BOMBER ' FREE ON WEDNESDAY'

Logic1874

Sure we all have a opinion on this - want to share it ?

Mine is NO WAY - let him die in jail

Lets here your views

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drew Busby !

We frequently deride Islamist terrorist states for lacking the basic virtues we take for granted such as compassion and empathy. Western christian and humanist traditions both share these virtues.

If we truly are so civilized and enlightened in this country, then we should demonstrate our supposed moral superiority by letting this individual spend his final weeks and days with his family. Its the right thing to do and shouldn't be warped by the base emotion of vengence - whether he was fully implicated in the deed or not.

i want to know who he is first before committing to an opinion.

Sorry folks - Abdulbaset Ali al- Megrahi - Libyan convicted of Lockerbie

bombing

Stewart MacD

1. I have grave doubts about the verdict.

2. Scotland should show its honour and compassion, and let this man spend his last days with his own family, regardless of guilt or innocence.

3. Scotland has had enough of being bullied by the ones down south. We won't take it from the septic tanks either.

Miller Jambo 60
Something fishy about the whole thing.

I don't believe he did it !

Someone had to be convicted and TBH not sure it was him.

Thing is the poor guy is dying.

Let the poor guy die in peace at home. He is just a scapegoat in all this, US intelligence knew it was the Iranians who financed and authorised the bombing and it was carried out by a Palestinian terrorist group rather than the Libyans.

The reason he will be freed is that if he pursued his appeal his lawyers would have produced internal US intelligence communications shedding light on the truth.

I had always presumed that he was a scapegoat - we were happy to convict someone & Libya were happy to offer up a patsy to stop further sanctions.

Now that that bint Clinton has stuck her nose in - sod the USA, let him go.

1. I have grave doubts about the verdict.

2. Scotland should show its honour and compassion, and let this man spend his last days with his own family, regardless of guilt or innocence.

3. Scotland has had enough of being bullied by the ones down south. We won't take it from the septic tanks either.

Couldn't agree more :thumb:

The only downside is that with no appeal being heard, the chance of the truth ever coming out is drasticaly reduced.

Not sure if he did it or not. But the bottom line is the justice system thinks he is a mass murderer, but want to let him go on compassionate grounds? If he did it, did he show any compassion the the people he killed? No. Let him rot.

He's being used as a political pawn.

The U.S., how dare theu try to bully Scotland, I hope he's freed just to stick two fingers up at them and Westminster.

I agree with the comments that there is actually doubt wether he was responsible.

I think that there are grounds for compassion and that he should spend the last days, weeks of his life with his family, regardless if he's guilty or innocent.

Letting him die in jail isn't going to bring the 270 people back.

Taking away the doubts many have about his conviction (even if he did play a role - he was part of a much bigger conspiracy) I don't see any good reason to keep him in jail for the last few weeks of his life.

He is not a danger to anyone and it's not as if Islamic militants are going to see how badly we're treating him and say:

"Better not mess with Scotland - they don't let you out even if you have terminal cancer. Let's go and bomb some liberal countries like Norway, we'll get parole quicker there".

He's being used as a political pawn.

The U.S., how dare theu try to bully Scotland, I hope he's freed just to stick two fingers up at them and Westminster.

It would be pretty darn cruel to let an innocent man die in jail in a foreign land without seeing his wife and kids again.

Gadaffi offered up two men who were paid handsomly to take the wrap for it. Who knows if it even had anything to do with Libyia, an Iranian civilian airliner was shot down by a U.S. warship and many believe this was an act of revenge by Iran to blow up an American one.

I think we should let him go, stick two up at Westminster and the U.S., let them know their politics should not interfere in Scottish matters.

Not sure if he did it or not. But the bottom line is the justice system thinks he is a mass murderer, but want to let him go on compassionate grounds? If he did it, did he show any compassion the the people he killed? No. Let him rot.

Hi folks - thanks for your reply to thread - but as i started it must give my views - totally agree with TommyC - OUR justice system said he is Mass murderer - so why so many think he not guilty - loads of conspiracy stories going on - M MONROE - J F K - LADY DI - list could go on - ok so he didn't do it ? - why not tell us WHO did MURDER 270 people - remember Gadaffi did pay a vast amount of money in compansation - as for letting him go home on compassionate grounds you having a ****ing laugh 270 deaths minimium of 27 years THATS COMPASSIONATE - 21st Dec 1988 - Fathers - Mothers and KIDS - Travelling to see their families in other parts of the World - X MAS presents in bags were shown no compasion - they were found in fields 5 mile from LOCKERBIE - some were found in trees still in their seats -one young girl was found in a chimney stack still in her seat - list goes on and on - don't talk bout compassion grounds - i think they will let him go free - but i would let him go home on a Libyean plane - tell folk from Lockerbie when it should be above their village and blow the ****er up - PARTY TIME - and cheers also to Billy the Jambo - might not agree with all my views but thanks anyway :Bazooka::Bazooka:

Given the doubts about his conviction, he should be bailed and allowed to return home pending the outcome of his appeal.

Given the time our justice system takes, it is a gimme he will die at home surrounded by his family.

There was alot of circumstantial evidence linking Megrahi with the bomb and he was convicted, rightly IMHO.

Was he fitted up by the USA and Libya or was he a patsy? With hindsight, perhaps. Libya wanted sanctions lifted, the USA and UK needed to show they had solved the crime. The conviction was convenient for alot of people.

It is also obvious that even if Megrahi was involved, he was just a cog in a very big mechanism that brought the jet down. Be it a re-trial or a fatal accident enquiry, there are too many unanswered question and those guilty of the bombing are still free.

Given the doubts about his conviction, he should be bailed and allowed to return home pending the outcome of his appeal.

Given the time our justice system takes, it is a gimme he will die at home surrounded by his family.

There was alot of circumstantial evidence linking Megrahi with the bomb and he was convicted, rightly IMHO.

Was he fitted up by the USA and Libya or was he a patsy? With hindsight, perhaps. Libya wanted sanctions lifted, the USA and UK needed to show they had solved the crime. The conviction was convenient for alot of people.

It is also obvious that even if Megrahi was involved, he was just a cog in a very big mechanism that brought the jet down. Be it a re-trial or a fatal accident enquiry, there are too many unanswered question and those guilty of the bombing are still free.

John Pilger released a compilation of reporting on world events five years back called "Tell me no lies". In it was the late Paul Foot (from Private Eye) giving his daily dispatches from the Hague trial. Foot revealed a lot of holes which suggest the trial was compromised by outside influences and conducted in a way to ensure at least one conviction.

Hi folks - thanks for your reply to thread - but as i started it must give my views - totally agree with TommyC - OUR justice system said he is Mass murderer - so why so many think he not guilty - loads of conspiracy stories going on - M MONROE - J F K - LADY DI - list could go on - ok so he didn't do it ? - why not tell us WHO did MURDER 270 people - remember Gadaffi did pay a vast amount of money in compansation - as for letting him go home on compassionate grounds you having a ****ing laugh 270 deaths minimium of 27 years THATS COMPASSIONATE - 21st Dec 1988 - Fathers - Mothers and KIDS - Travelling to see their families in other parts of the World - X MAS presents in bags were shown no compasion - they were found in fields 5 mile from LOCKERBIE - some were found in trees still in their seats -one young girl was found in a chimney stack still in her seat - list goes on and on - don't talk bout compassion grounds - i think they will let him go free - but i would let him go home on a Libyean plane - tell folk from Lockerbie when it should be above their village and blow the ****er up - PARTY TIME - and cheers also to Billy the Jambo - might not agree with all my views but thanks anyway :Bazooka::Bazooka:

Only that's what caused the deaths of the Lockerbie residents themselves. The plane blowing up as it was flying over their town.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
He had a fair trial in a neutral country and was found guilty.

:hang:

As others have said, there are grave doubts about the verdict and also pieces of evidence that the goverment have been scrambling to cover up.

As for Hilary Clinton, GTF.

Libya would not be happy if he died in jail, this is why the Government is releasing him. Gotta keep Libya happy at the moment imo don't know why the American government doesn't agree.

Also what I never realised until recently was that 2 weeks before the bombing an American frigate mistakenly shot down a Iranian plane killing over 200 people, Iran supposedly never retaliated.

shaun.lawson

It's hard to recall another conviction in recent years which has attracted so much doubt - not least among many of the families of those killed. It's utterly unsafe, and a handful of the responses on this thread make me want to scream. It's as though some people think he should be left to die whether he's guilty or not.

He had a fair trial in a neutral country and was found guilty.

:hang:

That same legal system (the Scottish one) that found him guilty, now thinks there may be grounds for an appeal.

Let the guy be free and live his last days in peace with his family. He should NEVER have been convicted and sentenced in the fist place, the man is INNOCENT!

I don't believe he or any Libyan did it. Nor, more to the point, do many in the CIA and in Israeli intelligence, not to mention the men who have probably done more research into the incident than anyone - The Jerusalem Post?s David Horovitz and Dr Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora was killed in the attack.

Did you realise that five months before Lockerbie, the USS Vincennes accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner - killing all 290 aboard - with a guided missile. Iran claimed the attack was deliberate and vowed revenge. The skies, promised Ayatollah Khomeini, would ?rain with blood.?.

Do not for one second believe the guy is guilty in the first place.

I'm pretty sure we're going to hear a lot more about this when the appeal get drops.

Will nobody find it a bit galling when he gets a heroes welcome in Tripoli?

I would hope that the Libyan people involved in his release will have more sense than that. A quiet back door job will be the order of the day.

Drew Busby !
I would hope that the Libyan people involved in his release will have more sense than that. A quiet back door job will be the order of the day.

I'm sure it will be, now that "we're all friends again". If Libya (and therefore Gadaffi) was behind the bombing, and if Megrahi's release is so contentious, then how did this come to pass only 5 weeks ago ? (a rhetorical question ... to which OIL is the perpetual answer...)

Brown_Gaddafi-701729.jpg

Sounds like prison.... :21:

Obviously this is an emotive case, but if they let folk like Biggs out then why not? As has been stated, I'm also not 100% about the validity of his conviction which is in itself as much of a "two fingers" to the victims as his release may be percieved.

TBH, I don't know what to think. If I knew 100% he was guilty I would say let the Murdering B****** Rot in Jail, Unfortunately I don't believe 100% he IS guilty...I believe he's involved in some way, as someone said a minor Cog in a big wheel. I would let him out to die at home, let's be honest, he's not going to last for months, AND it would REALLY P*** off the Americans.

TBH, I don't know what to think. If I knew 100% he was guilty I would say let the Murdering B****** Rot in Jail, Unfortunately I don't believe 100% he IS guilty...I believe he's involved in some way, as someone said a minor Cog in a big wheel. I would let him out to die at home, let's be honest, he's not going to last for months, AND it would REALLY P*** off the Americans.

spot on, almost exactly what i think.

his conviction IMO was motivated by american need for revenge and they forced the conviction on weak evidence to protect themselves from having to release some damming secret documents

Drew Busby !

The stench of UK government/economic hypocricy is overpowering. Blair and the oil companies were cosying up to Libya some 2 years ago. So if the UK feels so strongly about Libya's role in the bombing then we shouldn't touch their bloody oil should we ? Perhaps Mrs. Clinton should put BP on a US black-list of companies who deal with countries that the US doesn't like ? But no - how much more convenient it has been to keep Megrahi locked up as the guy carrying the can for the deeds of 20 years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/6035125/How-Gaddafi-came-in-from-the-cold.html

"...

Today, Col Gaddafi, now recast as a valued Western ally, is allowing BP to conduct its largest exploration project in Libya.

The British energy giant is scouring 21,000 square miles of the country's desert and coastline for untapped oil. Libya already possesses no less than 42 billion barrels of proven oil reserves – more than anywhere else in Africa - and many billions more probably lie undiscovered. On top of all this, Libya has at least 1.5 billion cubic meters of natural gas.

This may have been the first time that Mr Sutherland (BP Chairman) had been kept waiting beside a sand dune for an audience with a head of state, yet the agreement he and Mr Blair secured opened up vast new tracts for BP to explore. Before this meeting, Mr Blair disclosed that he was on first name terms with Col Gaddafi and paid tribute to the Libyan's reliability as an ally. "There is nothing I've ever agreed with him that should be done that hasn't been done," said the then Prime Minister.

"

I don't believe he or any Libyan did it. Nor, more to the point, do many in the CIA and in Israeli intelligence, not to mention the men who have probably done more research into the incident than anyone - The Jerusalem Post?s David Horovitz and Dr Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora was killed in the attack.

Did you realise that five months before Lockerbie, the USS Vincennes accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner - killing all 290 aboard - with a guided missile. Iran claimed the attack was deliberate and vowed revenge. The skies, promised Ayatollah Khomeini, would ?rain with blood.?.

There absoulty no doubt, that Libyan had some part in the bombing, they were the IMHO the hired hand to carry out the attack maybe in partnership with Iran people. If i am right the Libyan goverment have paid out over 200 million pounds in comp to the families of the people on the plane.

In terms of Ali, as much as it will be a nice gresture to let him leave and spend the last few days with his familiy, how do you know that he will not be around for serval months or even years, how would the people feel then ? I Believe he was used as a pawn and may or may not be inncoent.

Tbh I very much doubt the Libyan Government were the masterminds behind the plot. It is much much more likely that the main perpertraitors here were Iran. The Iranian Defence minister actually said "American bodies will rain down from the sky" after the US shot down one of their passenger jets.

Yes, the Libyans have since said it was them but by doing that they got trade sanctions lifted and have effectively made quite a bit cash from it.

I'm sure it will be, now that "we're all friends again". If Libya (and therefore Gadaffi) was behind the bombing, and if Megrahi's release is so contentious, then how did this come to pass only 5 weeks ago ? (a rhetorical question ... to which OIL is the perpetual answer...)

Brown_Gaddafi-701729.jpg

Sad fact of life DB

We happily consort with suspected murderers in many of our dealings with foreign powers. :hang: and we just have to deal with that the best we can I suppose.

Sadly, we may be as worthy of that tag ourselves nowadays though ?

As you say though, you dont have to dig too deep to expose the real drivers behind this phoney crusade.

There absoulty no doubt, that Libyan had some part in the bombing, they were the IMHO the hired hand to carry out the attack maybe in partnership with Iran people. If i am right the Libyan goverment have paid out over 200 million pounds in comp to the families of the people on the plane.

In terms of Ali, as much as it will be a nice gresture to let him leave and spend the last few days with his familiy, how do you know that he will not be around for serval months or even years, how would the people feel then ? I Believe he was used as a pawn and may or may not be inncoent.

I think there is considerable doubt about the Libyan involvement in fact many of those in the know believe that the bombing was actually carried out by the PLO splinter group the PFLP-GC, acting on Iran?s orders. They believe that the Lockerbie bomb timing devices were manufactured in a PFLP-GC workshop on the outskirts of Damascus. And that the evil genius behind it was not hapless fall-guy Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi but the sinister Ahmed Jibril, with PFLP-GC cell leader Hafez Dalkamouni doing the dirty work.

Reason the Libyans were blamed was Realpolitik of the most cynical and reprehensible variety. The Lockerbie investigation coincided with the run-up for the first Gulf War, when Britain and America were trying to build a broad a coalition and keep as many Arab nations as possible onside. Syria and Iran were more useful to their purposes than Libya, so it was Libya that got the blame. And if an innocent man spent the rest of his life in high security prison, well, that was a small price to pay for liberating Kuwait without creating too much division in the Arab world.

I know its wikipedia but it is a balanced article about Iran Flight 655 who's 290 victims also did not get justice and for which many think Lockerbie was in revenge for :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Hearing on the radio that he has dropped his appeal this morning. Representatives of the victims families are said to be bitterly disappointed as this probably means the truth is unlikely to ever surface now. One would assume that a deal has now been struck where he gets his compassionate release and any 'damning' new evidence never sees the light of day ?

Hearing on the radio that he has dropped his appeal this morning. Representatives of the victims families are said to be bitterly disappointed as this probably means the truth is unlikely to ever surface now. One would assume that a deal has now been struck where he gets his compassionate release and any 'damning' new evidence never sees the light of day ?

I don't think so. Any evidence that was going to be used in the appeal by the defence can now be announced to the public. Should be fairly interesting....:;):

Still think he should be let out on compasionate grounds ?

Old Ella Ramsden - God bless her - imagine she your gran ?

Or imagine one of the dead being one of your own.

I think the main reason the majority are for letting Megrahi out, is because they do not believe he did it.

I don't believe for a second that he did and think that truth will come out eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later.

shaun.lawson

Unfortunately, Logic (loving the ironic username there), showing us heart rending images of what happened makes no difference to your case given he probably didn't do it. As I said earlier in the thread: it's as though some people think he should be left to die whether he's guilty or not.

Many victims' families think the whole thing is a disgusting stitch up, and would like the truth. Because here's the thing: it's not just the so-called bomber's human rights which have been violated if he's innocent. It's also the human rights of every single person killed that awful day, and of their families, and of their friends. The UK government is legally obliged to make every effort possible to establish the truth and bring those responsible to justice - but appears not to have done so.

Unfortunately, Logic (loving the ironic username there), showing us heart rending images of what happened makes no difference to your case given he probably didn't do it. As I said earlier in the thread: it's as though some people think he should be left to die whether he's guilty or not.

Many victims' families think the whole thing is a disgusting stitch up, and would like the truth. Because here's the thing: it's not just the so-called bomber's human rights which have been violated if he's innocent. It's also the human rights of every single person killed that awful day, and of their families, and of their friends. The UK government is legally obliged to make every effort possible to establish the truth and bring those responsible to justice - but appears not to have done so.

Cheers Shaun - Admire your thoughts and views

but nothing will be settled if he set free

I don't think so. Any evidence that was going to be used in the appeal by the defence can now be announced to the public. Should be fairly interesting....:;):

Well like I said, they interviewed some Reverend so and so chap on the radio this morning and he certainly gave the impression that they were "right back where we started 21 years ago"

Doesn't sound like a public enquiry will ever get off the ground ?

Sterling Archer
I think the main reason the majority are for letting Megrahi out, is because they do not believe he did it.

I don't believe for a second that he did and think that truth will come out eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Exactly...I wouldn't for one second want a mass murderer to be realeased from prison on compassionate grounds. The whole idea of that is totally flawed.

The thing is that he didn't do it! Although I agree with what those before have said....the truth will simply disappear...these sort of things always do.

How the hell can people come to the conclusion that he didn't do it. You all sure that he had nothing to do with it in any way? I'm not.

Archived