Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

That's shite about Vogrie. I played that a lot when I was wee and loved it. Would sometimes chance it and do those three holes that loop round back to the same spot twice if there was no one coming up. Was it a par 3 to finish? I'm trying to remember the holes.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, kila said:

That's shite about Vogrie. I played that a lot when I was wee and loved it. Would sometimes chance it and do those three holes that loop round back to the same spot twice if there was no one coming up. Was it a par 3 to finish? I'm trying to remember the holes.

For as long as i played there the loop was the 7th 8th and 9th.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

The man on attendance (Scaffolder) Played St Andrews on Thursday with that fine weather.

Jealous as f... 

Which course? There are seven ran by the Links Trust and a few others in the area too. 

On 17/09/2020 at 10:17, jambo89 said:

Does any one know of any 'pitch and putt' (Par 3 golf course)?

My mates laddie just got a set of golf clubs and thought it would be good to take the wee man on a day out. 

It seems like there were loads about when i was growing up but can't find any nowadays. 

There was is one at the sports centre in Bathgate,a bit closer to you.

53 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Which course? There are seven ran by the Links Trust and a few others in the area too. 

Old I think. 

Samuel Camazzola
36 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Old I think. 

Lucky guy indeed. Still awaiting my opportunity to play it but looking like next year now. 

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Take the good with the bad.

I honestly can't complain as I've been very good May to August but the last 3 or 4 weeks have been terrible, constant .1's.

Break needed now I think.

Take the good with the bad.

I honestly can't complain as I've been very good May to August but the last 3 or 4 weeks have been terrible, constant .1's.

The Mighty Thor
20 hours ago, kila said:

Wolff's trigger is quite bizarre!

You watch his routine and swing then De Chambeau then you think what's the point of lessons 😂  

18 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye can help.

Went to the range today after work and was baffled at what i was seeing. I haven't been to the range for a while put been playing a lot instead. GW, PW & 9i have all started going much further. I was hitting my 9i 170 yards, had to double check it was definitely the 9, usually my max with a 9 was about 140. No idea how there was so much of a gain as from 8i - 5i was exactly what i would expect.

Samuel Camazzola
43 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Went to the range today after work and was baffled at what i was seeing. I haven't been to the range for a while put been playing a lot instead. GW, PW & 9i have all started going much further. I was hitting my 9i 170 yards, had to double check it was definitely the 9, usually my max with a 9 was about 140. No idea how there was so much of a gain as from 8i - 5i was exactly what i would expect.

Are you sure the 9 wasn't upside down? 🙃 😄

Or have you been on a Bryson programme this summer? 

31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are you sure the 9 wasn't upside down? 🙃 😄

Or have you been on a Bryson programme this summer? 

Well i do use one length irons just like him 😂

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Well i do use one length irons just like him 😂

It certainly is a big carry for a 9i. I hit a fairly long ball but would say my standard 9i is 140/145. A strong 9 would be 150ish.

21 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It certainly is a big carry for a 9i. I hit a fairly long ball but would say my standard 9i is 140/145. A strong 9 would be 150ish.

Yeah 140 is what i would expect with a clean strike. Maybe there was a stong wind behind it at the time 😂.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Mr 3 Putt said:

Yeah 140 is what i would expect with a clean strike. Maybe there was a stong wind behind it at the time 😂.

The golfing authorities will be looking to reign in that kind of bombing! 😂 

2 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

So you are now hitting your 9 iron the same distance as your 7 and further than your 8.

Gonna make club selection fun😂

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

So you are now hitting your 9 iron the same distance as your 7 and further than your 8.

Gonna make club selection fun😂

Yip 😂 it's a strange one, genuinely has left me puzzled.

50 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Yip 😂 it's a strange one, genuinely has left me puzzled.

You will probably get a call from Bryson D for some advice, he only hits his 9 iron - 165 yds 😂

15 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

I was hitting my 9i 170 yards, had to double check it was definitely the 9, usually my max with a 9 was about 140. No idea how there was so much of a gain as from 8i - 5i was exactly what i would expect.

:rofl: 

Did anyone watch the golf from Payne's Valley last night?

wow what a golf course, designed by Tiger but an amazing setting.

The 19th hole is spectacular

image.jpeg.f5fd4250ff7b1951e174eddc5451a232.jpeg

Edited by merrymac

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Did anyone watch the golf from Payne's Valley last night?

wow what a golf course, designed by Tiger but an amazing setting.

The 19th hole is spectacular

image.jpeg.f5fd4250ff7b1951e174eddc5451a232.jpeg

I did. Looked tremendous. A couple of the fairways were the widest I'd ever seen. No expense spared with the 19th and the clip showing how it was constructed was impressive. The tee looked like it had just been laid and wasn't quite ready to be played on. I'm sure I've been in rough which is shorter! 😂 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I did. Looked tremendous. A couple of the fairways were the widest I'd ever seen. No expense spared with the 19th and the clip showing how it was constructed was impressive. The tee looked like it had just been laid and wasn't quite ready to be played on. I'm sure I've been in rough which is shorter! 😂 

Tiger building a course to suit his driving:whistling:

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, merrymac said:

Tiger building a course to suit his driving:whistling:

The longest drive comp on 18 was a no contest. Thomas hit a cracking strike but it looked to be him at his limit. Rory breezed it past him with some to spare. 

Rose didn't need to bother and just hit his usual elegant strike up the middle. 

I like the idea of 19th holes being added for the novelty factor. I played La Finca in Spain years ago and it had a 19th being finalised. 

Rose needs to get his putting sorted big time. Still hitting it nicely but struggling to do anything on the greens.

Don't like that putter he is using, looks like a branding iron:rofl:

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Rose needs to get his putting sorted big time. Still hitting it nicely but struggling to do anything on the greens.

Don't like that putter he is using, looks like a branding iron:rofl:

Rory seems to be burning the edges with everything. He looked to convert more before he used the Spider. 

Is Rose using a TM putter too? 

Rory seems to be burning the edges with everything. He looked to convert more before he used the Spider. 

Is Rose using a TM putter too? 

Axis 1 -£449 !!!

image.jpeg.87680e718dcc7a9e97943398dd8c35bd.jpeg

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Axis 1 -£449 !!!

image.jpeg.87680e718dcc7a9e97943398dd8c35bd.jpeg

After breaking from his Honma deal, I thought he was committing to playing with the clubs he wanted to play and not based on a lucrative offer. Will see how long he sticks with this before returning to an old trusted. 

After breaking from his Honma deal, I thought he was committing to playing with the clubs he wanted to play and not based on a lucrative offer. Will see how long he sticks with this before returning to an old trusted. 

Soon  I hope

32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What a price for a putter, 

On 23/09/2020 at 12:13, merrymac said:

Aye one that disnae work for him not a great advert 😂

Used this Howson for years, mother in law won it in a raffle.

P1010008.JPG

22 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Used this Howson for years, mother in law won it in a raffle.

P1010008.JPG

Brilliant - not heard of them for many years.

Just looks like a Ping anyway.

I just switched to a Cleveland longer length putter, the extra weight really helps me to keep my stroke smooth, and my putting certainly better than it has been.

8 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Brilliant - not heard of them for many years.

Just looks like a Ping anyway.

I just switched to a Cleveland longer length putter, the extra weight really helps me to keep my stroke smooth, and my putting certainly better than it has been.

👍

16 minutes ago, sinks said:

Chipping went to s$$t... chunking,thinning no idea what to use or how to hit them anymore...HELP

If i have a clear green ahead, like no bunkers i adopt the 7 iron pitch and run instead of the pitching wedge.

1 hour ago, sinks said:

Chipping went to s$$t... chunking,thinning no idea what to use or how to hit them anymore...HELP

I had good results with this yesterday, I'm usually brutal for thinning chips. 

If i have a clear green ahead, like no bunkers i adopt the 7 iron pitch and run instead of the pitching wedge.

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I had good results with this yesterday, I'm usually brutal for thinning chips. 

Thanks guys,I'll give them a bash tomorrow

Nice wee 2nd prize at Muckhart seniors on Thursday. £125 voucher.

More importantly, 0.7 cut, back to 12

Open at Saturday at Harburn.

Pars at 17 & 18 would have given me another 0.8 cut.

Double bogeyed both:sob:

Demoralised.