Famine song officially deemed racist by a court of law.

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Stumbled across this on the pie and bovril forum

http://www.kilmarnockstandard.co.uk/ayrshi...81430-22348515/

Which basically states that a Rangers fan has been charged with breach of the peace for singing the famine song at Rugby Park. I couldn't help but laugh at the name of the Rangers supporter though, he's called William Walls, now is it just me or does anyone else think that he changed his name by deed poll? :D

Colonel Kurtz

Which basically states that a Rangers fan has been charged with breach of the peace for singing the famine song at Rugby Park. I couldn't help but laugh at the name of the Rangers supporter though, he's called William Walls, now is it just me or does anyone else think that he changed his name by deed poll? :D

Is his middlename Derry

The article seems to say although the judge said it was racial, he was only found guilty of BOP, rather than racially aggravated BOP.

If this is the case then it hasnt been deemed racist by a court in a precedent or legal way

Colonel Kurtz

Sheriifs in Ayrshire would acquit pastor jack Glass,a well known one ruled that The Sash was a folk song a few years ago

Thin his name was Hall,they named a roundabout after him

The article seems to say although the judge said it was racial, he was only found guilty of BOP, rather than racially aggravated BOP.

If this is the case then it hasnt been deemed racist by a court in a precedent or legal way

Not that a precedent from Kilmarnock Sheriff Court would be worth all that much anyway.

I thought the more interesting thing was that

Nicola Tait, 24, said that one of her tasks was to monitor the Rangers support for sectarian behaviour, including the singing of the "Famine Song".

"The ?Famine Song? is one song that is not tolerated by Rangers," she told the court.

Miss Tait ? a club steward for the last three years ? said that her instructions were to take the seat numbers of those guilty of sectarian behaviour and report them to Rangers for further action.

etc..

It looks as if, for once, those in charge at Rangers are actually doing something rather than just talking about doing something.

Oops double post.

Not that a precedent from Kilmarnock Sheriff Court would be worth all that much anyway.

I thought the more interesting thing was that

Nicola Tait, 24, said that one of her tasks was to monitor the Rangers support for sectarian behaviour, including the singing of the "Famine Song".

"The ?Famine Song? is one song that is not tolerated by Rangers," she told the court.

Miss Tait ? a club steward for the last three years ? said that her instructions were to take the seat numbers of those guilty of sectarian behaviour and report them to Rangers for further action.

etc..

It looks as if, for once, those in charge at Rangers are actually doing something rather than just talking about doing something.

Not really

If they were that bothered, they would appoint someone, with lots of legal experience who knew what too do and what would be binding rather than some minimum wage girl barely out of her teens.

Its a token gesture so they can say there doing something

Not really

If they were that bothered, they would appoint someone, with lots of legal experience who knew what too do and what would be binding rather than some minimum wage girl barely out of her teens.

That was my first thoughts also but i suppose we should judge her on results ie. fans being banned from ibrox , i think they (rfc)need to show they are actively enforcing this so any banning should be made public.

The famine is not over in your house Mitchell. :)

People in glass houses....:rolleyes:

Buffalo Bill

Nelly Terraces
I'll whisper it mate, but he's probably right :laugh:

Fair do's chief. I've never met you, but I have heard that you could quite possibly physically be described as being a tad 'rotund'...:P

Not really

I should point out that i said "doing something" as opposed to "doing enough"

Given that Rangers are charging an extra 5% on away ticket sales I can see that they could almost afford to send a couple of Queens Counsel to each away game but Ms.Tait seems to have done her job effectively enough despite being female and under 40.

I should point out that i said "doing something" as opposed to "doing enough"

Given that Rangers are charging an extra 5% on away ticket sales I can see that they could almost afford to send a couple of Queens Counsel to each away game but Ms.Tait seems to have done her job effectively enough despite being female and under 40.

Doing something is a lot more than their other half is doing. They horrible mhanks fall into the "doing absolutely nothing" category!

I signed up for Follow Follow (as I have done with other forums to see what the chat is!) and received this e-mail from them today:-

This morning at 9am an MEP from the Irish Republic will be on Radio Scotland to

discuss the Famine Chant/Song issue.

There are several points we need to make.

1/ The Famine Chant came first - around October last year. It clearly mocks the

faux Irishness of a section of Celtic fans. Normal football rivalry.

2/ The Famine Song has NEVER been suing at Ibrox or away from home. It?s first

appearance was on Youtube on 8th April. So Celtic fans are complaining about

Rangers fans

Note bias of BBC Scotland who ignored two lengthy statements by Jimmy Spratt MP

about Celtic fans singing the praises of the IRA - Jimmy is the ex-Chairman of

the Northern Ireland Police Federation as well as an elected representative.

0500-929500 is the phone-in number

Guest S.U.S.S.

Ah good, a green light then.;)

I signed up for Follow Follow (as I have done with other forums to see what the chat is!) and received this e-mail from them today:-

This morning at 9am an MEP from the Irish Republic will be on Radio Scotland to

discuss the Famine Chant/Song issue.

There are several points we need to make.

1/ The Famine Chant came first - around October last year. It clearly mocks the

faux Irishness of a section of Celtic fans. Normal football rivalry.

2/ The Famine Song has NEVER been suing at Ibrox or away from home. It?s first

appearance was on Youtube on 8th April. So Celtic fans are complaining about

Rangers fans

Note bias of BBC Scotland who ignored two lengthy statements by Jimmy Spratt MP

about Celtic fans singing the praises of the IRA - Jimmy is the ex-Chairman of

the Northern Ireland Police Federation as well as an elected representative.

0500-929500 is the phone-in number

Some may find this interesting or not but

I took my Irish girlfriend to her first ever football game v. Celtic a few weeks back. In the build up I was explaining a few things about the rivalry between the 2 clubs, the perception Hearts fans follow (follow) everything the Rangers fans do, en masse. Now her comments:-

- The famine song is not offensive, quite funny if you think about it.

- Pro terrosists chanting is offensive

At the game she found 2 things offensive

- The Soldier Song should never be sung in English, only irish gaelic.

- That I spend as much money on all the football as I do - especially Hearts as they were awful that day

Thunderstruck

The cretins who prolong the sectarian bile - on both sides of the equation -need to wake up to the fact that Ireland has moved on and left them behind.

A moving example of this was shown on the BBC news this lunchtime in the funeral of a young lad from Co Mayo who was killed serving with the Royal Marines. That his colleagues could parade, in uniform, through his home town as part of the cort?ge is a sad if informative look at modern-day Irish attitudes.

I don't want the famine song sung by Hearts fans because it's a Rangers song and it's deemed to be sectarian/racist

BUT

What is so sectarian/racist about it?

The cretins who prolong the sectarian bile - on both sides of the equation -need to wake up to the fact that Ireland has moved on and left them behind.

A moving example of this was shown on the BBC news this lunchtime in the funeral of a young lad from Co Mayo who was killed serving with the Royal Marines. That his colleagues could parade, in uniform, through his home town as part of the cort?ge is a sad if informative look at modern-day Irish attitudes.

Along with the news that Irish volunteer numbers for the British forces have quadrupled in the last 3 years. In addition, the Irish President attended the re-dedication/re-opening of an Orange Lodge in Co Cavan.

Some may find this interesting or not but

I took my Irish girlfriend to her first ever football game v. Celtic a few weeks back. In the build up I was explaining a few things about the rivalry between the 2 clubs, the perception Hearts fans follow (follow) everything the Rangers fans do, en masse. Now her comments:-

- The famine song is not offensive, quite funny if you think about it.

- Pro terrosists chanting is offensive

At the game she found 2 things offensive

- The Soldier Song should never be sung in English, only irish gaelic.

- That I spend as much money on all the football as I do - especially Hearts as they were awful that day

I'm Irish and a role reversal of your situation, My Girlfriend is a season ticket holder at Tynecastle and when i moved over here i started to go to games, (not my 1st love i have to say).

i find the Famine song offensive, i find the singing of Amhr?n_na_bhFiann in Enghlish offensive, but then i find Celtic Repulsive so.....

+ Mr Romanovs costs arent that bad, try going to croke park to watch GAA

But i think the famine song is shocking, should i go home too, i go to Tynecastle most weeks i'm not working and would hate for that to be sung around me

I don't want the famine song sung by Hearts fans because it's a Rangers song and it's deemed to be sectarian/racist

BUT

You mean

What is so sectarian/racist about asking the decendants of immigrants to 'go home' to the country of their ancestors?

I'm Irish and a role reversal of your situation, My Girlfriend is a season ticket holder at Tynecastle and when i moved over here i started to go to games, (not my 1st love i have to say).

i find the Famine song offensive, i find the singing of Amhr?n_na_bhFiann in Enghlish offensive, but then i find Celtic Repulsive so.....

But i think the famine song is shocking, should i go home too, i go to Tynecastle most weeks i'm not working and would hate for that to be sung around me

Hopefully certain posters on here will read this and re-evaluate.

Just what is wrong with his name?

William Walls?

I do beleive they make really good icecream.:)

The Old Tolbooth
Fair do's chief. I've never met you, but I have heard that you could quite possibly physically be described as being a tad 'rotund'...:P

If you remove the "t" from rotund, then your closer to the mark :P

You mean

What is so sectarian/racist about asking the decendants of immigrants to 'go home' to the country of their ancestors?

Look I'm not defending the song, so don't tar me as a Rangers apologist.

I heard all the fuss/controversy before I heard the song, so when I heard the song- I didn't really get all the fuss.

It seems to me the song is more a pop at the extent to which Celtic fans will go to with regards to their Irishness. Maybe i'm just being naive.

Either way I don't want to get into an argument/debate about it because i don't particularly care about a pointless song that has nothing to do with Hearts.

portobellojambo1

BUT

Emmmmmmm, nothing at all. The few words are I believe, "The famine is over, why don't you go home".

Try though I have I can find no mention of any race within any of the above quoted words. Part of it is a factual statement, the famine is over (although it doesn't actually make it clear which one), the other part is a simple request.

As far as I can determine from the above the song is not directed at any one race/nationality of people presently living within the UK, it is directed at a section of the support of a Glasgow football club, and you only have to do minor searches on the internet to realise what that section of said support thinks of this country, and living within it. To give them factual information and ask them why they do not relocate based on that factual information seems like a reasonable request to make.

If Celtic fans are looking for things to complain about they should be writing en masse (no pun intended) to the Board of Directors of their club with regards to some of the persons I saw wearing their strips during a match versus Aalborg the other evening. Some of them are apparently referred to in the media as football players, the names Samaras, Caldwell and Loovens spring to mind, which if I were a Celtic fan I would find highly offensive.

Johanes de Silentio

The song itself is obviously not helpful in solving this horrible sectarian issue.

However, just once...I'd like to hear a Celtic fan answer the question:

If Ireland is as great as you're always saying it is...why don't you move there?

And precisely when will a judge make a ruling on the public singing of songs in praise of terrorists?

This decision was reached as the prosecutor successfully (sp?) argued that although the line "The famine is over, why don't you go home?" isn't racist and is only a dig at Dhims' plastic paddy attitude, by singing those words the singer was associating himself with the verses of the song, which are basically a rant against Ireland.

Fair enough, I suppose, but I've never heard anyone actually singing the verses. It could be argued that those are more of an add on. Certainly, when just singing the chorus, the song isn't sectarian or racist in the slightest.

Emmmmmmm, nothing at all. The few words are I believe, "The famine is over, why don't you go home".

Try though I have I can find no mention of any race within any of the above quoted words. Part of it is a factual statement, the famine is over (although it doesn't actually make it clear which one), the other part is a simple request.

As far as I can determine from the above the song is not directed at any one race/nationality of people presently living within the UK, it is directed at a section of the support of a Glasgow football club, and you only have to do minor searches on the internet to realise what that section of said support thinks of this country, and living within it. To give them factual information and ask them why they do not relocate based on that factual information seems like a reasonable request to make.

If Celtic fans are looking for things to complain about they should be writing en masse (no pun intended) to the Board of Directors of their club with regards to some of the persons I saw wearing their strips during a match versus Aalborg the other evening. Some of them are apparently referred to in the media as football players, the names Samaras, Caldwell and Loovens spring to mind, which if I were a Celtic fan I would find highly offensive.

Yes. A song about the Irish potato famine is not aimed at one particular race. :o

And if like magic....

:P

I doubt you're the type to worry about offending other Hearts fans. Looking forward to Saturday? Sure you'll be falling over yourself to tell the witty thinkers in the Rangers end how funny you think their jokes are. Might even keep you as a pet. :)

Yes. A song about the Irish potato famine is not aimed at one particular race. :o

Whether you're being deliberately obtuse is hard to tell, so I'll humour you.

The song (the chorus, at least) is about Celtic fans' Plastic Paddy mentality, it's poking fun at the fact that they claim to love Ireland so much but stay in Scotland when there's nothing to stop them going to Ireland - hence the mention of the famine.

The song itself is obviously not helpful in solving this horrible sectarian issue.

However, just once...I'd like to hear a Celtic fan answer the question:

If Ireland is as great as you're always saying it is...why don't you move there?

Why do you care? Should people only love the country they reside in?

If you'd like to hear an answer go ask one. I'm sure they'll tell you quite rightly that it's none of your business where they live.

The song (the chorus, at least) is about Celtic fans' Plastic Paddy mentality,

In your opinion. I think you are giving the Rangers fans who invented this song too much credit. In my opinion.

Why do you care? Should people only love the country they reside in?

If you'd like to hear an answer go ask one. I'm sure they'll tell you quite rightly that it's none of your business where they live.

I'd like to ask them why they sing songs glorifying a murderous terrorist organisation.

But suppose I shouldn't - it's their business :rolleyes:

Couldn't care less. Sung by bellends, aimed at bellends.

Sung by bellends, aimed at the dirtiest ****iest barstewards in existence :mad::mad::mad:

I'd like to ask them why they sing songs glorifying a murderous terrorist organisation.

But suppose I shouldn't - it's their business :rolleyes:

Yes. I definitely see what your post had to do with my post. Thanks for sharing.

Toxteth O'Grady
Whether you're being deliberately obtuse is hard to tell, so I'll humour you.

The song (the chorus, at least) is about Celtic fans' Plastic Paddy mentality, it's poking fun at the fact that they claim to love Ireland so much but stay in Scotland when there's nothing to stop them going to Ireland - hence the mention of the famine.

That is exactly how I see it, - Weedgies with their Cheeky Oirish flags.

I P Knightley

Fully appreciate your take on this but my understanding of it is that the Huns are not saying "we don't like or want Irish people in Scotland/Glasgow." They're targeting just the Celtic fans who have spent decades singing Irish and pro-IRA songs at them in their nasty, weegie accents (the majority).

It feels peculiar for me to be attributing higher thought processes to either side of the OF fanbase but I really don't see that the song is racist at all. True, it may be judged offensive by those who carry the hurt of the famine(s) and all the nastiness around that but there are far more offensive things chanted at football matches as a matter of course. Ask Victoria Beckham.

Fully appreciate your take on this but my understanding of it is that the Huns are not saying "we don't like or want Irish people in Scotland/Glasgow." They're targeting just the Celtic fans who have spent decades singing Irish and pro-IRA songs at them in their nasty, weegie accents (the majority).

That may or may not be true but I've little sympathy for anybody who ends up in trouble because they're stupid enough to believe that subtle distinction will be obvious.

It feels peculiar for me to be attributing higher thought processes to either side of the OF fanbase but I really don't see that the song is racist at all. True, it may be judged offensive by those who carry the hurt of the famine(s) and all the nastiness around that but there are far more offensive things chanted at football matches as a matter of course. Ask Victoria Beckham.

I dont want to carry on the debate really, I can appreciate that it's just football and that some songs are sung in this country that people get a bit of a laugh from. After all it is only a joke really isn't it......perhaps it is political correctness gone mad. Maybe the famine never even happened.

you know without condoning the singing of this ditty for one moment....

there is nothing more absurd than the British public on a moral crusade.

The best way not to take offence to something is to completely ignore it.

Those quick to anger are as much to blame for the escalating of tension as those who provoke them and for Murray and Reid to have added their hapworth is not helpful - they should have set an example by displaying unity.

This debate has no end - it will result in upset, violence and maybe worse and is a sad indicment of the divisions that exist in our so called civilised society.

and quite what place it has in football is way beyond me

Archived