Famine song officially deemed racist by a court of law.

The Old Tolbooth

Can I ask a silly question?

Can we arrest all the imbeciles of the Tartan Army when they start singing about sending the English home in our so called national anthem?

Or am I being obtuse?

Can we arrest all the imbeciles of the Tartan Army when they start singing about sending the English home in our so called national anthem?

Or am I being obtuse?

I am sure legally we could, there has been very similar cases.

I can't see it happening though, we could probably get the TA done for various crimes including BOP, Drunk offences, Flashing etc etc, but we don't.

I detest the TA:mad:

Guest S.U.S.S.
I doubt you're the type to worry about offending other Hearts fans. Looking forward to Saturday? Sure you'll be falling over yourself to tell the witty thinkers in the Rangers end how funny you think their jokes are. Might even keep you as a pet. :)

Unlike you, i think and speak for myself, i dont pretend to be something im not.

Keep up the good work, your posts are most entertaining.

Good luck against Inverness this weekend.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Or am I being obtuse?

Be gone with you heathen!;)

uv done it not, the tartain terrorists will be after you:)

the whole legislation over what consitutes racist or offensive crime is a complete mire

Since New Labour came to power in 1997 there have been 3605 new criminal offences added to the statue books. That is one for every day they have been in power.

last year a student was arrested for calling a police horse "gay".

The whole situation is completely absurd. The introduction of ASBOS and the ability of organisations such as local councils to bypass the court systems in their pursuit of illegal parkers or council tax 'evaders' are examples of the way our liberties have been perniciously chipped away at over the last 10 years.

many of these new laws have been brought in by ministerial decree - ie they have not been debated in parliament by our elected representitives - instead they are debated on the floor of the courtroom where thanks to changes in the legal aid system poorer defendents are more than ever likely to feel the weight of the state and it is left to level headed judges to throw out such cases when they get to court.

Our laws over what is deemed racist, homophobic or sectarian are ambiguous and confusing for offender and prosecutor alike, waste vast amounts of police time and are in danger of interfering our rights for freedom of speech which is a corner stone of our civilisation. The state should not decide what is offensive or what is not - it is up to society as a whole to set the moral tone of the nation.....at the moment ....where do you draw the line? prosecute one fan for singing a ditty but ignore 30000 following the same?

in this instance the law is a complete and utter a$$

I can't see it happening though, we could probably get the TA done for various crimes including BOP, Drunk offences, Flashing etc etc, but we don't.

I think that the territorial army is nothing more than a hobby for most people is it not, after all most of the wars nowadays are won with technology and missiles etc.

Not sure i have any grievance with a bunch of fat guys running around a field, cant say that they would be worthy of punishment or any sort of legal action

Guest Dipped Flake

With all the garbage you post on here I am so glad you are another TA hater, it has really cheered me up to know that I will never have to share Hampden with someone with as many weird ideas as youself. Can't believe you actually had the time to post on any thread bar the 'hang JB' one though

With all the garbage you post on here I am so glad you are another TA hater, it has really cheered me up to know that I will never have to share Hampden with someone with as many weird ideas as youself. Can't believe you actually had the time to post on any thread bar the 'hang JB' one though

Um are the TA the only people allowed to support scotland?

I will happily attend games, and support my country, I just wont act like a caveman/imbecile in the process and think its acceptable simply because I am a member of the TA.

I think that the territorial army is nothing more than a hobby for most people is it not, after all most of the wars nowadays are won with technology and missiles etc.

Not sure i have any grievance with a bunch of fat guys running around a field, cant say that they would be worthy of punishment or any sort of legal action

I know you are joking but

tell that to the TA guys who are in Afganistan at the moment!

out of the 25,000 members of the ta 11,000 have so far been deployed in recent wars. Most are former members of the armed forces and are able to be called back to serve having left the military. The image of the fatty weekend soldier is I'm afraid way removed from the truth.

My colleague at work left the army as a serjeant 5 years ago - he's got a wife, 2 wee kids and he's just been called up to Afganistan for the nexst 12-24 months and it is no joke for him or his family...daddy's not home for christmas

I wish the TA was a load of Mainwairings - unfortunately they are as much part of our military as the regulars are these days thanks to all these wars we seem to like fighting!

anyway - maybe we should send the "real TA" instead! I personally approve of the tartan army which seems to be the only time scottish fitba fans put aside their gripes and follow a common cause

I know you are joking but

tell that to the TA guys who are in Afganistan at the moment!

out of the 25,000 members of the ta 11,000 have so far been deployed in recent wars. Most are former members of the armed forces and are able to be called back to serve having left the military. The image of the fatty weekend soldier is I'm afraid way removed from the truth.

My colleague at work left the army as a serjeant 5 years ago - he's got a wife, 2 wee kids and he's just been called up to Afganistan for the nexst 12-24 months and it is no joke for him or his family...daddy's not home for christmas

I wish the TA was a load of Mainwairings - unfortunately they are as much part of our military as the regulars are these days thanks to all these wars we seem to like fighting!

anyway - maybe we should send the "real TA" instead! I personally approve of the tartan army which seems to be the only time scottish fitba fans put aside their gripes and follow a common cause

Tartan army......right you are Ted!

Didnt make the connection

Colonel Kurtz
the whole legislation over what consitutes racist or offensive crime is a complete mire

Since New Labour came to power in 1997 there have been 3605 new criminal offences added to the statue books. That is one for every day they have been in power.

last year a student was arrested for calling a police horse "gay".

The whole situation is completely absurd. The introduction of ASBOS and the ability of organisations such as local councils to bypass the court systems in their pursuit of illegal parkers or council tax 'evaders' are examples of the way our liberties have been perniciously chipped away at over the last 10 years.

many of these new laws have been brought in by ministerial decree - ie they have not been debated in parliament by our elected representitives - instead they are debated on the floor of the courtroom where thanks to changes in the legal aid system poorer defendents are more than ever likely to feel the weight of the state and it is left to level headed judges to throw out such cases when they get to court.

Our laws over what is deemed racist, homophobic or sectarian are ambiguous and confusing for offender and prosecutor alike, waste vast amounts of police time and are in danger of interfering our rights for freedom of speech which is a corner stone of our civilisation. The state should not decide what is offensive or what is not - it is up to society as a whole to set the moral tone of the nation.....at the moment ....where do you draw the line? prosecute one fan for singing a ditty but ignore 30000 following the same?

in this instance the law is a complete and utter a$$

A gay Horse?

What was it called

Mrs Ed

Pink Rum

Eyesdhadowfax

A gay Horse?

What was it called

Mrs Ed

Pink Rum

Eyesdhadowfax

officer I'm "shaking with rage"

arrest the Col. at once I say!!!

Unlike you, i think and speak for myself, i dont pretend to be something im not.

Keep up the good work, your posts are most entertaining.

Good luck against Inverness this weekend.

Yup. Nicking jokes from another team certainly shows what an original thinker you are.

And then the accusing someone who disagrees with you of being an opposition team's supporter angle. Genius. Completely unprecedented.

A gay Horse?

What was it called

Mrs Ed

Pink Rum

Eyesdhadowfax

Fistabraq......:eek:

passthebiscuit

The Ar$kle

ahem

ill get me coat

Couldn't agree more Prancer. The TA are an embarassment to the country. The whole "famine song" thing has grown arms and legs aided and abetted by our politicians who listen to nonenties like Irish MEPs whoever they may be??

There seems to be a perception that it is OK in the UK to abuse "majority" groups eg England, America etc but as soon as you "offend" a minority group then all hell breaks loose!!

I will reiterate Donald Findlay's point from several years ago....football is organised bigotry, in whatever form, for 90 minutes on a Sat afternoon. In itself, it harms nobody! Hand wringing politicians talk a good game but in reality the police, SPL, SFA etc are unwilling to bite the hand that feeds them and do anything to stop it.

So, my advice to anyone who is "offended" is IGNORE IT. Nobody has a god-given entitlement to stroll through life without being offended at some point.

Archived