BERRA BEING TARGETED FOR TRANSFER SWOOP (merged threads)

slfjambo

1. Why wouldn't we ? Their money is as good as anyones and VR has done business with an OF team previously.

2. I don't know tbh. Burke and Smith are possibles though.

3. I don't think Steven Smith will be on a salary we couldn't cope with.

Main problem with your theory is that if Vlad is considering realising the investment in Berra, then it will be cold hard cash he wants not cash plus players who are surplus to requirements at a club which has lost to both Hearts and Kaunas in the last few months.

Hearts already have too many players, thus Csaba is saying "8 out, 4 in", starting with a striker who can score. Why take part exchange players to boost a squad that is already flabby?

When you look at Rangers squad you do wonder where the real quality is. Celtic prefer their quality to be in their midfield but with Rangers you cannot see any area that is genuinely strong in depth.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drylaw Hearts
Lee Wallace, Johnny Brown and Mikey Delands aren't any worse than Smith and deserve their chance in my opinion and Smith's fitness has got to be a concernMaybury as short term experienced cover would be a better option. Burke plays where Kingston, Miko & Chesney all play so it depends which of those stay or go but the wingers in the reserves & youths look promising to me. :)

I would have to say the before his injury Smith looked a better player than Wallace imo.

I haven't seen much of Brown and Delands but I would like to think if they're ready then we might have seen something of them at some stage this season -especially as Wallace was toiling for form.

I would also add that Smith would be a better option than Maybury who is infact a RB who has often filled in at LB.

I'd rather we signed a decent young Scottish player rather than bring back Maybury.

As for Burke...

He's better than Miko and Chesney and I think Kingston must be on a list of players heading for the exit due to his large salary and he's also one of the few players we could actually sell for a decent fee.

If we have wingers ready to play in the first team at the moment I have to ask why the hell have we played Neilson and Jonsson at RM in recent weeks ?

Charlie-Brown

The Huns are quite strong at centre midfield with Ferguson, Mendes, Davis & Thomson however they can't play all of them at once and Ferguson & Mendes are too similar & just get in each others road like Gerrard & Lampard do.

Charlie-Brown

Many of the youngsters aren't far away from being ready DH and putting Burke & Smith in ahead of them, both of whom are younger players themselves would put our own kids further down the queue - I'm for giving our own players every opportunity first as other players leave than bringing other clubs players, the caveat being elder players like Maybury etc to help ease the youngsters into the team.

The Old Tolbooth
We will not get 3mn for Berra

If he played for one of the old firm they would want at least double 3M for him.

Drylaw Hearts
Main problem with your theory is that if Vlad is considering realising the investment in Berra, then it will be cold hard cash he wants not cash plus players who are surplus to requirements at a club which has lost to both Hearts and Kaunas in the last few months.

VR cannot always get what he wants though. Rangers may be the only club who come in with a decent bid and Berra may decide that he'd rather stay in the SPL for another couple of Seasons rather than move to England too soon.

Hearts already have too many players, thus Csaba is saying "8 out, 4 in", starting with a striker who can score. Why take part exchange players to boost a squad that is already flabby?

A decent RM/RW and LB may be on his Shopping List and thus count as 2 of the "4 in".

When you look at Rangers squad you do wonder where the real quality is. Celtic prefer their quality to be in their midfield but with Rangers you cannot see any area that is genuinely strong in depth.

Rangers don't have a particuarly strong squad and tbh I looked at their team on Saturday and thought overall they were pretty average.

McGregor is a decent enough Goalie, Whittaker is good player but he was never a RB never mind a LB, Bougherra(?) is not any better than Berra, Ferguson and Mendes are both good players and Boyd is an excellent goal poacher.

The rest....

Broadfoot, Weir, Adam, Lafferty and Darchville are mince

Drylaw Hearts
Many of the youngsters aren't far away from being ready DH and putting Burke & Smith in ahead of them, both of whom are younger players themselves would put our own kids further down the queue - I'm for giving our own players every opportunity first as other players leave than bringing other clubs players, the caveat being elder players like Maybury etc to help ease the youngsters into the team.

Tullberg, Obua, No.16, The Balogh and Kello all came to the club and pushed youths further down the queue and I don't recall it being an issue then.

I'd rather we promoted from within CB but the timing has to be right.

doesnt add much to the thread but i know Tottenham have had him watched several times.

not yet aware what impact the arrival of Redknapp will have on any movement but their scouts had been getting keen.

Charlie-Brown

There would be less concern about signing Burke than Smith. 4 of the 5 players we signed in the summer were loans & not all are certain to stay but youths can develop a lot in 6-12 months. Burke & Smith would be transfers not Loans.

Drylaw Hearts
There would be less concern about signing Burke than Smith. 4 of the 5 players we signed in the summer were loans & not all are certain to stay but youths can develop a lot in 6-12 months. Burke & Smith would be transfers not Loans.

Miko was signed on loan.

4 years later however......

Smith started his career better than Hutton IMO

Burke, if given a run in the team could replace Larry / Miko.

BOTH players if managed properly could be the kind that could be sold on for a profit.

So IMO they should be the sort of player we are looking at - we need some players with SPL experience if we are flogging our only assets.

One of the glaring issues of the Romanov era is the gradual decline in player quality - we have not replaced anyone sold / emptied with better or even equal ability and application IMO and we are now down to the level where we need to.

Charlie-Brown

Also one of the glaring & expensive issues of the romanov era was increase in quality & cost of the playing squad.

Sure I read somewhere that McCarthy was being given ?10m to bolster his squad in January. Have a feeling a few of them might be getting offered for CB!

It shows how far our expectations have sunk.In the Vlad documentary two years ago he said he had a file on every player in Brazil and would pay any amount of money if it was for the right player. Now its accepted that we will always sell our best players,we used to criticise our neighbours for that.

Loooks like top of the league for us will always be third place.

jamboinglasgow

from what I hear Smith will be off to St Johnstone for the rest of the season on loan.

You're either a Hobo or stupid. I suspect both.

I am not a Hibs supporter,nor stupid. I also struggle to understand your argument,sorry you did'nt have one.Which part of my observation do you disagree with?

If you saw the documentary you would know what I stated is fact.

If you read the previous posts, Jambos are accepting that our Captain will be sold and are discussing for how much.

I like many still hope Vlad will deliver,it's the believing that gets harder.

I hope he doesnt go to get ruined at either of the OF - Fulham or Feyenoord would be a good step up for him. Good on him - hope it comes to fruition for him.

We are in debt and it looks like there is serious cash flow problems at Tynie. I would rather capatilise an assest for cash than continue to annoy all other players by not paying them on time.

Its a recession, we need cash!

I am not a Hibs supporter,nor stupid. I also struggle to understand your argument,sorry you did'nt have one.Which part of my observation do you disagree with?

If you saw the documentary you would know what I stated is fact.

If you read the previous posts, Jambos are accepting that our Captain will be sold and are discussing for how much.

I like many still hope Vlad will deliver,it's the believing that gets harder.

Regardless of the offer I wouldn't sell him in January. He probably isn't one of the highest earners and has a contract till 2011 so there is no rush IMO.

If we are in with a shout of 3rd with the cup to play for we should only be selling players who either aren't a core part of the team - i.e Makela, or those on very high wages - i.e. Larry and Nade. Even the latter should only go if the price is right.

3rd place could mean a lot to the club financially and to the fans, and waiting six months, if he's playing well, few caps, etc will mean we will get more in August and allow a replacement to be sought and bedded in.

Captain Scarlett
If you think back to the summer when Wolves were willing to pay ?1.5m but were swithering at ?2m you might realise that ?3m is not now out of the question. Wolves are sitting pretty with a strong chance of promotion and wouldn't want to prejudice their chances of the big, big money that the Premiership offers, with the lack of squad options. Injuries and suspensions will bite as the season progresses and the only impediment to a ?3m Berra transfer would be a sustained loss of form. If others such as Fulham enter the bidding, the fee could be even higher.

Remember Fulham bid ?2m for Gordon and he eventually went for (a maximum of ?9m) when others entered the bidding, so......

wolves? wolves? who the ****** are wolves:hobofish:

given the wages carry on again are you sure vlad doesnt have that problem?:sad::sad:

I think that's even more reason why Vlad will drive the price as high as possible. I really can't see Vlad accepting any less than ?5M. Anyone who secures a potential ?2M deal for Goncalves when he could have walked for nothing just weeks later knows how to negotiate.

its completely and utterly off topic, but was anyone else sniggering when rudolf and prancer bickered at the start of this thread :rofl:

Wolves don't have big money to spend any more and all their recent buys have been bargain basement stuff. I'll be very surprised if Wolves make any offer - unless Mancien has to go back to Chelsea.

Feyenoord - has anybody looked at their league position. Talk about frying pans & fires :eek::eek:

Fulham would seem to be the best option for Berra and the most likely according to other posters on here.

Can't see Vlad being interested in part exchange tbh. Reckon he'd prefer straight cash.

Also hope he doesn't just jump at the first decent offer. If he plays it right we might be in for a bit of a windfall if Berra's form stays as good.

its completely and utterly off topic, but was anyone else sniggering when rudolf and prancer bickered at the start of this thread :rofl:

Couldn?t decide if it was seasonal or unseasonal?

Berra is the most naturally talented centre back we have had since Alan Mclaren imo. He has all the attributes to be a top cente back in any league and a lot of top managers now are looking at players athletic qualities before other aspects of their games as shown by the rising number of younger african players making their mark on the top leagues. Berra is strong, dominant, pacy and seems a complete professional. I believe he could play for pretty much any team if they had someone with top league experience beside him.

At least 5million should be required imo, hope we can get a new contact agreed for him.

John Gentleman

Isn't McGowan a 'shoe-in' to replace him?

Just along the road from me, he excelled in that position with Para Hills Knights. He also knows the 'Scottish culture' of fitba'. Australian born, but of Scottish parentage.

The only (possible) downside is that he's Shellic minded. But that didn't stop Hartley from doing the business for us, did it?

Tell you what though; if CB gets sold for a decent fee then any further delays in paying wages/salaries should receive a 'zero-tolerance' attitude from we supporters. Just not good enough and the excuses are no longer valid. Frankly, I'm fed up with all those posters who attempt to justify this ongoing nonsense and asserting that it's the 'business norm'. When bills fall due, under agreed terms, you pay them. End of. If you can't, you've either got a cash flow problem or an ethical problem. Perhaps both.

Looking at things from the 'macro' level, I think VR is prepping us for sale. Oh, to have a 'Bunnet' waiting in the wings. Sure, he was much disliked by many of the Celtic support, but he did the business - and walked away with a tidy profit in his back pocket to boot. I don't think VR has anything like the business nous that the Bunnet had.

End of rant.

loveofthegame

Well aware there'll be a lot of interest, just hope he's around until at least the end of this season. Letting him go in January would be crazy. But if a high enough bid comes in in summer then it'd be hard for us to turn it down, and even harder for him to say no if its a Premiership side. ?3M+ though please- the one good thing is I can't see Vlad letting him go on the cheap.

He'd be stupid to go there... relegation battlers at best.

Disagree. Good coach, will be safe this season, less pressure and he'll get games. Probably the upper limit of what his expectations should be at the moment and if he shows progress, wouldn't rule out a bigger move. It's a massive jump from the SPL to the EPL.

He'd be stupid to go there... relegation battlers at best.

I'd agree to be honest.

Niemi - Southampton. Didn't they get relegated when he was there?

Berra won't get European football at Fulhum - or even win the odd cup...

Stay where you are son!

Mac_fae_Gillie
I'd agree to be honest.

Niemi - Southampton. Didn't they get relegated when he was there?

Berra won't get European football at Fulhum - or even win the odd cup...

Stay where you are son!

All true but he will be on 3-5times more money and if he does improve even more likely to move to a bigger club...

SPL players 1st jumps into england will always be mid epl or top CC at best.

we'll struggle to keep him if he starts to become a regular for Scotland but at least that might bump up his price.

We need him to sign a new contract soon then we can get a high fee for him.

Also think it won't be long till he's a Scotland regular as Weir will be emptyed soon (thank feck):rolleyes:

we'll struggle to keep him if he starts to become a regular for Scotland but at least that might bump up his price.

We need him to sign a new contract soon then we can get a high fee for him.

Also think it won't be long till he's a Scotland regular as Weir will be emptyed soon (thank feck):rolleyes:

Burley will do what all Scotland manager's do - go back to the OF for the pairing of 2 average centre halves, in this case Caulwell & McManus.

Berra is good in the air and has a fair turn of pace - if he worked on his distribution a bit more he could defo go far. And I don't mean along the M8.

Hes a pretty effective SPL centre half, but if he went down south he'd be back up here in a couple of years.

Cant see him being much more of a success than Russel Anderson was down there.

The hutton transfer was ridiculous, can't really be used as a benchmark - also he will be back here before long, that injury will prevent him getting back in Harry's the first team plans again imo.

Hes a pretty effective SPL centre half, but if he went down south he'd be back up here in a couple of years.

Cant see him being much more of a success than Russel Anderson was down there.

The hutton transfer was ridiculous, can't really be used as a benchmark - also he will be back here before long, that injury will prevent him getting back in Harry's the first team plans again imo.

Hasn't RA been injured almost since he moved?

Elroyofderovers

I think he needs to stay until the summer and play for the rest of the season like he did on Sat. If not then ?3m would be good money. He has never been consistent for long enough to be deemed a sold and reliable centre half.

Also the EPL & maybe even more so the CC is a totally different ball game. Have you seen the size of some of the strikers down there? They would kill Berra and I think he is a wee bit of a sissy when it comes to being a centre half. I mean if he was a real big tough centre have (ala C Levein) then he would have given Zali a few right hooks (G Hogg)!!!

Berra is the most naturally talented centre back we have had since Alan Mclaren imo. He has all the attributes to be a top cente back in any league and a lot of top managers now are looking at players athletic qualities before other aspects of their games as shown by the rising number of younger african players making their mark on the top leagues. Berra is strong, dominant, pacy and seems a complete professional. I believe he could play for pretty much any team if they had someone with top league experience beside him.

At least 5million should be required imo, hope we can get a new contact agreed for him.

You set up a couple of Goals against the Currant Buns and, suddenly you are Bobby Moore!! I personally think he is well overated.

He WILL be sold. We will replace him with a talented youngster, who will then be sold. (Alan McLaren anyone). We will ALWAYS be a selling club but, at least with Mad Vlad at the helm we, or rather HE gets his money's worth and he won't sell direct to them. Players will have to go to Iceland or somewhere first.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I find it hard to put a price on Chris Berra because the transfer market in England (at last) seems to be heading for a reality check, with the obvious exception of the bitter blues from the council house of course!

That said, 2.5m would be my gut instinct as a fair price.

We will not get 3mn for Berra

I remember us seemingly having no chance of getting even ?5 million for Gordon back in the day.

:)

Archived