Wallace Mercer Takeover Bid

Sherlock

I always wonder what would have happened if the deal had went through in regards to fans.

Would these new(Hibs) fans have been accepted at Tynecastle, or would they just have dissappeared.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Broxburn Jambo
:10900: Quality footage-icing on the cake was beating them 3-0 in the first derby after the attempted takeover.

FTH :rifle:

In the passing years I had almost forgot the real enjoyment I got from this game.

I will now have to redo my fav derbys list!!!

Anyone who's ever watched the 'Back from the Brink' video cannot possibly fail to understand what the man did for our club.

He should have been fecking Knighted for it.

The bit that everyone forgets is that Wallace's vision wasn't a simple takeover though. He was motivated by simple financial calculation, and reasoned that only a united Edinburgh club could hope to compete with Rangers' rapidly growing commercial might.

That Edinburgh club wouldn't have been called Heart of Midlothian, or in all probability, even played in maroon. Is anyone going to pretend any Hearts supporter would've tolerated that? Of course, no Hibs fan would've watched the new club either, so it was all pointless. What prompted Mercer to go through all that hassle for nothing, no-one will ever know.

PS. It was bloody funny though!

Shaun I think in your former life you spent too long listening to the revisionist pish from headsinthesandarseintheair.net as has been said by by others Hearts were never in jeopardy only the vermin

I love the derby as much as anyone as I'm sure all the others on the tread who wish to see their downfall, to be responsible for their demise would be the ultimate victory

as for fug, fud whatever your name is, go back to your mother or your sisters teet whatever it is you lot do and leave the grown ups to talk

at the time when Wallace left it was probably the best thing for both partners but people with at least one brain cell can look back and acknowledge that without Wallace Hearts as we know it would not be here and we wouldn't have experienced tose great days in '98 and '06

Really, you seem to be the only poster so far who thinks that.

I'm the only poster that's right then.

Gash

As I said in my post earlier, Alex MacDonald's management skills got hearts back to where we belong. WM was a showman & nothing more. Yes, he put his name as a Guarantor of debt, for that, we defo should be grateful. But, sorry, he cost HMFC a lot of money in this takeover, buying & selling the ticket office back & forward and countless more....

I will give credit when due, but he took over with a debt of around ?350K and sold out to Robinson with a debt of over ?5m. And give me "He built tyney sh*te", cause he only started the ball rolling with the Wheatfield Stand.

He made a lot of money out of us...FACT

Gash indeed.

Exactly how did Mr Mercer cost Heart of Midlothian a lot of money?

Although as you're wrong about selling the ticket office back and forward, i'm not sure of what use it would be to ask you to explain your "and countless more" comment.

PresidentRomanov
Anyone who's ever watched the 'Back from the Brink' video cannot possibly fail to understand what the man did for our club.

Correct Le Chat :smiley2:

Miller Jambo 60
that was fun watching that.

Remember that game well, another gubbing for the wee team.

As for there fans , what a bunch of clowns.

Still wont admit big Waldos attempt to take them over was a kick- start for the recovery of Hibs.

Braindead or what.

Dougstar. And Gorgie does rule.:10900:

I'm the only poster that's right then.

Why don't you supply us with your version of the facts then.

IMO Any Hearts fan who says they would have liked to have seen Hibs go under is either cyber lying just to get a rise out of the forum or seriously ill.

How anyone could live without a city derby is beyond my train of thought (See Aberdeen for a prime example). Throw in the fact that we've had so many highlights against them, football just wouldn't be the same for me.

PresidentRomanov
IMO Any Hearts fan who says they would have liked to have seen Hibs go under is either cyber lying just to get a rise out of the forum or seriously ill.

How anyone could live without a city derby is beyond my train of thought (See Aberdeen for a prime example). Throw in the fact that we've had so many highlights against them, football just wouldn't be the same for me.

At the time, Aberdeen were winning the title every other year, do you think beating Hibs three times a season would be better than that?

Hearts being the only team in Edinburgh would've resulted in success beyond our wildest dreams imo, getting rid of these sleekit second class citizens would've been a nice bonus too.

We survived the 98-99 season without them and i am as sure as hell will be able to survive the rest of my life without them. Plenty of memories to look back on and i would be able to look back on the greatest victory of them all............not having to share the City of Edinburgh with them after they disappear.

The youngsters growing up now would learn to love the victories against the old-firm just as much and us older fans would have the added bonus and enjoyment of knowing what happened to the Hibs.

As i have said before, with the mini love in with the Hibs from some supporters on here(not saying you), why would they miss a derby so much.

At the time, Aberdeen were winning the title every other year, do you think beating Hibs three times a season would be better than that?

Hearts being the only team in Edinburgh would've resulted in success beyond our wildest dreams imo, getting rid of these sleekit second class citizens would've been a nice bonus too.

That's not why I was comparing the situ to Aberdeen, I brought Aberdeen into it as they don't have a derby. How phoney would it be having to consider Falkirk/Dunfermline as you big derby? And what would have happened if the buy out hadn't been a success?

Nah, you can keep your Utopia. I much rather ****ing/embarassing the Vermin

on a regular basis.

And this isn't up for twisting - I'd always go for four league defeats from Hibs and Hearts winning the league. Following football is about spice imo and a huge amount of that would be lacking if Hibs weren't around.

The bit that everyone forgets is that Wallace's vision wasn't a simple takeover though. He was motivated by simple financial calculation, and reasoned that only a united Edinburgh club could hope to compete with Rangers' rapidly growing commercial might.

That Edinburgh club wouldn't have been called Heart of Midlothian, or in all probability, even played in maroon. Is anyone going to pretend any Hearts supporter would've tolerated that? Of course, no Hibs fan would've watched the new club either, so it was all pointless. What prompted Mercer to go through all that hassle for nothing, no-one will ever know.

How would you know, you weren't even a Hearts 'fan' then.

PresidentRomanov
That's not why I was comparing the situ to Aberdeen, I brought Aberdeen into it as they don't have a derby. How phoney would it be having to consider Falkirk/Dunfermline as you big derby? And what would have happened if the buy out hadn't been a success?

Nah, you can keep your Utopia. I much rather ****ing/embarassing the Vermin

on a regular basis.

And this isn't up for twisting - I'd always go for four league defeats from Hibs and Hearts winning the league. Following football is about spice imo and a huge amount of that would be lacking if Hibs weren't around.

Title deciders against the old firm, would carry a bit more excitement than beating these spazzers.

I get the impression, like the man your usernames after, that you just have a wee soft spot for Hibs.

PresidentRomanov
How would you know, you weren't even a Hearts 'fan' then.

What do you mean then :10900:

he actually saved that sister fisting, syringe loving, vermin.

I actually find that bit way way off the mark mate, simply no need for that kind of talk imo

Title deciders against the old firm, would carry a bit more excitement than beating these spazzers.

I get the impression, like the man your usernames after, that you just have a wee soft spot for Hibs.

PR, think thats unfair, the way I read it the guy enjoys the atmosphere of the derbies as we all do, doesn't make him a hibs lover

Yes that's right. I love our rivals.

What an absolute pleb.

Don't you party that bit harder when we beat the Hibs? So why would you want to rob yourself of that?

Your argument holds as much water as my sieve. If we had a team good enough to win the league do you not think that we'd be able to win the league with Hibs in it?

Like I said, some folk on here are seriously ill.

PresidentRomanov

I actually find that bit way way off the mark mate, simply no need for that kind of talk imo

:hobofish::108years:

Totally Agree.

:hobofish::108years:

thats actually mild compared to some of the things I've seen on here

MacDonald Jardine
Let's not forget he achieved the rights to about 66% of their shares but needed 75%

My gripe about the whole charade, was it cost Heart of Midlothian FC (not WM) about ?500K in legal fees.

As previous threads have stated before, WM had his hand deep in our till and was not some sugar daddy that I fondly remember.

Hearts had a great team to watch mid to late eighties, due in full to Alex MacDonald, Mercer was good in these days in feeding the press.

A great showman? YES, to be trusted? NO.

PS All you great "Shed Boys" should be ashamed with your Doddy must go chants at the start of a bad season '89-90 (due to a team suffering from bouts of food poisoning from a Romania tour)

Wrong. he could have gone ahead with 66% but chose not to.

Aye there is!

Wrong. he could have gone ahead with 66% but chose not to.

I wouldn't rise to it, MJ.

He's one of at least 3 who've marked their own cards.

Why? For sticking to the truth instead of making up ridiculous stories?

We're still waiting for you to supply us with your version of the facts.

Although its no surprise to find you completely ignoring a request to back up your inane drivel.

Let me guess, you worked for a company involved in the takeover, blah blah

can anyone explain to me:

a) exactly when did mercer become popular cos he was hate when he left the club?

B) why following hearts is MORE enjoyable without hibs? we would never be as big as the OF and without hibs would have no major rival. how many of your best memories about hearts involve beating hibs?

c ) why hibs not being in existence would have been a good thing? i hate hibs with a passion and that is why i want them to be there. how could anybody want to see no more derbies?

You are obviously not old enough or intelligent enough to appreciate what Mercer actually did for HMFC.

We were within hours of being closed down for good. Mercer came in and saved us, for him to do so and keep us going he actually had to re-mortgage his own house. Basically he put his financial life on the line for our club.

The Merger/Takeover was not a popular thing, I didnt want it to happen either at the time, however I and Many other Jambos who are old enough or know their clubs history will never forget what the man did for us and will always be gratefull to him.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Would be interesting to see how a United Edinburgh club would fair now if it had been created 19years ago...

No arguement I hate the idea of seen Hearts as a team disappear or the colours change,although I always thought of Edinburgh City colours been Maroon.

But changes have occurred in the past,never started playing in Gorgie,never started playing in maroon and have merged with St Andrews.

Still I think the initial bump of a merger and loss of many fans to support OF teams...lets face it in 1990 a lot of Hobos would have just gone to follow celtic if hibs were bought out.

As for hearts fans if the name and colours changed I think a few of the union flag brigade know where thier loyalties lay.

and that lack of fans would have kept Edinburgh City/United at the same level of support as Hearts had before the merger.

And with no extra fan base in the early years and lack of trophies maybe only a small increase in supporter numbers to 2009 as younger fans just support the city I think we would be at a 25000 match ave and still getting bad decisions from O/F refs to keep us in our place...

So we did have a lucky escape by not merging.

To everyone who thinks that the name of the intended club would have been Edinburgh United or Edinburgh City...

you do realise that there's was, and still is, football clubs called Edinburgh United and Edinburgh City...

With the way Hibs fans have acted over the past few seasons (singing songs about our deceased former chairman, wishing financial meltdown on the club, counting down to the "demolition" of our home) I find it really strange that any Hearts fan would be particularly bothered if the ****bags got what was coming to them.

With the way Hibs fans have acted over the past few seasons (singing songs about our deceased former chairman, wishing financial meltdown on the club, counting down to the "demolition" of our home) I find it really strange that any Hearts fan would be particularly bothered if the ****bags got what was coming to them.

Don't you see?

What is coming to them is living in our shadow for the rest of their days! That hurts them far more than the club just no longer being there.

Everytime they raise their heads above their usual fair, we always restore order within a year (late 60's/early 70's aside). They get 5 mins in the sun then we show them who's boss. Any Hibs fan won't tell you straight but how do you think you would feel if the boot was on the other foot?

That's why "Yams out of business in 6 months" is their best hope to cling to. They'll never be good enough to sort it out on the park.

PresidentRomanov

Agreed, I think some people just fall over themselves to be seen as fair minded, sporting types, it's a modern day pc thing imo :hat2:

Agreed, I think some people just fall over themselves to be seen as fair minded, sporting types, it's a modern day pc thing imo :hat2:

LOL.

I'm as PC as a brick in the face.

Simple question: Would you rather gamble at a "What if we bought out Hibs, merged and possibly rose to challenge the OF on a more regular basis?" or Have Hibs around, humiliate them on a regular basis and still have the odd year when we do well in the league?

The first option is just far too many what ifs imo. Absolutely no guarantee that Mercer's vision would have improved the situation.

One thing that always puzzled me and still does. If Waldo had access to the funds to do the proposed then why didn't he just put it into Hearts in their own right and see where that got us.

I have a feeling that Waldo was blowing hot air up a lot of backsides.

...One thing that always puzzled me and still does. If Waldo had access to the funds to do the proposed then why didn't he just put it into Hearts in their own right and see where that got us...

See Speedbump's post #28.

PresidentRomanov
LOL.

I'm as PC as a brick in the face.

Simple question: Would you rather gamble at a "What if we bought out Hibs, merged and possibly rose to challenge the OF on a more regular basis?" or Have Hibs around, humiliate them on a regular basis and still have the odd year when we do well in the league?

The first option is just far too many what ifs imo. Absolutely no guarantee that Mercer's vision would have improved the situation.

One thing that always puzzled me and still does. If Waldo had access to the funds to do the proposed then why didn't he just put it into Hearts in their own right and see where that got us.

I have a feeling that Waldo was blowing hot air up a lot of backsides.

There's no guarantee of anything, but Mr Mercers vision of a one club capital city, was a good one imo.

Given time - probably about a generation - the whole city would've got behind it and who knows what we could've achieved, of course, even if it didn't work, closing down these sleekit reptiles would've been victory enough for me.

Why don't you supply us with your version of the facts then.

You mean what actually happened?

When David Duff bought the club from Kenny Waugh Snr, he did so with the aid of an ?800,000 loan from Monaco based businessman David Rowland. About a year later, the club raised ?2M from a public share issue, more than half of which went to repaying the loan and interest. At the time of the flotation, Rowland's companies were also gifted 29.9% of the total shareholding.

A couple of years later (and having sold a bankrupt hotel chain to Hibs in the meantime), Rowland needed more quick cash and approached Mercer offering to sell him his shares. Also tied into this were 450,000 shares which were controlled by Rowland's neighbour, which were in fact disbarred by the courts just prior to the Mercer bid closing date. Thus Mercer never even officially reached a commitment 50% of the total shareholding.

Throughout, Mercer was backed by the Bank of Scotland, not Tom Farmer, who became involved at the request of 'Hands of Hibs'/the late Kenny McLean.

There's no guarantee of anything, but Mr Mercers vision of a one club capital city, was a good one imo.

Given time - probably about a generation - the whole city would've got behind it and who knows what we could've achieved, of course, even if it didn't work, closing down these sleekit reptiles would've been victory enough for me.

I wouldn't have. A merged team wouldn't have been my team.

I do agree that the OF need to be challenged more seriously but I'd rather bank on Hearts in their own right.

We've been close three times in my time - one day, it will happen.

And when it does, I'll be proud to say that Hearts did it under their own steam.

PresidentRomanov

I do agree that the OF need to be challenged more seriously but I'd rather bank on Hearts in their own right.

We've been close three times in my time - one day, it will happen.

And when it does, I'll be proud to say that Hearts did it under their own steam.

That's actually a good point, but I'd still like to see the Hibs closed down :smiley2:

That's actually a good point, but I'd still like to see the Hibs closed down :smiley2:

And so, after all that blustering on everyones behalf, we get to the route of the argument.

Some folk hate Hibs, others love stuffing them. All Hearts men at the end of it.

PresidentRomanov
And so, after all that blustering on everyones behalf, we get to the route of the argument.

Some folk hate Hibs, others love stuffing them. All Hearts men at the end of it.

It all comes down to how things would've developed, closing Hibs down and leaving Hearts with the city to themselves is a lovely thought, a merger on the other hand, not so good.

We'll never know now anyway, still wish it had happened to find out though :smiley2:

a wee change

We all love stuffing Hibs, some hate Hibs as well. All Hearts men at the end of it. :2thumbsup:

It wouldn't have been a merged team, we would have had first dibs on their players, taken the two we allegedly wanted and binned the rest.:10900:

closing Hibs down and leaving Hearts with the city to themselves is a lovely thought,

A beautiful thought imo. :2thumbsup:

No, i mean your version of the facts.

Facts being what they are, can't really have different versions.

The Colonel
A beautiful thought imo. :2thumbsup:

It is, selling everything that pityful club owned and keeping the dosh to ourselfes would have been awesome.

Apologies if others have answered this, but WM's intention was for Hearts to takeover Hibs and wind them up. the resulting team would have been Hearts and would have played in maroon.

If you don't believe me, then why did the merger not happen? WM had the agreement of around 73% of the Hibs shareholders, but couldn't get the last 2% he needed. Merger = 50% plus 1 share; wind up = 75% plus 1 share.

Archived