118-118 What did Big Jock Know?

duckandcover

Before the Aberdeen game, could somebody who knows the politically correct way to behave tell me if we can still question the parentage of Aberdeen supporters while accusing them of having sexual congress with certain rural animals. Or is it only the two provincial teams in the west who are protected against and take offence at such abuse?

After this hokey-cokey thing I'm just not sure anymore!

:xmaswoot:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest S.U.S.S.
What's that got to with this subject?

Any way, as for the point you just made - watch this space. That will be changing soon I think.

The fact that people are called stupid for hating celtic or having a dislike of them and are fair game for people on the board and this is about a man who knew who worked for Celtic.

Changing soon? not sure about that, i asked why this was the case to a mod and never got a reply.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I can assure you I don't, and that it is entirely possible to hate Celtic without harbouring any positive feeling whatsoever towards Rangers.

There are two myths that are perpetuated (sp?) by the OF / media in this country. One is that anything anti-Celtic automatically equals anti-Catholic, and the other is that if you hate one more than the other, that means you must secretly support the other.

Neither of these is true. Sadly, a lot of non-OF fans now believe them.

Of course its possible, but some decide its not and seem to think that makes it law on here.

They are the shallow narrow minded bigots as they refuse to see any point of view but their own.

The fact that people are called stupid for hating celtic or having a dislike of them and are fair game for people on the board and this is about a man who knew who worked for Celtic.

Changing soon? not sure about that, i asked why this was the case to a mod and never got a reply.

Like I said, watch this space.

Maybe those in charge do listen to you after all.

I find it staggering that the term 'hun' is so widely accepted on the board. Bearing in mind this is a term which has been deemed sectarian by Nil By Mouth.

I have raised this before on the board and like yourself, never got a reply.

I'd like to think of JKB as having a zero-tolerance policy right across the board, Alas, it seems that's not the case.

:sad:

Stupid Sexy Flanders
No doubt. In which case, out of respect for the victims, there are myriad other things they could do to demonstrate it instead of this chant.

That's very true, however it still doesn't make it bigoted, or anti-Catholic, which is the point I think you were originally making.

EDIT: Having re-read your original post, maybe not "point", but certainly "implication".

I find it staggering that the term 'hun' is so widely accepted on the board. Bearing in mind this is a term which has been deemed sectarian by Nil By Mouth.

I'd like to think of JKB as having a zero-tolerance policy right across the board, Alas, it seems that's not the case.

Expect to hear something about this soon.

We do listen, believe it or not.

There really is no justification for allowing the word hun to be used freely but disallowing the Celtic equivalent. I myself stopped using the word on the forum after a discussion with SUSS where he pointed out the NBM article that claimed the word to be sectarian.

It's not really relevant to this thread but the mods are working on how to implement a change.

Expect to hear something about this soon.

We do listen, believe it or not.

There really is no justification for allowing the word hun to be used freely but disallowing the Celtic equivalent. I myself stopped using the word on the forum after a discussion with SUSS where he pointed out the NBM article that claimed the word to be sectarian.

It's not really relevant to this thread but the mods are working on how to implement a change.

That sounds promising Cosa.

How about just adding it to the sweary filter?

jamboinglasgow

What gets me is that some of the same people who sing "big Jock Knew" are the same people who would happily form a vigilante to attack the house of a "known" (i.e. I know he is a peado as, well, something is not right about him and I got told by someone down the pub that he is on the register) peadophile. So they sing with such joy a song celebrating child abuse going on and then go crazy over the rumour of child abuse.

That sounds promising Cosa.

How about just adding it to the sweary filter?

Not sure if that's what they'll do because it impacts on the use of other words. For example, the word Hungary would look a bit odd.

We'll have to leave it with them and they'll find the best way.

What gets me is that some of the same people who sing "big Jock Knew" are the same people who would happily form a vigilante to attack the house of a "known" (i.e. I know he is a peado as, well, something is not right about him and I got told by someone down the pub that he is on the register) peadophile. So they sing with such joy a song celebrating child abuse going on and then go crazy over the rumour of child abuse.

:xmaseye:

Not sure if that's what they'll do because it impacts on the use of other words. For example, the word Hungary would look a bit odd.

We'll have to leave it with them and they'll find the best way.

Yep, fair enough.

I've got doubts as to whether this will indeed happen though, lets be honest it's not a new discussion and I'd guess if there was any real will to get it sorted it would have been sorted by now.

Time will tell.

Yep, fair enough.

I've got doubts as to whether this will indeed happen though, lets be honest it's not a new discussion and I'd guess if there was any real will to get it sorted it would have been sorted by now.

Time will tell.

You'll just have to trust me that they are trying to thrash this out and have been for the last week or so. You'll also have to trust me when I say that there is a will for this to be implemented among the 5 of us and among the mods.

It's difficult though as i'm sure you'll appreciate, to get it right so that they don't over-moderate. I don't think the swear filter is an option so it will be an amendment to the rules.

I'm sure they'll let us know when they have done their thing.

I completely disagree with the argument that it is being sung to highlight what happened. I've heard that before and it is not true at all.

Singing Big Jock Knew over and over again is not done to raise awareness of what happened. Everyone knows by now that Stein allegedly knew. It is being sung to wind up the Celtic fans. I won't accept any argument that it is raising awareness and trying to bring justice.

I also clearly don't believe that Rangers fans would wish for child abuse to happen to someone. However, I'm certain that a lot of people who sing the song are glad that it happened now just so they have another song to sing against their rivals.

They don't care about the victims; they care about winding up the Celtic fans. Simple as that.

I am not that daft to think that it is sung by the rangers fans for any other means than to wind up celtic supporters.

My point is people are hiding behind bigotry card to hide the facts.

Also as for the argument about people being daft because they hate celtic more is rubbish.

I just think that rangers are the lesser of two evils

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
You'll just have to trust me that they are trying to thrash this out and have been for the last week or so. You'll also have to trust me when I say that there is a will for this to be implemented among the 5 of us and among the mods.

It's difficult though as i'm sure you'll appreciate, to get it right so that they don't over-moderate. I don't think the swear filter is an option so it will be an amendment to the rules.

I'm sure they'll let us know when they have done their thing.

You have banned the name Steven Pressley with an h before so whats stopping you?

Over moderating - it's what Kickback does best.

(Not just you Cosa, you and your team)

You have banned the name Steven Pressley with an h before so whats stopping you?

Over moderating - it's what Kickback does best.

(Not just you Cosa, you and your team)

That's not down to me Al.

On that subject, you would not believe the number of complaints that the mods used to get on account of that superfluos "h".

Adding that to the swear filter saved the mods absolutely tons of hassle and seemed to be what people wanted.

It's incredibly hard to please everyone mate, we just do that best that we can.

Forgive me Cosa, I was finished on this subject. However, this isn't about pleasing anybody. We have a term which is still widely used on here which was deemed as sectarian by nil by mouth quite some considerable time ago. Like I said earlier, this isn't a new discussion.

I appreciate you coming on here and saying the moderating team are looking to do something about it and I hope they do soon, but the very fact it is still allowed and accepted on here now, is actually quite disturbing.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

On that subject, you would not believe the number of complaints that the mods used to get on account of that superfluos "h".

Adding that to the swear filter saved the mods absolutely tons of hassle and seemed to be what people wanted.

Fair enough bud.

F.A.O anyone who complained about that - you are an ersehole.

Forgive me Cosa, I was finished on this subject. However, this isn't about pleasing anybody. We have a term which is still widely used on here which was deemed as sectarian by nil by mouth quite some considerable time ago. Like I said earlier, this isn't a new discussion.

I appreciate you coming on here and saying the moderating team are looking to do something about it and I hope they do soon, but the very fact it is still allowed and accepted on here now, is actually quite disturbing.

Never thought of you as being on the offended bus mate!!! :xmasgrin: (just kidding)

That answer you quoted wasn't directed at you so i'm unsure why you quoted it.

Believe me mate, the changes will happen sooner rather than later.

Never thought of you as being on the offended bus mate!!! :xmasgrin: (just kidding)

New year, new person.

Mary_Whitehouse.jpg

:xmasgrin:

Guest S.U.S.S.

Ding Ding all aboard the sad loser nae mates bus! :xmaseye:

So what nil by mouth says goes?

What exactly is sectarian about the word hun?

Why any Hearts fan would want to sing a Rangers song is beyond me anyway. Like to think we as a collective are creative enough to think up our own chat.

Do you disagree with what nil by mouth stands for?

http://www.nilbymouth.org/history.htm

Sectarian language is commonly used in Scotland, with abusive terms such as "Hun" and "Orange *******" being used against Protestants and others such as "Fenian" and "Tim" used to persecute Catholics. This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as the divisions and conflict between the denominations.

Why any Hearts fan would want to sing a Rangers song is beyond me anyway. Like to think we as a collective are creative enough to think up our own chat.

Is it a 'Rangers' song? I had no idea.

What about the ''Celtic boys club......''? Can we claim that?

Guest S.U.S.S.

Good for the goose etc.

I'll wait and see how balanced the new approach is before commenting.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Your a big lad, look it up! you have the wonder of the internet to help you!

Rangers song, no, i dont think so but continue singing about the fields if you wish!:xmasgrin:

Do you disagree with what nil by mouth stands for?

http://www.nilbymouth.org/history.htm

Sectarian language is commonly used in Scotland, with abusive terms such as "Hun" and "Orange *******" being used against Protestants and others such as "Fenian" and "Tim" used to persecute Catholics. This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as the divisions and conflict between the denominations.

Is it a 'Rangers' song? I had no idea.

What about the ''Celtic boys club......''? Can we claim that?

Nope....still don't see what is sectarian about the expression "hun". I can understand fenian and orange ******* but not the 'h' word.

And it's a song invented by Rangers fans which is sung almost exclusively by Rangers fans.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Nope....still don't see what is sectarian about the expression "hun". I can understand fenian and orange ******* but not the 'h' word.

And it's a song invented by Rangers fans which is sung almost exclusively by Rangers fans.

Perhaps we should stop singing oh when the hearts go marching in. We never invented it and the original refers to the saints or St Mirren.

do you ever come down from your moral high horse? Come on its Christmas, slum it!:xmasgrin:

It seems you missed it in my previous post...Just for you, again, although shortened.

This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as the divisions and conflict between the denominations

It seems you missed it in my previous post...Just for you, again, although shortened.

This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as the divisions and conflict between the denominations

Ah right. So Nil By Mouth are just making up what they consider sectarian and rolling with it.

Their call I guess.

As was Sheriff Iain Peebles, It seems. His call I guess.

'HUN' is sectarian, as proved in court of law.

Celtic fan in court over T-shirt jibe

The Herald

A Celtic fan was arrested on the night of the Uefa Cup final for wearing a T-shirt that predicted Zenit St Petersburg's win over Rangers, a court heard yesterday.

Michael Devlin was spotted wearing the top, which had the words "dirty horrible huns" scrawled across the back, just minutes after the game in Manchester.

The top also had "Zenit St Petersburg, Champions Uefa Cup Final 2008" printed on the front. The 20-year-old was walking along Glasgow's Hillington Road South with friends when two police officers noticed the T-shirt and stopped him.

Sheriff Iain Peebles told Devlin: "This was an act of gross crassness and stupidity taking into account the timing and the place you were when wearing the T-shirt."

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, Devlin, of Gleddoch Road, Glasgow, was convicted of committing a religiously aggravated breach of the peace on May 14 this year.

The court heard that Devlin had been watching the game in a house with friends when the group decided to go out and get a takeaway at the end of the match.

Constable Andrew Gunn told the court he and his colleague were out on another call when they spotted the Celtic fan with a crowd of youths at around 10.10pm.

Mr Gunn said: "I informed him that the T-shirt was offensive and told him to take it off. He had a Celtic top on underneath. There were members of the public there and Rangers fans were walking along Paisley Road West nearby.

"There were no other difficulties, just that he was wearing that T-shirt."

Defence lawyer Bob Mackinnon told the court that the top was just a bit of "Glasgow banter".

He said: "From school to university to working life, almost everyone in Glasgow is affected by this divide and will get on the case of their friends and colleagues."

However, Sheriff Peebles told the court his decision was based purely on law. He deferred sentencing on Devlin until October next year for him to be of good behaviour.

I think the word should be censored, and am glad the mods are on it. We can't ignore what Nil By Mouth have concluded, or just pick and choose according to taste. I cringe when I see it used by posters as part of their attack on the "filthy, stinking Huns" too - the irony seems to completely pass them by.

Quite what's so difficult about calling Rangers "Rangers", and Celtic "Celtic", I really have no idea.

I think the word should be censored, and am glad the mods are on it. We can't ignore what Nil By Mouth have concluded, or just pick and choose according to taste. I cringe when I see it used by posters as part of their attack on the "filthy, stinking Huns" too - the irony seems to completely pass them by.

Quite what's so difficult about calling Rangers "Rangers", and Celtic "Celtic", I really have no idea.

I agree Shaun, this thread finds its roots in deep held bigotry.

They can make excuses and disguise it for their agenda, but in my mind it is all about bigotry.

Zero tolerance on bigotry should be the JKB norm. The problem with a sentence like that is the bigots will come out with "But they said" etc so we should respond.

Bigotry is one of the few things that spoil the board.

Somebody will have to pick me up off the floor when the double standards on this board are sorted out.

You can abuse Rangers/Protestants/Loyalists/Royalists/Unionists/Chelsea supporters till your green* in the face on here. Stand up for them or abuse anything that isn't in the above list and your pounced on.

*I say green in the face, 'cause if they went blue in the face, they'd punch themselves.

Lastly, the song about large John is to spread awareness and to wind up the Mhanks.

Patrick Bateman

Lastly, the song about large John is to spread awareness

Why? Torbett was convicted and Stein has been dead for 25 years. What does "spreading awareness" achieve? Why can't folk just admit that it's a bit of goading, not some morally just crusade.

Why? Torbett was convicted and Stein has been dead for 25 years. What does "spreading awareness" achieve? Why can't folk just admit that it's a bit of goading, not some morally just crusade.

You'll have to ask some one who sings it. :xmasgrin:

You can't spell Rangers without anger. FACT. END OFF.

As for C****c, I'll spell it any way I want, thanks.

:xmasgrin:

Sellik have a long history of sweeping things under the carpet and airbrushing history, aided and abetted by their press and media acolytes. The references to Large John and his awareness are a strong reminder that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated by wider society.

Ok, it's a bit of goading :xmasgrin:

But as per my previous posts, and the reasons outlined, I cannot see anything worng with it at all.

Somebody will have to pick me up off the floor when the double standards on this board are sorted out.

You can abuse Rangers/Protestants/Loyalists/Royalists/Unionists/Chelsea supporters till your green* in the face on here. Stand up for them or abuse anything that isn't in the above list and your pounced on.

*I say green in the face, 'cause if they went blue in the face, they'd punch themselves.

Lastly, the song about large John is to spread awareness and to wind up the Mhanks.

Oh, absolutely. It's 0% to spread awareness (performing a vital public duty, those neds who chant it relentlessly), and 100% to wind up Celtic. If you could only be honest and admit this, I'm sure we'd all get along just fine. :)

I've stood up for Chelsea on here before; I've never been pounced on for it. I've seen Commander Harris stick up for Rangers too - and nope, he's never been pounced on either. However, when the sole intention of one of more posters when bigging up Chelsea, the right to sing Follow Follow or Large John Was Aware, or slagging off Pressley or those who aren't 'real fans', is quite obviously to wind others up, then they get pounced on, and understandably so.

As I've said, I'm pleased the mods seem about to act on this obvious inconsistency. But in the last 24 hours or so, a Rangers fan has joined us. Seems like a decent guy thus far, so fair play to him. So I got to thinking: has there ever been a Celtic fan who's lasted more than a few hours on here? Fair enough if they were just on the windup - but is it even possible one could be accepted as brownbear largely has? If not, how come?

Oh, absolutely. It's 0% to spread awareness (performing a vital public duty, those neds who chant it relentlessly), and 100% to wind up Celtic. If you could only be honest and admit this, I'm sure we'd all get along just fine. :)

I've stood up for Chelsea on here before; I've never been pounced on for it. I've seen Commander Harris stick up for Rangers too - and nope, he's never been pounced on either. However, when the sole intention of one of more posters when bigging up Chelsea, the right to sing Follow Follow or Large John Was Aware, or slagging off Pressley or those who aren't 'real fans', is quite obviously to wind others up, then they get pounced on, and understandably so.

As I've said, I'm pleased the mods seem about to act on this obvious inconsistency. But in the last 24 hours or so, a Rangers fan has joined us. Seems like a decent guy thus far, so fair play to him. So I got to thinking: has there ever been a Celtic fan who's lasted more than a few hours on here? Fair enough if they were just on the windup - but is it even possible one could be accepted as brownbear largely has? If not, how come?

It's both as I said before. I will not move from this opinion either.

Not true. Without naming names, posters on here pounce as soon as they see anything that I listed in my previous post. I know who they are, and I'm sure others do too. I think they are worse than some on here who do wind people up occasionallly. At least with them you know they are on the wind up, the others seem to be very serious.

It is good to see a Rangers fan on here as we seem to have a wide variety of different opinion on here now. Dundee Hibernian, Motherwell, Mini-Sellick and sheep off the top of my head. If a Sellick fan came on here and respected the rules I don't see why he wouldn't be allowed to stay. There are many reasonable Sellick fans in the world, just seems that none have joined our board.

It's both as I said before. I will not move from this opinion either.

Not true. Without naming names, posters on here pounce as soon as they see anything that I listed in my previous post. I know who they are, and I'm sure others do too. I think they are worse than some on here who do wind people up occasionallly. At least with them you know they are on the wind up, the others seem to be very serious.

It is good to see a Rangers fan on here as we seem to have a wide variety of different opinion on here now. Dundee Hibernian, Motherwell, Mini-Sellick and sheep off the top of my head. If a Sellick fan came on here and respected the rules I don't see why he wouldn't be allowed to stay. There are many reasonable Sellick fans in the world, just seems that none have joined our board.

Who's our resident Motherwell fan, out of interest? And you do realise you've started copying, uh, 'Psychologist''s epithets for Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United? Surely you're smart enough to come up with your own, aren't you? ;)

Who's our resident Motherwell fan, out of interest? And you do realise you've started copying, uh, 'Psychologist''s epithets for Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United? Surely you're smart enough to come up with your own, aren't you? ;)

Was there not a Motherwell fan kicking about when the whole McGhee thing was going on? I could be wrong. I'm the only person who calls Aberdeen, sheep as far as I'm aware, the rest call them Aberceltic or sheep. As for the rest they are used by a lot of people on here.

Hope you have nice Xmas by the way. :xmasgrin:

Was there not a Motherwell fan kicking about when the whole McGhee thing was going on? I could be wrong. I'm the only person who calls Aberdeen, sheep as far as I'm aware, the rest call them Aberceltic or sheep. As for the rest they are used by a lot of people on here.

Compliments of the season to you too! :xmasgrin:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Poor banter IMO, same with calling Hibs anything similar.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the subject matter in itself, is bigoted. More that those who are into this sort of thing are going on about it to promote their own bigoted agenda.

While your point is spot on, the Sun link refers to "vile bigots" and George Galloway refers to "these disgusting bigots" in connection with the Big Jock Knew song/claims - so they seem to think it is inherently bigoted as subject matter. It clearly isn't.

As you rightly say though, it is something that has been clung onto by people with other agendas.

......getting back to the OP.

Certain Celtic fans (also known as (vic)tims, even to some of their own fans) are claiming 118 is being bigoted for telling the truth. It is a claim both sides of the divide use to help hide any inconvienient facts that do not fit with their respective version's of "factual" history.

As for NBM, while I would fully support their aims, I have no time for the way they go about it. I have friends who are Rangers fans, and who would happily describe themselves as Huns. I have friends who are Celtic fans, a d who would happily describe themselves as Tims.

NBM trying to get these words banned is just political correctness gone mad, and IMHO, will do absolutely nothing to reduce Bigotry in Scotland, just alienate (and criminalise ?) the very people they have to engage.

If we want to make a difference, let's start in primary schools (nondenominational ones!) teaching kids to respect each other, regardless of race, religion, football team, disability, etc, etc. But then, trying to get rid of denominational schools would make me an anti-catholic bigot in the eyes of some.

So let's not try to do anything that might work, let's just play at it by "banning" some fairly innocuous words, then pat ourselves on the back for a job well done. We can just ignore the fact that we might criminalise innocent people, and leave the real bigots to carry on regardless.

Fozzyonthefence

Out of interest, anyone know why "Hun" is deemed sectarian by NBM? Derogatory term for Rangers fans, yes, but how is it sectarian? I wasn't aware it was a term for any group of people of particular religion?

History lesson appreciated...

Archived