What player sale left you wounded?

Buffalo Bill

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charlie-Brown
In three and a half years as a Kickbacker, I have never started an opinion poll, but I wished I had now.

What I love about this thread is that is shows quite evidently that it's 'pain' and 'disappointment' that brings us all together!!

Lots of different names have cropped up, from lots of decades.

Numerous mentions for Neil McCann in particular; I guess the first of the 98 big guns to go (bar JR).

Buffalo Bill

And of course Dave McPherson BB. :)

Dave Bowman was the first.

We were really bad back then and Bowman, MacKay and Robbo were the ones sent to save us so I didn't really get it.

It was kinda strange getting Disco Dave back again when McLaren went West.

If I remember right, he seemed to be coming back to Tynie under duress. Great second spell, though.

Deep down I knew a lot of players had outgrown Hearts, or Hearts needed the money.

Terry was a blow, but I was rather peeved that Alan Johnstone chose to go abroad when he did.

Charlie-Brown
It was kinda strange getting Disco Dave back again when McLaren went West.

If I remember right, he seemed to be coming back to Tynie under duress. Great second spell, though.

It must be rather rare to have played for 2 teams twice - does anybody know of any other examples apart from McPherson?

Deep down I knew a lot of players had outgrown Hearts, or Hearts needed the money.

Terry was a blow, but I was rather peeved that Alan Johnstone chose to go abroad when he did.

And RENNES, FFS!!!!!

It wasn't exactly PSG or Olympique Marseilles.

Go and join the Wigan of France, why dontcha!!!

Who was the dude from Aberdeen who went with him?

Charlie-Brown
And RENNES, FFS!!!!!

It was a Bosman dodge for players under 24 could go abroad without any compensation then return home 6 months later.......

It was a Bosman dodge for players under 24 could go abroad without any compensation then return home 6 months later.......

I did have the nagging that we were being shafted (yet again)

Dagger Is Back
Eammon Bannon to chealsea when i was a young kid but none since then, it's just a fact of football, new stars always emerge sooner or later

What was the song?

Oh no Parker selt me

I don't want to go to Chelsea

Robbo really hurt - I even wrote a letter to him at Newcastle begging him to comeback :eek:

But Big Davie was still around until the spring of 1999.

McCann was sold first around November/Dec 1998.

Buffalo Bill

Neil McCann

I remember turning up at the Celtic game and being told he was not in the squad as Rangers had made a bid....... I watched the whole game in denial.... (did we win 2-1???) anyway I still refused to believe it was going to happen after all Hearts were now the Third Force and challenging the OF... why would we sell a player to them??? Made no sense. I'm sure we then played St Johnstone in mid-week and I prayed he would somehow be in the squad.

Then we played Rangers and as has been stated he was on the bench and warmed up in front of the home end... some people booed... some shouted abuse..... some clapped him... most of us (well it seemed like that to me) sat in silence.... still couldn't believe he had gone.

In a funny way though I suppose thats what being a Hearts fan is all about.

http://scotsport.podbean.com

Thig Ar Latha

Gary Naismith. We lost a few players, but selling your only left back just before a Derby at ER was a sidkener. For all that Fulton could play a bit, he was never a left back.

Was sad when Scott Crabbe went. Remember after his last game running over to the shed and throwing his shirt into the crowd. Will never forget his 35 yarder into the huns.

I was absolutely gutted when Scott Crabbe left, the way it happened was farcical, the boy was in tears throwing his shirt into the shed.

Robbo was a tough one to take as well.

Did i 'hurt' when Bannon, Robbo, Weir, McCann, Cameron, or Niemi were sold.?

No, because it meant the survial and continuation of the club i love, so 'hurt' would be the wrong word for me.

While i was dissappointed that the club were in a situation where we had to sell those players to survive, i could understand it had to be done at times when we needed the cash to keep our club afloat and bring through the next set of players to keep that merry-go-round going.

With regards to the players named above, we were robbed, selling on the buyers terms because of our desperate situation, compared to the difference when it came to selling Gordon, top whack was received when it was on our terms.

Did i 'hurt' when Bannon, Robbo, Weir, McCann, Cameron, or Niemi were sold.?

No, because it meant the survial and continuation of the club i love, so 'hurt' would be the wrong word for me.

While i was dissappointed that the club were in a situation where we had to sell those players to survive, i could understand it had to be done at times when we needed the cash to keep our club afloat and bring through the next set of players to keep that merry-go-round going.

With regards to the players named above, we were robbed, selling on the buyers terms because of our desperate situation, compared to the difference when it came to selling Gordon, top whack was received when it was on our terms.

Very few times have we got a fair price for a player we've sold on to a 'bigger' club.

Mike Galloway springs to mind. Craig Gordon the other.

Buffalo Bill

Crabbo most definately for me. Broke my heart that did although big Justin Fashanu leaving left a bitter aftertaste.

Oh matron!

And RENNES, FFS!!!!!

Gary Smith.

Colin cameron was the only player who at the time I went down to Tynie after the news broke and joined a group of about twenty saying 'we want pieman out, we want pieman out!' Bit embarrassing now but I remember at the time being absolutely furious at the sale and wanted Robinson to explain the low fee also, was it not only ?2 million all in, absolute steal for a Hearts great. There was a wee group of us talking to the security and then a director came out, cany mind his name but he explained the sale, needless to say he got a bit of a going over but in an debating way, nae abuse was given, just tough questioning, to be fair to the guy he was on a hiding to nothing and just walked away eventually. Think he was the finance guy at the time, cany mind.

so mickey, you are the only player I have been so gutted about leaving that i went down to tynie to protest, must've been some player I tell ye!!

good memories that outside tynie in a wee protest, cheers for the thread bill.

mind when naysmith left was gutted aswell, great young player and a jambo but it was almost ok as he was moving to a high level. I think Cameron left a)because we needed the cash and B) (allegedly) bad personal circumstances at the time. Wolves weren't exactly premiership class at the time and in fact never have been.

Id certainly take that these days. Atleast there was communication with the fans, i would have quite liked somebody to have came and explained to me Burleys departure, amonst others.

I was disappointed when Ralph Callachan was sold as we didn't really have a good team at all at that point and he was probably the one bright spark at the time.

And although it was a "needs must" sale I also thought selling Cammy Fraser (to Dundee!) was a sale that was going to hurt us, and it did (we were left pretty much with total crap). He was a very underrated player.

Ralph was a shock to me as well.....compounded when he went to Hibs a wee while later. :(

Cammy Fraser was very under-rated and not at all liked by some fans.

And don't mention Derek Addison to St. Johnstone. A low time for Hearts.

Ralph was a shock to me as well.....compounded when he went to Hibs a wee while later. :(

We were skint at the time and in danger of going under. The purchase of Addison and Pettigrew were a big part of the problem.

Charlie-Brown

Was Addison not a forced sale by the SFL as we hadn't paid Dundee Utd what we were due them for buying Addison & Pettigrew? We got banned from making any transfer signings for a while after that.

The sale of Alan McLaren hurt like hell at the time. These days we'd probably see getting a 7 figure transfer fee plus a full Scottish international in part exchange as a good deal. Neil McCann and Colin Cameron were real sore ones too.

Can't understand those who were 'gutted' when Niemi was sold. It was on the cards for ages prior to his departure and frankly he was too good for the SPL. Plus as I argued when we sold Craig Gordon, you simply don't need a top class goalkeeper to be competitive in our league.

Charlie-Brown
The sale of Alan McLaren hurt like hell at the time. These days we'd probably see getting a 7 figure transfer fee plus a full Scottish international in part exchange as a good deal. Neil McCann and Colin Cameron were real sore ones too.

Can't understand those who were 'gutted' when Niemi was sold. It was on the cards for ages prior to his departure and frankly he was too good for the SPL. Plus as I argued when we sold Craig Gordon, you simply don't need a top class goalkeeper to be competitive in our league.

It's never pleasing or easy when our best players leave although in the case of Gordon, Niemi and also Cameron & Naysmith to an extent had outgrown the league/level they were playing at so you can understand why they'd want to progress their careers.....

Nice avatar Martin. :):thumb:

It's never pleasing or easy when our best players leave although in the case of Gordon, Niemi and also Cameron & Naysmith to an extent had outgrown the league/level they were playing at so you can understand why they'd want to progress their careers.....

Nice avatar Martin. :):thumb:

Your nostalgic contributions are far more pleasant to read than your unfounded allegations of xenephobia Charlie.:P

I've never been against Hearts selling players, it is a fact of life for a club of our size. What has always been irksome however is that we have rarely given the manager in charge any of the fee's received to find a suitable replacement. The Ajax model, a combination of home produced players allied to value for money purchases, has always been the ideal model for Hearts to follow in my opinion.

Charlie-Brown
Your nostalgic contributions are far more pleasant to read than your unfounded allegations of xenephobia Charlie.:P

I've never been against Hearts selling players, it is a fact of life for a club of our size. What has always been irksome however is that we have rarely given the manager in charge any of the fee's received to find a suitable replacement. The Ajax model, a combination of home produced players allied to value for money purchases, has always been the ideal model for Hearts to follow in my opinion.

Unfortunately Hearts have seldom been run in a sustainable way that cash from player sales afforded us a transfer kitty, generally they had to repay debts/deficits.....the only time I remember us making financial progress and subsequent on-field progress was in the period between 1983-1992 when the club generally ran at break even/small profit and european windfalls funded the acquisition of some decent players, but stadium reconstruction then bosman then player wage inflation etc meant balancing the books has never been an easy or appealing prospect given that Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibs & Dundee Utd all spent several seasons in the bottom six when they undertook necessary cost cutting and Livingston & Dundee etc fell out the SPL.

We were skint at the time and in danger of going under. The purchase of Addison and Pettigrew were a big part of the problem.

We were indeed but Addison was our best player the previous season imo and we had to sell him to first division rivals St. Johnstone. It was a pretty low point.

Glamorgan Jambo

As a youngster i was really gutted at the transfer of Ralph Callachan to Newcastle.

The most nonsensical transfer has to be Donald Park to Partick for my all time hate figure in a maroon strip John Craig.

The transfer that most convinced me of the incompetence of the board at the time was Colin Camerons to Wolves. I know he wanted to leave but we weren't too long from getting the much over hyped SMG cash.

As a youngster i was really gutted at the transfer of Ralph Callachan to Newcastle.

The most nonsensical transfer has to be Donald Park to Partick for my all time hate figure in a maroon strip John Craig.

The transfer that most convinced me of the incompetence of the board at the time was Colin Camerons to Wolves. I know he wanted to leave but we weren't too long from getting the much over hyped SMG cash.

Cameron left in 2001, we received the SMG cash in 1999. We had already sold Naysmith in 2000 following receipt of the SMG 'investment'.

Glamorgan Jambo
Cameron left in 2001, we received the SMG cash in 1999. We had already sold Naysmith in 2000 following receipt of the SMG 'investment'.

I'm well aware of the chronology Martin. I guess I bought Pieman's spin after the sale of Naysmith but as far as I remember he came straight out and said all the Cameron cash was going into balancing opearting losses which lead me to the immediate conclusion that the SMG loan was never going to be converted and we were truly 'Donald ucked' which as it just so happens was true.

The Buzzbomb leaving for Toronto Blizzard...I was gutted... :cry:

Lynn:ninja:

I wished I'd seen him play, Lynn.

Buffalo Bill

I wished I'd seen him play, Lynn.

Buffalo Bill

You should have seen him play when he came back playing for Morton. Nearly killed Alex Macdonald(?) IIRC. :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown
You should have seen him play when he came back playing for Morton. Nearly killed Alex Macdonald(?) IIRC. :rolleyes:

He did and he got dogs abuse for it, was he not also fighting with Willie McVie?

He did and he got dogs abuse for it, was he not also fighting with Willie McVie?

I think he was. Definitely still as hard as nails though a bit older than when he left.

LOL! Aye, I remember that. He was never one to hold back on a tackle:p

Lynn:ninja:

Hard to believe he was/is such a humble, rather shy gentleman OFF the pitch! :eek:

Sadly(:eek:) 80/81 was a season before my (Hearts supporting) time.

Buffalo Bill

Archived