never be so underhand and covert. We are America's bitch and have been since we basically went bankrupt at the end of World War II and borrowed ridiculous amounts of cash from them.

This will all blow over in a couple of months when he dies.

Hopefully the questions that remain over this entire saga will remain and get louder.

This will all blow over in a couple of months when he dies.

Hopefully the questions that remain over this entire saga will remain and get louder.

Unfortunately, I fear that these questions will, in fact, fade away following his death.

He dies as a condemned man, the Libyan nation continues its rehabilitation in the international community and the West reaps the benefits. Everyone's happy.

Well, everyone except the relatives of the 270 innocent people who were murdered, and, in particular, those who do not accept the truth as has been presented by the judicial system. But hey, what does truth and justice matter when there are a few billion barrels of oil to be controlled?

AlphonseCapone

It's fair enough to point out the family memebers of victims who say they believe he is innocent, and that the decision is right. But there were 270 victims, and the majority of the families have remained silent. Some have said the decision was wrong, that he is the man responsible etc.

I have no idea what happened, as do any of us on here but every person affected by that day should be heard, not just the one's who choose to be in the public light. And by the way for any idiot who thinks I am insulting the man, I am not, I am just saying not everyone could cope with dealing with the media and their emotions in public, he's an unbelievably brave man fighting for what he believes in, but that doesn't mean others with different reactions or different ways to deal with it should not be considered.

It's fair enough to point out the family memebers of victims who say they believe he is innocent, and that the decision is right. But there were 270 victims, and the majority of the families have remained silent. Some have said the decision was wrong, that he is the man responsible etc.

I have no idea what happened, as do any of us on here but every person affected by that day should be heard, not just the one's who choose to be in the public light. And by the way for any idiot who thinks I am insulting the man, I am not, I am just saying not everyone could cope with dealing with the media and their emotions in public, he's an unbelievably brave man fighting for what he believes in, but that doesn't mean others with different reactions or different ways to deal with it should not be considered.

Which man are you refering to?

The opinions from all sides have been considered, but sadly when it comes to the whole case, I think there are greater forces at work, and that this outcome has been deemed as the best one.

However, taking it purely at face value, the decision to release him is nothing to do with any doubts over his guilt. He will die a condemned man. The final perversion of the whole sorry case is that, were he to remain in jail until his death, he probably had a pretty good chance of having his name cleared, post-humously. As Al Megrahi said, he was faced with a horrible choice.

Accepting that he has been found guilty by a court of law of murdering 270 people, his release is pretty hard to take, and must be utterly abhorent to the relatives that believe in that verdict. However, if we, as a society, believe that dying prisoners should be considered for a release, then so be it...although are some crimes so bad that no compassion should be shown to the person convicted of them? Quite possibly.

As for the welcome given to him on his return to Libya, it was at best hugely insensitive, and at worst, highly offensive to the victims. And it was horribly predictable in a country with which we, in the West, have chosen to do business. Prince Andrew is reconsidering a visit there...yes, reconsidering a visit to a country which has (regardless over the doubts of Al Megrahi's guilt) accepted responsibility for the murders. Why no outrage that he, a member of the British Royal Family, was planning to go there in the first place?

Some of the highlights from the 'have your say' section on Fox News, written by their entirely reasonable and level-headed viewers...

Maryland

Scotland needed Libyan oil.

Montana

LOOKS LIKE ITS TIME TO BOYCOTT SCOTTLAND AND SEIZE THERE US ASSETS AND GIVE THEM TO THE VICTOMS FAMILIES.BUT DONT EXSPECT ANY HELP FROM THE TRAITOR IN THE WHITE HOUSE

yahlers

Georgia

When he dies, they should bury him under the Lockerbie Memorial at Syracuse University. Then, drop an nuke on the middle east, show them what terror glows like.

conservchick89

Connecticut

He should not have been released, but what is more appalling is that we was wearing a Nike hat while boarding the plane. Was this hat given to him or did Nike sponsor this bomber? Either way not a connection Nike should be proud of.

nmbarbie

New Mexico

Great! Send the Lockerbie bomber to Libya! It will save Scotland the money it cost for cancer treatment and will turn him over to the tender loving care of the Muslims!

omchamlin

Virginia

Is his plane in the air right now? Is it a Libyan plane. Could we scramble a je.... Aww, never mind, we don't have the sack to do THAT now, do we?

jmayner

Washington

Isn't it ironic how this terrorist is being released from a disease that in the US (with its terrible healthcare) is almost 100% curable, but only around 77% curable with a government healthcare system?

kunner

Missouri

Hey Scotland, William Wallace would not have approved of his release.

odinsring

California

I hope all people in the US cancel all travel plans to this wonderful, chicken district called Scotland. I wouldn't put one toe in the district of Scotland. Sovereign country? I think not.

plethora68

Washington

The Scottish should have been threatened with economic sanctions. Failing that, his escape jet to Libya should have been shot down and televised by the US Navy or Air force. This shows that Obama is completely out of touch and ineffective. They would have never released this guy if Bush or another Republicaqn had been in office.

Georgia

Now we finally know what is under the Scotsman's kilt. Nothing.

notnowmooky

California

I visited Scotland over a dozen times for business meetings and personal travel. My Scottish colleagues always seemed so rational. What went wrong this time? Shame on the Scottish government for validating the life of a terrorist and, thereby, encouraging others of his ilk to follow in his infamous footsteps.

Texas

This decision by Scotland is crazy! I'm never going to Ireland on holiday again!

Wisconsin

I'm going to sign up to the army when the invasion of Scotland gets under way.

Private Hudson
Some of the highlights from the 'have your say' section on Fox News, written by their entirely reasonable and level-headed viewers...

Maryland

Montana

LOOKS LIKE ITS TIME TO BOYCOTT SCOTTLAND AND SEIZE THERE US ASSETS AND GIVE THEM TO THE VICTOMS FAMILIES.BUT DONT EXSPECT ANY HELP FROM THE TRAITOR IN THE WHITE HOUSE

yahlers

Georgia

When he dies, they should bury him under the Lockerbie Memorial at Syracuse University. Then, drop an nuke on the middle east, show them what terror glows like.

conservchick89

Connecticut

He should not have been released, but what is more appalling is that we was wearing a Nike hat while boarding the plane. Was this hat given to him or did Nike sponsor this bomber? Either way not a connection Nike should be proud of.

nmbarbie

New Mexico

Great! Send the Lockerbie bomber to Libya! It will save Scotland the money it cost for cancer treatment and will turn him over to the tender loving care of the Muslims!

omchamlin

Virginia

Is his plane in the air right now? Is it a Libyan plane. Could we scramble a je.... Aww, never mind, we don't have the sack to do THAT now, do we?

jmayner

Washington

Isn't it ironic how this terrorist is being released from a disease that in the US (with its terrible healthcare) is almost 100% curable, but only around 77% curable with a government healthcare system?

kunner

Missouri

odinsring

California

I hope all people in the US cancel all travel plans to this wonderful, chicken district called Scotland. I wouldn't put one toe in the district of Scotland. Sovereign country? I think not.

plethora68

Washington

The Scottish should have been threatened with economic sanctions. Failing that, his escape jet to Libya should have been shot down and televised by the US Navy or Air force. This shows that Obama is completely out of touch and ineffective. They would have never released this guy if Bush or another Republicaqn had been in office.

Georgia

notnowmooky

California

I visited Scotland over a dozen times for business meetings and personal travel. My Scottish colleagues always seemed so rational. What went wrong this time? Shame on the Scottish government for validating the life of a terrorist and, thereby, encouraging others of his ilk to follow in his infamous footsteps.

Texas

This decision by Scotland is crazy! I'm never going to Ireland on holiday again!

Wisconsin

Good grief. To be fair though Fox are the station of the right wing. Hopefully that's not the majority opinion.

Maryland

Montana

yahlers

Georgia

conservchick89

Connecticut

nmbarbie

New Mexico

omchamlin

Virginia

jmayner

Washington

kunner

Missouri

odinsring

California

plethora68

Washington

Georgia

notnowmooky

California

Texas

Wisconsin

Good grief :21: scary comments all round but is poster 'Virginia' being sarcastic ?

.........and is poster 'Texas' just a sh*thead ?

Most of the victims were from the US, but they - rightly or wrongly - have had no say in the convicted bombers release.

Scotland could hardly complain if US tourists started to boycott us.

On the plus side no doubt we'll now be a popular destination for the good people of Libya to visit and a happy home for all manner of terrorists who see as as a soft touch

Drew Busby !
Good grief. To be fair though Fox are the station of the right wing. Hopefully that's not the majority opinion.

Don't know if anyone reads Private Eye ... it does a p|ss-take on half-witted posters who send Opinions like this to message boards. This Fox stuff is beyond parody though !

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/08/20/agree-decision-release-lockerbie-bomber/?storytab=story-comments#commentCount

And it just keeps coming...

goldengopherFlorida

... He shouldn't have been released in any case because he could still be used as a suicide bomber, so he does represent a continued danger. He could blow up the US embassy in Tripoli as a last act of defiance.

dollyrrTexas

If Scotland is so compassionate for this man, why didn't they give him the health care that he needed? Prostate cancer is 98% curable! Maybe this speaks volumes about Scotland's' universal health care system. But why compassion for this man, a man that took so many lives in such a violent way? Perhaps authorities in Scotland are trying to purge their own guilt, at the expense of the victims' families, knowing that they played a vital part in his demise for not giving him adequate medical attention.

edzzup

California

Once upon a time Scotland -- the land of my ancestors -- burned such people at the stake. Have we made progress?

Private Hudson
Don't know if anyone reads Private Eye ... it does a p|ss-take on half-witted posters who send Opinions like this to message boards. This Fox stuff is beyond parody though !

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/08/20/agree-decision-release-lockerbie-bomber/?storytab=story-comments#commentCount

And it just keeps coming...

goldengopherFlorida

... He shouldn't have been released in any case because he could still be used as a suicide bomber, so he does represent a continued danger. He could blow up the US embassy in Tripoli as a last act of defiance.

dollyrrTexas

If Scotland is so compassionate for this man, why didn't they give him the health care that he needed? Prostate cancer is 98% curable! Maybe this speaks volumes about Scotland's' universal health care system. But why compassion for this man, a man that took so many lives in such a violent way? Perhaps authorities in Scotland are trying to purge their own guilt, at the expense of the victims' families, knowing that they played a vital part in his demise for not giving him adequate medical attention.

edzzup

California

Once upon a time Scotland -- the land of my ancestors -- burned such people at the stake. Have we made progress?

I don't like to bash America ordinarily, there are of course plenty of perfectly sane, educated and reasonable people there, but they don't half make it hard sometimes. It's like an experiment in what happens if you let people do exactly what they want for 200 years. Some of it amazing, some of it jjust plain wrong.

It IS fun to watch the Yanks jumping up and down, frothing at the mouth, totally powerless to do anything about this situation.

edzzup

California

I wonder just how many wiches were accused of blowing up airliners ? :nah:

North Berwick Jambo

He was a patsy & will be dead before the end of the year so i dont see what all the fuss is about. Oh & where the hell do you buy saltires in Tripoli?

From someone who has lived the tragedy every day since the bombing and thrown his life into pursuing the truth since then...

Briton Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora also died on Flight 103, welcomed the Libyan's release, which he has long campaigned for, believing him to be innocent. "I think he should be able to go straight home to his family and spend his last days there," Swire told the BBC.

MacAskill has done the right thing and has acquited himself well. This is the humane course of action. The thing that marks us out from the "vengence forever" mentality and that has got this world into hell of a mess over centuries.

Jim Swire - someone whose depth of knowledge and personal grief exceeds everything that is being posted on this thread - agrees.

MacAskill should resign for two reasons:-

1/ it wasn't a compassionate release, it was a deal -don't drop the appeal, don't get released.

2/ to link cancer as a 'God given punishment' is a disgrace to all right thinking people - see attached letter, he should be brought to to task for such comments. Disgusting SNP tactics

From Mark Doran:

Yesterday, Kenny MacAskill, Scotland's Justice Secretary, described the terminally ill Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi as suffering under "a sentence imposed by a higher power". I am quite staggered by this.

I expect little of my party functionaries and government place-men nowadays; but even so it beggars belief that in the 21st century this man should be talking about cancer as a punishment from God.

Clearly Mr MacAskill has a far deeper insight into The Workings Of The Universe than is usual in a mere career politician. I mean, how else could he possibly know how the scales of Metaphysical Justice behave?

But the idea of ?a sentence imposed by a higher power? is one that ought to come back to haunt him. For a start, there is the issue of how the nation's millions of cancer sufferers will react to the information that the disease they have occurs as ?a punishment?. Do they perhaps want to ?confess? to something? You know, talk openly and frankly about the really bad thing they did that caused God to give them cancer? Maybe they once blew up a civilian airliner full of perfectly innocent people -- like, uh... the USS Vincennes did?

And since they obviously have this disease for a ?good reason?, how do they feel about using up precious NHS resources to treat something that they quite simply ?deserve to have?? Surely the statement by His Astounding Justiceness has now made it clear to them that they must all discharge themselves from hospital at once, and go and die quietly and cheaply somewhere else -- like the guilty dogs they obviously are?

And, presumably, all those cancer sufferers up and down the country ? shaking with fear before their surgery, or sick beyond description from their chemotherapy, or wasted to skin and bone with cachexia, or just counting the days they survive after their bad prognosis ? presumably they?re all perfectly happy to be dragged into a medico-moral paradigm that just about passed muster in ... the 13th century? Or are they perhaps a bit unhappy about this attempt to make them live under what are, in fact, ?Taliban values??

From Mark Doran:

Yesterday, Kenny MacAskill, Scotland's Justice Secretary, described the terminally ill Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi as suffering under "a sentence imposed by a higher power". I am quite staggered by this.

Mark Doran should wind his neck in.

Why not describe cancer as a sentence from God ? If you're christian , and thereby believe God creates all things, then he has to create wars & cancer. If you're a non-christian with cancer then you're unlikely to believe you've been given a "sentence" anyhow.

The fact is, the cause of many cancers is unknown. I think Mr MacAskill's words have been taken out of context by Doran - he was talking about Magrahi's condition only , not the condition of sufferers wordlwide.

heartgarfunkel
Did you just watch that interview as well?

My blood was boiling watching this arrogant, self-righteous little moron gobbing off like some sort of poet. He's an absolute clown and god only knows how much damage he's done to his party and Scotland's reputation.

I can scarcely believe how much of an arsehole this guy actually is.

I recently (but prior to the Megrahi issue) resigned my membership of the SNP because of this idiot. Any party, and party leader, who condone this clown, his ego, and his dictatorial style, are not worthy of trust.

Why not describe cancer as a sentence from God ? If you're christian , and thereby believe God creates all things, then he has to create wars & cancer. If you're a non-christian with cancer then you're unlikely to believe you've been given a "sentence" anyhow.

The fact is, the cause of many cancers is unknown. I think Mr MacAskill's words have been taken out of context by Doran - he was talking about Magrahi's condition only , not the condition of sufferers wordlwide.

His comments are offensive to my family and no doubt to many many other Scottish families.

As a Scottish Executive minister his responsibility is to represent all the people of Scotland, not spew out his narrow dogmatic personal religious view. We don't live in a theocracy (yet!!).

Secondly, Kenny (Drunk Tank) MacAskill is about as religious as my big toe - this was a cynical, pathetic, attempt to play up to the right wing Christian lobby in America.

How *****ing dare he use his elected position to impose religious belief by implying cancer is a punishment.

Like I said earlier, vile and disgusting comments and tactics from the SNP. I for one will now be actively campaign against them come the next election.

As per this article in Private Eye I think peoples outrage would be better focused on the governments and justice systems that have ensured we have all been denied the full truth about Lockerbie rather than the release of a dying man who was convicted based on evidence by key witnesses being paid millions by the CIA.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=in_the_back&

Anyone truly interested in the case should pay a visit to Dr Jim Swire's web site, he has followed the case as closely as anyone and his only interest is true justice for the murder of his daughter.

http://www.lockerbietruth.com/

His comments are offensive to my family and no doubt to many many other Scottish families.

His comments weren't directed at your family. He was describing Magrahi's plight.

As a Scottish Executive minister his responsibility is to represent all the people of Scotland, not spew out his narrow dogmatic personal religious view. We don't live in a theocracy (yet!!).

Secondly, Kenny (Drunk Tank) MacAskill is about as religious as my big toe - this was a cynical, pathetic, attempt to play up to the right wing Christian lobby in America.

How *****ing dare he use his elected position to impose religious belief by implying cancer is a punishment.

Like I said earlier, vile and disgusting comments and tactics from the SNP. I for one will now be actively campaign against them come the next election.

If he is as religous as your 'big toe', then why would he be tring to impose his religious view on people - I'm working under the assumption that your big toe isn't a born again christain.

And, yes - the SNP's secret plan to deliver Independence for Scotland is to 'play up' the right wing Christain lobby in the states. I don't know how I didn't come to this relisation earli. :qqb017:

You clearly do not, and most likely cannot, grasp the situation and like just getting wound up when the media tell you to. I bet you went out a bought a few Michael Jackson when he died.

Please campaign against the SNP, with your rationalisation coming across to voters we should be looking at 60-65% of vote. :2thumbsup:

He didn't even mention god. He merely said this is a sentence that no court, of any land, can revoke.

I'm not surprised at the right wing USA having a go at Scotland but I was a little surprised at why there was some bad reaction from some Jambos about decision to release Megrahi then I realised it's just the UJ brigade having a go at showing that there is still right wing views alive and kicking at tynecastle.

The Mighty Thor

Maryland

Montana

yahlers

Georgia

conservchick89

Connecticut

nmbarbie

New Mexico

omchamlin

Virginia

jmayner

Washington

kunner

Missouri

odinsring

California

plethora68

Washington

Georgia

notnowmooky

California

Texas

Wisconsin

Taken from 'Couldn't give two fox' news Scotchland.

Good Morning America. Y'all sat back and let Norad raise funds in the good ole US of A to sponsor terrorism in the UK for 35 years.

To quote the bard......O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us!

Have a nice day y'all. :smiley2:

AlphonseCapone
I'm not surprised at the right wing USA having a go at Scotland but I was a little surprised at why there was some bad reaction from some Jambos about decision to release Megrahi then I realised it's just the UJ brigade having a go at showing that there is still right wing views alive and kicking at tynecastle.

:qqb017: Hope your life isn't as boring and pointless as your above post.

:qqb017: Hope your life isn't as boring and pointless as your above post.

My life is full and very interesting. :10900: I just hope your life is more intersting than you make out in your reply

AlphonseCapone
My life is full and very interesting. :10900: I just hope your life is more intersting than you make out in your reply

:2thumbsup: Glad to hear it. Naw no really :10900:

:2thumbsup: Glad to hear it. Naw no really :10900:

Well maybe if you explained yourself a bit more (try putting a few sentences together to form a paragraph) then maybe you can have an intelligent input into a serious subject which is all over the news.

He didn't even mention god. He merely said this is a sentence that no court, of any land, can revoke.

He said :- "Mr Magrahi now faces a sentence, imposed by a higher power".

To me that's God - of whichever religion you choose.

He said :- "Mr Magrahi now faces a sentence, imposed by a higher power".

To me that's God - of whichever religion you choose.

He could have meant Gordon Brown? :cool_shades:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
As per this article in Private Eye I think peoples outrage would be better focused on the governments and justice systems that have ensured we have all been denied the full truth about Lockerbie rather than the release of a dying man who was convicted based on evidence by key witnesses being paid millions by the CIA.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=in_the_back&

Anyone truly interested in the case should pay a visit to Dr Jim Swire's web site, he has followed the case as closely as anyone and his only interest is true justice for the murder of his daughter.

http://www.lockerbietruth.com/

Milliband yesterday was banging on about Megrahi's welcome home being "highly offensive"....I tell you what's highly offensive Milliband you fecking bell-end, a government that's done everything they can to obstruct an appeal of so much importance. Hippocracy of the highest order

The waft of corruption coming from Mandleson, Brown and Milliband is unreal, I no longer believe this had anything to do with the Scottish government, this was an oil deal.

Drew Busby !

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the last few days, the USA again shows itself to be the outstanding world leader... in utterly staggering rank hypocrisy. The My Lai massacre....

Vietnam massacre soldier 'sorry', 22 August 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8215556.stm

"Lt William Calley, 66, was convicted on 22 counts of murder for the 1968 massacre of 500 men, women and children in Vietnam. ... He was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the killings in 1971. Then-US President Richard Nixon commuted his sentence to three years' house arrest."

So ... the US demands that Megrahi, dying of cancer, serve out his fnal days in jail. That compassion should not be shown.

However, one of its own, served only 4 years for an equally heinous crime. Of course, he and others only wasted a village full of "gooks" and we all know that a dead "****"'s life is insignificant compared to that of a solid US citizen.

Was that "compassion" that Nixon showed to Calley ? No. Just complete and callous disregard for the victims of My Lai.

My Lai...El Salvador...Iran Passenger Flight 655...Guantanamo... We need no lessons on justice, morality and compassion from the USA, its well beyond any redemption there.

.......and now the FBI are accusing Scotland of "rewarding terrorism" for releasing a dying man from jail. Presumably this FBI has nothing to do with the American government who paid $2,000,000 to the only person to Years later link Megrahi to the bombing, despite giving a description of a "suspect" at the time (and before the payment) that was absolutely nothing like him.

The Very same Americans who for many years quite openly raised millions and millions of dollars for Noraid. Blood money used to fund terrorism in Ireland and in the United Kingdom.

They have no concept of "justice" and their blinkered ignorance, and national arrogance is staggering.

AlphonseCapone
Well maybe if you explained yourself a bit more (try putting a few sentences together to form a paragraph) then maybe you can have an intelligent input into a serious subject which is all over the news.

Sorry big chief but if you bothered yourself to read the whole thread you'll find I've made two previous posts with many sentences. However, explaining myself to you is something I don't see the need in doing as I find your previous post boring, pointless and nothing to do with the subject.

But hey, your obviously the expert.

Sorry big chief but if you bothered yourself to read the whole thread you'll find I've made two previous posts with many sentences. However, explaining myself to you is something I don't see the need in doing as I find your previous post boring, pointless and nothing to do with the subject.

But hey, your obviously the expert.

Not an expert but good at making a point which some people may find boring or pointless but then again some will find it close to the truth:10900:

It all depends on your view.

The folks who lost relatives are questioning this decision, and who can blame them?

We are now a laughing stock for the whole world to enjoy.

http://www.boycottscotland.com/

Not everyone who lost relatives in Lockerbie are questioning the decision. Most of the British familes support MacAskill's decision.

I also don't believe we're a laughong stock for the world . If you mean we're a laughing stock in the US, i don't think so. The Magrahi story over the past few days in the States wasn't even front page news and a chain e-mail like the one in the link is hopefully restricted to a few rednecks and born-again christians, happily oblivious to their own country's involvement in this whole sorry business.

I had avoided this thread for a while but feck it. Can I take a moment to remind those talking about Megrahi's innocence/guilt that it has nothing to do with this issue. As I am sure you are all aware he was released for "compassionate reasons", not because there was doubt about his conviction.

Me? I have compassion for the families of 270 innocent victims, their innocence is absolute. Some of these people just went on holiday, some were just going about their daily routine. We owed all 270 justice, we should have been ensuring that the laws were observed and the guilty were punished. Well, we found someone and his guilt was proven in a court of law, no appeal had (so far) managed to disprove his guilt.

After serving so little of his sentence, we have allowed this man to return to his homeland, where he has been lauded like a returning hero. We did this for political reasons, any pious remarks about doing the right thing are incorrect in this instance. What we ignored, politically, was the reaction that may come from our biggest political ally. Having just read comments from the director of the FBI, I wonder if we are now starting to consider our choice.

I recently (but prior to the Megrahi issue) resigned my membership of the SNP because of this idiot. Any party, and party leader, who condone this clown, his ego, and his dictatorial style, are not worthy of trust.

I agree with you about the leader, however I would have to say he is representative of the fools that follow him. Apologies if that offends you, it is not intended to.

I had avoided this thread for a while but feck it. Can I take a moment to remind those talking about Megrahi's innocence/guilt that it has nothing to do with this issue. As I am sure you are all aware he was released for "compassionate reasons", not because there was doubt about his conviction.

Me? I have compassion for the families of 270 innocent victims, their innocence is absolute. Some of these people just went on holiday, some were just going about their daily routine. We owed all 270 justice, we should have been ensuring that the laws were observed and the guilty were punished. Well, we found someone and his guilt was proven in a court of law, no appeal had (so far) managed to disprove his guilt.

You say his innocence/guilt has nothing to do with the issue and he was released for "compassionate" and "political" reasons but don't you think the questionability over his involvement came into the political or even compassionate decision making ?

I'll wager if the case against Magrahi was clearcut - he'd be seeing out his time in Scotland.

And no-one on this thread is saying there shouldn't be compassion for the victims, or their families, many of whom who having looked into this case ( and sat through the trial)- believe a gross miscarriage of justice has occurred.

Personally I hope -as Magrahi claims - there is further evidence available which vindicates the decision to release him. Focus can then be re-directed to those responsible.

You say his innocence/guilt has nothing to do with the issue and he was released for "compassionate" and "political" reasons but don't you think the questionability over his involvement came into the political or even compassionate decision making ?

I'll wager if the case against Magrahi was clearcut - he'd be seeing out his time in Scotland.

I think this played a part as well - but don't think it should have been a reason to release him.

What new evidence would have come out in an appeal? Probably something that the authorities didn't want to surface.

And no-one on this thread is saying there shouldn't be compassion for the victims, or their families, many of whom who having looked into this case ( and sat through the trial)- believe a gross miscarriage of justice has occurred.

Personally I hope -as Magrahi claims - there is further evidence available which vindicates the decision to release him. Focus can then be re-directed to those responsible.

I don't think the questionability over his conviction had the slightest bit to do with it. I think that had his case been watertight and unquestionable he would still be at home in Tripoli right now.

I agree, a gross miscarriage of justice has occured. I just think that it is the one allowing a convicted man to walk free because we want to be pals with the countries boss.

As for further evidence, I would welcome any evidence to this case, however it is still not forthcoming. Just when will Megrahi's innocence proving "evidence" come forward?

I think this played a part as well - but don't think it should have been a reason to release him.

What new evidence would have come out in an appeal? Probably something that the authorities didn't want to surface.

There is evidence that will never surface because the UK government have tied it up as "classified" under terms of national security.

Sadly it seems the full picture will never be officially revealed however, Magrahi's solicitors claim to have evidence to exonerate him, and plan to release this, when the time is right.

The folks who lost relatives are questioning this decision, and who can blame them?

We are now a laughing stock for the whole world to enjoy.

http://www.boycottscotland.com/

As are the US and the UK. Have they managed to locate the WMD in Iraq yet?

To say Scotland is a laughing stock when you see the stuff the US get away with as part of their foreign policy beggars belief. Be it the invasion of Iraq or the supplying of a top grade arsenal to Israel to keep the Palestinians in check, they are being hypocrates

What do the American victims think of Dr Swire and his thoughts?

Archived