Top 3 best and worst Romanov era moments

Jammy T

World Cup qualifiers. There's a difference. A big one.

Why are they called "The World Cup Finals"? Surely to have a finale...

Anyway this is getting off topic and a waste of time. You're never going to give your main rivals any credit so **** it!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fabuloso
Why are they called "The World Cup Finals"? Surely to have a finale...

Anyway this is getting off topic and a waste of time. You're never going to give your main rivals any credit so **** it!

I'd happily give you credit if you had a valid point. But you don't. The earlier post said that VR deserved credit for Hearts qualifying for the Champions League. Can't see any debate here.

davemclaren
Which league position did we finish Dave?

I don't understand the question.

I assume the Champions League finishes when it goes back to knockout for the quarters and thereafter then?

Guest Fabuloso
I don't understand the question.

I assume the Champions League finishes when it goes back to knockout for the quarters and thereafter then?

Why couldn't the champions league theme be used at Murrayfield?

Come the knockout stages the teams would have had to have taken part in a league scenario to get there. My issue is that we could have qualified if VR had put his money where his mouth was at that point. He didn't deliver on this 'promise'. In fact it went steeply downhill after that.

davemclaren

Come the knockout stages the teams would have had to have taken part in a league scenario to get there. My issue is that we could have qualified if VR had put his money where his mouth was at that point. He didn't deliver on this 'promise'. In fact it went steeply downhill after that.

The music is the least important bit imo but you'd have to ask UEFA.

According to their website the Champions League competition consists of ....

# First qualifying round

# Second qualifying round

# Third qualifying round

# Group stage - that you qualify for ( I added the Italics )

# First knockout round

# Quarter-finals

# Semi-finals

# Final

QED

Most of them have been covered already so...

Good

Watching hearts bravely hold out to defend a Saulius Mikoliunas goal against AEK in front of 32,459 (Thirty two thousand four hundred and fifty nine!) in the home leg of that tournament having unfairly been reduced to 10 men

I don't care what you call it.

We were there and Rangers who had come to see it as their birthright weren't because we'd taken it from them.

Celtic hadn't even progressed that far the previous season

And anybody else outside of those two could only dream of flying as high as we were at half past nine that August evening.

Bad

Christophe Berra's own goal.

We'd arrived at the most exclusive party in Europe, enjoyed a few canapes, had a glass of champagne and then suddenly we were being handed our coats.

Good

Tearing up Rangers at home this season. We'd recovered from a 5 game winless streak to run up four wins in a row before this but there was doubt over whether we'd turned the corner or whether we'd simply been lucky against poor opponents (The players were booed off after defeating Hamilton). Extending it with a 5th game against Rangers showed that Csaba's Hearts were the real deal.

Bad

The last minute equaliser at the end of 2006/07 that essentially sealed 3rd place for the Dons

Bert Le Clos
World Cup qualifiers. There's a difference. A big one.

I see both your points, but I agree that Hearts didn't actually qualify for the Champions League competition.

If you liken it to the World Cup, we effectively played in a play-off game. The same as when Scotland played England/Holland. Even though Scotland made the play-off, they weren't in the group stages of the World Cup finals.

Same goes for the Champions League IMO.

Anyway

Good

1. The Cup - includes the semi and the final. The two best days of my life.

2. Finishing 2nd - includes all the good points of that season. The Burley era (was it an era?) saw Hearts play the best football I've seen. The pumpings of Hibs, Rangers and Celtic and Tynie were amazing.

3. Appointing Csaba and stepping back to let him do his job. His merits as a manager have yet to be fully determined but regardless, at least he is in control of the club.

Bad

1. Sacking Burley/becoming involved in team selection/the succession of terrible appointments. Sacking Burley started the downward spiral which got us to where we were by the end of last season. The appointments of Rix, Malofeev, Ivanauskas, Duffy etc. only screwed us even more.

2. Last season. Almost all of it.

3. The ridiculous signing and wages being handed out to players of **** poor quality. He should have researched what got Hearts into such a bad financial state before he took over and learned from it. IMO, if not for the huge transfer fees and wages being handed out to some players we would have had several players contracts tied up before now and could have brought in the striker and centre half we needed in January.

Anyone else hear a barrel being scraped

BarrelManScrapingBottom.jpg

ROMANOV FAN CLUB

1. His treatment of Andy Webster and the fact he took it all the way.

2. The fact of for a few seasons we only gave the Old Firm half the away end and the tantrum they threw, Forgetting we were only doing what they had done to others.

3. The fact the board proved the media wrong when they said Vlad couldn't turn down ?5million for Gordon. I mean what would Rangers have sold Hutton for if that deal hadn't been done.

4. Being at Ibrox last day of the season and singing "We brought our reserves were taking the ****"

5. The fact he brought Makela's wife to Tynie just shows he wanted to have the best looking WAG in the SPL.

6. The fact everytime you go down to England everyone knows who Hearts are.

7. Seeing Hearts play in a Champions League qualifier as never thought Id see that ( But then I remember when the only thing we had won was the Tenents Sixes TWICE).

8. All the free scarfs and tops for kids when do you see Old Firm do that shows he thinks of the future.

NEGATIVES

1. Not here enough anymore or winding up the press.

2. Allowed Harry Potter (Pedro Lopez) to buy players.

3. Stuck by Pinila when he should have stuck his boot up him.

:1132: Another Sun writer

Good:

1 - Beating Hibs 4-0 in the semi

2 - Tanking Celtic 3-0 to effectively qualify for the CL, Aberdeen was tense but I was far more worried about Celtic scuppering our chances after NYD.

3 - Having undoubtedly the best player in the SPL for the last 5 months of 2005, knowing he was going to score.

Bad:

1 - Burley departure.

2 - Anderton / Foulkes departures - absolute confirmation that Romanov was a nutter.

3 - The whole of last season, struggling to beat terrible teams at home in particular.

Good things;

The players of 2005/2006, we seen some of the top players to play in the SPL that season, Skacel, Hartley, Brellier, Takis, Jankauskas, Bednar, Pospisil, Gordon.

Gordon's save against Motherwell at Tynecastle that season, the 93rd minute, 2-1 up and the outstretched arm of Craig Gordon kept our 100% record going that season.

Being top of the league, it's such a good feeling when you look at the league table and see Heart of Midlothian at the top.

The first 10 minutes of the Celtic new year game, I went mad cheering that second goal, 8 minutes and we're 2-0 up against the league leaders, a chance to go 4 points behind in the title race.

Jankauskas' goal in the Semi Final, that was the 3rd that wrapped up the game, at that point I knew I was returning to Hampden to watch my team win the Scottish Cup.

The Semi Final itself was one of the best games I've been to, 4-0 against our city rivals to get to a Final in a cup they hadn't now won for 105 years, it doesn't get any better.

Beating Celtic 3-0, "let's all laugh at Rangers, ha ha ha ha!"

Hartley's penalty in the Aberdeen Champions League game, the noise was incredible, I was told it could be heard from miles away and it was such an important result for us as well. The celebrations after were he best I've experienced, we'd worked for that moment for the whole season and we got our reward.

The Scottish cup final, from Robbie's last man tackle to us lifting the cup, just a perfect day.

Miko's goal v AEK, we were ahead in the Champions League qualifier, let's hope we will be in the situation again some day and we can go one stage further and qualify. I can remember after their goal to put them 2-1 up, fans were yelling at our players even though we were down to 10 men, against far greater opposition and had been completely dominated for the whole match, I think they had 30+ shots to our 3.

Beating Celtic 2-1 in the first home game of 2006/07. Bednar scored 2 and one was incorrectly chopped off for an offside, oh and Lennons backpass!!!

Beating Rangers 4-2 at Tynecastle, even Kestutis Ivaskevicius scored!!!

Miko's 92nd minute screamer v Motherwell at the start of this season. Great goal just seconds after losing our lead.

Kingston and Driver's 90+ minute winners after conceding late equalisers, one against Inverness and someone else I can't remember, 6 points gained this season from similar positions, how vital will they be at the end of the season!

Glen's goal in the Scottish Cup v Hibs. Great way to end the match and knock them out of the cup... again!

Drawing 2-2 with Rangers, not the best result but it shows how far the team has come, 2-0 down at Ibrox at half time and coming back to draw, fantastic.

Bad things;

Sacking Burley, I can remember the moment I heard this, I was in the car going under the bridge near Broomhouse going to the Dunfermline game, I laughed when I first heard it because I didn't believe it, then it sunk in as I realised it was no joke, I was literally speechless for a while, what had been one of the best times of my life was over.

Getting knocked out of the UEFA Cup. I remember when the draw was made, Hearts were meant to get the home game in the second leg but Tottenham was also drawn against Slavia Prague and UEFA didn't want both Prague clubs playing in the same city on the same nights so they decided to move the Hearts game. The home leg at Murrayfield was awful, the pitch was flooded, it was really heavy rain, it was a miserable night and a miserable performance, we lost 2-0. I still feel that if UEFA hadn't have moved the game, we'd have went through, our tie was first out of the hat so why didn't the Tottenham game get moved, just because they are a bigger club? I remember looking out of the window on the night of the second leg in Prague, it was the most perfect night, mild, little wind, dry, the sun just setting on the horizon - perfect weather for a game of football. I still feel we would have went through if we had played the home leg that night and have always had something against Tottenham since that incident, I know it's not their fault but until Hearts get back into Europe, I will always hope the worst for Spurs.

Finally, the treatment of our players and staff at certain times, Hartley Pressley and Gordon, Brellier, Burley, Firework Phil etc.

I know I have more than 3 good things but they were some good times in my life.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Best

...Semi 4-0(assumed final would be easy)

...beating Rangers 1-0 that 1st season meant our winning run looked great

...scoring against AKathens,just for a while it looked possible.

worst

...signing Rix..all names been thrown into the ring(like Robson/luthurM etc)and we get some dodgy geezer i never heard off.

...Ricci 3 and aftermath.

...LAST SEASON as a whole

The music is the least important bit imo but you'd have to ask UEFA.

According to their website the Champions League competition consists of ....

# First qualifying round

# Second qualifying round

# Third qualifying round

# Group stage - that you qualify for ( I added the Italics )

# First knockout round

# Quarter-finals

# Semi-finals

# Final

Spot on Dave. :th_love:

Any "Hearts fan" who says we didn't make it into the UEFA Champions League - the first non OF club to do so - is no better than a filthy, bitter and twisted hobo. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

I honestly can't understand their motivation unless they're so bitter about Mr Romanov they have become incapable of thinking logically about Hearts-related matters.

I honestly can't understand their motivation unless they're so bitter about Mr Romanov they have become incapable of thinking logically about Hearts-related matters.

Hole in one. It's sad.

Best:

Keeping our spiritual home

Champions League dream - beating Aberdeen, beating that pump team from Bosnia, then leading against AEK - with more than 32,000 Hearts fans there.

Numerous beating of Huns, Celts and Hobos. More than before.

More than 56,000 tunring up to watch us in a friendly.

The Cup run (from semi to final).

Fyssas and Skacel combining.

Kingston's run at Ibrox leading to a goal. Thought "what a player we have here!"

Bad

Sackings

Forever thinking "what if...."

Clum's dancing on Youtube

07-08 season

Bullsh*t in the press from Frail.

Rodney's AGM rants - what a plum!

I know I have more than 3 good things but they were some good times in my life.

Thats the key part for me.

I was only 10 and didnt live in Edinburgh in the 85-86 season so I didnt get to a lot of games and had youthful naivity on my side, so the Burley games and a lot of the remainder of that season gave me my most memorable and best Hearts moments

Sadly parts of that same season and every season after until the appointment of Csaba gave me the some of the worst. Granted I wasnt around as a fan when we were relegated and some of the Mercer stuff didnt really have a huge impact on me so I appreciate my perspective may not be the same of, say, a 40 or 50 year old Hearts fan.

Anyway, its interesting that the "usual suspects" or people with a more tainted view of Romanov have been straight down the middle re good points, but a good few of those who intimate their boredom with the "usual suspects" eg "the other usual suspects" have taken the pash when it comes it bad Romanov moments...

PresidentRomanov
It has all been bad as far as i am concerned

Seriously, you thought it was bad after eight games in 2005/06 season?

Either you're fibbing, or you're a Leither.

Billy the Jambo
Seriously, you thought it was bad after eight games in 2005/06 season?

Either you're fibbing, or you're a Leither.

The first 8 games were great but that was down to Burley and not the mad one .I hate the mad one that much i refise to give him credit for anything .Even if we won the treble and the european cup for the next 10 years in a row i still wouldnt

Tommy Wiseau
The first 8 games were great but that was down to Burley and not the mad one .I hate the mad one that much i refise to give him credit for anything .Even if we won the treble and the european cup for the next 10 years in a row i still wouldnt

At least you're not bitter and twisted with it.

At least you're not bitter and twisted with it.

BtJ would give us "usual suspects" a bad name, but he is obviously comfortable with his hatred and largely keeps quiet about it....

If we ever had any kind of sustained success I would, personally, give Vlad the credit.

It just wont happen with hime here......(:th_love:)

Guest jambomickey
Spot on Dave. :th_love:

Any "Hearts fan" who says we didn't make it into the UEFA Champions League - the first non OF club to do so - is no better than a filthy, bitter and twisted hobo. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

it's only filthy, bitter and twisted clowns that describe fellow jambos that way.

it's only filthy, bitter and twisted clowns that describe fellow jambos that way.

What's your agenda? Why are you keen to discredit Heart of Midlothian FC? Is there a clue in your name?

Guest jambomickey
What's your agenda? Why are you keen to discredit Heart of Midlothian FC? Is there a clue in your name?

there's plenty on jkb who know me and would vouch for my passion for the football club! never miss a game and it's been like that for over 30 years.

there's plenty on jkb who know me and would vouch for my passion for the football club! never miss a game and it's been like that for over 30 years.

Translation: I have multiple user names and know how to use a proxy server. :qqb016:

Guest jambomickey
Translation: I have multiple user names and know how to use a proxy server. :qqb016:

eh? what you slavering about?

Harry Roberts

all been covered already...

best.

keeping us at tynecastle

the appointment of burley and the 3 months that followed

the 10 days or so that seen us beat aberdeen and qualify for the champs league and ended with us picking up the scottish cup.

worst.

the sacking of burley

the appointment of rix.

malofeev in league cup game at easter rd.

Guest jambomickey
all been covered already...

best.

keeping us at tynecastle

the appointment of burley and the 3 months that followed

the 10 days or so that seen us beat aberdeen and qualify for the champs league and ended with us picking up the scottish cup.

worst.

the sacking of burley

the appointment of rix.

malofeev in league cup game at easter rd.

pretty fair comment mate.

eh? what you slavering about?

Answer this question. What is your motivation in saying that Heart of Midlothian FC did not participate in the UEFA Champions League? Only someone with an anti-Hearts agenda would spout such poppycock.

Patrick Bateman
The best moment was when Burley left.

Agreed. Senor Cirrhosis has shown himself up in subsequent jobs, particularly as Scotland manager.

Romanov may be slightly eccentric, but he's a far, far better and more respectful owner than Chris Robinson ever was.

Carl Spackler

When it comes to Vlad specifically I don't know about Good or Bad but just funny as anything

BANANAGATE!

Guest jambomickey
Answer this question. What is your motivation in saying that Heart of Midlothian FC did not participate in the UEFA Champions League? Only someone with an anti-Hearts agenda would spout such poppycock.

no anti hearts agenda with me! i'm positive when there's reason to and negative when there's reason, we were in the champions league qualifiers and didn't qulify for the champions league.

no anti hearts agenda with me!

:56: :56: :56: :56: :56: :56:

I'll leave others to be the judge of that based on your ridiculous comments.

I'm leaving it there as our rather one-sided debate is clearly not going anywhere.

Harry Roberts

we participated in the champions league qualifiers but failed to qualify for the champions league group stages.

we participated in the tournament that is the champions league though

pretty simple really i would have thought.

Guest jambomickey
:56: :56: :56: :56: :56: :56:

I'll leave others to be the judge of that based on your ridiculous comments.

I'm leaving it there as our rather one-sided debate is clearly not going anywhere.

we'll agree to disagree without the usual insults from yourself when somebodys opinion is different to yourself.

Guest jambomickey
we participated in the champions league qualifiers but failed to qualify for the champions league group stages.

we participated in the tournament that is the champions league though

pretty simple really i would have thought.

that's all i said.

Harry Roberts
that's all i said.

i know

was just saying. i've had this argument at work and it's a bit like saying whitehill welfare or whoever never played in the scottish cup because they never made it to the stage where the 'big teams' entered (3rd round, or is it now round 4?)

Pete Seeger
It has all been bad as far as i am concerned

:42:

I take it you didn't enjoy the several humpings of hibs (including a semi final at hampden), Euro trips, A scottish cup win, Splitting the old firm and watching players with genuine quality?

Oh the terrible memories, I still have nightmares.

Pete Seeger

I should probaly add that as a whole, I've really enjoyed this season. Hopefully next year we'll have a cup run and Euro travels to go along with it.

In no particular order.

Good:

1. Semi-final/Scottish Cup win. I was 9 in the 97-98 season and my dad didn't take me to the final so it was really something when Skelton missed the penalty.

2. Beating Aberdeen 1-0 to qualify for the Champions League. Closely followed by Rangers 1-0 and Celtic 3-0.

3. The appointment of Csaba Laszlo.

4. That glorious run.

5. Saving the club.

Bad

1. The continous changing of "managers" (faces).

2. ?12m wage bill and finishing 4th.

3. That infamous midweek match at Tannadice.

Archived