Top six - chances now?

H2

Before the start of the 3rd round of matches there was a thread for us to say if we'd get top six and how many points Hearts would get. Some people put down as low as 7 or 8, no doubt they are delighted to be wrong, we have in three games picked up nine points.

We are closing in, only three points behind 5th place Aberdeen, though there is the issue that all the teams around us have games in hand. I still think we will make top six, what do you think?

1 Rangers 23 37 56

2 Celtic 22 36 49

3 Dundee Utd 25 6 39

4 Motherwell 22 4 38

5 Aberdeen 24 -5 33

6 Inverness CT 24 -5 32

7 Falkirk 25 -6 32

8 Hearts 25 -4 30

9 Hibernian 23 0 29

10 St Mirren 23 -20 26

11 Kilmarnock 25 -12 22

12 Gretna 23 -31 13

Still dont think we will make top six, not far behind now, but i cant see us getting many points in the next 3 games and we need other teams to slip up and for us to pick up a lot of points in the other games.

We won't make Europe.

We won't be relegated.

Whether we make the top 6 means nothing to me.

??? means better games at the end of the season.

Aslong as we get top 6, we'll finish 3rd, still certain of it.

Motherwell will collapse soon, the fixture backlogs too much and there "squad" is poor other than there first 11. Aberdeen's gash, as are Falkirk and Cally. We're better than Hibs imo, only problem i see really is Utd but i think the amount of games they've got from still being in both cups will take it's toll though.

Hopefully.

??? means better games at the end of the season.

Better games?

For who?

If it's meaningless, What does it matter if we play Rangers and Celtic again?

Hibs will be bottom 6, I'd rather have another derby.

Better games?

For who?

Can I just point out that we are still only 9 points off 3rd. Yes we have been mostly crap this season, however our results have improved, if we can go on a bit of a run (no reason why not) who's to say Europe is not still a possibility? That's what I would be aiming for if I was Stevie Frail.

Will you still be so pessimistic if (yes I know it's a big IF but certainly not impossible) we beat Celtic?

we are the ONLY team other than the bigot brothers to have been in the top 6 EVERY year since the premier league was started we should be aiming to keep that record and the people on here who think otherwise are quite depressing:mad:

How many games in hand do Motherwell have?

We won't make 3rd even if we beat Sellick.

Assuming that Murderwell win their games in hand. Who's to say that they won't start on a run of bad results, it's about time they did isn't it?

3rd is not out of reach, FACT. Although to be honest even a top 6 finish would be a good thing given how crap we were throughout December and some of January. bonus if we finish above the wee team too.

we are the ONLY team other than the bigot brothers to have been in the top 6 EVERY year since the premier league was started we should be aiming to keep that record and the people on here who think otherwise are quite depressing:mad:

What is the 'top 6' though?

Some half brained SPL idea of a few years back that other football supporters in other countries laugh at when they see the final league placings.

Who cares?

It's a nonsense, Much like everything else in this god forsaken country.

Better games?

For who?

Should still be aiming as high as possible but agree about another derby game. Come on Hibs keep up!! :P

awadooningorgie2

What is the story for European qualification this year - 4th good enough provided a team in top 3 wins the cup?

With the way that the teams are all bunched up the first target is make the top six.

Then depending on the Scottish Cup fourth place may be enough for the UEFA Cup.

A lot of football still to be played before this season is done..

Assuming that Murderwell win their games in hand. Who's to say that they won't start on a run of bad results, it's about time they did isn't it?

3rd is not out of reach, FACT. Although to be honest even a top 6 finish would be a good thing given how crap we were throughout December and some of January. bonus if we finish above the wee team too.

3rd is out of reach.

3rd is out of reach.

:)I take it you didn't do arithmtic at school. My glass is half full, I pity you for having one that is half empty.

3rd is out of reach.

What school did you go to???

13 matches to go = 39 points available...

Current gap between us and 3rd Place = 9 points...

So, 3rd Place is unlikely? I would agree with that...

However, to say that 3rd place is out of reach is just simply wrong.

How many games in hand do Motherwell have?

We won't make 3rd even if we beat Sellick.

3, Celtic & Cally at home and Hibs away i think.

Could easily see them getting **** all from that imo.

What school did you go to???

13 matches to go = 39 points available...

Current gap between us and 3rd Place = 9 points...

So, 3rd Place is unlikely? I would agree with that...

However, to say that 3rd place is out of reach is just simply wrong.

Whatever.

I'll keep this thread bookmarked and bump it back in a couple of months.

Whatever.

I'll keep this thread bookmarked and bump it back in a couple of months.

Yeah, cause that will be fun to get it right up other Jambos if the season really, really does turn out to give us nothing...

I really wonder at times...!

3rd is out of reach.

I'm guessing you don't like Mondays, sounds like Saturdays are getting a bit depressing for you.;)

?rd is a very very tall order, top six is achievable on our own steam. It's good to have a target, no matter what that target is, then there is achievement. We want to win every game, we need to set a target of getting 42 points as soon as possible, that is after the next four games. Tough perhaps, but stranger things have happened, for example Hibs beat us this season - just goes to show nothing is impossible.

I think you need to escape your 'rat trap' before ' someones looking at you' and you 'drag me down'. You might end up in a 'Banana Republic' with 'Dave' or an 'Elephants Graveyard' 'looking after No .1':nooo:

Top six or bottom six: this season has been ****ing ****e.

I hope Romanov is ****ing ashamed of his efforts.

Let's hope a decent manager will change his fortunes; and ours too.

Then I'll feel good about the future of HMFC once more.

I don't care at all about being right or wrong.

Buffalo Bill

Yeah, cause that will be fun to get it right up other Jambos if the season really, really does turn out to give us nothing...

I really wonder at times...!

Wonder what?

Sometimes you just have to accept that he players we have, WILL NOT ACHIEVE 3RD.

Sometimes you just have to accept the 'management' we have, WILL NOT ACHIEVE 3RD.

We were pish today, and Pish against Hibs.

I'd love us to finish 3rd.

We won't.

I'm guessing you don't like Mondays, sounds like Saturdays are getting a bit depressing for you.;)

?rd is a very very tall order, top six is achievable on our own steam. It's good to have a target, no matter what that target is, then there is achievement. We want to win every game, we need to set a target of getting 42 points as soon as possible, that is after the next four games. Tough perhaps, but stranger things have happened, for example Hibs beat us this season - just goes to show nothing is impossible.

I think you need to escape your 'rat trap' before ' someones looking at you' and you 'drag me down'. You might end up in a 'Banana Republic' with 'Dave' or an 'Elephants Graveyard' 'looking after No .1':nooo:

:)

Wonder what?

Sometimes you just have to accept that he players we have, WILL NOT ACHIEVE 3RD.

Sometimes you just have to accept the 'management' we have, WILL NOT ACHIEVE 3RD.

We won't.

Love you optimism TBTR :)

As BuffaloBill said this season has been a shambles and to finish 3rd or 4th would be a massive achievement but also an embaressment with the squad we have.

Buffalo Bill

Do you ever post anything remotely positive? Are you happy we won today? Are you happy we've won our last 3 all with clean sheets? Please say you are, i'm worried you might tan your wrists if we only manage a draw against Celtic

Do you ever post anything remotely positive? Are you happy we won today? Are you happy we've won our last 3 all with clean sheets? Please say you are, i'm worried you might tan your wrists if we only manage a draw against Celtic

edit.

edit.

Sorry if i'm wrong to ask for a bit of positivity. I mean this site is depressing enough when we lose, is it really so wrong to expect just a little positivity when we win. A lot of folk on here were billing todays game as a relegation battle. We won!! Yahoo!!! Chances of relegation now next to sod all. Come on third place;)

Wonder what?
When it became the standard not to dream, not to have the most unfounded bit of hope that stops us from doing something else with our time and cash every weekend.

Not for me, not till the maths say otherwise...

Not for me, not till the maths say otherwise...

Yes...but we won both matches, I would love to win 38 SPL matches a season playing pish

So would I mate, so would I...

We won't.
We still can...

Maybe I am a fool, maybe I am dreamer...however, we went over the festive fixtures not playing any worse than we did today and got nothing from every single match. The last three we have taken 9 points...maybe we are going to finally put that run together that ends the season in style.

Do I think we will, well no...but I have zero influence over anything that goes on at the club, my hope is the only thing that I have 100% control over.

Do you really want to try and take that?

Enjoy the win, pop a cold beer and chill!!! :)

Sorry if i'm wrong to ask for a bit of positivity. I mean this site is depressing enough when we lose, is it really so wrong to expect just a little positivity when we win. A lot of folk on here were billing todays game as a relegation battle. We won!! Yahoo!!! Chances of relegation now next to sod all. Come on third place;)

I'm delighted you are happy - so am I, winning is so much fun, always makes me feel better. More whisky i think ;)

Go with your instincts.

Then reverse them.

Buffalo Bill

portobellojambo1
Wonder what?

We won't.

Buffalo Bill

Agree.

Was delighted to pick up 3 points today, but that is it. Saw nothing performance wise to suggest we have turned any "corners". Yet again it shows how low we have dropped our standards if some would now be happy with a top 6 finish, which we may achieve, but 3rd is out of the question. Our next 4 games are versus Celtic (a), Motherwell (a), Rangers (h) and Inverness CT (a), not a particularly attractive set of fixtures.

Agree BB.

Was delighted to pick up 3 points today, but that is it. Saw nothing performance wise to suggest we have turned any "corners". Yet again it shows how low we have dropped our standards if some would now be happy with a top 6 finish, which we may achieve, but 3rd is out of the question. Our next 4 games are versus Celtic (a), Motherwell (a), Rangers (h) and Inverness CT (a), not a particularly attractive set of fixtures.

Ahem.

*cough*

TBTR.

;)

What is the 'top 6' though?

Some half brained SPL idea of a few years back that other football supporters in other countries laugh at when they see the final league placings.

Who cares?

It's a nonsense, Much like everything else in this god forsaken country.

If for nowt else the hard cash difference is worth it to the club. gone on smile I know you can do it

portobellojambo1
Ahem.

*cough*

TBTR.

;)

Minor technical problem TBTR, my reply was meant to be attached to BB's earlier post but I errrrr, cocked it up. Have adjusted it now, sort of.

Agree.

How many points do you think we will get?

We need to aim for 12, - 8 would be good, 6 keeps us on target.

I know you never asked me but i'm going to answer your question anyway....

1....Possibly 2.

I know you never asked me but i'm going to answer your question anyway....

1....Possibly 2.

:) LOL - I wish you hadn't!

Maybe you'd like some of my whisky?

hope you.ve got a stock comparable to diageo's then

Lets face it we are a shockingly poor team this season. Even our last 3 wins in the league we have been poor.(compared to how good we'd need to be to present a sustained challenge to the OF)

I'd be a little concerned that if we finish 3rd or 4th from certain people at the club might see that as a signal that everything is actually okay. Finishing 3rd or 4th would actually be a miracle, even from here, and I dont think it will happen, although we have an outside chance of 4th if either one of Motherwell and Dundee Utd crash in the last 12-14 games. I think 5th is perfectly possible now but frankly...so what.

If it makes the need for a clear out and a rebuilding of the squad plainly apparent to all at the club, then to be honest I'd rather we finished bottom six.

Lets face it we are a shockingly poor team this season. Even our last 3 wins in the league we have been poor.(compared to how good we'd need to be to present a sustained challenge to the OF)

I'd be a little concerned that if we finish 3rd or 4th from certain people at the club might see that as a signal that everything is actually okay. Finishing 3rd or 4th would actually be a miracle, even from here, and I dont think it will happen, although we have an outside chance of 4th if either one of Motherwell and Dundee Utd crash in the last 12-14 games. I think 5th is perfectly possible now but frankly...so what.

If it makes the need for a clear out and a rebuilding of the squad plainly apparent to all at the club, then to be honest I'd rather we finished bottom six.

Thats what me was finkin too.

Admire the optimists but tend to think the realists are right.......:sad:

Celtic (away)

Motherwell (away)

Rangers (Home)

Inverness (away)

Based on the form of this season (and the preceding season) we are unlikely to gain more than 1 point from our next four games. We may scrape into the top six but, pride aside, who cares?

Nah.

No thanks.

I'd rather pish in a pint glass and drink that.

Chin Chin.

:)

We've certainly improved compared with six weeks ago, which is something: and top 6 is indeed a possibility (though personally, I expect us to need more like 44-45 points to make it, which I struggle to see happening). And sure, 3rd is theoretically possible - but sorry folks, it ain't happening. Motherwell and Dundee United are a class above the rest of us: the only question is what order they finish 3rd and 4th (with Well maybe emulating United and reaching a final too), and because of their softish looking fixture list, the only side I give any chance at all of stopping those two are Aberdeen. If we finish 5th, that'd be bloody remarkable given where we were when Frail was handed the reins - but it's certainly as well as we can do.

Personally, I still think we'll end up 7th. Obviously, a good return from the next four games would put us right in the hunt to make the top six - but I think it's realism, rather than pessimism, which makes me expect us to take just two points from the next twelve... which ain't going to be enough.

OK, here goes...

Celtic (Away) - Most teams lose at Parkhead, we probably will this time as well. OK this team has already won against Celtic in Glasgow this season but you only get one of them a season (if you are very, very lucky!) 0 Points

Motherwell (Away) - A small Motherwell squad will play their fifth game in fifteen days. We have played them 4 times already this season winning one and losing one in Lanarkshire and drawing one and losing one at Tynecastle. If I were putting money on it then I would go for a draw. However, you could really just toss a coin on this one, it might just come up heads 1-3 Points

Rangers (Home) - Probably our best performance of the season saw us roll them over the last time they were at Tynecastle. A moment of madness from our goalkeeper robbed us of a point at Ibrox. I felt that we let ourselves down at Hampden last week. However, it did take a goal that should never have counted to make the break through. Only the fact that it is at home makes me feel that we can get a draw in this match 1 Point

Inverness (Away) - Not a good place for us to go. Four SPL visits to this ground and not a strong performance amongst them. OK we won under Burley but that was a 1-0 win and we really toiled for it. Most matches with this team are very tight. Inverness have won both this season. The winner each time has come in injury time at the end of the ninety. This feels like a draw but are Inverness really so much better than us that they will win 3 out of 3 against us? I think we might just be due one 1 - 3 Points

So I reckon the minimum the next 4 matches will give us is 3 points and with a chunk of luck 7 points...

Celtic (away)

Motherwell (away)

Rangers (Home)

Inverness (away)

Based on the form of this season (and the preceding season) we are unlikely to gain more than 1 point from our next four games. We may scrape into the top six but, pride aside, who cares?

What a stupid statement to make.

FFS Do I really need to remind you of the corresponding games earlier THIS season.

Motherwell 0-2 Hearts

Hearts 4-2 Rankgers

You were saying ?

What a stupid statement to make.

FFS Do I really need to remind you of the corresponding games earlier THIS season.

Motherwell 0-2 Hearts

Hearts 4-2 Rankgers

You were saying ?

And do I also need to remind you of:

Celtic 5-0 Heart of Midlothian

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2-1 Heart of Midlothian?

FFS, exactly how do you think we ended up 11th and in our worst run of form in living memory in the first place?

And do I also need to remind you of:

Celtic 5-0 Heart of Midlothian

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2-1 Heart of Midlothian?

FFS, exactly how do you think we ended up 11th and in our worst run of form in living memory in the first place?

I am well aware of the score of both games having been there but clearly you didn't bother to read the post I responded to. You might want to try that next time.

Archived