JKB Fc V Standard Life

Meadows

Our semi-final was played tonight at peffermill against Standard life.As expected this was always going to be a difficult game against a very experienced team.

In what was to be a typical cup tie with plenty of incidents,we started well,passing the ball and keeping possession,without troubling the opposite keeper. No quarters were asked or given as the tackles flew in,standard life were closing us down very quickly and their packed midfield ensured plenty of niggly fouls were given as tempers frayed on both sides.

From a free kick SL opened the scoring after 20 minutes, our keeper mis-aligning his wall allowing a well taken free kick an easy target.

Sticking with our passing game we continued to probe and were pressing hard,the equaliser was overdue when we eventually scored when richard nisbett scored with a speculative shot/cross that left their keeper looking like he was trying to hail a taxi!!

Unfortunately after our hard work getting back into the game we then gifted another to SL.

Half Time JKB 1 SL 2.

The second half was similiar to the first with the ball taking a battering, SPL standard referee B Latto making his usual unusual calls, "unlucky not to get that free kick" and "it was handball but not a penalty" being two of them.:mad:

He then awarded a penalty,wrongly in my opinion and a couple of the SL lads that our keeper Bruce saved. Bruce went on to make a few excellent saves as they pressured us, the keeper at the other end was also inspired with saves from young John,Gasbottle,Savage and Cairnsy.

A nasty head collision saw Gary D come off absolutely covered in blood,we actually finished the game with 4 up front as we tried to remain in the competition. Another well taken free kick saw SL go 3-1 up, again we pressed and got a late goal to make it 3-2 after great tenacity from young John,who is destined to go a lot further in the game.

Final Score JKB 2 SL 3

Whilst it is disappointing to go out the cup at this stage,the players should all remember some of our great play throughout the league and cup campaign,some great goals scored and that we always tried to play the proper game.

Our season is now over,we can enjoy the rest and recharge our batteries for the training that starts all over again in January.

Well Done lads....Bring on the hi-bees !!!

Aw, nae luck.

All the best for the future.

Cheers Boof....believe it or not,your opening line sums up our defeats in the last 10 months (4) We have lost 2-1, 4-3,2-1 and 3-2. Every loss is by one goal,and with a little luck and better refs we would be unbeaten !!

gutted about the score..i was planning on returning to Edinburgh to fight for a spot in the squad for a final! Rage! Dunno if Meadows will be organising any friendlies as such to keep the squad together over the next month?

Hard luck boys, you`ve obviously given it your best shot in all your games so well done to you all, and hopefully you`ll come back stronger next season.

Our semi-final was played tonight at peffermill against Standard life.As expected this was always going to be a difficult game against a very experienced team.

In what was to be a typical cup tie with plenty of incidents,we started well,passing the ball and keeping possession,without troubling the opposite keeper. No quarters were asked or given as the tackles flew in,standard life were closing us down very quickly and their packed midfield ensured plenty of niggly fouls were given as tempers frayed on both sides.

From a free kick SL opened the scoring after 20 minutes, our keeper mis-aligning his wall allowing a well taken free kick an easy target.

Sticking with our passing game we continued to probe and were pressing hard,the equaliser was overdue when we eventually scored when richard nisbett scored with a speculative shot/cross that left their keeper looking like he was trying to hail a taxi!!

Unfortunately after our hard work getting back into the game we then gifted another to SL.

Half Time JKB 1 SL 2.

The second half was similiar to the first with the ball taking a battering, SPL standard referee B Latto making his usual unusual calls, "unlucky not to get that free kick" and "it was handball but not a penalty" being two of them.:mad:

He then awarded a penalty,wrongly in my opinion and a couple of the SL lads that our keeper Bruce saved. Bruce went on to make a few excellent saves as they pressured us, the keeper at the other end was also inspired with saves from young John,Gasbottle,Savage and Cairnsy.

A nasty head collision saw Gary D come off absolutely covered in blood,we actually finished the game with 4 up front as we tried to remain in the competition. Another well taken free kick saw SL go 3-1 up, again we pressed and got a late goal to make it 3-2 after great tenacity from young John,who is destined to go a lot further in the game.

Final Score JKB 2 SL 3

Whilst it is disappointing to go out the cup at this stage,the players should all remember some of our great play throughout the league and cup campaign,some great goals scored and that we always tried to play the proper game.

Our season is now over,we can enjoy the rest and recharge our batteries for the training that starts all over again in January.

Well Done lads....Bring on the hi-bees !!!

Time for a change at the top it seems. :)

Robbos Right Peg
Cheers Boof....believe it or not,your opening line sums up our defeats in the last 10 months (4) We have lost 2-1, 4-3,2-1 and 3-2. Every loss is by one goal,and with a little luck and better refs we would be unbeaten !!

Is it a Hearts / JKB thing that the refs always get the blame ? :o

Last night all 3 goals came from set pieces which should have been better defended. The ref made a mistake with the penalty right enough but on the other hand he ordered a re-take which was saved (the first attempt having been put away) so justice was done there. Also I thought he could have sent off Bruce for his wee Ricky Hatton impersonation.

It was a tight game through out and the JKB lads played some good football but SL were better on the night. Winning the league and a cup semi final not bad going for a first season. As Meadows says bring on the Hi-Bees

I work at Standard and 2 boys in my team were playing last night.

One scored for SL and one says he scored an og for JKB!!

Yeah our 2nd goal was an OG, great play on the right from John who crossed and the defender turned it into his own net.

It was a good game to watch with both teams playing some good stuff and some good saves by both keepers. I think the ref was just as bad for both teams.

Ill try and answer ALL points raised....

PTB Cal...I still need an assistant if you are offering;)

Robbos right Peg....I was questioning the validity of the free kicks awarded in the first place, also in 3 of our 4 defeats we have had perfectly good 'goals' disallowed.

Flogelisgod...Friendlies/training will start in earnest come january, enjoy the rest and look forward to the team xmas night out:)

Samster, no sour grapes from us, SL have good players all over the park..it was getting 'tasty ' at times,our keeper reacted to a SL player punching our right back as we waited to defend a corner. He did raise his hands and by the letter of the law should have been red carded,as should the guy who punched our right back!!

PS...how many teams do SL have?

basher the jambo

Unlucky last night guys,

I would have loved to play in last nights game it was good to watch with both teams giving it everything. SL had some good players in thier team but couldnt cope when we got the ball down and started passing/running at them with pace.

B Latto that guy should be shot, He is the worst ref i have ever seen. He never keeps up with play, Pulls free kicks back when there are advantages and lets them go when there isnt.

As for Big Bruce he was looking after his wee cousin, The guy hit him when SL had a corner.

Samster, no sour grapes from us, SL have good players all over the park..it was getting 'tasty ' at times,our keeper reacted to a SL player punching our right back as we waited to defend a corner. He did raise his hands and by the letter of the law should have been red carded,as should the guy who punched our right back!!

PS...how many teams do SL have?

I'm not sure how many other teams there are Meadows. The team last night was Standard Life Savings which is a subsidiary of the main company so there may be others elsewhere in the organisation.

gutted to lose on monday but it just was not to be and things did not come off for us. on another note please can we never play at peffermill on that carpet again it is not a good football surface but was the same for both teams. both keepers made some tremendous saves during the game but SL probably just edged it and good luck to them in the final. we will be back next year.

Sounds like you guys have had a decent season. Good work guys.

One question though - I've registered for the trials for the Hearts team that will play in the charity game against the wee team. I'm reading this thread wondering if there is any point? If JKB have a decent established side already, will anybody else get a fair crack at the trials, is the charity team entirely seperate from the JKB team?

I'm itching to start training/playing regularly again after a long lay off through injury and illness and am keen not to waste my time!

Sounds like you guys have had a decent season. Good work guys.

One question though - I've registered for the trials for the Hearts team that will play in the charity game against the wee team. I'm reading this thread wondering if there is any point? If JKB have a decent established side already, will anybody else get a fair crack at the trials, is the charity team entirely seperate from the JKB team?

I'm itching to start training/playing regularly again after a long lay off through injury and illness and am keen not to waste my time!

Hi mate

No need to worry, the charity match is totally seperate from JKB. They will be a lot of players from the JKB team that will turn up for the trials but EVERYONE will start from scratch and everyone will get a fair crack :)

Hi mate

No need to worry, the charity match is totally seperate from JKB. They will be a lot of players from the JKB team that will turn up for the trials but EVERYONE will start from scratch and everyone will get a fair crack :)

Cheers Moncs. :thumbs_up::toasting:

portobellojambo1
By the sounds of things there should be about 6 keepers trying to get into the team :)

Looks as if Meadows will have to go into this game with a fairly defensive approach then, and hope the 5 outfield players can produce something on the counter attack. :P

(in theory it should make it harder for the opposition to score as well)

Moncs you do realise he is a keeper, more competition for you!:P

ah.. eh.. oh, in that case we have enough keepers thanks, no more need apply and the ones that already have I'm afraid I have lost all your details and the deadline has passed :P

By the sounds of things there should be about 6 keepers trying to get into the team :)

Sure I've heard something similar not too far from Tynecastle...:rolleyes:

Archived