Levein.....again!

iainmac

Yet another pop at the club, SoH and a veiled attack on Gary Mackay in the Herald today.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2474923.0.Levein_fighting_the_united_corner.php

In this article he says that "he can't keep his mouth shut" - I think it's time that he did with regard to HMFC. He's managing the next team we play at home but this is the 2nd article where he goes on about his old mate CPR and the alleged "treatment" he got from the Hearts fans.

The article is called "Levein Fighting The United Corner" just in case anyone had any doubts where his loyalties now lie.

He comes across as if he is beyond reproach and it's clear that he can't take any sort of criticism, even from his own fans - but Graeme Hogg could have told you that.

Let's get it right up his team on 20th.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

That doesn't look like a pop at Hearts to me. He's saying it's unacceptable that Chris Robinson was attacked. Whatever we think of him there's no doubt that's true.

Also, a lot of the stuff he says about Scottish football and media pundits is bang on the money.

I agree Iain.

Earlier this evening I was just saying to Mrs S that I was becoming a tad disallusioned with Craig - he's become a rent a quote.

Lets be quite clear about this: Craig's priority is, and always has been Craig. Gary MacKay on the other hand is one of us, part of our family.

Craig should concentrate on his curent role, and leave comments on Hearts to people who truly care about our club.

Guest juvehearts
Yet another pop at the club, SoH and a veiled attack on Gary Mackay in the Herald today.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2474923.0.Levein_fighting_the_united_corner.php

In this article he says that "he can't keep his mouth shut" - I think it's time that he did with regard to HMFC. He's managing the next team we play at home but this is the 2nd article where he goes on about his old mate CPR and the alleged "treatment" he got from the Hearts fans.

The article is called "Levein Fighting The United Corner" just in case anyone had any doubts where his loyalties now lie.

He comes across as if he is beyond reproach and it's clear that he can't take any sort of criticism, even from his own fans - but Graeme Hogg could have told you that.

Humm A national newspaper, good articale tho BTW. still a Jambo, but so is Ewan Cameron, Kannae tar everyone with the same brush that has something to say about Hearts at this time, remember he has more experiance about this club than you ever will have, unless youre a current/former player

juve

That doesn't look like a pop at Hearts to me. He's saying it's unacceptable that Chris Robinson was attacked. Whatever we think of him there's no doubt that's true.

Also, a lot of the stuff he says about Scottish football and media pundits is bang on the money.

ROUND 5 - The Jambos. "I think they are in a worse state now than they were under Chris Robinson.

That sounds like a pop at HMFC to me - quite what it's got to do with a rival manager, I have no idea. He goes on about a "civilised society" but didn't think twice about using his fists when it suited him.

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Humm A national newspaper, good articale tho BTW. still a Jambo, but so is Ewan Cameron, Kannae tar everyone with the same brush that has something to say about Hearts at this time, remember he has more experiance about this club than you ever will have, unless youre a current/former player

juve

If you actually believe that EC is a Jambo...........:xmaswoot:

ROUND 5 - The Jambos. "I think they are in a worse state now than they were under Chris Robinson.

That sounds like a pop at HMFC to me - quite what it's got to do with a rival manager, I have no idea. He goes on about a "civilised society" but didn't think twice about using his fists when it suited him.

A pop? God, people see attacks everywhere these days. It's just his opinion, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, rival manager or not. If you don't agree with it then just ignore it.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

How is that a pop? It's just his opinion. It's not even criticism of Hearts, the club. And even if it was, why can't we handle people asking these questions given some of the strange crap that's gone at at Tynie over the past three years.

When did we become so sensitive? When did we develop this wimpish bubble that makes us completely unable to tolerate anybody (even a great former Hearts player and good former manager) asking questions about the direction the club's taking?

We're like the equivalent of that thug in the pub that stoats around asking everybody he sees "are you lookin' at ma burd?"

loveofthegame

Under Chris Robinson we were tinkering on the edge of oblivion. A move to Murrayfield would have been the beginning of the end imo.

Under VR, if reports are true, we are again perhaps tinkering on the edge- certainly not in a worse position if you ask me. Maybe similar, but thats only if hearsay rumours are correct.

I am as far from being a vlad-sheep as you can be but Levein is talking out his arse. For someone whos meant to be a Jambo he loves having a go. Comes across as very bitter to me.

Mackay on the othe hand is 1 of us, a diehard who happened to be quality at football and live the dream. I know which of the 2 i prefer.

A pop? God, people see attacks everywhere these days. It's just his opinion, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, rival manager or not. If you don't agree with it then just ignore it.

Or.......I could express my opinion, if that's OK with you?

Or.......I could express my opinion, if that's OK with you?

That's perfectly fine with me darling. I was just expressing mine. :xmascrazy:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Craig Levein has a point about protesting at Chris Robinson's house.

As for his dig at Gary Mackay, given that GM took a swipe at Craig Levein in his book, I'm sure he'll be big enough to take any criticism that comes his way.

Craig has been “quoted” time and again recently commenting on the Hearts.

Lets not forget how good the Hearts were to Craig when he was seriously injured, not once but twice.

Lets not forget that at a time when as manager he was tasked with reducing our budget he still had the highest wage bill in Scotland outwith the OF.

Lets not forget that he walked out on us before an important Euro tie – for a nomark club ffs

Good player? Yes, but just good not brilliant; Good manager? Yes perhaps; Hearts man? I’m not sure

He certainly does not have the right to comment adversely on what Hearts fans did to save the Hearts from Robinson, Imo. We’re still here, he cut and ran at the first option.

Guest juvehearts
If you actually believe that EC is a Jambo...........:xmaswoot:

He had a ST in the Wheatfield (Sec B row 60 when he was at Scot FM

Juve

Juve

Up in the sky. I'm in Sec B Row 30 and there is nobody behind me as it is the back row.

Juve

60 rows in the Wheatfield Stand? QED. :xmaswoot:

Guest S.U.S.S.

Wonder if he will shack up with the tart he was boffing before he ****ed off for a one nighter?

It's a great article about a true football man, whose thoughts are a pleasure to read. He discusses various topics, hardly just Hearts - and one thing we're all apt to forget is, in life, there are different shades of opinion because everyone has a different, unique perspective. The perspective of some is he should shut his gob and should've been on 'the fans' side' at the time of the protests; but Craig's perspective, naturally enough, is he was just trying to get on with his job as head coach, the protests made this more difficult, and of course, he'll have seen at first hand how personal things became.

One of the reasons Jim Jefferies was and probably always will be more popular amongst Hearts supporters is, in his latter days here, he took 'the fans' side' against Robinson. Why? Because it suited him to do so: he felt frustrated and stymied by losing his best players and being forced to cut back. Levein's position was different because he embraced the more austere times, and enjoyed a much better relationship with his Chairman.

I can quite understand why Levein's latest comments have annoyed Iain so much: SOH acted as they did because the club's very existence was under threat. But then, I know Iain himself was appalled when Robinson was physically attacked; and however unpalatable it may be for me to say, events may prove that we took the wrong action at the time. If you were to ask me now, with the benefit of hindsight, whether it was right to force Robinson out and implacably oppose the move to Murrayfield, I would still categorically say "yes" - but others, especially onlookers within football, may feel differently, simply because of where we are or appear to be now. And that Robinson attracted such opprobrium - even years earlier when we'd just won the Cup and he merely wanted to change the club badge - while Vlad has essentially got off scot free despite all that he's done is something which continues to bemuse many: not least Craig Levein.

Marooned In Oz
Wonder if he will shack up with the tart he was boffing before he ****ed off for a one nighter?

Deary me... What the **** has that got to do with football?

At the end of the day I agree with everything the man says in that article.

The abuse directed at "the pieman" from the personal attacks his family suffered at the hands of hearts "fans" to the physical abuse that was inflicted on him personally.

Craig Levein at least has some sort of spine, but having said that I'm very pleased with Csaba and am loving his approach to the game in Scotland.

He's right about the negativity too. Andy Driver has several great games in a hearts shirt yet there is hardly any threads praising him. AS soon as he drops a bit of form the knives are out and there are 500 threads wondering what's happened to him and asking for him to be shipped out "NOT GOOD ENOUGH IMO!!!@!@!"

Get behind the team, no more scapegoats. Steven Simmons, Calum Elliot, Robbie Neilson, Saulius Mikoliunus, Marius Zaliukas, Andrius Velicka, JAmie Mole, Christian Nade just to name a few have all been the target of vitriol by bitter supporters who love to havea moan. Granted a few of those names haven't been good enough but maybe if we got behind them a bit more they could have made something of themselves.

If he carries on this way he's only going to discredit himself. It's one thing being refreshingly honest and quite another to be the man who has a controversial comment to make about any given subject.

I think he makes some very good points but they end up getting a bit lost in the whole 'get me, I'm Mr Angry' thing that he has going on. He's like a bear with a sore head and it wouldn't surprise me if the press eventually get bored of poking him with a sharp stick and find reason to ridicule his behaviour instead.

I feel more disappointed than angry. He probably has a point about the threats and such like, but why say any of it now? What good is it going to do anyone?

Charlie-Brown

Craig Levein was very LUCKY to have any Hearts career after the events at Starks Park, not only did his actions get himself and a team-mate sent off but as club captain he shamed and embarrassed himself and the club, not only that he put Hogg out of action for about 2 months and then because of his actions both Hogg & Levein got a 10 or 12 game ban from the SFA meaning the club were without 2 first team players for almost 3 months, then despite Levein being the perpetrator it was Hogg who had to leave the club not Levein.............Craig was a great player and manager for Hearts however Hearts did just as much for him over the years and regards his injuries and the unsavoury Starks Park incident he is indebted to the club.

If he carries on this way he's only going to discredit himself. It's one thing being refreshingly honest and quite another to be the man who has a controversial comment to make about any given subject.

I think he makes some very good points but they end up getting a bit lost in the whole 'get me, I'm Mr Angry' thing that he has going on. He's like a bear with a sore head and it wouldn't surprise me if the press eventually get bored of poking him with a sharp stick and find reason to ridicule his behaviour instead.

I feel more disappointed than angry. He probably has a point about the threats and such like, but why say any of it now? What good is it going to do anyone?

Frankly, what's the difference? One man (or woman!)'s "refreshingly honest" is another's "controversial comment" - normally because they don't like home truths being uttered. We loved his honesty when he lambasted Dougie McDonald and refused to pay the fine which followed - now, because he says some things we're uncomfortable with, "he's only going to discredit himself"? Personally, I'm sick to death of the platitudes perenially offered by football managers everywhere: good for him for having the bollocks to call things as he sees them.

How is that a pop? It's just his opinion. It's not even criticism of Hearts, the club. And even if it was, why can't we handle people asking these questions given some of the strange crap that's gone at at Tynie over the past three years.

When did we become so sensitive? When did we develop this wimpish bubble that makes us completely unable to tolerate anybody (even a great former Hearts player and good former manager) asking questions about the direction the club's taking?

We're like the equivalent of that thug in the pub that stoats around asking everybody he sees "are you lookin' at ma burd?"

.........timing perchance ?

Frankly, what's the difference? One man (or woman!)'s "refreshingly honest" is another's "controversial comment" - normally because they don't like home truths being uttered. We loved his honesty when he lambasted Dougie McDonald and refused to pay the fine which followed - now, because he says some things we're uncomfortable with, "he's only going to discredit himself"? Personally, I'm sick to death of the platitudes perenially offered by football managers everywhere: good for him for having the bollocks to call things as he sees them.

Morning Shaun

Morning to you too! :)

Quite a decent debate this.

I've always liked Levein, but question the timing of his outspoken opinions when we are contesting with Utd for 3rd spot.

A leaf out of the OF book perhaps ?

Charlie-Brown

A bit naughty of Levein to insinuate that Robinson only sold because of the way he was treated / abused by fans when the truth is CPR sold because Romanov matched the share price he was looking for and held out for months until he got this which gave Robinson a very tidy sum and a plot at Archerfield......

rudi must stay
Craig has been ?quoted? time and again recently commenting on the Hearts.

Lets not forget how good the Hearts were to Craig when he was seriously injured, not once but twice.

Lets not forget that at a time when as manager he was tasked with reducing our budget he still had the highest wage bill in Scotland outwith the OF.

Lets not forget that he walked out on us before an important Euro tie ? for a nomark club ffs

Good player? Yes, but just good not brilliant; Good manager? Yes perhaps; Hearts man? I?m not sure

He certainly does not have the right to comment adversely on what Hearts fans did to save the Hearts from Robinson, Imo. We?re still here, he cut and ran at the first option.

i think the fact he has such strong opinions about the club, tell you he is a Hearts man. He is entitled to those opinions imo he spent his entire career here and did a very good job of being manager

Quite a decent debate this.

I've always liked Levein, but question the timing of his outspoken opinions when we are contesting with Utd for 3rd spot.

A leaf out of the OF book perhaps ?

Perhaps - but he opines about a whole range of different things in the article. I also think it's possible - just possible - that if Levein believes HMFC is headed for deep trouble, he thinks it's in our best interests to keep publicising as much. The man has a lot of integrity, and such an explanation would make perfect sense to me. It's only a possibility, though.

I'm not remotely uncomfortable with any of it, why would I be? I actually agree with him. But when every single thing becomes a matter for great emphasis, criticism and controversy, it stops looking all that honest and becomes more of a pantomime performance.

You have sycophantic platitudes at one end of the scale, but you have pantomime ranting at the other. Both are irritating.

i think the fact he has such strong opinions about the club, tell you he is a Hearts man. He is entitled to those opinions imo he spent his entire career here and did a very good job of being manager

IMO Craigy is a Hearts man, but he's got another job at this particular time.

I'm not remotely uncomfortable with any of it, why would I be? I actually agree with him. But when every single thing becomes a matter for great emphasis, criticism and controversy, it stops looking all that honest and becomes more of a pantomime performance.

You have sycophantic platitudes at one end of the scale, but you have pantomime ranting at the other. Both are irritating.

Oh no they aren't! (and I apologise profusely for that). :xmasgrin:

A bit naughty of Levein to insinuate that Robinson only sold because of the way he was treated / abused by fans when the truth is CPR sold because Romanov matched the share price he was looking for and held out for months until he got this which gave Robinson a very tidy sum and a plot at Archerfield......

True - but I doubt he'd have been able to hold out much longer in any case. In the article in the Record about the recent court case he and his wife won, it mentioned that he began planning a five-year exit strategy back in 2000 after JJ left: I honestly think he'd been planning to go for a while, but that the protests and Romanov's appearance on the scene forced things to a head, and naturally so.

Sorry mate. I left school in 4th year. Didn't do English higher.:xmasgrin:

Sorry mate. I left school in 4th year. Didn't do English higher.:xmasgrin:

It means arse licking mate.

Where are the 'pantomine rants' in what he's said - especially given you agree with it anyway? He actually does anything but rant most of the time: his comments following that scandal of a game at Ibrox late last season were all the more powerful because they were so carefully considered.

rudi must stay
IMO Craigy is a Hearts man, but he's got another job at this particular time.

there's nothing wrong with him saying his thoughts about the game though. Especially if he's talking about a team that he was with for his entire career

there's nothing wrong with him saying his thoughts about the game though. Especially if he's talking about a team that he was with for his entire career

Agreed,..........except for the Cowdenbeath part.:xmasgrin:

Where are the 'pantomine rants' in what he's said - especially given you agree with it anyway? He actually does anything but rant most of the time: his comments following that scandal of a game at Ibrox late last season were all the more powerful because they were so carefully considered.

Shaun - if he wasn't being controversial and having a go, that article would never have been written, never mind printed. He's in the paper because he's making digs...

Charlie-Brown

I like Craig Levein and rate him highly and he speaks well and is a Hearts man and Hearts minded as far as I'm concerned however his comments last week & this week don't seem to me to fall into the category of high minded concern for Hearts but rather are an extension of some publicised personal issues between Levein & certain SOH members / ex-team-mate etc....

Shaun - if he wasn't being controversial and having a go, that article would never have been written, never mind printed. He's in the paper because he's making digs...

No - he's in the paper because the press spin anything honest as a dig. All part of the culture we live in.

No - he's in the paper because the press spin anything honest as a dig. All part of the culture we live in.

Oh come on! Do you really believe that?

His quotes need little spin, their intention and tone is pretty clear. Look at them as standalone comments, it makes no difference imho. They're digs.

Oh come on! Do you really believe that?

His quotes need little spin, their intention and tone is pretty clear. Look at them as standalone comments, it makes no difference imho. They're digs.

They're honest opinions. Sometimes they're about individuals, sometimes they're about broader issues. :)

Charlie-Brown

Levein's Hearts comments last week & this week are digs at SOH / G.MacKay.and are probably retaliation in Levein's opinion to some of MacKay's comments......it's becoming quite sad to see this petty fued carried out in public and neither are the innocent party in my opinion.

Archived