Wallace Mercer/Vladimir Romanov.

Jake LaMotta

Jake LaMotta

We've been fortunate to have these two great men as owners of our wonderful football club in the recent past.

Both eccentric, both colourful, both saviours of Heart of Midlothian football club.

I hate to think where we would be now were it not for Mr Mercer and Mr Romanov.

Valid point but both did/have made serious errors in judgement in their time.

This thread could get spicy though:10900:

Guest jambomickey

wallace mercer appointed people and let them get on with there job without interference, wallace mercer didn't give us people like maloffev and rix, walace mercer didn't run the club like a circus and wallace mercer didn't hide when the going got tough.

We shouldn't forget that Sir Wallace also saved the hibs from extinction. His attempted takeover forced the hibs support to galvanise and take a real stock of their finances and the level of mismanagement and incompetence of their board. There should be a statue of Mr Mercer built outside easter road stadium to remind all future generations of hibs fan what the great man did for them.

chester copperpot
wallace mercer appointed people and let them get on with there job without interference, wallace mercer didn't give us people like maloffev and rix, walace mercer didn't run the club like a circus and wallace mercer didn't hide when the going got tough.

Probably the best post I've ever seen you do. And its factually correct too.

Nice one mate.

We shouldn't forget that Sir Wallace also saved the hibs from extinction. His attempted takeover forced the hibs support to galvanise and take a real stock of their finances and the level of mismanagement and incompetence of their board. There should be a statue of Mr Mercer built outside easter road stadium to remind all future generations of hibs fan what the great man did for them.

I agree, if I wasn't such a lazy bar steward I'd start an online petition to try and rectify the situation :2thumbsup:

Guest jambomickey
Probably the best post I've ever seen you do. And its factually correct too.

Nice one mate.

always post facts or my genuine opinion andy!

If Romanov doesn't know how big this club could be given it's potential, he should be made to watch J Morley's "Neil Pointon 98 Cup Final" videos! He's got himself involved with a top club in Scotland, let it fulfill it's potential and become bigger and better! If not, sell up and walk away!

Nucky Thompson
Mercer bought a building from HMFC for ?50k and sold it back to us for ?250k a year later:rifle: Those people who now think Mercer was a saint have short memories.

Yes, I'm glad Mr Mercer didn't interfere his way to a Scottish Cup win and entry to Europe's top tournament. :nah:

Jake LaMotta
And its factually correct too.

It's not.

If you think Mr Mercer didn't 'interfere' you're off your rocker. Perhaps not to the extent of 'picking' the team, if that was in fact what jambomickey was insinuating. Take a look at Back from the Brink and then come back and tell me Mr Mercer didn't 'interfere'.

Buffalo Bill

Didn't Wallace move to and stay in France while still in charge of Hearts during some rough times, circa 1993?

Buffalo Bill

Guest jambomickey
Mercer bought a building from HMFC for ?50k and sold it back to us for ?250k a year later:rifle: Those people who now think Mercer was a saint have short memories.

mercer left hearts in a healthy state boo, robinson left new stands and a training academy! if romanov left tommorow he'd leave a huge debt and many broken promises.

Guest jambomickey
Yes, I'm glad Mr Mercer didn't interfere his way to a Scottish Cup win and entry to Europe's top tournament. :nah:

with mercer we'd never have got the likes of maloffev or rix that's for sure or some of the duds we've seen in the famous hearts strip.

Didn't Wallace move to and stay in France while still in charge of Hearts during some rough times, circa 1993?

Buffalo Bill

Indeed he did.

mercer left hearts in a healthy state boo, robinson left new stands and a training academy! if romanov left tommorow he'd leave a huge debt and many broken promises.

Robinson was a bawhair away from making us homeless.

Jake LaMotta
if romanov left tommorow he'd leave a huge debt and many broken promises.

And Tynecastle.

I'll take a guess and suggest that wasn't your 2nd best ever post.

winston churchill

Buffalo Bill

yip,

he also kept a gaff down in north berwick at the same time.

We've been fortunate to have these two great men as owners of our wonderful football club in the recent past.

Both eccentric, both colourful, both saviours of Heart of Midlothian football club.

Strangely enough I agree:th_o:

chester copperpot
It's not.

If you think Mr Mercer didn't 'interfere' you're off your rocker. Perhaps not to the extent of 'picking' the team, if that was in fact what jambomickey was insinuating. Take a look at Back from the Brink and then come back and tell me Mr Mercer didn't 'interfere'.

I was very young towards Mercer's tenure, so I may be wrong.

Guest jambomickey
And Tynecastle.

I'll take a guess and suggest that wasn't your 2nd best ever post.

i've said many times saving tynecastle is the only thing that has saved his skin as far as the hearts support turning on him after all the madness he put us through.

Jake LaMotta
Strangely enough I agree:th_o:

Stop supporting Hibs fans in diddy sports and we could almost be friends.

:2thumbsup:

Football fans are so fickle.

Some of the posts on a thread like this are cringeworthy.

Both men had their good points. VR saved us from an ultimate death blow. For that I will always be grateful. It's a real shame that he made the mistakes he did after that.

At the moment he seems to be doing ok.

I'll save my moaning unless things change.

i don't think it's 'the done thing' to bring pertinent pieces of information like that into the argument.... not when it's widely accepted that vlad invented dodgy/questionable dealings.

on that note... i'm not going to mention the john brown transfer from dundee fiasco. the one where mercer attempted to pull the wool over the fans' eyes by appearing to want to sign john brown but shoved a spanner in the works in order to make sure it didn't happen. vlad seemingly invented that too... farkas.

oops... just did.

Guest jambomickey
Robinson was a bawhair away from making us homeless.

indeed he did and that's why we drove him out. if he had left after we won the cup he'd have gone a legend, he couldn't take us any further and made a pigs ear of it in the end.

Guest jambomickey
i don't think it's 'the done thing' to bring pertinent pieces of information like that into the argument.... not when it's widely accepted that vlad invented dodgy/questionable dealings.

on that note... i'm not going to mention the john brown transfer from dundee fiasco. the one where mercer attempted to pull the wool over the fans' eyes by appearing to want to sign john brown but shoved a spanner in the works in order to make sure it didn't happen. vlad seemingly invented that too... farkas.

oops... just did.

how many chairmen, chief executives or players came out and said mercer run the club like a circus? foulkes, anderton, burley, rix, skacel, webster, pressley johnson or mc,allister would have some funny stories to tell as will rix in his book.

In what way was Mr Mercer eccentric?

i don't think it's 'the done thing' to bring pertinent pieces of information like that into the argument.... not when it's widely accepted that vlad invented dodgy/questionable dealings...

What building did he sell back to HMFC for ?250K a year later after buying it from the club?

Mercer bought a building from HMFC for ?50k and sold it back to us for ?250k a year later

Was it Robinson who told you this? The same Robinson that stated this at an AGM around 2004 before getting the fright of his life as Wallace jumped from his seat to put across the point that this building for offered back to Hearts at exactly the same price he paid for it plus inflation. Under no circumstances were these false reports true. Pieman sat there with no response except byputting his bright red "agm coupon" on and squirming badly! Like he was 10 minutes later when James Clydesdale pulled his "anti-Tynecastle" plans to shreds.

how many chairmen, chief executives or players came out and said mercer run the club like a circus? foulkes, anderton, burley, rix, skacel, webster, pressley johnson or mc,allister would have some funny stories to tell as will rix in his book.

i don't know and i don't care.

i'm just sticking in my tuppence worth about mercer.

apologies for having an alternative opinion to the insanely boring we-hate-vlad-gang.

shaun.lawson

I'd question that, Mickey. Wallace saved this club and gave it its pride and sense of purpose back - but hitting the post so often didn't just gradually exhaust Alex MacDonald. It seemed to effect Waldo's drive and sense of what could be achieved too.

By 1990, he already appreciated that we couldn't hope to live with a transformed, commercially powerful Rangers: hence his behaviour that summer. Financially, he was absolutely right in what he wanted to do; emotionally, he was anything but, and I never felt he was quite the same man afterwards. We did well for a time under Joe Jordan - but he never won over the fans the way Doddie did, and owner and manager fell out over Scott Crabbe's sale. Jordan thought he'd be getting all the proceeds to put towards new signings; but this wasn't forthcoming.

By the final couple of years of Mercer's stewardship, Hearts were really struggling. He was exiled in France, our debts were mounting, and we'd started flirting with relegation again. Thankfully, he got out early enough for his reputation and legacy to be preserved, and more latterly, resurrected; but he was very, very unpopular by the time he left, and believe it or not, Robinson and Deans were largely regarded as our saviours when they bought him out.

Nucky Thompson
Was it Robinson who told you this? The same Robinson that stated this at an AGM around 2004 before getting the fright of his life as Wallace jumped from his seat to put across the point that this building for offered back to Hearts at exactly the same price he paid for it plus inflation. Under no circumstances were these false reports true. Pieman sat there with no response except byputting his bright red "agm coupon" on and squirming badly! Like he was 10 minutes later when James Clydesdale pulled his "anti-Tynecastle" plans to shreds.
I heard it long before 2004 and it was common knowledge at the time. I couldn't say who started the rumour.

has anyone left Hearts in a healthy state ?

Mercer was the major shareholder and chairman at the time he did his little bit of hide and seek in the south of France.

I heard it long before 2004 and it was common knowledge at the time. I couldn't say who started the rumour.

What building?

Guest jambomickey
i don't know and i don't care.

i'm just sticking in my tuppence worth about mercer.

apologies for having an alternative opinion to the insanely boring we-hate-vlad-gang.

fact of the matter is plenty people who have worked behind the scenes would be able to tell the madness that this regime has brought to heart of midlothian football club! no other regime has treated it's employees or the name of the club with such disrespect ever, that's a fact.

Independence
If Romanov doesn't know how big this club could be given it's potential, he should be made to watch J Morley's "Neil Pointon 98 Cup Final" videos! He's got himself involved with a top club in Scotland, let it fulfill it's potential and become bigger and better! If not, sell up and walk away!

I think he does know or else he would have walked away!

He is a multi millionairre who does not loose. Yes he has made many, many mistakes but he has also provided us with plenty of entertainment and silverware!

Gigolo-Aunt
fact of the matter is plenty people who have worked behind the scenes would be able to tell the madness that this regime has brought to heart of midlothian football club! no other regime has treated it's employees or the name of the club with such disrespect ever, that's a fact.

Mickey, just let it go man.

Its gone.

What building?

What was the Old Mcleod Street Police Station immediatly at the back of the Old Stand.

good. you grab the pitchforks and i'll start a fire.

Independence

I know many employees that have been very happy with the regime!

shaun.lawson

Really? I suspect Jim Cruickshank would beg to differ. And the board in charge back then almost killed this club: they would've done if it hadn't been for Mercer.

Wallace RIP..he was no saintly chairman though..he made mistakes and had an eye to the main chance as most businessmen do. I was at a mates cremation today and as much as hundreds of people turned up to have a good greet about it..his eulogy was spot on..great person with strong opinions on everything and could be very grumpy if he didnt feel like being happy! The point there..I dont think we should remember Wallace with marroon tainted specs just as he is no longer with us!

I see Vlad very much in the same way as I did Mercer..a bit of an eccentric character who makes mistakes but ultimately has more of the greater good about HMFC than the fat man inbetween. I really hope I'm not proven wrong there but that's my opinion.

scots civil war

mercer released a record,and with me and m8ys on the front cover i will be eternally grateful for that.as for romanov,he was a major factor in making me relocate.....so the two of em have been a major factor in my life

mercer had charisma and we loved him back in the day.romanov aint got that.

romanov is a bad bwoy

however. romanov can redeem himself,after all his mischief,in backing csaba imo

Guest jambomickey
Really? I suspect Jim Cruickshank would beg to differ. And the board in charge back then almost killed this club: they would've done if it hadn't been for Mercer.

shaun you're talking about one man! that happens in football, this regime has done it time after time after time.

What was the Old Mcleod Street Police Station immediatly at the back of the Old Stand.

Is that the same building as the old ticket office?

shaun.lawson
In what way was Mr Mercer eccentric?

Of course Wallace was eccentric! Many journalists would testify to that: Mercer would call a press conference, and it was like the ego had landed. It was all very endearing: he was a real character, just as in his better moments, Romanov is too.

Archived