which areas of edinburgh are hearts/hibs

fletch92

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Cabin hearts was not tim friendly

Malckys pub chased hibs cqsuals down the bridges before they got fat and Baldwin 

Post of the day. :)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Saughton is Hearts, that's it. B.U.S.Y. B.E.E you ain't seen nothin like the Busy Bee. FTH/...Bus convener for many a year I was, fozzy where are you?

The Busy still brings a tear to my eye. Loved the place. I played for them in the Sunday pub league along with some great characters. Sadly missed.  Great place to grow up and 100% maroon! 

I've just read through this thread again and I cannot Xmas eve that Morningside is Hibs.  I'm no snob about postcodes.  I know you get good and not so good people everywhere.  I'm not from Morningside and have never lived there but I assume the average IQ is high and that would count Hibs out completely.

Bruntsfield is solid Hearts and I'd be amazed if Nitten wasn't either.  Certainly was when my dad played for them in the 1930s.

On the idea that Hibs are more working class and Hearts more Middle Class, or something along those lines, I've never thought that to be the case. It's more like one of these things Hibs fans want to believe because it suits some romanticised vision of themselves, when the truth is just that Hibs maybe have more jakey looking junkies in their support.

It should have been ten
36 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I've just read through this thread again and I cannot Xmas eve that Morningside is Hibs.  I'm no snob about postcodes.  I know you get good and not so good people everywhere.  I'm not from Morningside and have never lived there but I assume the average IQ is high and that would count Hibs out completely.

:spoton:

1 hour ago, LesJambes said:

On the idea that Hibs are more working class and Hearts more Middle Class, or something along those lines, I've never thought that to be the case. It's more like one of these things Hibs fans want to believe because it suits some romanticised vision of themselves, when the truth is just that Hibs maybe have more jakey looking junkies in their support.

One of those "jakey looking junkies" offered to wash the windscreen of my Volvo this morning, I'll have you know. Stopped at a traffic light and the toothless oik nearly ruined my new maroon cardigan.

The wife and offspring were frightfully upset, but saw the blighter off with their hockey sticks.

;)

I work for a taxi company in the north of Edinburgh and must say whenever I say to customers “I take it your a hibs fan?” I have been surprised with the amount of “Am I ****!” Reactions that I have had.

TyphoonJambo
On 28/04/2016 at 15:20, Tazio said:

Based on the scientific method of drunks on the way home from the pub singing in the street Davidson's Mains is Hearts.

Unfortunately I can confirm that it’s a fairly even split in the Norhet though. Mind you, in my year at Craigroyston there was only one known hobo, a wee ginger knob called Strachan.

andyscott82
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Penicuik is Jambo Central....!!???

As it has been for the last 36 years that I know of. One of the few things I miss about the place. 

Haven't sussed Musselburgh out yet, I do see a disturbing amount of hibs tops kicking about here but quite a few Hearts fans too. 

TorinoJambo
58 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

As it has been for the last 36 years that I know of. One of the few things I miss about the place. 

Haven't sussed Musselburgh out yet, I do see a disturbing amount of hibs tops kicking about here but quite a few Hearts fans too. 

It has been for all of my 63 years. Supporters club founded in 1949.

oilrig jambo
8 hours ago, barcajambo said:

I work for a taxi company in the north of Edinburgh and must say whenever I say to customers “I take it your a hibs fan?” I have been surprised with the amount of “Am I ****!” Reactions that I have had.

I'm 74 and  and have been a hearts fan since I was 8 and born and lived in North Edinburgh my whole life and went to Norton park school (back of the Hibs stand) and there were loads of hearts fans attended I can assure you that a lot of leithers are jambos although in the minority we tend to be more bitter as we have to live with them you see quite a lot of Celtic tops around Leith as well

13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Bruntsfield is solid Hearts and I'd be amazed if Nitten wasn't either.  Certainly was when my dad played for them in the 1930s.

I'm sure Nitten is Hearts whereas down the road in Dalkeith is Hibs. I lived in West Pilton which is traditionally Hibs but there were a good few Hearts lads there and the Dookit was a Hearts pub even though a little mental. I have noticed pockets of supporters of other teams in and around Edinburgh. Unlike the Weeg you can walk through parts of the city with your scarf on without risk of getting  stabbed.

37 minutes ago, oilrig jambo said:

I'm 74 and  and have been a hearts fan since I was 8 and born and lived in North Edinburgh my whole life and went to Norton park school (back of the Hibs stand) and there were loads of hearts fans attended I can assure you that a lot of leithers are jambos although in the minority we tend to be more bitter as we have to live with them you see quite a lot of Celtic tops around Leith as well

My Dad was a born and bred Leither and he's a life long Tynie ST holder.  

13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

We’ve stayed in three houses in Morningside over the years. When we were first married Morningside was mostly Hearts but latterly, before we moved abroad and on our many return trips home, Morningside in my opinion is now more Hibs than Hearts. One of our best friends in Morningside is staunch Hibs but we still speak to him..

Enzo Chiefo
27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We’ve stayed in three houses in Morningside over the years. When we were first married Morningside was mostly Hearts but latterly, before we moved abroad and on our many return trips home, Morningside in my opinion is now more Hibs than Hearts. One of our best friends in Morningside is staunch Hibs but we still speak to him..

Was there not a Morningside Hearts supporters club back in the late 70s/80s? 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Was there not a Morningside Hearts supporters club back in the late 70s/80s? 

There was. Near Falcon Road I think.

In Leith, I remember it being pretty even.  Maybe 40/40 with 20% bigot fans.  It probably has to do with Leith being an affordable place to buy in the 80s or something.  At least, almost all the Hearts fans parents aren't from Leith.

Always got the impression there are less Hibs fans in the west of the city than vice-versa.  But it's probably more even than I think.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'm sure Nitten is Hearts whereas down the road in Dalkeith is Hibs. I lived in West Pilton which is traditionally Hibs but there were a good few Hearts lads there and the Dookit was a Hearts pub even though a little mental. I have noticed pockets of supporters of other teams in and around Edinburgh. Unlike the Weeg you can walk through parts of the city with your scarf on without risk of getting  stabbed.

Lived in dalkeith almost all my life, first time I've heard of it being hibs.

I can think of 4 hearts buses that have picked up, or started here, over the years. Mayfield and Gorebridge, Prestonpans, danderhall and dalkeith hearts. To my knowledge, only 1 hibs bus. 

Plenty weegie fans, mind. 

Fxxx the SPFL
12 hours ago, barcajambo said:

Usually the opposite with Taxi drivers we get chatting about football and the majority seem to be hobos your good self excepted i hope youv'e never picked me and the wife up down the shore when wev'e had too much drink always give a decent tip though.

Fxxx the SPFL
38 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I can think of 4 hearts buses that have picked up, or started here, over the years. Mayfield and Gorebridge, Prestonpans, danderhall and dalkeith hearts. To my knowledge, only 1 hibs bus. 

When we ran the Borders Hearts bus we picked up folk at Gorebridge Toll for a couple of years.

53 minutes ago, WageThief said:

In Leith, I remember it being pretty even.  Maybe 40/40 with 20% bigot fans.  It probably has to do with Leith being an affordable place to buy in the 80s or something.  At least, almost all the Hearts fans parents aren't from Leith.

Always got the impression there are less Hibs fans in the west of the city than vice-versa.  But it's probably more even than I think.

Pretty much my whole family are Hearts, all from Leith/Granton/Newhaven. My old man was a born and bred Leather but sadly was Hibs. Starting secondary school on Leith in the late 70's wasn't much fun for Hearts fans.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Fair enough I've been away too long. My Edinburgh knowledge has eroded away.

In my job I deal with many customers and on hearing my Scots  accent ask if I'm from the blue or green half of Scotland. I love the reaction when I tell them I'm from the Maroon. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
39 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Fair enough I've been away too long. My Edinburgh knowledge has eroded away.

:thumb:

No worries, don't want hibs getting any undue credit. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

When we ran the Borders Hearts bus we picked up folk at Gorebridge Toll for a couple of years.

Forgot about that one. 

I genuinely believe that Longstone is the biggest Hearts area in the world, even more so than Gorgie. Few hibees scuttling around but I would say easily 90/95 % Hearts. 

Nitten Jambo

Nitten is Hearts.  Always has been. Dave Mckay, Walter Kidd and loads of other Hearts players played for Nitten Star.The Danderhall Hearts bus picked up in Nitten. Hibs fans thin on the ground. Never been a Hibs bus pick up in Nitten .

HMFC OK ...

9 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

Indeed it has Munch my man. Very few of the inbreds loitering about ?

7 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I live in the middle of them in the Dalkeith area where there is a larger concentration of them, it’s great when they all ask my  pet dog’s name, or hear me shouting on him.  Rudi ??

19 hours ago, martoon said:

One of those "jakey looking junkies" offered to wash the windscreen of my Volvo this morning, I'll have you know. Stopped at a traffic light and the toothless oik nearly ruined my new maroon cardigan.

The wife and offspring were frightfully upset, but saw the blighter off with their hockey sticks.

;)

Jolly good, give those blighters a ruddy good spanking I say! :D

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, YHD Jambo said:

I live in the middle of them in the Dalkeith area where there is a larger concentration of them, it’s great when they all ask my  pet dog’s name, or hear me shouting on him.  Rudi ??

:thumbsup:

:fth:

Anything west of the bridges Hearts I would say ..then most of Midlothian with Penicuik a jambo hotbed!

1 minute ago, Bez said:

Public toilets in Prince’s Street Gardens are Hibs.

The Hibs had two toilets on Princes Street. The ones down the stairs opposite South Charlotte Street and their ‘gang hut’, on the corner beside General Register House. Downstairs again of course...

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

The Hibs had two toilets on Princes Street. The ones down the stairs opposite South Charlotte Street and their ‘gang hut’, on the corner beside General Register House. Downstairs again of course...

:rofl::rofl:I always wondered what the smell was

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

That wee corner of the cemetery in the West End of the Gardens where the tower for spotting grave robbers is = Hibs

Pants Shaton
On 09/04/2018 at 02:41, barcajambo said:

Presumably you dont like getting tips.

In answer to the question posed on this thread - I doubt there are any areas in Lothian where vermin fans outnumber PHM.

HeartsInMyBlood
On 10/05/2009 at 20:57, moonraker said:

Must have changed since my day, we were def in the minority back then. Made it even worse that they were half decent.

Snap.

19 hours ago, Morgan said:

Why?

I used to live oppositet the clerrie Inn pub & it's predominantly hibs.whenever I'd see hibs fans coming bk from Hampden as losers I would hang my hearts scarf out the window just to wind them up.

There are hearts fans up there but mainly hobos.

11 hours ago, LesJambes said:

:rofl::rofl:I always wondered what the smell was

And now you know! The gang hut one was particularly smelly due to its close proximity to Calton Hill and it’s Friday night ‘visitors’...

4 hours ago, Bez said:

That wee corner of the cemetery in the West End of the Gardens where the tower for spotting grave robbers is = Hibs

Yep, Hibs summed up right there.

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Why?

Because he’s actually a really nice person despite his obvious depravity. :wink:

Glamorgan Jambo
44 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

I used to live oppositet the clerrie Inn pub & it's predominantly hibs.whenever I'd see hibs fans coming bk from Hampden as losers I would hang my hearts scarf out the window just to wind them up.

There are hearts fans up there but mainly hobos.

Clerry was certainly very Hibs in the 70s/80s when I was growing up. Sure it's discussed a few pages back but the general idea was that the Clerry estate built just after WW2 was overspill for Leith and the then Stockbridge overcrowded and soon to be demolished tenements. Curious if it still is that way.

36 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Clerry was certainly very Hibs in the 70s/80s when I was growing up. Sure it's discussed a few pages back but the general idea was that the Clerry estate built just after WW2 was overspill for Leith and the then Stockbridge overcrowded and soon to be demolished tenements. Curious if it still is that way.

I left that side of clerrie 2yrs ago..now over at parkgrove.clerrie is mainly Hibs sadly.

Clerry Jambo
1 minute ago, rubyruby said:

I left that side of clerrie 2yrs ago..now over at parkgrove.clerrie is mainly Hibs sadly.

:waiting:

Archived