CRAIG LEVEIN ON RADIO SCOTLAND

Guest jambomickey

I like Craig Levein - always have and probably always will.

As for the above..........

Spot on.

We are due them a doing.

I know you do.

However, he's managing a rival SPL team and the best way we can 'thank' him is by turning his mob over when they come to Tynecastle. They will probably be our biggest challengers for 3rd if we keep our form going and nothing would give me greater pleasure than Levein leaving empty handed on 20th December. Would get the Xmas night out off to a flier too.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drylaw Hearts

However, he's managing a rival SPL team and the best way we can 'thank' him is by turning his mob over when they come to Tynecastle. They will probably be our biggest challengers for 3rd if we keep our form going and nothing would give me greater pleasure than Levein leaving empty handed on 20th December. Would get the Xmas night out off to a flier too.

No arguement from me.

:)

so if you wanted someone who is totally committed to a club ... would you not feel a bit uneasy the the manager you are wanting would leave a club so easy when there was such a important game ahead

No - because the same goes for managers everywhere. Because of finance, and the potential of playing in the EPL, Leicester was a step up, which he naturally took. It's Scotland's curse in a way to border the home of the world's most lucrative league: it means managers will always get poached down south, and Scotland will always be stuck comparing itself with it.

I like Levein, and always will - but I do at least know what you're getting at, ando. I love JJ, because his Heart is so strongly with the club, even to the point whereby he put us before his career. In Summer 1998, his stock was at its highest: Sheffield Wednesday, then a solid EPL club, wanted him, and Everton were sniffing around too. FourFourTwo named him as the second brightest young British manager, clearly destined for big things - but he could never have left us. That's admirable; but professionally, it wasn't at all smart, and he's never been the same since. Jefferies' ambitions were bigger than we were capable of; Levein recognised he'd taken us as far as he could, so left.

No - because the same goes for managers everywhere. Because of finance, and the potential of playing in the EPL, Leicester was a step up, which he naturally took. It's Scotland's curse in a way to border the home of the world's most lucrative league: it means managers will always get poached down south, and Scotland will always be stuck comparing itself with it.

I like Levein, and always will - but I do at least know what you're getting at, ando. I love JJ, because his Heart is so strongly with the club, even to the point whereby he put us before his career. In Summer 1998, his stock was at its highest: Sheffield Wednesday, then a solid EPL club, wanted him, and Everton were sniffing around too. FourFourTwo named him as the second brightest young British manager, clearly destined for big things - but he could never have left us. That's admirable; but professionally, it wasn't at all smart, and he's never been the same since. Jefferies' ambitions were bigger than we were capable of; Levein recognised he'd taken us as far as he could, so left.

but his committment to HMFC might have took us that bit further in the eufa

if he had stayed

CL can GTF, a once well respected Jambo who was always welcome, is now opening his gob about the club he professes to still love, utter nonsense CL is interested in only one thing thats CL. He dumped us on the eve of a major European game to run down south with his tail (Maybe something else as well) between his legs because he was nailing a bit on the side. He knew the proverbial was about to hit the fan with his missus etc and did a runner pure and simple, Leicester was his escape.

He is now manager of who I would see as our main rivals/contenders for 3rd place, he has and will continue to use his time at Hearts to have a pop at us and try to unsettle both the team and fans because it will benefit him and Dundee Utd. He being a manager of a club in the same league has no right talking about Hearts, just the same as you don't hear any other managers talking about other teams unless it is purely from a footballing perspective. Any manager that is ever asked about another team that is non footballing will always respectfully reply with "Thats somethng you would have to ask their manager/Owner" or something along those lines.

For anyone to suggest CL walked away because of Romanov is either completely delluded or so anti romanov they fail to see anything else. Romanov was barely even in the door quite literally, there is no way on this earth could CL have envisaged anything that would have gone on with VR. Correct me if im wrong VR didnt even have the full amount of shares at this point.

To be honest CL went down in my estimations of him when he run away at the time because he left us in the brown stuff, all this talk now is only making him sink even lower now. Which is a real shame as he WAS a great servant to Hearts at one point

:thumb:

Don't get this whole, 'Levein is one of us' talk.

Don't get me wrong, he was probably the finest player I have ever seen wearing maroon, however his comments during the SOH campaign particularly peshed me off, he then left us on the eve of a huge European tie, yeah he had personal issues, but if he was 'One of us' that could have been put aside for 48 hours. If he was No1 choice for Leicester, I'm sure a couple of days wouldn't have made any odds.

I know that's what I (a Hearts man) would have done.

Craig Levein looks after Craig Levein.

but his committment to HMFC might have took us that bit further in the eufa

if he had stayed

It might've done. Never forget, though, that he got us there in the first place: it was no certainty at all that we'd recover on the park when JJ left, but we did - thanks mainly to Levein. Don't get me wrong - I was bloody frustrated when he left - but still wished him well given the job he'd done.

I don't understand the criticism Levein gets for going to Leicester. He thought that was his best chance of managing in the premiership so he went for it. As it turns out, it didn't work out.

Whenever Levein talks about Hearts its clear that he is still very much a Hearts man - what comes across loud and clear to me, is that much as he's doing a good job at United, he is quite frustrated because he knows that they'll never be as big a club as Hearts. In a very good season by their standards, they are bringing in crowds of 6-7000.

Don't get this whole, 'Levein is one of us' talk.

Don't get me wrong, he was probably the finest player I have ever seen wearing maroon, however his comments during the SOH campaign particularly peshed me off, he then left us on the eve of a huge European tie, yeah he had personal issues, but if he was 'One of us' that could have been put aside for 48 hours. If he was No1 choice for Leicester, I'm sure a couple of days wouldn't have made any odds.

I know that's what I (a Hearts man) would have done.

Craig Levein looks after Craig Levein.

Spot on JF - CL knew he was joining Leicester 3 weeks before he alerted Hearts. I had an interesting chat with an ex-manager and various ex-players in The Diggers after a recent book launch. A certain game at Dens came up in conversation and CL was left nameless - not universally popular amongst his former colleagues apparently.

Guest jambomickey
It might've done. Never forget, though, that he got us there in the first place: it was no certainty at all that we'd recover on the park when JJ left, but we did - thanks mainly to Levein. Don't get me wrong - I was bloody frustrated when he left - but still wished him well given the job he'd done.

spot on!

but his job was to do the best for HMFC

CL was a great player for HMFC and HMFC looked after CL through 2 horrific injuries as well as giving an unknown manager his first 'big' break in football management.

I think we're even.

I think CL does have respect for Hearts as an institution but he has greater respect for the career of CL. He did have a good relationship with CPR and clearly didn't fancy VR for whatever reason. I think Craig resented SOH as it interfered with his plans to build a team with Gary Mackay calling for a boycott of season tickets and the SOH protests in the stadium undermining the team ( in his opinion ).

I agreed with CL re the season tickets but that's by the by.

Guest jambomickey
Spot on JF - CL knew he was joining Leicester 3 weeks before he alerted Hearts. I had an interesting chat with an ex-manager and various ex-players in The Diggers after a recent book launch. A certain game at Dens came up in conversation and CL was left nameless - not universally popular amongst his former colleagues apparently.

every player/manager looks after no1, do you think our oresent owner cares about hearts? he just wants to do what's best for himself and doesn't give a sheet about us

I think CL does have respect for Hearts as an institution but he has greater respect for the career of CL. He did have a good relationship with CPR and clearly didn't fancy VR for whatever reason. I think Craig resented SOH as it interfered with his plans to build a team with Gary Mackay calling for a boycott of season tickets and the SOH protests in the stadium undermining the team ( in his opinion ).

I agreed with CL re the season tickets but that's by the by.

...then SOH changed our stance on the STs and Gary retracted.

...then SOH changed our stance on the STs and Gary retracted.

I'll read more about that in your autobiography Iain. :cool_shades:

Large squad in the Tynecastle Arms yesterday - you should have dropped in, said "hello".

Iainmac - I was up at the Orwell every week for the SOH meetings. I know several of the guys involved in that campaign.

I feel I am being consistent with my treatment of owners who are badly managing - others, however, were vociferous in calling for the removal of Robinson but are dismissive of the notion of protesting against Romanov. I can't understand why. Robinson at least communicated with the fans and released statements - we didn't agree with him but at least he communicated. Therefore, the big difference must be Tynie - perhaps you can clarify for me? While I was totally against selling Tynie at the time, far bigger clubs than us have moved and thrived as a result....but there has to be a plan.

Guest jambomickey
Iainmac - I was up at the Orwell every week for the SOH meetings. I know several of the guys involved in that campaign.

I feel I am being consistent with my treatment of owners who are badly managing - others, however, were vociferous in calling for the removal of Robinson but are dismissive of the notion of protesting against Romanov. I can't understand why. Robinson at least communicated with the fans and released statements - we didn't agree with him but at least he communicated. Therefore, the big difference must be Tynie - perhaps you can clarify for me? While I was totally against selling Tynie at the time, far bigger clubs than us have moved and thrived as a result....but there has to be a plan.

romanov has got away with murder.

CL was a great player for HMFC and HMFC looked after CL through 2 horrific injuries as well as giving an unknown manager his first 'big' break in football management.

I think we're even.

I agree: I think Hearts were equally as good for Levein as Levein was for Hearts. One thing though: I don't know the whys and wherefores, but would assume Hearts looked after him essentially because he was such a brilliant player? I doubt it was purely out of altruistic motives, if you see what I mean?

Enzo, I don't think people are dismissive about protesting against Romanov at all. We had clear evidence that CPR was killing the club and selling the only real asset that we had galvanised a section of the support to take action. That particular campaign took it's toll on all of us who were involved, hence the reluctance to go down that road again.

If others were to take up the cause however...........

You asked where are SOH? SOH could easily ask, "where is Enzo?" 15 or so activists were heading to Motherwell yesterday when the game was called off so we had a good old "session" in the Tynie Arms. We just want to watch our beloved team these days..

Guest jambomickey
I agree: I think Hearts were equally as good for Levein as Levein was for Hearts. One thing though: I don't know the whys and wherefores, but would assume Hearts looked after him essentially because he was such a brilliant player? I doubt it was purely out of altruistic motives, if you see what I mean?

we were duty bound to look after him after all he did get his injury playing for us

I would like to think that Hearts would have looked after any player that suffered the same misfortune as CL did.

we were duty bound to look after him after all he did get his injury playing for us

Sure - but that goes for tons of other players at all clubs. All I meant was I assume his case was treated exceptionally because he was simply such a superb player, and therefore a valuable asset.

Eh? someone asked a question, I attempted to answer it. As for your ambivalence, how will I ever get over that?

I don't even know who you are! Think some people take themselves a wee bit too seriously at times.

I have no idea who you are, but being mob handed in the Tynie Arms must make you someone.

I would like to think that Hearts would have looked after any player that suffered the same misfortune as CL did.

If so, that's brilliant, and very rare in football.

... They'd get it in the neck instead! :laugh:

Drylaw Hearts
....but there has to be a plan.

I completely agree.

For one thing VR is 66 on his next Birthday and you really have to wonder how long he will continue at the helm of UBIG.

With that dik of a son being his natural successor it worries the crap out of me thinking that one day that little scrote will have a real say in what happens to this football club.

Guest jambomickey
Sure - but that goes for tons of other players at all clubs. All I meant was I assume his case was treated exceptionally because he was simply such a superb player, and therefore a valuable asset.

if levein hadn't been injured he'd have played for a top team in one of europes best leagues

I have no idea who you are, but being mob handed in the Tynie Arms must make you someone.

Mob handed??

Don't be such a drama queen - we were going to the match FFS.

so was he not duty bound to to do the best for HMFC ...after all we were paying his wages

I completely agree.

For one thing VR is 66 on his next Birthday and you really have to wonder how long he will continue at the helm of UBIG.

With that dik of a son being his natural successor it worries the crap out of me thinking that one day that little scrote will have a real say in what happens to this football club.

Ahem! I make it 62. ;)

Guest jambomickey
I completely agree.

the quicker we're rid of them the better mate! his son being in charge after him is a scary thought:mad:

Geoff Kilpatrick
I completely agree.

A plan?

It's called finding a willing benefactor who is prepared to buy the UBIG shareholding.

It might be a little difficult.

That just about sums you and your sort out.

So full of sheeite its unbelievable.

GTF.

GTF?? FTH?? Great bursts of outrage hiding behind a keyboard.

Remind me - whose full of sheeite??

Guest jambomickey
so was he not duty bound to to do the best for HMFC ...after all we were paying his wages

he did do his best! major cut backs but he still led us to 3rd in the league and great european trips

Charlie-Brown

SOH had a clear objective - prevent the sale of tynecastle and the removal of the people who wanted to take us down that route, regards a SOH2 i doubt there is such a clear objective.........however people do want the club to be run in a more financially responsible manner and it looks as if that might happen.

A plan?

It's called finding a willing benefactor who is prepared to buy the UBIG shareholding.

That's about the size of it Geoff. Still working on your CEO?

Mob handed??

Don't be such a drama queen - we were going to the match FFS.[/quote

Dont be such a pseudo hardman, that was the tone of your original reply to someone who dared question you. But then I didnt know you were "activists".

he did do his best! major cut backs but he still led us to 3rd in the league and great european trips

he left us in the middle of the group stages

Colonel Kurtz
Tynie Arms is Gorgies Ba da Bing

Gorge Chippy... Sartellis pork Emporium.

You wouldnt be ambivilient to a Horses Heid at the bttom of your scratcher

Colonel Kurtz
Mob handed??

Dont be such a pseudo hardman' date= that was the tone of your original reply to someone who dared question you. But then I didnt know you were "activists".[/quote]

Citizen Smith had activists in the Tooting popular front

Drylaw Hearts
A plan?

I didn't ever say it would be easy Geoff.

Enzo, I don't think people are dismissive about protesting against Romanov at all. We had clear evidence that CPR was killing the club and selling the only real asset that we had galvanised a section of the support to take action. That particular campaign took it's toll on all of us who were involved, hence the reluctance to go down that road again.

You asked where are SOH? SOH could easily ask, "where is Enzo?" 15 or so activists were heading to Motherwell yesterday when the game was called off so we had a good old "session" in the Tynie Arms. We just want to watch our beloved team these days..

Iain - Fair point. I know and appreciated the work that yourself and the other guys put into that campaign which did yield a result in that we got rid of Robinson and saved Tynie...and the club at the time. But I can't help thinking that we have stepped out the fire into yet another fire...

I did say "where are SOH?" but it was more of a general remark about the lack of protests. I wasn't expecting the same crew to just suddenly continue where they left off....I appreciate everyone is probably still recovering from the last set of protests!!!

Tynie Arms is Gorgies Ba da Bing

Gorge Chippy... Sartellis pork Emporium.

You wouldnt be ambivilient to a Horses Heid at the bttom of your scratcher

The horse in question was called Khartoum and just watch your stables tonight.

Colonel Kurtz
Mob handed??

Dont be such a pseudo hardman' date= that was the tone of your original reply to someone who dared question you. But then I didnt know you were "activists".[/quote]

Btw you met the bird from Allsports at hampden,it must have been having to listen to your patter all night that drove her to CL

Iain - Fair point. I know and appreciated the work that yourself and the other guys put into that campaign which did yield a result in that we got rid of Robinson and saved Tynie...and the club at the time. But I can't help thinking that we have stepped out the fire into yet another fire...

I did say "where are SOH?" but it was more of a general remark about the lack of protests. I wasn't expecting the same crew to just suddenly continue where they left off....I appreciate everyone is probably still recovering from the last set of protests!!!

EC you make a good point ....where are they canada . norwich. kickback ;)

Archived