Even Ireland Fans Are Sick of the Mhanks

Makween

"So why should some Irish fans be different? I'm referring of course to those fans who wear Glasgow Celtic shirts at Republic of Ireland matches. Glasgow Celtic is a Scottish team with some obsolete links to Ireland that are no longer relevant. That in itself would be of little consequence were it not for the fact that Glasgow Celtic's fans comprise one half of a low level Catholic versus Protestant bigotry that has been rumbling in Scottish

society for centuries."

ha ha ha haaaaaaa!!!!!!! PMSL!!!!!

disowned by those at home? the relationship is over, they can't go home.

:D

from what i have heard Celtic no longer command the affections of the sports followers of the republic of Ireland that they once did .

in fact a work college (die hard celtic fan) who was working there temporary told me he was shocked at how little interest there was in Dublin for Celtic he said there all running about in arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea tops :eek::eek:

I was in Dublin a couple of years ago and we asked for teh Hibs Celtic game to be put on in the pub.

The boy had all the channels, but refused.

We asked why and he said "No offence lads, but the only people that are interested in Scottish football over here are the kids that go about with Celtic tops, burberry caps and tracksuit bottoms, nicking stereos out of cars and generally making a nuisance of themselves. That's not really the crowd we're looking for. I know you're just a bunch of Scottish lads and are genuinely interested in the football, but that's just the way it is over here. Anyone who actually wants to watch football watches the Premiership".

It sadly proves how Ireland has moved on more than the numpties in the West of Scotland.

It also proves how Celtique and Rangers are keeping bigotry alive more than anyone or anywhere else. In the end it must be cringeworthy to people looking in on Scotland when they see many are still all hot and bothered about it all over here.:eek:

Reading the comments, which are at first amusing, then utterly dispiriting, this seems just as likely to have been set up by a mischief making Rangers fan as an Ireland fan fed up with Celtic supporters continually embarrassing themselves. Still, P. O'Neill and Gerry Adams don't seem too impressed - so at least that's something...

Meanwhile, another petition hasn't met with much success. I rather hope it does, though:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/banonlinepetitions/

As I said on another thread today, Irish football fans have long moved on and take plane-loads over to England to watch top quality football.

Celtic's plastic paddy fan base is just a tacky joke now.

Buffalo Bill

...this seems just as likely to have been set up by a mischief making Rangers fan as an Ireland fan fed up with Celtic supporters continually embarrassing themselves....

Oh, totally. Perish the thought that anyone could ever get sick of those loveable wee leprechauns.

Seriously, do you actually support Hearts?

As I said on another thread today, Irish football fans have long moved on and take plane-loads over to England to watch top quality football.

Celtic's plastic paddy fan base is just a tacky joke now.

Buffalo Bill

hilarious nonetheless.

in their utter desperation to cling on to some kind of psuedo identity and heritage, it's ironic that they seem to have alienated the population of the country to which they have become so obsessed with.

unrequainted love.

Oh, totally. Perish the thought that anyone could ever get sick of those loveable wee leprechauns.

Seriously, do you actually support Hearts?

Yes, I seriously do. Plenty of people get sick of those loveable wee leprechauns (including me, regularly) - but have you even bothered to read the comments? It is just as likely to be a piece of nonsense as a genuine petition.

Yes, I seriously do. Plenty of people get sick of those loveable wee leprechauns (including me, regularly) - but have you even bothered to read the comments? It is just as likely to be a piece of nonsense as a genuine petition.

I have read the comments - which are nothing to do with whoever started the petition. The point that you're trying to make's a daft one, the thing's been hijacked but that's no reflection on whoever started it. It's like saying that, if a Hibs fan comes and posts a windup on Kickback, Kickback was started by "mischief making Hibs fans".

It never ceases to amaze me the level to which people on Kickback will go to make excuses for the Dhims.

lost in leith
It sadly proves how Ireland has moved on more than the numpties in the West of Scotland.

It also proves how Celtique and Rangers are keeping bigotry alive more than anyone or anywhere else. In the end it must be cringeworthy to people looking in on Scotland when they see many are still all hot and bothered about it all over here.:eek:

Correct.

I remember an interesting chat over 20 years ago with a Catholic pal from Belfast who has a lot of friends in the South. I assumed that the vast majority of folk in the South were in favour of a united Ireland. She didn't agree. In her opinion most of her chums thought Northern Ireland was full of nutters. All a united Ireland would bring was hassle.

Emotionally they wanted it, being sensible people they realised it wasn't worth it in the real world.

I have read the comments - which are nothing to do with whoever started the petition. The point that you're trying to make's a daft one, the thing's been hijacked but that's no reflection on whoever started it. It's like saying that, if a Hibs fan comes and posts a windup on Kickback, Kickback was started by "mischief making Hibs fans".

It never ceases to amaze me the level to which people on Kickback will go to make excuses for the Dhims.

Who's making excuses for them? But do you know the petition isn't a wind-up? You don't - yet jumped to conclusions regardless.

It never ceases to amaze me the level to which people on Kickback will go to satisfy their agenda.

lost in leith

Obviously someone with a name like Shaun has a hidden agenda :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown

I often wondered why there was never any terrorism against scotland during the irish troubles given so much energy & support in the west of scotland was devoted towards it on both sides, why ferries weren't bombed or explosions in stranraer or govan/parkhead etc.

Who's making excuses for them? But do you know the petition isn't a wind-up? You don't - yet jumped to conclusions regardless.

It never ceases to amaze me the level to which people on Kickback will go to satisfy their agenda.

Where's the evidence that the petition's a windup? You're the one jumping to conclusions based on comments made by third parties which the starter of the petition had no control over.

Thinking that, as there's no evidence otherwise, something is probably serious is hardly jumping to a conclusion. What would be jumping to a conclusion would be assuming that it is a windup based on outside input.

Edit : Lost in Leith, I doubt if you're ever likely to say something which will merit a response.

kingantti1874

I worked in dublin for the first 6 months if this year and many points in here confirm what I saw, the vast majority watch and care for English football-no one including about a hundred taxi drivers gave a monkeys about the mhanks! I was surprisednto say the least

Where's the evidence that the petition's a windup? You're the one jumping to conclusions based on comments made by third parties which the starter of the petition had no control over.

Thinking that, as there's no evidence otherwise, something is probably serious is hardly jumping to a conclusion. What would be jumping to a conclusion would be assuming that it is a windup based on outside input.

Edit : Lost in Leith, I doubt if you're ever likely to say something which will merit a response.

I don't assume it's a windup - I merely think it's just as likely. A serious petitioner would not allow their idea to be hijacked by morons.

Edit: Lost in Leith - consider it a compliment, mate!

I worked in dublin for the first 6 months if this year and many points in here confirm what I saw, the vast majority watch and care for English football-no one including about a hundred taxi drivers gave a monkeys about the mhanks! I was surprisednto say the least

I'm not: there's no reason why they should. The League of Ireland, while vastly improved on what it once was, is still one of Europe's less important leagues; and the SPL ain't much cop either. Meanwhile, across the water lies the best known and richest league in the world - so naturally, there are bazillions of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs fans there. Even in NI, there are plenty of fans of English clubs, with Rangers and Celtic tops worn as a pretty base mark of identity, it seems to me.

I don't assume it's a windup - I merely think it's just as likely. A serious petitioner would not allow their idea to be hijacked by morons.

Edit: Lost in Leith - consider it a compliment, mate!

so you think it's just as likely to be a wind-up, the other dude would seem to think it's just as likely to be genuine.

is there any particular reason why he shouldn't be allowed to hold that belief any less than you?

so you think it's just as likely to be a wind-up, the other dude would seem to think it's just as likely to be genuine.

is there any particular reason why he shouldn't be allowed to hold that belief any less than you?

No. He doesn't even appear to have considered the alternative explanation in his OP though, on which I have a jaundiced view given his endless obsession with posting about Celtic.

No. He doesn't even appear to have considered the alternative explanation in his OP though, on which I have a jaundiced view given his endless obsession with posting about Celtic.

so basically you have appointed yourself devil's advocate for anything the guy posts about celtic then?

you know, he might be grown up enough not to require parental guidance.

so basically you have appointed yourself devil's advocate for anything the guy posts about celtic then?

you know, he might be grown up enough not to require parental guidance.

Nope - I'm not playing devil's advocate here. I'm pointing out an alternative point of view to which I subscribe - and am bored witless by his endless posts about the same old thing.

Um, how exactly is he supposed to stop them? It's a public petition, and has to be because if it wasn't, people wouldn't be able to sign it.

You obviously have a pretty strange world view if you think that, based on input which the petition starter couldn't control, this is "just as likely" to be a windup as it is genuine. To me, it seems best to take things at face value until decent evidence arises to suggest otherwise. What you're saying is akin to saying that I started this thread just so that you could come onto it and disagree with me.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I'm not: there's no reason why they should. The League of Ireland, while vastly improved on what it once was, is still one of Europe's less important leagues; and the SPL ain't much cop either. Meanwhile, across the water lies the best known and richest league in the world - so naturally, there are bazillions of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs fans there. Even in NI, there are plenty of fans of English clubs, with Rangers and Celtic tops worn as a pretty base mark of identity, it seems to me.

The same could be said about some posts on this board...:cool: Maybe even, oh, I don't know, on this thread.

lost in leith

So why did you reply then:p

Nope - I'm not playing devil's advocate here. I'm pointing out an alternative point of view to which I subscribe - and am bored witless by his endless posts about the same old thing.

hmmm, ok.

so devil's advocate?

Um, how exactly is he supposed to stop them? It's a public petition, and has to be because if it wasn't, people wouldn't be able to sign it.

You obviously have a pretty strange world view if you think that, based on input which the petition starter couldn't control, this is "just as likely" to be a windup as it is genuine. To me, it seems best to take things at face value until decent evidence arises to suggest otherwise. What you're saying is akin to saying that I started this thread just so that you could come onto it and disagree with me.

Serious petitions involve the petitioner going around asking for signatures. Unmoderated online petitions are a waste of time, for reasons which the comments make obvious. And I'd have a much more reasonable view of why you started this thread if you didn't always start threads on the same old thing.

hmmm, ok.

so devil's advocate?

Devil's advocate would involve me arguing the alternative case for the hell of it, even if I didn't subscribe to it. That isn't the case here.

Serious petitions involve the petitioner going around asking for signatures. Unmoderated online petitions are a waste of time, for reasons which the comments make obvious.

I agree completely, online petitions are totally pointless. A lot of people don't realise this, though, and I don't think that that's a fair reason to take this at anything other than face value.

And I'd have a much more reasonable view of why you started this thread if you didn't always start threads on the same old thing.

In terms of the point that we're discussing, why I started the thread isn't relevant.

Devil's advocate would involve me arguing the alternative case for the hell of it, even if I didn't subscribe to it. That isn't the case here.

isn't it?....... righto.

I agree completely, online petitions are totally pointless. A lot of people don't realise this, though, and I don't think that that's a fair reason to take this at anything other than face value.

In terms of the point that we're discussing, why I started the thread isn't relevant.

A fair response. Incidentally, Celtic fans' faux Irishness and Plastic Paddys tire me out too, and I'd actually sympathise with the petition if I believed it was serious. And for anyone who has Facebook, groups like the below exasperate the heck out of me as well:

http://www.new.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#/group.php?gid=5160944718

Not that I think anyone should edit petitions, but they can be modified and entries erased. Just in case you wondered.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
A fair response. Incidentally, Celtic fans' faux Irishness and Plastic Paddys tire me out too, and I'd actually sympathise with the petition if I believed it was serious. And for anyone who has Facebook, groups like the below exasperate the heck out of me as well:

http://www.new.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#/group.php?gid=5160944718

Celtic have a "hard-earned" reputation.:) Surely it can't be that difficult to be thought of as greetin-faced, paranoid, arrogant fandan thugs, can it?

Not that I think anyone should edit petitions, but they can be modified and entries erased. Just in case you wondered.

If the petition is serious, he'd be well advised to greatly edit the comments in this case.

Celtic have a "hard-earned" reputation.:) Surely it can't be that difficult to be thought of as greetin-faced, paranoid, arrogant fandan thugs, can it?

:)

How do you join the social group 'The Hatred for all things Mhanky' ?

On here? It's by invitation only. ;)

I was aware that that could be the case, but, if you look at the volume of comments received, I don't think that it's unreasonable to suggest that not many people would have the time on their hands to do so. Not to mention the irony of the fact that all of these keyboard warriors dragging his thread off topic are, in fact, adding an extra signature to his petition (which is, of course, one of the main reasons why these things are so pointless).

On here? It's by invitation only. ;)

I was aware that that could be the case, but, if you look at the volume of comments received, I don't think that it's unreasonable to suggest that not many people would have the time on their hands to do so. Not to mention the irony of the fact that all of these keyboard warriors dragging his thread off topic are, in fact, adding an extra signature to his petition (which is, of course, one of the main reasons why these things are so pointless).

As Shaun pointed out, if the creator of the petition was serious about its aims then they probably would have taken the time to do just that. There's no way in the world that anyone would hand that to the Irish Football Association and expect them to take it seriously.

Maybe they just haven't gotten around to doing it yet, though.....

As Shaun pointed out, if the creator of the petition was serious about its aims then they probably would have taken the time to do just that. There's no way in the world that anyone would hand that to the Irish Football Association and expect them to take it seriously.

Or maybe the starter just saw the volume of "signatures" going off topic and lost heart for the whole project? It seems to me that it's overwhelmingly more likely that the petition was started because the starter was ****ed off with the whole thing. The wisdom of starting an internet petition as a way of expressing it's debatable, but I think that a far more valid conclusion to draw would be that it was a daft thing to do rather than that it was done as a windup.

As an aside, if they handed it to the IFA, they'd really be met by confusion! The IFA is the one in Belfast... :)

As an aside, if they handed it to the IFA, they'd really be met by confusion! The IFA is the one in Belfast... :)

Ah. Maybe that's where they went wrong...

It's probably just me though. :laugh:

Or maybe the starter just saw the volume of "signatures" going off topic and lost heart for the whole project? It seems to me that it's overwhelmingly more likely that the petition was started because the starter was ****ed off with the whole thing. The wisdom of starting an internet petition as a way of expressing it's debatable, but I think that a far more valid conclusion to draw would be that it was a daft thing to do rather than that it was done as a windup.

Maybe it was borne of good intentions, who knows. Even if it has been hijacked, the concept is still getting attention....just maybe not the sort of attention they intended.

Rudolf's Mate
Negativity is bad, so I'm going to phrase this is a positive way : my thanks to those who've managed to stay on topic.

You should think about being a MP as you don't have like an arguement :rolleyes:

Archived