118-118 What did Big Jock Know?

duckandcover

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Gorgeous George's comments.

Stein would have bounced down the road to Brig'ton Polis Station if he had 'known'.

I think the article typifies just how childish the OF fans are, along with the Hokey ******ey outrage.

:eek:

You put your...

Stein would have bounced down the road to Brig'ton Polis Station if he had 'known'.

I suggest you check the transcript of the trial, or extracts thereof. :mw_rolleyes:

Colonel Kurtz
I suggest you check the transcript of the trial, or extracts thereof. :mw_rolleyes:

The evidence is based on a convicted man trying to deflect from the severity of his crimes.

Stein did have his skeleton in the cupboard which unfortunately was not uncommon amongst his generation or upbringing,but this is not it

The evidence is based on a convicted man trying to deflect from the severity of his crimes.

The evidence I'm referring to wasn't given by Torbett.

Am I the only one who is struggling to see how the subject manner is bigoted? I understand as well as the next man that Rangers fans are bigots of the highest order, but I am not sure how the inference that 'Big Jock Knew' can be classified as bigotry?

The People's Chimp

Stein did have his skeleton in the cupboard which unfortunately was not uncommon amongst his generation or upbringing,but this is not it

What was it then?

Am I the only one who is struggling to see how the subject manner is bigoted? I understand as well as the next man that Rangers fans are bigots of the highest order, but I am not sure how the inference that 'Big Jock Knew' can be classified as bigotry?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the subject matter in itself, is bigoted. More that those who are into this sort of thing are going on about it to promote their own bigoted agenda.

has anybody got a link to the hokey cokey story

That will be a nice wee song for the road to aberdeen

As per usual the sun jumps on the bandwagon in reality people know that it is people trying to hide behind the bigotry bandwagon.

Also the catholic church getting involved is a cheek. When they are the biggest set of bigots in the world.

I agree. There's nothing wrong in 118 118's response. The bigotry, though, tends to rear its head in those who like to loudly remind Celtic FC of this when their team is playing: it's not exactly because of their personal abhorrence of child abuse, sadly.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
I agree. There's nothing wrong in 118 118's response. The bigotry, though, tends to rear its head in those who like to loudly remind Celtic FC of this when their team is playing: it's not exactly because of their personal abhorrence of child abuse, sadly.

Maybe for some people, it's their personal abhorrence of Celtic FC, whether they are catholics or not?

Patrick Bateman

There are some people, including many Hearts "supporters" who have a disturbing fixation with this. Using child abuse to point score is Hibs fan-esque behaviour, but those responsible aren't intelligent enough to realise.

There are some people, including many Hearts "supporters" who have a disturbing fixation with this. Using child abuse to point score is Hibs fan-esque behaviour, but those responsible aren't intelligent enough to realise.

I disagree, I think it's quite funny. It's not really a fixation, it's just that football fans will always find something about their rival teams to poke fun at, and the worse the better, especially given my and many Hearts fans levels of hatred for Celtic. However, this by no means diminishes the seriousness of child abuse or indeed changes peoples mind's that such acts are abhorrent and the prepetrators should be strung up.

Is it any more acceptable to call the vermin fudge packers, or singing in your Glasgow slums to the Infirm? I reckon not, it's all quite funny in all honesty. :xmaswoot:

I disagree, I think it's quite funny. It's not really a fixation, it's just that football fans will always find something about their rival teams to poke fun at, and the worse the better, especially given my and many Hearts fans levels of hatred for Celtic. However, this by no means diminishes the seriousness of child abuse or indeed changes peoples mind's that such acts are abhorrent and the prepetrators should be strung up.

Is it any more acceptable to call the vermin fudge packers, or singing in your Glasgow slums to the Infirm? I reckon not, it's all quite funny in all honesty. :xmaswoot:

Your post doesn't make sense.

You start by saying that you find the Celtic child abuse case "quite funny" and then you go onto say how serious child abuse is.

It's either funny or it's not - or is it funny because it happened to Celtic?

Actually, it's never funny and it's incredibly sick using something like that to try to score points with other football fans.

Exactly.

I dont see how some peoples hatred for celtic makes them stupid ?

If celtic have something to tarnish there history why not bring it up ?

Every football fan in the world has something to slag there rivals off.

It may be something trivial or it may be something sick.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Dont you see, its not ok to add an h to a word or call someome a tim pathiser, but its ok to call someone a mini hun or a rangers sympathiser.

Such a confused board.

Your post doesn't make sense.

You start by saying that you find the Celtic child abuse case "quite funny" and then you go onto say how serious child abuse is.

It's either funny or it's not - or is it funny because it happened to Celtic?

Actually, it's never funny and it's incredibly sick using something like that to try to score points with other football fans.

Read my post very carefully and you will find that NOWHERE have I stated that I find THE CASE 'quite funny', and I find such accusations very offensive.

However, I do acknowledge that perhaps I didn't explain myself too well. What I was trying to convey is that child abuse is not funny, of course. However, I don't see that the song 'Big Jock Knew' is mocking child abuse per se, more that one of Celtic's managers knew it was going on and did nothing about it. It is mocking his inactivity rather than the actual act itself.

This being said, I find it quite funny more for the fact that I know it winds up Celtic fans so much and surely that can only be a good thing

Maybe for some people, it's their personal abhorrence of Celtic FC, whether they are catholics or not?

No doubt. In which case, out of respect for the victims, there are myriad other things they could do to demonstrate it instead of this chant.

I dont see how some peoples hatred for celtic makes them stupid ?

If celtic have something to tarnish there history why not bring it up ?

Every football fan in the world has something to slag there rivals off.

It may be something trivial or it may be something sick.

Bang on - and it's nowhere near as bad as the Sol Campbell song that Spurs trotted out at Pompy

No doubt. In which case, out of respect for the victims, there are myriad other things they could do to demonstrate it instead of this chant.

Indeed.

Read my post very carefully and you will find that NOWHERE have I stated that I find THE CASE 'quite funny', and I find such accusations very offensive.

However, I do acknowledge that perhaps I didn't explain myself too well. What I was trying to convey is that child abuse is not funny, of course. However, I don't see that the song 'Big Jock Knew' is mocking child abuse per se, more that one of Celtic's managers knew it was going on and did nothing about it. It is mocking his inactivity rather than the actual act itself.

This being said, I find it quite funny more for the fact that I know it winds up Celtic fans so much and surely that can only be a good thing

The song 'Big Jock Knew' is celebrating the fact that there was child abuse at Celtic and that Stein allegedly knew about it.

People are clearly glad it happened as it gives them something to give another team abuse about it.

But not necessarily having the same impact, which is the whole point of winding up the opposition, within reason of course

Dont you see, its not ok to add an h to a word or call someome a tim pathiser, but its ok to call someone a mini hun or a rangers sympathiser.

Such a confused board.

What's that got to with this subject?

Any way, as for the point you just made - watch this space. That will be changing soon I think.

The song 'Big Jock Knew' is celebrating the fact that there was child abuse at Celtic and that Stein allegedly knew about it.

People are clearly glad it happened as it gives them something to give another team abuse about it.

Really? Is there another version that I haven't heard then?

I was under the impression that the title of the song was 'Big Jock Knew', and the only three words, repeated ad naseum were 'Big Jock Knew'? That to me doesn't indicate to me anything other than mocking the fact that he supposedly knew, not celebrating child abuse at Celtic?

That about sums it up.

The look of delight on the face of neds who sing that song says it all for me.

But not necessarily having the same impact, which is the whole point of winding up the opposition, within reason of course

And IMO, this crosses the bounds of reason I'm afraid.

Patrick Bateman
That about sums it up.

The look of delight on the face of neds who sing that song says it all for me.

It isn't just the delight, it's that they're convinced that there's been some sort of cover-up by the "mhedia" as though it was a crusade for justice. Despite the fact Torbett was jailed.

I just see it as certain elements of our support wanting to emulate the red, white and blue bigots because they feel some sort of disturbing, servile affiliation to them.

Really? Is there another version that I haven't heard then?

I was under the impression that the title of the song was 'Big Jock Knew', and the only three words, repeated ad naseum were 'Big Jock Knew'? That to me doesn't indicate to me anything other than mocking the fact that he supposedly knew, not celebrating child abuse at Celtic?

I'm sure there is a bit that goes 'he ****ed them too' but they are the only words other than Big Jock Knew.

That is irrelevant though. Everyone knows what the song means and clearly the people who sing it are celebrating the child abuse. Why else would they sing it? Same goes for 'Who ****ed all the boys' and 'Sit down you paedophiles'. It is odd seeing guys sing those songs when they are at the game with their kids.

I'm sure there is a bit that goes 'he ****ed them too' but they are the only words other than Big Jock Knew.

That is irrelevant though. Everyone knows what the song means and clearly the people who sing it are celebrating the child abuse. Why else would they sing it? Same goes for 'Who ****ed all the boys' and 'Sit down you paedophiles'. It is odd seeing guys sing those songs when they are at the game with their kids.

I understand what you are saying and other posters such as Cosa, but is everyone not taking this a little too seriously? And let me clarify here, I AM NOT SAYING THAT CHILD ABUSE IS TRIVIAL!

I admit to having sung the song (I was actually singing it in a pub in London after the Celtic game) and I am in no way a ned, chav, bigot, nor do I take great delight in revelling in people who have suffered from other people's actions. I happen to think I am a fairly well rounded (in size and personality!), intelligent guy, with a decent job and family life. It is a song, it is comparable to 'Oh The Hibees Are Gay' in my opinion, neither set of supporters are entirely made up of child abusers or homosexuals, so where is the offence?

When I sing it am I celebrating the fact events at CBC occurred? No

Why else would I sing it? Because it makes me laugh that Celtic hate it so much

I P Knightley

In both posts you make it sound as though the Rangers fans are glad that children were abused.

I think the reality is a bit more of a trek round the houses. I doubt strongly that any of them would wish abuse on children of any creed or colour.

However, it happened prominently among their biggest rivals and they have made hay while the sun was shining (*immediately regrets using the word 'hay'*)

It's unpleasant and the Rangers fans are unpleasant. Celtic fans are unpleasant, too, when they sing their Republican songs.

FWIW, I think this chant should be consigned to the dustbin. At the same time, I don't find the Famine song at all repulsive.

Stanley it was a very bad incident that should have never been allowed to happen we all agree on that.

The thing is this song being sung is not out of delight it is sung to highlight the fact that it did actually happen

Therefore not pandering down to the people who would have it swept under the carpet.

My belief is if more of these things where seen in a public light then maybe they would not be seen as such a taboo.

Things such as domestic abuse as well would you slag people off for singing a song about a wife beater ?

Stupid Sexy Flanders
It isn't just the delight, it's that they're convinced that there's been some sort of cover-up by the "mhedia" as though it was a crusade for justice. Despite the fact Torbett was jailed.

I just see it as certain elements of our support wanting to emulate the red, white and blue bigots because they feel some sort of disturbing, servile affiliation to them.

I can assure you I don't, and that it is entirely possible to hate Celtic without harbouring any positive feeling whatsoever towards Rangers.

There are two myths that are perpetuated (sp?) by the OF / media in this country. One is that anything anti-Celtic automatically equals anti-Catholic, and the other is that if you hate one more than the other, that means you must secretly support the other.

Neither of these is true. Sadly, a lot of non-OF fans now believe them.

Patrick Bateman

The thing is this song being sung is not out of delight it is sung to highlight the fact that it did actually happen

Therefore not pandering down to the people who would have it swept under the carpet.

Yes, just as Man City fans are right to remind United fans that there was ice on the runway at Munich. A truly noble pursuit that deserves more recognition.

Stanley it was a very bad incident that should have never been allowed to happen we all agree on that.

My belief is if more of these things where seen in a public light then maybe they would not be seen as such a taboo.

Things such as domestic abuse as well would you slag people off for singing a song about a wife beater ?

I completely disagree with the argument that it is being sung to highlight what happened. I've heard that before and it is not true at all.

Singing Big Jock Knew over and over again is not done to raise awareness of what happened. Everyone knows by now that Stein allegedly knew. It is being sung to wind up the Celtic fans. I won't accept any argument that it is raising awareness and trying to bring justice.

I also clearly don't believe that Rangers fans would wish for child abuse to happen to someone. However, I'm certain that a lot of people who sing the song are glad that it happened now just so they have another song to sing against their rivals.

They don't care about the victims; they care about winding up the Celtic fans. Simple as that.

Yes, just as Man City fans are right to remind United fans that there was ice on the runway at Munich. A truly noble pursuit that deserves more recognition.

You would have to be very niave to realise there is not two sieds to the coin.

you surely see my point though ?

Somebody give this man a prize. Most sensible post so far.

People don't seem to understand that there's a difference between hating Celtic and being bigoted.

The more that gets the Celtic supporters all hot under the collar the better as far as I'm concerned.

Of course it's not in the best possible taste, but whilst at a football match involving Heart of Midlothian and Celtic, nothing much ever is.

FTC.

The more that gets the Celtic supporters all hot under the collar the better as far as I'm concerned.

Of course it's not in the best possible taste, but whilst at a football match involving Heart of Midlothian and Celtic, nothing much ever is.

FTC.

Exactly a good point as well apart from anything else it winds those smelly tramps up

Somebody give this man a prize. Most sensible post so far.

People don't seem to understand that there's a difference between hating Celtic and being bigoted.

I agree with your point but people also don't seem to understand that there is a difference between objecting to certain songs and being part of the "PC Brigade"/loving Celtic. Not aiming this at you in particular but it is irritating on here when someone says something against a song and are immediately called PC.

Before the Aberdeen game, could somebody who knows the politically correct way to behave tell me if we can still question the parentage of Aberdeen supporters while accusing them of having sexual congress with certain rural animals. Or is it only the two provincial teams in the west who are protected against and take offence at such abuse?

After this hokey-cokey thing I'm just not sure anymore!

Archived