What player sale left you wounded?

Buffalo Bill

For me it was Colin Cameron to Wolves in 2001. Gutted, as I loved the wee man. What a player he was.

I decided after that not to get too attached.

Another one was not a sale, but an enforced retirement: Levein in 1997, two years after he last kicked a ball, so lets include that sort of thing too in this thread - players leaving in general.

Buffalo Bill

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me it was Colin Cameron to Wolves in 2001. Gutted, as I loved the wee man. What a player he was.

I decided after that not to get too attached.

Another one was not a sale, but an enforced retirement: Levein in 1997, two years after he last kicked a ball, so lets include that sort of thing too in this thread - players leaving in general.

Buffalo Bill

Prob most gutted at Niemi and Cameron.

Colin cameron was the only player who at the time I went down to Tynie after the news broke and joined a group of about twenty saying 'we want pieman out, we want pieman out!' Bit embarrassing now but I remember at the time being absolutely furious at the sale and wanted Robinson to explain the low fee also, was it not only ?2 million all in, absolute steal for a Hearts great. There was a wee group of us talking to the security and then a director came out, cany mind his name but he explained the sale, needless to say he got a bit of a going over but in an debating way, nae abuse was given, just tough questioning, to be fair to the guy he was on a hiding to nothing and just walked away eventually. Think he was the finance guy at the time, cany mind.

so mickey, you are the only player I have been so gutted about leaving that i went down to tynie to protest, must've been some player I tell ye!!

good memories that outside tynie in a wee protest, cheers for the thread bill.

mind when naysmith left was gutted aswell, great young player and a jambo but it was almost ok as he was moving to a high level. I think Cameron left a)because we needed the cash and B) (allegedly) bad personal circumstances at the time. Wolves weren't exactly premiership class at the time and in fact never have been.

Charlie-Brown

Eammon Bannon to chealsea when i was a young kid but none since then, it's just a fact of football, new stars always emerge sooner or later

Robbo and JC leaving upset me as a kid. Now that I'm a grown-up I'm philosophical about players leaving, I was sad to see heroes like McCann and Cameron leaving but I was under no illusions that they would see out their careers at Hearts. I was sad, however, that Pressley left - I was hoping he would remain a Hearts player until he retired and get a coaching role. I wouldn't really be bothered at all about any of our current squad leaving.

Mcann leaving was a hard one, because I knew it was coming the seasons before when he was tearing Rangers a new hole.

It was on the cards, which made it more difficult to take when it happened.

like sitting in the dentists waiting room. You know whats coming is gonna hurt, and still you have to sit and think about it over and over...

....and when he moved to Clyde in 2004 we all felt a little bit of Hearts go with him.

Goodbye Austin...

jamboinglasgow

McCann, was my favourite player (partly because we share the same first name) he was a great player and for my christmas I was going to get my first hearts top with his name on the back. But suddenly came the news that he was off to Rangers and my mum asked me if I wanted a different players name on the back, but I stuck with McCann, it couldn't be anyone else.

:eek:The late great Arthur Mann going to Man City, I remember it to this day, my Grandad had taken me to the game as a wee nipper, it caused great unrest with the natives, I suppose it hardened me in a lot of ways on what has happened in the years to follow, I believe the transfer fee was ?65,000.

Eammon Bannon to chealsea when i was a young kid but none since then, it's just a fact of football, new stars always emerge sooner or later

Beat me to it.

Eddie Thomson to Aberdeen :eek: was another.

:(

boabyarsebiscuit

I was disappointed when Ralph Callachan was sold as we didn't really have a good team at all at that point and he was probably the one bright spark at the time.

And although it was a "needs must" sale I also thought selling Cammy Fraser (to Dundee!) was a sale that was going to hurt us, and it did (we were left pretty much with total crap). He was a very underrated player.

Broxburn Jambo

Wallace, even though he played to get away

Robbo, I was and adult and it almost made me stop watching the club I love.

Davie Weir, we made him from an average 1st div player to one that was stolen by Everton.

Presley, should have stayed and finished what he started at Riccarton:waiting:

Most of my list already covered: Robbo, Pressley, Cameron, Bannon, Eddie Thomson, Willie Wallace.

We recently lost a world-class goalie who has been impossible to replace. Where would we have finished last year if he had stayed?

Going back a bit, Ralph Callachan. (Edit - I see Boaby beat me to it by a minute)

i was gutted by that too.

he shot like a cannon..... na na na na na naaaaaa.

Mccann was a bad one. Loved watching the wee man.

Hated everything that surrounded Pressley leaving Tynecastle. The one time I felt ashamed to be a Hearts fan.

heartgarfunkel

Peter van de Ven to those Belgian *******s 'Racing' Genk in 1993.;)

Seriously, tashes apart, Robbo, JC, Naysmith, McCann, Cameron & Weir - the first two due to their status and my youth, the latter because they were Big Cup Winners and quality.

I cried when John Colquhoun left. I was really hurt when Wee Robbo left. Been nonplussed about anyone leaving since then.

Cameron for the fee, thought he was worth more and was a vital player for us.

Niemi, McCann & Naysmith were others. Was unhappy to hear how Naysmith had been treated by CPR. I heard Naysmith wanted to stay and wan't looking for much in terms of wages but as soon as a bid was in CPR was determined to sell him.

Was disappointed when Juanjo left as I thought him & Maybury linked up well on the right flank when we beat St Johnstone 3-0, think it was Maybury's debut & Juanjo's farewell.

Alan McLaren to Rangers left me gutted and feeling why bother- they are always going to take our best players. We are just like a breeding club for them.:mad:

Got over it eventually- players come and players go-the one constant is there will always be a 'Heart of Midlothian'

Mcann leaving was a hard one, because I knew it was coming the seasons before when he was tearing Rangers a new hole.

It was on the cards, which made it more difficult to take when it happened.

like sitting in the dentists waiting room. You know whats coming is gonna hurt, and still you have to sit and think about it over and over...

....and when he moved to Clyde in 2004 we all felt a little bit of Hearts go with him.

Goodbye Austin...

FFS I nearly fell for that one cos didnt scroll down to the bottom:p

Was about to reply re the Neil version cos although many have gutted me the Neil Mcann one was a sore one cos he was playing well and we were competing with the OF till xmas when he went.

Recall finding out prior to a game and being gutted.

IIRC though Mcann did something that protected both himself and the club by resigining and inserting a clause with a fee (1.6m?) that if anyone paid that he could be released from his contract. A great gesture and he obviously had faith in his ability.

Would never slag him off for that alone

Miller Jambo 60
I was disappointed when Ralph Callachan was sold as we didn't really have a good team at all at that point and he was probably the one bright spark at the time.

And although it was a "needs must" sale I also thought selling Cammy Fraser (to Dundee!) was a sale that was going to hurt us, and it did (we were left pretty much with total crap). He was a very underrated player.

George Burley:107years::107years::107years:

Naysmith. On the bright side though, some excellent posters on here helped me to finally appreciate the prevailing viewpoint re: our need to cut our cloth in the weeks following his exit. Still hurt though. :sad:

I remember Robbo throwing his shirt to the crowd gathered outside the caley hotel after the cup final defeat in 1986 and I was gutted as I knew he would be leaving. Therefore I learnt at a very early age (14) not to get too attached to players.

Apart from that, McCann going to rangers was one that hurt, especially as he played against us so soon!

Drylaw Hearts

I'm gutted when EVERY good player is sold.

But the departure of Steven Pressley really made me feel physically sick.

Alan McLaren.

He was my first favourite player and I loved the fact that he was a die-hard Hearts fan. Was made it the more gut-wretching was that McLaren didn't want to go but we needed the money from the sale to keep the club ticking over. I still don't think I've witnessed an incident since that has made me feel are worthless in comparison to the OF.

jamboinglasgow
Mccann was a bad one. Loved watching the wee man.

Hated everything that surrounded Pressley leaving Tynecastle. The one time I felt ashamed to be a Hearts fan.

for me pressely is gutting as he will probably never come back to hearts until Vlad is gone. I want him to come back as he will be a great coach and manager some day and hearts could of benefited from having him here. Same with McCann.

Colin Cameron though, wanted to leave anyway.

Neimi was a really dull one too; possibly more so than Gordon.

This might surprise folk but I was a wee bit sorry when we let Andy Kirk go. Not an amazing player, but one who I liked. A fit Andy Kirk scored plenty of goals.

Buffalo Bill

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This might surprise folk but I was a wee bit sorry when we let Andy Kirk go. Not an amazing player, but one who I liked. A fit Andy Kirk scored plenty of goals.

Buffalo Bill

Good shout. I thought Ulster Andy was a very capable striker and should have been kept on.

It ****ed me off when we didn't sign Ricardo Fuller after him being the one shining light that season.

Now playing in the Premiership. :sad:

Buffalo Bill

I thought that was a mistake at the time, and still do to be honest. I do think he could've maybe made more of his ability than he has, though.

Willie Wallace to Celtic. Didn't see that one coming . . a real slap between the thighs :mad:

Saw it coming - Celtic tapped him. Walker dropped him just before the transfer happenned because Wallace wanted to go to Celtic and that was before the offer was even on the table. They tapped Chiris Shevlane as well.

But you are right it was a disappointment and he was never really replaced.

Good shout. I thought Ulster Andy was a very capable striker and should have been kept on.

It ****ed me off when we didn't sign Ricardo Fuller after him being the one shining light that season.

Now playing in the Premiership. :sad:

Kirk would've been on a low wage too. It would've been a formality to keep him. He was a bit unlucky with injuries but always looked dangerous when he got a run in the team. 35 goals in 74 starts.

Buffalo Bill

Losing Rudi was a blow but when Pressley and Hartley followed him it was a right kick in the teeth. However we are building a good team again now based around Berra and Bruno hopefully.

Very long list including -

Willie Wallace

Arthur Mann

John Robertson

John Colquhoun

Anti Nieme

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

+ others

But you one the one that really got to me? Velicka.

The fact that VR was willing to flog our top goal scorer in the middle of the season when we were still pushing for Europe, finally made me wake up to the fact that the 'dream' was over!

Hackney Hearts
Callachan and Bannon were the two that made the biggest impression on me.

Yup, me too. Formative years.

in retrospect, at least Bannon was a great player; I think the Callachan trauma just shows how desperate we were for someone half-decent at that time.

I got a bit older and wiser after that, but was still gutted about Robbo and then Cameron.

All my favourites have been strikers or attacking (goal-scoring) midfielders - so although I was upset about the likes of McLaren or Pressley or Gordon, I always feel (probably wrongly) that they're more replaceable.

Saw it coming - Celtic tapped him. Walker dropped him just before the transfer happenned because Wallace wanted to go to Celtic and that was before the offer was even on the table. They tapped Chiris Shevlane as well.

But you are right it was a disappointment and he was never really replaced.

Flogging Wallace was the start of the downfall of Hearts. From league and cup winners from the mid 50's to the early 60's, the team went into the wilderness for 20 years. :sad:

I reckon that was mine too, more recently Antii Niemi,

but as you say there's usually someone else along to take there place, (usually haha)

Archived