Even Ireland Fans Are Sick of the Mhanks

Makween

I often wondered why there was never any terrorism against scotland during the irish troubles given so much energy & support in the west of scotland was devoted towards it on both sides, why ferries weren't bombed or explosions in stranraer or govan/parkhead etc.

Hmmn I lived in the centre of Glasgow for a while and my building had common Buildings insurance - it included Terrorism insurance.

I worked in dublin for the first 6 months if this year and many points in here confirm what I saw, the vast majority watch and care for English football-no one including about a hundred taxi drivers gave a monkeys about the mhanks! I was surprisednto say the least

I've lived in Dublin for nearly 30 years and have only ever met about 2 people who supported Celtic. Most people are Arsenal,Man u or Chelsea fans(or Gaelic Games fans). The Premiership always takes precedence over the SPL in pubs.

I often wondered why there was never any terrorism against scotland during the irish troubles given so much energy & support in the west of scotland was devoted towards it on both sides, why ferries weren't bombed or explosions in stranraer or govan/parkhead etc.

I think you've answered your own question.

Good effort on the part of the petition starter, but a windup nonetheless.

Having said that, it's true that C****c's misty-eyed view of their Irishness isn't universally shared in this neck of the woods.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Quite simply, the amount of money being generated in dodgy pubs and from fraternising with some of Glasgow's underworld meant that PIRA and the UDA/UVF wouldn't dare upset the balance by committing some sort of 'act' in Scotland.

This was one of the reasons why PIRA, for example, never bombed Scotland as part of their mainland bombing campaign but targeted London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. instead.

Good effort on the part of the petition starter, but a windup nonetheless.

I'm genuinely confused as to what you mean by that.

boabyarsebiscuit

I'm in Ireland now, and made similar points to those being made on this thread a few weeks ago. Liverpool are massive over here. As is th eEPL generally. You get EPL matches live on telly at 3pm on a Saturday.

The only person I've seen over here in a Sellick Tap, was what looked like a 16 year old "knacker", ("knacker" = "ned"), who had it on under his white shell suit.

Ireland seems to have moved on. The anachronism that is the peculiar brand of institutionalised Celtic FC bigotry hasn't.

Oh, totally. Perish the thought that anyone could ever get sick of those loveable wee leprechauns.

Seriously, do you actually support Hearts?

Do you?!

You seem more at home having sly digs at Celtic and defending Rangers wee man :rolleyes:

Quite simply, the amount of money being generated in dodgy pubs and from fraternising with some of Glasgow's underworld meant that PIRA and the UDA/UVF wouldn't dare upset the balance by committing some sort of 'act' in Scotland.

This was one of the reasons why PIRA, for example, never bombed Scotland as part of their mainland bombing campaign but targeted London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. instead.

Who do you think used to control most of the hash that was in Edinburgh;)

I'd have a lot more respect for football supporters in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland if more of them actually supported their local teams instead of latching themselves onto successful clubs in Scotland and England.

boabyarsebiscuit
I'd have a lot more respect for football supporters in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland if more of them actually supported their local teams instead of latching themselves onto successful clubs in Scotland and England.

Couple of things about football in the Irish Republic. First, the League runs April - November so it's currently "close season". They have no local "soccer" to support right now. And the League is a very poor standard, pretty much Scottish first Division. Also, the EPL TV Coverage is massive. It's very popular over here. Just seems to be the way.

Living in Dublin and having family from the North I can tell you that the majority of football fans (in the South) don't really give a toss about the SPL. They like the Premiership and devote much airtime to it on RTE (National broadcaster). The SPL to them is two teams who hate each other and are followed by neds in tracksuits (as commented in earlier post). In the North, those that follow Rangers and Celtic cling to it thing as part of their tribal identity but even there the majority of the folks will have an English team that they follow.

Guest Dipped Flake
Living in Dublin and having family from the North I can tell you that the majority of football fans (in the South) don't really give a toss about the SPL. They like the Premiership and devote much airtime to it on RTE (National broadcaster). The SPL to them is two teams who hate each other and are followed by neds in tracksuits (as commented in earlier post). In the North, those that follow Rangers and Celtic cling to it thing as part of their tribal identity but even there the majority of the folks will have an English team that they follow.

The highlighted bit explains why the old firm will never pay more than lip service to any anti-bigot campaign as they know the reason nutters walk about in rangers/celtic jerseys is to show they are good proddies/tims and nothing to do with supporting their team. If the of made a concerted effort to stamp out the bigotry of their fans they would lose thousands of 'supporters'.

Work in London during the week and stay in a hotel that has a particularly irish slant to it, thought about going back for a drink the other night and thought to hell with that it will be full of celtik minded people watching their beloved. To my surprise when I did get back there two tv behind the bar had Man U on and the other one had Arsenal - interesting.....

The Real Maroonblood
Is anyone else bored of the continual celtic/rangers pish on here at the moment?

Yes,they should get a life.

Couple of things about football in the Irish Republic. First, the League runs April - November so it's currently "close season". They have no local "soccer" to support right now. And the League is a very poor standard, pretty much Scottish first Division. Also, the EPL TV Coverage is massive. It's very popular over here. Just seems to be the way.

I'm aware that it is a summer league in the Republic of Ireland so for a few months the football focus is outwith Ireland. I also acknowledge that it is not just a problem in Ireland, no doubt most of the peoples of Iceland, Lithuania and Finland are more interested in the West Ham-Blackburn score than games being played five minutes away from their houses. The standard of the league shouldn't matter, it's a reluctance for people to identify with their home and go for the shallow, cheap and easy option of picking a big club to latch onto. This applies in towns and cities all over Scotland also although I think despite the 'attractions' of the Old Firm attendances are fairly strong in Scotland.

boabyarsebiscuit
I'm aware that it is a summer league in the Republic of Ireland so for a few months the football focus is outwith Ireland. I also acknowledge that it is not just a problem in Ireland, no doubt most of the peoples of Iceland, Lithuania and Finland are more interested in the West Ham-Blackburn score than games being played five minutes away from their houses. The standard of the league shouldn't matter, it's a reluctance for people to identify with their home and go for the shallow, cheap and easy option of picking a big club to latch onto. This applies in towns and cities all over Scotland also although I think despite the 'attractions' of the Old Firm attendances are fairly strong in Scotland.

Going by the number of people I see wearing team-related tracktops, kagoules, etc, the locals here do seem to identify strongly with their local teams. Their local GAA teams.

"Soccer" is seen as an English sport, so why not support an English team seems to be the attitude. Not trying to justify it, I am after all a "foreigner" over here. Just stating what I'm seeing on the ground in Cork.

Going by the number of people I see wearing team-related tracktops, kagoules, etc, the locals here do seem to identify strongly with their local teams. Their local GAA teams.

"Soccer" is seen as an English sport, so why not support an English team seems to be the attitude. Not trying to justify it, I am after all a "foreigner" over here. Just stating what I'm seeing on the ground in Cork.

Fair enough, it seems that in a lot of countries 'soccer' is not their number one sport.

Do you?!

You seem more at home having sly digs at Celtic and defending Rangers wee man :rolleyes:

Yes...big man. I support Hearts. I also wouldn't have said that my digs at the Dhims were particularly sly. Big man.

It's funny being told by mouthpieces on the internet, who I've seen posting on other threads about how they listened on the radio to games that I attended (as I attend every game), that I'm not a real fan. Big man.

Yes...big man. I support Hearts. I also wouldn't have said that my digs at the Dhims were particularly sly. Big man.

It's funny being told by mouthpieces on the internet, who I've seen posting on other threads about how they listened on the radio to games that I attended (as I attend every game), that I'm not a real fan. Big man.

The irony!! :4_1_72:

Oh dear, another i'm a better fan than you because I go to every game. Hey, if that makes you a better fan than me then so be it. However, my point was not a slant on your support of Hearts, merely an observation that you do comment on the Old Firm teams quite often and that you seem to hold more negative feelings towards one side of the divide.

I know i'm a pretty big dude but maybe after being called Big man three times in the one post I should be looking to lose some weight :rolleyes:

I'm in Ireland now, and made similar points to those being made on this thread a few weeks ago. Liverpool are massive over here. As is th eEPL generally. You get EPL matches live on telly at 3pm on a Saturday.

The only person I've seen over here in a Sellick Tap, was what looked like a 16 year old "knacker", ("knacker" = "ned"), who had it on under his white shell suit.

Ireland seems to have moved on. The anachronism that is the peculiar brand of institutionalised Celtic FC bigotry hasn't.

good for them :):):):)

hope springs eternal that maybe one day ..............

Are you really posting from The People's Republic? :biggrin:

Stupid Sexy Flanders
The irony!! :4_1_72:

Oh dear, another i'm a better fan than you because I go to every game. Hey, if that makes you a better fan than me then so be it. However, my point was not a slant on your support of Hearts, merely an observation that you do comment on the Old Firm teams quite often and that you seem to hold more negative feelings towards one side of the divide.

I know i'm a pretty big dude but maybe after being called Big man three times in the one post I should be looking to lose some weight :rolleyes:

So if you hate one of them more than the other, that automatically means you feel positively about the one you hate least?

If I had the choice, I'd rather be shot in the head than buried alive. Doesn't mean I want to be shot in the head though! Bit of an analogy there.

Archived