Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Not played any golf for over 11 years now, but was very fortunate to have had 3 hole in one's during my playing days, obviously a lot of luck is involved and I'm not ashamed to admit I was quite happy just to land on the green😁

Some holes may have changed at these course over the years but these were all par 3's

Silverknowes 8th

Braids one 9th

Monktonhall 11th

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

Give the Braids golf course a try if you've not already tried it.

Did well in their Silloth a number of years ago!

2 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Not played any golf for over 11 years now, but was very fortunate to have had 3 hole in one's during my playing days, obviously a lot of luck is involved and I'm not ashamed to admit I was quite happy just to land on the green😁

Some holes may have changed at these course over the years but these were all par 3's

Silverknowes 8th

Braids one 9th

Monktonhall 11th

Braids 9th was barry.

Hit the pin at porty 9th

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What upset the committee? 

Lots of rumours but I am not friendly with any of them to get the real facts😃

59 minutes ago, kila said:

Thanks, I hadn't appreciated such a significant history when I played it a few times in the past.

I do love courses with big changes in elevation. The par 3 down over the burn, and the 18th were great fun. I really should play it again sometime soon, it was next on my list to join after Prestonfield when Lothianburn went bust.

You must be a pretty mean player to have got in, the winners list is a who's who of amateur golf 

Just had the one so far at the 140 yard 9th at Prestonfield. Was off the yellows though, I want to do it during a competition. Especially if the hole is sponsored!

Holed out from around 100 yards a few times too with approaches on par 4s.

Also capable of a 70 degree shank.

48 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It had been a while since I played it and in that period, the 15th tee has been relocated to behind 14th green. It's the hole I once lipped out for a hole in 1 only to three putt for a bogey! 😂 

The 14th green was moves as well, used to be much further left

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, merrymac said:

The 14th green was moves as well, used to be much further left

I did think that but couldn't be sure. 

I was under the impression 17 used to be a long tough par 4 too but is played as a par 5 now. May be wrong though... 

5 minutes ago, merrymac said:

You must be a pretty mean player to have got in, the winners list is a who's who of amateur golf 

Ah I just meant when I've played the course for bounce games, not their open :laugh: I've never even managed a single figure handicap yet, was 11 at Lothianburn though

Edited by kila

5 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I think he means he's played the course mm not necessarily the open lol

Just now, kila said:

Ah I just meant when I've played the course for bounce games, not their open :laugh: I've never even managed a single figure handicap yet, was 11 at Lothianburn though

Ah sorry stupid me:phface:

I did make the reserve list twice when I was much much younger but never played

I think he means he's played the course mm not necessarily the open lol

:phface:

Jamstomorrow
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

I got 5 in one round which I completed in 34 strokes then gave up the game. ©Kim Jong Il

Ha!  That's nothing.  I took 34 strokes at a par 5.    I am not very good though.

Just now, merrymac said:

Ah sorry stupid me:phface:

I did make the reserve list twice when I was much much younger but never played

I'm not surprised to hear that mm

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I did think that but couldn't be sure. 

I was under the impression 17 used to be a long tough par 4 too but is played as a par 5 now. May be wrong though... 

Was always a par 5, used to be the 7th  until they changed the course round.

The 1st was the par 3 at the clubhouse.

The tenth (down the hill to the clubhouse) used to feature in the top ten of longest holes in one, its around 350 from memory.

I'm not surprised to hear that mm

Story of my life - never quite good enough😂.

38 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Silverknowes 8th

Braids one 9th

Monktonhall 11th

Been lucky(very) to have had 6 during a long golfing career.

My favourite would be the 2nd at Kingsbarns.

Good one at Braids 9th mate👍 I managed to hit it to about 2 inches in the final of the Dispatch trophy , but not as good as you.

Knowing the Braids guys I am sure you needed helped home that day :toasting:

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Was always a par 5, used to be the 7th  until they changed the course round.

The 1st was the par 3 at the clubhouse.

The tenth (down the hill to the clubhouse) used to feature in the top ten of longest holes in one, its around 350 from memory.

I was on a good line at the 10th but about 5 yards shy of getting on to the dance floor with my tee shot. Wet conditions done me. 😄

25 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I was on a good line at the 10th but about 5 yards shy of getting on to the dance floor with my tee shot. Wet conditions done me. 😄

Favourite spot just down past the wall 

Alternative push it and bounce it back off the wall on the right.

Once hit the direction marker at the top of the hill on the 1st,and it rebounded left over the walls and OB.

Mr Lucky😟

Only the one at Blair Atholl many years ago when I was fortunately too you to go in the bar so was spared buying drinks. 
Then about 5 years ago I hit what I thought was a decent shot off the tee playing a round on my own, got to the green and my ball was at most an inch from the hole. Bloody annoying, 2 old boys on the 18th tee had actually hung around waiting for me so they could congratulate me on my shot. Still only a birdie though. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Favourite spot just down past the wall 

Alternative push it and bounce it back off the wall on the right.

Once hit the direction marker at the top of the hill on the 1st,and it rebounded left over the walls and OB.

Mr Lucky😟

That's a downer. Instances like that should allow for a mulligan. 

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Silverknowes 8th

Braids one 9th

Monktonhall 11th

Two. 6th at Duddingston, 13th at Liberton. 

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Silverknowes 8th

Braids one 9th

Monktonhall 11th

Two. 6th at Duddingston, 13th at Liberton. 

18 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Silverknowes 8th

Braids one 9th

Monktonhall 11th

Had 2 in competition play - 

4th Gullane No 1

16th Gullane No 1

I had another while playing alone on the 2nd on Gullane No 3.  I was playing two balls anyway as the course was empty and I holed my second one so not sure if that counts.  Anyway... I played the next hole after that, a Par 4 293 yrds and I hit my drive onto the green and it ran just past the hole to 2 feet nearly giving me two holes in one in a row! - I did get the Eagle. 

After 47 years of golf, still never had a hole-in -one. Had a couple of near misses.:sob:

Played the Pumphy Open a few years back with workmate, he was about to hit a 7i off the 15th, told to change to 8i.

He did and duly holed it, so I am taking the credit for it. :whistling:

The next time out, another mate hit his into the 8th green, I'm watching it rolling towards the hole.

"I dont believe it, another one and he's only taken up the game". It stopped, overhanging the hole.:sad:

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

After 47 years of golf, still never had a hole-in -one. Had a couple of near misses.:sob:

Played the Pumphy Open a few years back with workmate, he was about to hit a 7i off the 15th, told to change to 8i.

He did and duly holed it, so I am taking the credit for it. :whistling:

The next time out, another mate hit his into the 8th green, I'm watching it rolling towards the hole.

"I dont believe it, another one and he's only taken up the game". It stopped, overhanging the hole.:sad:

Giving advice in a competition Tommy:naughty:

Harry Potter
21 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Ha!  That's nothing.  I took 34 strokes at a par 5.    I am not very good though.

Some par 5s are long, silverknowes 18th comes to mind 😏.

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Giving advice in a competition Tommy:naughty:

When I was a junior at the merchants I played in a competition with my friend and the club captain. 
My friend, who was off 4, and I was off 19, hit a cracking tee shot. I asked him what he hit and he duly told me. 
The club captain gave me a penalty shot as I had asked advice. I hadn’t, I was just curious. 

Closest I've got to a hole in one was on 11th at the cardrona peebles. About 200 yards, 5iron landed it 2 feet from the flag. Never been so gutted about a tap in birdie before.

I've had two eagles from approx 120 yards and 140 yards out on par 4s, but a hole in 1 still eludes me.

Closest I came was approximately 3 inches, and I did it twice in a row. It was one of the wee par 3s at Swanston. Only a pitching wedge so must have only been around 100-110 yards. Dropped a ball down. Stuck it to 3 inches just to the left of the hole. Dropped another ball down. Stuck it 3 inches just to the right. Was proud as punch and looked around to see if anyone had witnessed this glorious display of precision golf. Nope. :( 

I also stuck one to about 6 inches on the 3rd at Carricknowe. My pitch mark on the green was about 1 inch off the hole, almost a slam dunk. :lol: 

8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I've had two eagles from approx 120 yards and 140 yards out on par 4s, but a hole in 1 still eludes me.

Closest I came was approximately 3 inches, and I did it twice in a row. It was one of the wee par 3s at Swanston. Only a pitching wedge so must have only been around 100-110 yards. Dropped a ball down. Stuck it to 3 inches just to the left of the hole. Dropped another ball down. Stuck it 3 inches just to the right. Was proud as punch and looked around to see if anyone had witnessed this glorious display of precision golf. Nope. :( 

I also stuck one to about 6 inches on the 3rd at Carricknowe. My pitch mark on the green was about 1 inch off the hole, almost a slam dunk. :lol: 

Hole in one alludes me too however I was within 3 inches of one tonight, pitch mark short of the hole at the par 3 5th. Gutted!

Samuel Camazzola

The European Tour is coming to The Fairmont mid October. A new event - The Scottish Championship - is part of the second leg of the UK swing. 

It'll likely be played over a hybrid of the two courses and will be interesting to see the top guys play the holes that are familiar to many. 

Just got back into playing golf after a break of about 12 years (played once or twice a year in between) and I'm looking at getting lessons to sort out my driver as I'm relatively happy with everything else, has anyone used Kurt Mungall up at Kings Acre and would they recommend him? Thanks in advance 

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, dode41 said:

Just got back into playing golf after a break of about 12 years (played once or twice a year in between) and I'm looking at getting lessons to sort out my driver as I'm relatively happy with everything else, has anyone used Kurt Mungall up at Kings Acre and would they recommend him? Thanks in advance 

Kurt fitted me for irons when he was Lothianburn pro. I have nothing but good things to say about him and recommend him highly. 

1 hour ago, dode41 said:

Not speaking personally but agree with SC.

Kurt has a very good reputation as a teacher, and is a good guy by all accounts

👍

11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Not speaking personally but agree with SC.

Kurt has a very good reputation as a teacher, and is a good guy by all accounts

👍

Kurt is a good guy and knows his stuff.

Would also recommend Alistair McLean at Kings Acre. 

On 24/08/2020 at 21:42, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exact same issue as me. I even had a wee 4 degree in there! I'm definitely going for a few lessons over the winter to address my driver. My bad shot is a sky, due to me hitting the driver in a similar fashion to an iron shot, getting right under it.

Driver is ropey as anything just now actually, when it has been good this year I've been getting a nice draw but its just completely gone.

wee update on my quest for some height with the big stick😂. Went to try a few drivers out today as I fancied a change and the pro made a few tweaks to my left hand grip and my set up at address..... getting better figures. First time I’ve been given some advice and now I’ve gone and booked a lesson for the end of September. Also ended up buying a taylormade SIM.... 

F421089B-C84A-4EED-BC30-F76FD621A7A0.jpeg

71D360F7-B10E-4391-9ABA-C139B89CED67.jpeg

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

wee update on my quest for some height with the big stick😂. Went to try a few drivers out today as I fancied a change and the pro made a few tweaks to my left hand grip and my set up at address..... getting better figures. First time I’ve been given some advice and now I’ve gone and booked a lesson for the end of September. Also ended up buying a taylormade SIM.... 

F421089B-C84A-4EED-BC30-F76FD621A7A0.jpeg

71D360F7-B10E-4391-9ABA-C139B89CED67.jpeg

Nice one! It's the Sim I have my eye on as well.

What loft did you end up going with? Or were the angle improvements down to the tweaks from the pro? 

34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one! It's the Sim I have my eye on as well.

What loft did you end up going with? Or were the angle improvements down to the tweaks from the pro? 

I’ve got it at 10.75 or something, my previous driver was 10.5 so no different really, the changes to my set up made a huge difference though.