Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

On 27/09/2020 at 07:49, sinks said:

Chipping went to s$$t... chunking,thinning no idea what to use or how to hit them anymore...HELP

Stand square and slightly narrow.  Ball centrally between the feet.   Weight very slightly on the left foot.   Grip down 1 to 2 inches.   Optional 'swing trigger' of a slight forward press before starting the backswing.   Keep the clubhead speed up through the hit.   Same pace back and through.   Take 4 or 5 practice swings before each chip.    

Edited by Victorian

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
49 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Nice wee 2nd prize at Muckhart seniors on Thursday. £125 voucher.

More importantly, 0.7 cut, back to 12

Open at Saturday at Harburn.

Pars at 17 & 18 would have given me another 0.8 cut.

Double bogeyed both:sob:

Demoralised.

Good work. A couple of fellow members at mine took part but weren't as successful as you. What loops of the three nines were used? 

I achieved a 0.6 cut yesterday. Should have been more but a scrappy three hole period on the back 9 and several missed birdies halted that. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good work. A couple of fellow members at mine took part but weren't as successful as you. What loops of the three nines were used? 

I achieved a 0.6 cut yesterday. Should have been more but a scrappy three hole period on the back 9 and several missed birdies halted that. 

Naemoor & Cowden

Second time I've played Muckhart and my 2nd prize, got £50 a couple of years back (5th) in Gents Open.

Thought i had guffed. had a DB at 11 then a triple at 14. Birdied 15 & 18, missed an easier one at 17.

Played so steady at Harburn with a collapse at the death. It's going to haunt me.:sad:

Went to Airdrie on Sunday, although hit the ball well, I had putting debacle on the back 9. :lol:

Closing weekend this week Niddry Castle open & 9-holer at Pumphy on saturday, medal on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Stand square and slightly narrow.  Ball centrally between the feet.   Weight very slightly on the left foot.   Grip down 1 to 2 inches.   Optional 'swing trigger' of a slight forward press before starting the backswing.   Keep the clubhead speed up through the hit.   Same pace back and through.   Take 4 or 5 practice swings before each chip.    

Thanks,tbh the problem is I cant stop quitting on the follow through for some reason...never had the problem before,only started in the last couple of weeks

Just now, sinks said:

Thanks,tbh the problem is I cant stop quitting on the follow through for some reason...never had the problem before,only started in the last couple of weeks

Might be you're really holding off the face through the downswing and causing you to decelerate.    Practice swings prior to shot to remind you to have a one paced back and through.   No pause between backswing and downswing.    Commitment to shot so that you're not scared to release the clubhead through the hit.

Samuel Camazzola
On 27/09/2020 at 07:49, sinks said:

Chipping went to s$$t... chunking,thinning no idea what to use or how to hit them anymore...HELP

Learn from the best 👍 🏌️ 

Stance slightly to the left (if you play right handed) seems to help a lot of people. 

Sandy Lyle also has a chipping clinic on Sky which provides sine useful techniques. It involves disconnected the hands which takes any wrist action out of the shot. It should be available on demand as it has been broadcast a couple of times recently. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You playing for Balbirnie in the winter league @Samuel Camazzola 👀

Probably unlikely. My clubs usually hibernate in the winter. They only occasionally come out for a game on a links course where mats, winter greens and mud balls are avoided. 😄

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Probably unlikely. My clubs usually hibernate in the winter. They only occasionally come out for a game on a links course where mats, winter greens and mud balls are avoided. 😄

Ah pity, we play both Balbirnie teams!

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Ah pity, we play both Balbirnie teams!

I see. Have dates been scheduled? I'll need to see who's in the teams. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

I see. Have dates been scheduled? I'll need to see who's in the teams. 

18th Oct and 15th Nov we play them, both A and B teams are in our section.

This is my first year playing it, looking forward to it.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

18th Oct and 15th Nov we play them, both A and B teams are in our section.

This is my first year playing it, looking forward to it.

I'm on holiday on 18th. Where is the November fixture held? 

Who else is in the section? 

41 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

dont start the mats debate again, please :whistling:

22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm on holiday on 18th. Where is the November fixture held? 

Who else is in the section? 

Both Balbirnie games are at our place.

Burntisland, Dunfermline, Scoonie, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes A & B and Pitreavie.

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Both Balbirnie games are at our place.

Burntisland, Dunfermline, Scoonie, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes A & B and Pitreavie.

I think Scoonie and Pitreavie were in last year's group. I'm sure with the A team, players were asked and with B, you indicated if you were keen to play. 😄

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

dont start the mats debate again, please :whistling:

giphy.gif&ehk=2v0bo7B6w42yRLoxsS59P9FIym

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think Scoonie and Pitreavie were in last year's group. I'm sure with the A team, players were asked and with B, you indicated if you were keen to play. 😄

Ha! Not sure how we're doing it this year. We've always had the 1 team in but with a load of new members we've decided to go to 2.

Probably be good players in A and the dross in B :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Ha! Not sure how we're doing it this year. We've always had the 1 team in but with a load of new members we've decided to go to 2.

Probably be good players in A and the dross in B :lol:

I'd be kinder and label the B team as 'reliable' (to turn up) 😄 

Winter league.. I'm a 4 handicap and at Gullane, I can't even get near the team. I think I'm the 60th lowest handicapper in the club. It's crazy. 

Samuel Camazzola
48 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Winter league.. I'm a 4 handicap and at Gullane, I can't even get near the team. I think I'm the 60th lowest handicapper in the club. It's crazy. 

How low do the top players go? I assume there are a few + players?

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How low do the top players go? I assume there are a few + players?

Yes.. Quite a few.. 

I feel that my 4 out of Gullane is worth more at other courses though. Number 1 is brick hard and it's almost impossible to play a round without being in a big bunker or in some kind of trouble. I played at St. Andrews this year and was 3 under at the turn and it should have been -5. Found it so easy. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Yes.. Quite a few.. 

I feel that my 4 out of Gullane is worth more at other courses though. Number 1 is brick hard and it's almost impossible to play a round without being in a big bunker or in some kind of trouble. I played at St. Andrews this year and was 3 under at the turn and it should have been -5. Found it so easy. 

Have your three courses got their slope rating displayed on the cards now? You'd be able to gauge what your World Handicap would be based on scores across the three.

I've only ever played 2 & 3 and loved them. 3 is short but very enjoyable. I last played it over 5 years ago but there was talk of modifications to 16, 17 and 18. Did that ever happen? 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Have your three courses got their slope rating displayed on the cards now? You'd be able to gauge what your World Handicap would be based on scores across the three.

I've only ever played 2 & 3 and loved them. 3 is short but very enjoyable. I last played it over 5 years ago but there was talk of modifications to 16, 17 and 18. Did that ever happen? 

We got ours through last week.

I'm going up a shot 😆 

4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

We've a couple young guys off 0, both went on a scholarship to the USA but for whatever reasons didn't stick at it. Which is a pity.

Gullane and Lochgelly are different worlds though 🤣

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We got ours through last week.

I'm going up a shot 😆 

I assume it's just one or have you been rated a few based on the tee boxes in use? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I assume it's just one or have you been rated a few based on the tee boxes in use? 

120 is the white tees. Think we're 117 off yellows.

I'll be off 13 on the white course, 12 on the yellows.

I really like the new set up to be honest. Makes a lot of sense.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

120 is the white tees. Think we're 117 off yellows.

I'll be off 13 on the white course, 12 on the yellows.

I really like the new set up to be honest. Makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I was reading some of the extended guidance on it and it seems like NRs will effectively be a thing of the past. 

A few suspect handicaps will get exposed too 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah, I was reading some of the extended guidance on it and it seems like NRs will effectively be a thing of the past. 

A few suspect handicaps will get exposed too 

It's great from the point of view that you're adjusted based on the difficulty of the course. Head somewhere easy? You're losing shots. But go play Carnoustie and you'll likely gain a couple.

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's great from the point of view that you're adjusted based on the difficulty of the course. Head somewhere easy? You're losing shots. But go play Carnoustie and you'll likely gain a couple.

How was your Carnoustie round? Did you get a good day for it? 

Dumbarnie mk III for me this week. Still got a few Bunkered coupons to use to (although they have been extended due to closures). 

39 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How was your Carnoustie round? Did you get a good day for it? 

Dumbarnie mk III for me this week. Still got a few Bunkered coupons to use to (although they have been extended due to closures). 

Yeah it was a nice day, 20mph wind though so it was tough going at times.

We're looking at Dumbarnie again, it's going to £68 in October.

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah, for the last 4 weeks of their season. It's closing mid November. Conditions underfoot will be good. Roll of the dice for the rest! 😂 

Slope for No1 will be - 129 off the white medal tees and 124 off the yellow.  

No 2 is - 125 and 119

No 3 is - 114

I'm looking at my best 8 of the last 20.. I think I'll be a higher handicap golfer.. 0.1 increase for last 12 rounds! 

13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

what's the non-Fife cost for Winter, Liam?

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No idea mate sorry, not a price I've needed to check :shade:

Moving to fife first week in Nov - Might be interested

5 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Hopefully opening at 11:30.

Frost? Flooded?

Forecast didn't look that bad

26 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Heavy rain over night here.

surprised to hear it was closed.

Then seen the height the Brox burn had risen from yesterday. must have been a lot of rain overnight.

1 hour ago, weegranty said:

😟

Only light drizzle here in sunny east lothian, which was why I was surprised.

William H. Bonney
3 hours ago, weegranty said:

i played Pumpherston a few weeks ago. It was the same day people in Broxburn were being rescued from their homes by dinghy. 
We got absolutely soaked. The course held up very well. I really enjoyed it. 

I stay in Livingston,never heard any rain during the night.The course was very wet though,a few greens with puddles of water on them.

Samuel Camazzola

Dumbarnie tremendous as ever despite a wet front 9.

Scored a 79 from the blues which was punctured with a double at the 5th and a triple on 17. 😕

36 points so fairly content despite a couple of missed birdies and an eagle. 

Never renewed my membership this year been playing Dora over in Cowdenbeath as a visitor most weeks since June/July good track . Has anyone else played it and what was your thoughts ?.

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Never renewed my membership this year been playing Dora over in Cowdenbeath as a visitor most weeks since June/July good track . Has anyone else played it and what was your thoughts ?.

Local to me but not a course I ever find myself wanting to play. I find it dull, little character and wide open - stand on the tee, smash driver, repeat.

Not my kind of course at all. Toss up between that and Scoonie as the weakest Fife Trust courses.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Local to me but not a course I ever find myself wanting to play. I find it dull, little character and wide open - stand on the tee, smash driver, repeat.

Not my kind of course at all. Toss up between that and Scoonie as the weakest Fife Trust courses.

What’s Kinghorn like ? I’ve seen that’s a fifetrust been on their website looks no bad from the pictures . 

46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What’s Kinghorn like ? I’ve seen that’s a fifetrust been on their website looks no bad from the pictures .