Michael Jackson is dead ( edited title )

Towzer

Leaving the accusations aside , it must be remembered that he influenced a lot of musicians of today.There was a few musicians on the radio today saying that if it was not for him they probably would not be performing or be were they are just now.He was a very talented individual and his influences on other musicians, sell out tours and record/CD and album sales confirms this.

I thinks this is utter baws.

I started High School in 1983, the year that Thriller was released and a year or so later everyone seemed to be listening to The Smiths and Ocean Rain etc. Nobody in my gang or anyone I liked appeared to be influenced by Michael Jackson.

He was always thought of as very uncool, if at all from what I can remember of that time.

Hands up who bought his last record or knows what it was called without checking.

I've just watched Martine McCutcheon on Loose Women slaver on about her pain, as apparently she has met him twice. It was absolutely hilarious.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started High School in 1983, the year that Thriller was released and a year or so later everyone seemed to be listening to The Smiths and Ocean Rain etc. Nobody in my gang or anyone I liked appeared to be influenced by Michael Jackson.

He was always thought of as very uncool, if at all from what I can remember of that time.

Hands up who bought his last record or knows what it was called without checking.

I've just watched Martine McCutcheon on Loose Women slaver on about her pain, as apparently she has met him twice. It was absolutely hilarious.

As Morrissey once famously said

'It Says Nothing To Me About My Life'

Prove It?

You seemed to understand what I was saying when you replied on post 335.

Let me make it even clearer for you.

You're asking us to make a decision about guilt based purely on what the allegations are, as opposed to, you know, the weight of the evidence.

Say I accused you of sexually abusing your (hypothetical) daughter. There may not be a shred of proof to support my accusation, but the facts of the allegation will state that you abused her, because that's what the facts of the allegation are there for, and a trial is all about proving or disproving said facts.

So yes, I understand what you said. I'm telling you that you are wrong for having said it.

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.channel4.com/news/article.jsp?id=3233862&time=125541

An interview with Uri Geller...

A few points..

1. Illusionist is NOT a profession.

2. Friends dont call each other by thier full name ALL the time.

3. Uri Geller is a spoonbending fraud nobody and his desperation to recapture some limelight from this event is appauling.

Patrick Bateman

If I was a Hollywood producer, I'd be scrambling for a script to make a film conversion of the Thriller musical, probably in 3D too... it's the kind of project that would make Mamma Mia's gross seem like a pittance. That, or a "Jackson" biopic by Oliver Stone or someone similar.

boabyarsebiscuit

I'm obviously a bit older, but as I said earlier except for thinking the early Jackson 5 had some good "tunes", I find the whole catalogue of solo Michael Jackson material to be vapid boring crap aimed at white knobs who aren't really into music and like to be told what is "funky" rather than letting their toes and their asses tell them what actually IS "funky". I do like black music, from Stax / Motown artistes of the 60s and 70s, Curtis Mayfield, Sly and the Family Stone, to more modern acts such as A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul. Michael Jackson, his stuff just means nothing to me. I'd rather listen to a tap running.

Also, I'd really like to see a list of all these people who claim they'd never have made records if it wasn't for Michael Jackson. Just so I can avoid the *****.

Michael Jackson = pish. Fact.

Let me make it even clearer for you.

You're asking us to make a decision about guilt based purely on what the allegations are, as opposed to, you know, the weight of the evidence.

Say I accused you of sexually abusing your (hypothetical) daughter. There may not be a shred of proof to support my accusation, but the facts of the allegation will state that you abused her, because that's what the facts of the allegation are there for, and a trial is all about proving or disproving said facts.

So yes, I understand what you said. I'm telling you that you are wrong for having said it.

I suggest you read my posts again, then maybe you'll understand what I meant.

boabyarsebiscuit
I suggest you read my posts again, then maybe you'll understand what I meant.

Don't bother arguing. He's always right. Even when he's wrong.

Some of the posts on this thread have reached a new low even by kickback standards , well done to all involved:hang:

Craig Gordons Gloves
I'm obviously a bit older, but as I said earlier except for thinking the early Jackson 5 had some good "tunes", I find the whole catalogue of solo Michael Jackson material to be vapid boring crap aimed at white knobs who aren't really into music and like to be told what is "funky" rather than letting their toes and their asses tell them what actually IS "funky". I do like black music, from Stax / Motown artistes of the 60s and 70s, Curtis Mayfield, Sly and the Family Stone, to more modern acts such as A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul. Michael Jackson, his stuff just means nothing to me. I'd rather listen to a tap running.

Also, I'd really like to see a list of all these people who claim they'd never have made records if it wasn't for Michael Jackson. Just so I can avoid the *****.

WELL SAID that man. Thats a great way to describe his music. :2thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

:clap: :clap: :2thumbsup:

heartgarfunkel

Bang on, both of you, IMHO. Started High School in 1982, and the only folk who liked Michael Jackson were those who when older would religously watch Noel Edmonds's House Party, and go to Lighthouse Family & Robbie Williams 'shows' with their partner as part of a gang of other couples.

derek riordan's not my lover,

he's just a tramp who thinks that i am the one,

i think he's stanton's son...

Just read that $85 Million of ticket refunds will have to be made for his upcoming tour.

boabyarsebiscuit
Just read that $85 Million of ticket refunds will have to be made for his upcoming tour.

Imagine if you were mug enough to buy a pair of 85-quid tickets on eBay for a grand.

Pay: ?1000

Get Refund of: ?170

Deary me!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Imagine if you were mug enough to buy a pair of 85-quid tickets on eBay for a grand.

Deary me!

If people out there paid ?1000 for tickets to see Michael Jackson, then they deserve to lose the money IMO, for being ****ing idiots :nah:

Deary me!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Jackson-Opening-Night-VIP-Hospitality-Tickets-2_W0QQitemZ170346981875QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Tickets_Tickets_LE?hash=item27a978a9f3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 :qqb017:

These tickets were sold an hour before he croaked it.

Can you imagine

Man - 'Darling I have a surprise for you. two tickets and a whole VIP package for Jacko on his first night at Wembly'

Wife - 'You're gonna get ridden like Sea Biscuit tonight. Before that though turn on the news and lets catch the News Headlines'

Man - 'Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!'

Rabbie_Burns

Deary me!

Possibly not even get the ?170 either as they were saying on the news that it has to be the original purchaser who applies for refunds...

Deary me!

Were people parting with a grand for a ticket on the black market?

Jesus H Christopher

:10900:

boabyarsebiscuit
If people out there paid ?1000 for tickets to see Michael Jackson, then they deserve to lose the money IMO, for being ****ing idiots :nah:

But he's a genius! I mean, if there was no Michael Jackson we wouldn't have Justin Timberlake, Lemar, Gareth Gates, and ..., ehm, you get my point.

Walter Kidd

One hundred children have turned up at the gates of Neverland. The Old Bill are trying to find a locksmith to let them out.

But he's a genius! I mean, if there was no Michael Jackson we wouldn't have Justin Timberlake, Lemar, Gareth Gates, and ..., ehm, you get my point.

His influence spread further than that Boaby. I fear any chance of world peace died yesterday.

maroonlegions

I was going on the artists that have said they were influenced by him NOT

ALL of them and not ordinary NON musicians. I was not influenced by him in the bands i liked ,(punk).If you read my post clearly you would have seen that i meant ARTISTS not the punters on the streets like you and your mates. Some artists were influenced by him and that was my original point , so why you chose to refer you and your gang is a bit of a side step and utter PANTS.:10900:On another point you saying that The Smiths and Ocean Rain sold the number of records or were as successful as MJ.:nah:

boabyarsebiscuit

ALL of them and not ordinary NON musicians. I was not influenced by him in the bands i liked ,(punk).If you read my post clearly you would have seen that i meant ARTISTS not the punters on the streets like you and your mates. Some artists were influenced by him and that was my original point , so why you chose to refer you and your gang is a bit of a side step and utter PANTS.:10900:On another point you saying that The Smiths and Ocean Rain sold the number of records or were as successful as MJ.:nah:

Seeing McDonalds sell more meals than say, Marco Pierre White, that makes McDonalds better food, right?

I'm not equating commercial success with talent slavery chops.

No bad Punk ethic though

Seeing McDonalds sell more meals than say, Marco Pierre White, that makes McDonalds better food, right?

Aye, and I can remember loads of guys walking around Stenhouse in the early eighties with sparkly jackets, long perms and Popeye Doyle hats :10900:

Yeah musical genius is pushing the boat out a little too far. I fail to see where Jackson fits in with the likes of Bach, Beethoven, Gershwin, Mozart et al.

Then you have the likes of Dylan, Lennon et al whom I'd say were a lot more gifted when it came to actual music.

One hundred children have turned up at the gates of Neverland. The Old Bill are trying to find a locksmith to let them out.

The only one that's actually made me laugh.

rossthejambo

everyone's got their own tastes. whats to say yours is any more important/better than anyone elses?

boabyarsebiscuit
everyone's got their own tastes. whats to say yours is any more important/better than anyone elses?

Indeed. I wasn't the one saying somebody must be good because they sell loads of product. Or indeed bad. Although in this case, despite selling loads of sanitised black music to white kids, Michael Jackson is still pish.

When ML equated success to sales you have to admit that BAB's analogy was pretty good.

Joe Dolce's "Shaddap You Face" kept "Vienna" by Ultravox off the No.1 spot. Which of those is the better record?

maroonlegions

Artists Reflect on Michael Jackson

The reach of Michael Jackson's musical influence is an immeasurable one. On this sad day, and over the past few years, countless artists have praised the pop icon and his work to Spinner, and, in memory of Jackson, who passed away Thursday at the age of 50, we share some of those comments with you.

"It's always hard to lose a friend." --Smokey Robinson

"I am so grateful to have worked with the King (and always will be King) of the music industry. He was a gift to the world, he is a bright light and I wouldn't be surprised if the world stopped spinning tomorrow." --Black Eyed Peas' Will.I.Am

"The world has lost one of the most talented people we've all ever known. He was a hero for me as a child and his music helped my career to become known as an adult. He will always live through my turntables. Rest in peace Michael." --DJ AM

"Michael Jackson was my generation's most iconic cultural hero. Courageous, unique and incredibly talented. He'll be missed greatly." --Russell Simmons

"I am so saddened by the loss of a great idol and icon, Michael Jackson. He was, to me, the greatest entertainer of all time. He was a huge inspiration for performers across all music genres. He taught us all how to light up the stage. Wow." --'American Idol' judge Randy Jackson

"It is difficult to think of a more impactful loss from the passing of an icon than that of Michael Jackson. His entire 40-year career has been one of the greatest inspirations to our music. In the early part of our career, he and his brothers helped motivate us to pursue music regardless of our age. He was an unequaled talent who set the bar for how music can affect the world. We join the millions of music fans, mourning the passing of this true great!" --Taylor, Isaac and Zac Hanson

"I am deeply saddened to hear of Michael's sudden passing. His was a rare talent that we witness once in a lifetime. One who makes such an indelible mark that for generations singers and dancers attribute him as inspiration. I had the great privilege of watching him every night doing what he did best ... entertain. I am grateful to have known him for the two years that I worked for him and will mourn his loss with his many millions of fans across the world." --Sheryl Crow

"Michael was one of the most brilliant musicians I've ever known. The world will be a sadder place tonight because he is gone." --Neil Diamond

"Michael Jackson's personal crescendo of amazing power as an entertainer was clear and unmistakable, and has never slowed to this very day! His passing will be grieved far beyond that of any other singer, composer, producer, dancer and choreographer in the history of the world. Indeed, in my very firmest, personal, belief there will never, ever, be another Michael Jackson!" --'Soul Train' creator Don Cornelius

Michael Jackson Remembered

Retna / Getty Images / AP / WireImage

The King of Pop passed away at the age of 50 after suffering cardiac arrest. Look back at photos from the star's extraordinary life and career.

30 photos

(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

Remembering Michael Jackson

June 25, 2009 marked the passing of the one and only "King of Pop." With over four decades in the spotlight, he never ceased to amaze us. Fittingly, we've witnessed his incredible highs and tragic lows with rapt attention. In tribute, we take a look at the life of pop music's greatest entertainer.

"May you rest in peace, sweet Michael. You gave us all you had to give." --Lenny Kravitz

"My favorite Michael Jackson song is 'Ben' from the 1972 movie of the same name. It's a beautiful song about a lonely, troubled and misunderstood boy. A boy who finds solace in an unlikely friendship with another outcast who loves him for who he is. Rest in peace Michael Jackson." --Tom Morello

"Michael Jackson's death is a very surreal moment for people my age. He was such an omnipresent figure in pop culture for as long as I can remember. It feels like I knew him, but on the other hand it seems like noone really did. His music makes me move. I guess that's what he ultimately wanted." --Ben Lee

"I grew up with Michael Jackson as my idol. It was a family affair. We would all sit around the television whenever a new Michael Jackson video would premiere. I know the feeling I had when I saw him do the Moonwalk. I can only imagine the feeling they are getting in heaven seeing him walk through those gates." --Fonzworth Bentley

"Now is not the time for sorrow or criticism. Now is a time to celebrate our lives and celebrate the joy his music and message brought to the world and what that means to each of us. The King is gone but he will live on." --Brett Dennen

"I still remember being a kid watching Motown 25 with my family and losing my mind when he did the Moonwalk. Despite what he may have become in the end, pop music is what it is today because of him. There could be no Justin Timberlake, Omarion, Usher, Chris Brown, even Robbie Williams, without the music of Michael Jackson." --MSTRKRFT's Jesse F. Keeler

"Michael Jackson's done and accomplished so much that there's not even words to explain what he's done to urban music and pop music. Every artist that I personally know has been influenced by him." --Akon

"I never thought Michael Jackson would ever work with me. He actually sent for me, so that was kind of weird and cool at the same time." --T-Pain

"'Thriller,' musically, was amazing. It was just an amazing time." --Ciara

"[My favorite artist] of all time is Michael Jackson. I watched his DVD and almost cried. I would not know what to do if I ever met Michael Jackson. I would faint or I would cry." --The Veronicas

"The controversy that has surrounded him the last 20 years is only eclipsed by the genius of 'Off The Wall' and 'Thriller.'" --The Crystal Method's Scott Kirkland

"The music world suffered a monumental loss today. Michael Jackson's songs were loved and cherished by all. Many of them achieved true perfection. He was the biggest pop star that ever lived and he reminded us that pop music doesn't have to compromise. We send our condolences to his family and close ones." --A-Trak (Kanye West's DJ)

"Michael Jackson was one of the last true legends. His music will live on in all of us forever and ever. Just like Michael once sang 'I'll be there.'" Orange's Joe Dexter

"As a child Michael Jackson made me dance dance dance like a little bucktoothed fool. May his tired soul find peace and rest." --Bassnectar

"Today is a sad day for music. He was a great singer, a great artist and one of the best performers on the planet. We were looking forward to seeing him back in his full glory onstage, and now with his passing we'll have to remember him when he was 'Bad.'" -- Infected Mushroom's Amit "Duvdev" Duvdevani

"Michael Jackson's legacy will live as long as there is life in music. Arguably the greatest entertainer in the world. Amazing live shows, so many smash hits! So much talent! An enigma of a man. He was an icon and a legend. The man was a true superstar that left you staring at him in awe if you ever got the chance to see him. He would leave you starstruck. This man touched so many lives through his talent, energy and his art. He contributed to so many good causes and paved the way for many artists. He inspired millions of people including me. I personally believe our souls or energy can never die so death is not something I mourn. I celebrate his life and will miss his enigmatic energy on our planet in the form of the the King of Pop -- Michael Jackson. Thank you for everything!!" -- Iranian musician Mams Taylor

When ML equated success to sales you have to admit that BAB's analogy was pretty good.

Joe Dolce's "Shaddap You Face" kept "Vienna" by Ultravox off the No.1 spot. Which of those is the better record?

Crass's 'Sheep Farming In The Falklands' did not even register in the charts in 1984 despite it selling twice what the 'official no.1' did.

Loved to have seen them on Top of the Pops :10900:

rossthejambo

it was good, i wasn't really referring to that though.

was just speaking generally that if someone doesn't like his music that doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.

have to confess that those records may well have been before my time :2thumbsup:

Spot on :10200:

Artists Reflect on Michael Jackson

The reach of Michael Jackson's musical influence is an immeasurable one. On this sad day, and over the past few years, countless artists have praised the pop icon and his work to Spinner, and, in memory of Jackson, who passed away Thursday at the age of 50, we share some of those comments with you.

"It's always hard to lose a friend." --Smokey Robinson

"I am so grateful to have worked with the King (and always will be King) of the music industry. He was a gift to the world, he is a bright light and I wouldn't be surprised if the world stopped spinning tomorrow." --Black Eyed Peas' Will.I.Am

"The world has lost one of the most talented people we've all ever known. He was a hero for me as a child and his music helped my career to become known as an adult. He will always live through my turntables. Rest in peace Michael." --DJ AM

"Michael Jackson was my generation's most iconic cultural hero. Courageous, unique and incredibly talented. He'll be missed greatly." --Russell Simmons

"I am so saddened by the loss of a great idol and icon, Michael Jackson. He was, to me, the greatest entertainer of all time. He was a huge inspiration for performers across all music genres. He taught us all how to light up the stage. Wow." --'American Idol' judge Randy Jackson

"It is difficult to think of a more impactful loss from the passing of an icon than that of Michael Jackson. His entire 40-year career has been one of the greatest inspirations to our music. In the early part of our career, he and his brothers helped motivate us to pursue music regardless of our age. He was an unequaled talent who set the bar for how music can affect the world. We join the millions of music fans, mourning the passing of this true great!" --Taylor, Isaac and Zac Hanson

"I am deeply saddened to hear of Michael's sudden passing. His was a rare talent that we witness once in a lifetime. One who makes such an indelible mark that for generations singers and dancers attribute him as inspiration. I had the great privilege of watching him every night doing what he did best ... entertain. I am grateful to have known him for the two years that I worked for him and will mourn his loss with his many millions of fans across the world." --Sheryl Crow

"Michael was one of the most brilliant musicians I've ever known. The world will be a sadder place tonight because he is gone." --Neil Diamond

"Michael Jackson's personal crescendo of amazing power as an entertainer was clear and unmistakable, and has never slowed to this very day! His passing will be grieved far beyond that of any other singer, composer, producer, dancer and choreographer in the history of the world. Indeed, in my very firmest, personal, belief there will never, ever, be another Michael Jackson!" --'Soul Train' creator Don Cornelius

Retna / Getty Images / AP / WireImage

The King of Pop passed away at the age of 50 after suffering cardiac arrest. Look back at photos from the star's extraordinary life and career.

30 photos

(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

Remembering Michael Jackson

June 25, 2009 marked the passing of the one and only "King of Pop." With over four decades in the spotlight, he never ceased to amaze us. Fittingly, we've witnessed his incredible highs and tragic lows with rapt attention. In tribute, we take a look at the life of pop music's greatest entertainer.

"May you rest in peace, sweet Michael. You gave us all you had to give." --Lenny Kravitz

"My favorite Michael Jackson song is 'Ben' from the 1972 movie of the same name. It's a beautiful song about a lonely, troubled and misunderstood boy. A boy who finds solace in an unlikely friendship with another outcast who loves him for who he is. Rest in peace Michael Jackson." --Tom Morello

"Michael Jackson's death is a very surreal moment for people my age. He was such an omnipresent figure in pop culture for as long as I can remember. It feels like I knew him, but on the other hand it seems like noone really did. His music makes me move. I guess that's what he ultimately wanted." --Ben Lee

"I grew up with Michael Jackson as my idol. It was a family affair. We would all sit around the television whenever a new Michael Jackson video would premiere. I know the feeling I had when I saw him do the Moonwalk. I can only imagine the feeling they are getting in heaven seeing him walk through those gates." --Fonzworth Bentley

"Now is not the time for sorrow or criticism. Now is a time to celebrate our lives and celebrate the joy his music and message brought to the world and what that means to each of us. The King is gone but he will live on." --Brett Dennen

"I still remember being a kid watching Motown 25 with my family and losing my mind when he did the Moonwalk. Despite what he may have become in the end, pop music is what it is today because of him. There could be no Justin Timberlake, Omarion, Usher, Chris Brown, even Robbie Williams, without the music of Michael Jackson." --MSTRKRFT's Jesse F. Keeler

"Michael Jackson's done and accomplished so much that there's not even words to explain what he's done to urban music and pop music. Every artist that I personally know has been influenced by him." --Akon

"I never thought Michael Jackson would ever work with me. He actually sent for me, so that was kind of weird and cool at the same time." --T-Pain

"'Thriller,' musically, was amazing. It was just an amazing time." --Ciara

"[My favorite artist] of all time is Michael Jackson. I watched his DVD and almost cried. I would not know what to do if I ever met Michael Jackson. I would faint or I would cry." --The Veronicas

"The controversy that has surrounded him the last 20 years is only eclipsed by the genius of 'Off The Wall' and 'Thriller.'" --The Crystal Method's Scott Kirkland

"The music world suffered a monumental loss today. Michael Jackson's songs were loved and cherished by all. Many of them achieved true perfection. He was the biggest pop star that ever lived and he reminded us that pop music doesn't have to compromise. We send our condolences to his family and close ones." --A-Trak (Kanye West's DJ)

"Michael Jackson was one of the last true legends. His music will live on in all of us forever and ever. Just like Michael once sang 'I'll be there.'" Orange's Joe Dexter

"As a child Michael Jackson made me dance dance dance like a little bucktoothed fool. May his tired soul find peace and rest." --Bassnectar

"Today is a sad day for music. He was a great singer, a great artist and one of the best performers on the planet. We were looking forward to seeing him back in his full glory onstage, and now with his passing we'll have to remember him when he was 'Bad.'" -- Infected Mushroom's Amit "Duvdev" Duvdevani

"Michael Jackson's legacy will live as long as there is life in music. Arguably the greatest entertainer in the world. Amazing live shows, so many smash hits! So much talent! An enigma of a man. He was an icon and a legend. The man was a true superstar that left you staring at him in awe if you ever got the chance to see him. He would leave you starstruck. This man touched so many lives through his talent, energy and his art. He contributed to so many good causes and paved the way for many artists. He inspired millions of people including me. I personally believe our souls or energy can never die so death is not something I mourn. I celebrate his life and will miss his enigmatic energy on our planet in the form of the the King of Pop -- Michael Jackson. Thank you for everything!!" -- Iranian musician Mams Taylor

The Ramones left a greater legacy imo

it was good, i wasn't really referring to that though.

was just speaking generally that if someone doesn't like his music that doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.

Yeah, you are right. Music, like any art, is subjective and as such people are within their rights to eulogise or criticise as they see fit.

maroonlegions

Feck me, were did i say "BETTER", my point is SUCCESS , he was a multi millionaire mate,and did you understand my OP, that i meant ARTISTS not ordinary punters?? Oh and McDonald'sfood my be rank compared to Marco Pierre White but they are MORE SUCCESSFUL in the profits,(money), and sales.That was one of my original points i was trying to make on MJ, his SUCCESS going on sales ect was better if not his music.

maroonlegions
Crass's 'Sheep Farming In The Falklands' did not even register in the charts in 1984 despite it selling twice what the 'official no.1' did.

Loved to have seen them on Top of the Pops :10900:

True , this is the band that have influenced me , brilliant song about that war ,right in you face lyrics and not surprised their song was deliberately kept out of the mainstream charts.

Bordeaux 03

According to Sky News, the doctor who lived with him has gone missing.

Getting a bit far fetched here but if reports are true that he overdosed, could this be assisted suicide or even murder?

Patrick Bateman

The first 30-40 seconds sounds like a confession to me... It's also one of the few songs that actually makes me feel physically ill. Nice one.

brellier-for-france

Getting a bit far fetched here but if reports are true that he overdosed, could this be assisted suicide or even murder?

Mod edit

rudi must stay

that's the question I suppose. Sadly this will turn into another conspiracy now, I just think the pressure of that tour got to him.

Archived