BERRA BEING TARGETED FOR TRANSFER SWOOP (merged threads)

slfjambo

73684_1.jpg

Christophe Berra

Monday December 1,2008

Hearts are bracing themselves for a flurry of transfer offers aimed at luring captain Christophe Berra away from Tynecastle.

Hearts are bracing themselves for a flurry of transfer offers aimed at luring captain Christophe Berra away from Tynecastle.

The Jambos defender who has been outstanding in recent weeks was watched by several English and foreign clubs in the 2-1 win over Rangers when he was named man of the match.

now, Wolves who had a ?1.5m offer rejected in the summer, Fulham and Feyenoord are leading a pack of suitors trying to land the Scotland international during next month's winter transfer window.

Berra however insists he's in no hurry to leave Hearts and intends focusing 100 per cent on the Tynecastle team while he remains with them.

?

Ironically the 23 year old and the Tynecastle crowd were given duff info on Saturday when it was publicly announced at half-time Sir Alex Ferguson had taken a seat in the main stand.

Sir Alex was actually sitting at home in Manchester taking a rare Saturday afternoon off ahead of yesterday's derby encounter with City. But other managers and scouts were in the stadium and were impressed by Berra's display.

?I have never said I want to leave this club,? ?he said as speculation again mounted about his future I have been here for a long time and I am enjoying working with the manager.

?At the moment I am staying and focussing on each game.

?If players are doing well, there?s always going to be speculation.But there?s no point on dwelling on the past. The thing with Wolves never happened. I?m here, I?m young and I want to improve as a player week-in and week-out.

?I?m a professional and no matter who I play for in the future I will always give 110%.? added Berra who is under contract until summer 2011.

?We heard Sir Alex was here when we were out on the pitch and we also heard Stuart Pearce was here as well.??

?You never know who is watching. But you just concentrate on the game for 90 minutes and try to do your best.?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/73684/Berra-being-targeted-for-transfer-swoop spacer.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it would be a huge loss on the playing front, it can only be good that teams are competing for his signiture. I think he was always destined to leave for bigger things. If we could get ?3m + for him I would be happy. On current form that figure is not unrealistic.

Although it would be a huge loss on the playing front, it can only be good that teams are competing for his signiture. I think he was always destined to leave for bigger things. If we could get ?3m + for him I would be happy. On current form that figure is not unrealistic.

Hutton went for 9 million so it may be that 3 is a tad low. Just my opinion though

Given Vlad's previous transfer dealings, I think he'll be asking for considerably more than that. And he'll probably get it.

Under the pie man, Gordon would have been sold for ?2-3M. Not necessarily the pie man's fault as any potential buyers knew that we had a certain price that HBOS would not let us knock back. But Vlad doesn't have that problem.

Dean Winchester

If Berra continues to play the way hes been playing the last few weeks between now and xmas then I wouldnt be happy with just ?3 million. Especially with the likes of Hutton going for as much as he did. Although, I don't think he'll be going anywhere before the end of the season.

Hutton went for 9 million so it may be that 3 is a tad low. Just my opinion though

That's a really good point. I saw Hutton at the Emirates, and Berra yesterday, and the latter was twice the former.

Berra offers the transfer market such a complete role too, for a club that needs to prevent (...missing out on Champ League, missing out on EPL next season) it is plausible to see a bidding war commence.

Stakes are so high in the EPL, irrational behaviour in January is totally rational.

That said, I want him to the end of the season and keep the momentum we now have, going.

Interesting times. Positive problems.

Deodato

penicuik jambo

Think we would sell for 2 to 2.5m, was out on the drink yesterday with donkey an he told me someone will be sold in january as we are screwed for cash. On this form it would be a huge loss. We are due a million from the mackems very soon, if Gordan hadnt got injured we would have had it by now.

Think we would sell for 2 to 2.5m, was out on the drink yesterday with donkey an he told me someone will be sold in january as we are screwed for cash. On this form it would be a huge loss. We are due a million from the mackems very soon, if Gordan hadnt got injured we would have had it by now.

So we do expect our own debtors to pay us on time:eek:

I am sure Romanov and co would be delighted if Sunderland did what we did to Arbroath, or Genk,

Colonel Kurtz
We will not get 3mn for Berra

Yes we will

Any player who we have cover for will be sold in january

Berra....Rapnik is the most obvious

The youngsters have been told they will get their chances after january

Captain Scarlett
Given Vlad's previous transfer dealings, I think he'll be asking for considerably more than that. And he'll probably get it.

Under the pie man, Gordon would have been sold for ?2-3M. Not necessarily the pie man's fault as any potential buyers knew that we had a certain price that HBOS would not let us knock back. But Vlad doesn't have that problem.

given the wages carry on again are you sure vlad doesnt have that problem?:sad::sad:

Gavsy Van Gaverson
That's a really good point. I saw Hutton at the Emirates, and Berra yesterday, and the latter was twice the former.

Berra offers the transfer market such a complete role too, for a club that needs to prevent (...missing out on Champ League, missing out on EPL next season) it is plausible to see a bidding war commence.

Stakes are so high in the EPL, irrational behaviour in January is totally rational.

That said, I want him to the end of the season and keep the momentum we now have, going.

Interesting times. Positive problems.

Deodato

To be fair to Hutton though, he was out injured and was rushed back far too quickly and had his worst game yet for Spurs at The Emirates.

I was not surprised to hear he is now out for months.

Yes we will

Any player who we have cover for will be sold in january

Berra....Rapnik is the most obvious

The youngsters have been told they will get their chances after january

I am not disputing he will be sold, I am disputing we will get 3mn for him.

Take a million off and we might just about do it,its well in the open we will be selling through necessity in January thus clubs will offer lower.

Take a million off and we might just about do it,its well in the open we will be selling through necessity in January thus clubs will offer lower.

Remember you disputing the fact that we had sold out our allocation at Fester Road earlier this season.

Not too hot on the prediction front:)

Jam Tarts 1874

Hearts' latest win on Saturday appears to have put you into overdrive on the negativity. :hobofish:

Hearts' latest win on Saturday appears to have put you into overdrive on the negativity. :hobofish:

Not really, I just dont think Berra is as valuable as people think.

Good SPL defender, but I question whether he will make the step upto the EPL, he is also 24 in a few weeks so hasnt got much more improving to do - especially since imo pace is his main asset.

I do think he will be sold, I just cant see him going for 3 million, especially when clubs know we have to sell.

ToadKiller Dog
there's every chance that we will, possibly more.

I remember a certain Po faced poster who stated at the time that no way would the club get ?4m for Gordon and ?3.5 if we were lucky.

I think he does have a certain point this time to be fair as in my view this new year is to early to sell Berra if we want his real worth,but if its true we have to sell then we might have to accept less .

Not really, I just dont think Berra is as valuable as people think.

Good SPL defender, but I question whether he will make the step upto the EPL, he is also 24 in a few weeks so hasnt got much more improving to do - especially since imo pace is his main asset.

I do think he will be sold, I just cant see him going for 3 million, especially when clubs know we have to sell.

Hhahahaahahahaha - that has goat to be the post of the Year!

Prancer I salute you :hobofish:

A Hearts defence with the current squad without Berra in it worries me gravely

This been born in mind I'd want at least ?3m in compensation for the state it would leave our defence in.

If it is good for nothing else this run of wins is building a cushion for after the transfer window with our depleted squad.

The least we should be looking for Larry and Berra to pull in is ?5m between them. With a good wind we could get a bit more.

As an aside I doubt those running the club are bracing themselves at all. Vlad will be stroking his tadger at the thought of this...

Drylaw Hearts

It seems as though our high earners, higher value players and fringe players will be moved on within the next 2 TW's.

Possible Outs :

The Balogh

Berra

Karapidis

Goncalves

Miko

Chesney

Makela

Elliot

Mole

Kingston

Nade

Ksanavicius

Also.....

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bruno do a Goncalves and sign a deal before being loaned out with the view to a permanent transfer.

It seems as though our high earners, higher value players and fringe players will be moved on within the next 2 TW's.

Possible Outs :

The Balogh

Berra

Karapidis

Goncalves

Miko

Chesney

Makela

Elliot

Mole

Kingston

Nade

Ksanavicius

Also.....

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bruno do a Goncalves and sign a deal before being loaned out with the view to a permanent transfer.

Bold I'd like to keep. Italic I may keep. The rest, meh.

73684_1.jpg

Christophe Berra

Monday December 1,2008

The Jambos defender who has been outstanding in recent weeks was watched by several English and foreign clubs in the 2-1 win over Rangers when he was named man of the match.

now, Wolves who had a ?1.5m offer rejected in the summer, Fulham and Feyenoord are leading a pack of suitors trying to land the Scotland international during next month's winter transfer window.

Berra however insists he's in no hurry to leave Hearts and intends focusing 100 per cent on the Tynecastle team while he remains with them.

?

Ironically the 23 year old and the Tynecastle crowd were given duff info on Saturday when it was publicly announced at half-time Sir Alex Ferguson had taken a seat in the main stand.

Sir Alex was actually sitting at home in Manchester taking a rare Saturday afternoon off ahead of yesterday's derby encounter with City. But other managers and scouts were in the stadium and were impressed by Berra's display.

?I have never said I want to leave this club,? ?he said as speculation again mounted about his future I have been here for a long time and I am enjoying working with the manager.

?At the moment I am staying and focussing on each game.

?If players are doing well, there?s always going to be speculation.But there?s no point on dwelling on the past. The thing with Wolves never happened. I?m here, I?m young and I want to improve as a player week-in and week-out.

?I?m a professional and no matter who I play for in the future I will always give 110%.? added Berra who is under contract until summer 2011.

?We heard Sir Alex was here when we were out on the pitch and we also heard Stuart Pearce was here as well.??

?You never know who is watching. But you just concentrate on the game for 90 minutes and try to do your best.?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/73684/Berra-being-targeted-for-transfer-swoop spacer.gif

This article raises more than a few question marks for me.

Buffalo Bill

Berra looks excellent at the moment - Saturday's performance was top drawer, without any doubt. I think he'll probably go in January. But given that many people were describing him as mediocre only a few weeks ago, and maybe still are, it's certainly not universally accepted that he'll be a huge loss in the sense of being irreplaceable.

My own view is that he's developing into a pretty complete-looking centre back. We seem to be a club that excels at producing both great central defenders and great goalkeepers. I wonder which of these positions we actually have a better record in?

Arsene Wenger recently commented on how few top-class central defenders there were going around and even had a wee dig at AC Milan for buying Senderos from him.

Berra is left sided and has pace - two things which are in very high demand in a centre back. He would have had quite a few caps by now if he was playing his football along the M8.

I would think he will be in demand from quite a few "lower" Premiership clubs and VR will wait until the Summer and hope for a feeding frenzy.

I reckon in this day and age 4mill plus for berra

I would take the money and bring in an older head for much cheaper.

it all goes towards the debt I hope

Snake Plissken

He's not out of contract until 2011.

He is in the form of is life.

He is an internationalist.

Several clubs are interested.

He is not desperate to leave.

The above should dictate that we get a good price and with the way things are in the transfer market we should be targeting 5-6 million.

I think some people need to take a reality check.

Ok in the current climate I personally don't think we will get 3 million for Berra - I personally reckon 2-2.5mn depending on sell on and the club.

I base this on a few things, as much as I like Berra, I dont think he is as good as some would believe, he is 24 in January so is moving out of the youngster bracket, the rumours re us looking to sell will push values down, the desire to cut the wage bill, the general credit crunch.

I also think Berra's own ability is a factor, he isnt imo ready for the EPL / top championship clubs so any EPL club will limit an offer based on this (who will pay 5 mil for a reserve), wereas lower championship clubs wont pay that sort of money.

So whilst I think its feasible Vlad might push it to 3 million, I think talk of 4-6 million is delusionary. Hey hopefully I would be proved wrong but I wouldnt want to spend 6 million on Berra.

Berra keeps getting better and as a central defender I would imagine is about 3 to 4 years away from his best. If finances dictate he has to go then I'd expect at least 3 million. We could get an excellent young Scottish replacement from Falkirk in Darren Barr.

If you think back to the summer when Wolves were willing to pay ?1.5m but were swithering at ?2m you might realise that ?3m is not now out of the question. Wolves are sitting pretty with a strong chance of promotion and wouldn't want to prejudice their chances of the big, big money that the Premiership offers, with the lack of squad options. Injuries and suspensions will bite as the season progresses and the only impediment to a ?3m Berra transfer would be a sustained loss of form. If others such as Fulham enter the bidding, the fee could be even higher.

Remember Fulham bid ?2m for Gordon and he eventually went for (a maximum of ?9m) when others entered the bidding, so......

Guest Dipped Flake

I really hope he stays at least till the end of the season and, if we have qualified for Europe, he might stay longer. If we do sell him, anything less than ?3M would be a joke. More then ?3M and I think we would sell.

Drylaw Hearts

I think Rangers will be back in with another bid within the next few weeks (cash plus a couple of fringe players).

They've been keeping an eye on him for over a year.

I think Rangers will be back in with another bid within the next few weeks (cash plus a couple of fringe players).

I'd take Burke plus a couple of million....

I'm sorry but how exactly do you know that?

Because every club in Britain reads his posts on JKB - You know it's true.:)

Steven Smith would also do a good job imo.

Any potential buyer would have to give Burke or Smith very thorough medicals as the likelihood of signing them to be expensive patients is pretty high.

I heard that from a couple of Huns on Saturday but I see certain problems

1. Would we want to sell to the OF?

2. If we did, who would we want that they are likely to release?

3. Wage differential.

Drylaw Hearts
Any potential buyer would have to give Burke or Smith very thorough medicals as the likelihood of signing them to be expensive patients is pretty high.

Given our track record - they sound ideal.

Drylaw Hearts
I heard that from a couple of Huns on Saturday but I see certain problems

1. Would we want to sell to the OF?

2. If we did, who would we want that they are likely to release?

3. Wage differential.

1. Why wouldn't we ? Their money is as good as anyones and VR has done business with an OF team previously.

2. I don't know tbh. Burke and Smith are possibles though.

3. I don't think Steven Smith will be on a salary we couldn't cope with.

Charlie-Brown

Burke and Smith aren't any better than some of our own players coming through in those positions, both of them are okay players and I suppose it depends on who leaves but they wouldn't be my first choices - Rangers can GTF though unless they're willing to pay big money for Berra and better any offers from English clubs.

Drylaw Hearts
Burke and Smith aren't any better than some of our own players coming through in those positions, both of them are okay players and I suppose it depends on who leaves but they wouldn't be my first choices - Rangers can GTF though unless they're willing to pay big money for Berra and better any offers from English clubs.

Who do we have coming through who is better than either of those players ?

Charlie-Brown
Who do we have coming through who is better than either of those players ?

Lee Wallace, Johnny Brown and Mikey Delands aren't any worse than Smith and deserve their chance in my opinion and Smith's fitness has got to be a concernMaybury as short term experienced cover would be a better option. Burke plays where Kingston, Miko & Chesney all play so it depends which of those stay or go but the wingers in the reserves & youths look promising to me. :)

Archived