Obua (merged threads)

captain

The People's Chimp
Agree, he has come from South African football and was recognised as one of the big prospects in Africa so there must be something there but needs to get get used to a completely different culture, style of football and it's also a bit of a step up too so we shouldn't judge him too soon.

My brother mentioned he should be considered as one for next season and start judging him then, until then the majority of his games should be with the reserves until he is performing to a higher standard as I genuinely believe there is a good player in there

I think that's fair enough, but equally we cannot afford to carry any passengers, and if he wanders around out of position and doesn't even bother trying to track back, then it will cost us. There are some things which can be forgiven and can be excused, in terms of adapting to the game here, but others are basic and unforgivable.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looks skillful and quite gifted but takes too long to decide what to do with the ball when he has it. Similarly when he should react to an opponent playing the ball or making room for a 1:2 pass, he seems to need a bit of time before he reacts.

Libertonian_II
I startedn a thread after he played a few games and said he was hopeless. Seen nothing since to change my opinion. He is utterly gash.

He was better than Jonsson. There's a player in there.

I'm prepared to give him a chance

Also meant to say that it was a ridiculous substitution from Csaba today IMO.

Quite the opposite I would say, it was absolutely the correct substitution.

What was ridiculous was swapping him and Driver as Driver was ripping their left hand side up. Obua should have been put on the right.

What was ridiculous was swapping him and Driver as Driver was ripping their left hand side up. Obua should have been put on the right.

I agree with you there.

I just hope he's not going to get continually selected by Csaba while consistently producing Brussel Sprout.

On a more serious note. I reiterate the point I made after the Hamilton game. I think Obua is clearly a good footballer and I think he will get better. However, I don't think he will make it as a 'good' SPL player due to the fact his attributes don't fit the Scottish game.

Happy with him as a squad player for now.

Seymour M Hersh
Not usually one for slating players after a victory but the lad is no good.

Discuss.

I think you don't know what you are talking about.:hobofish:

i said this before , a first team player said he wants to leave and go back to africa , saying spl does not suit him or weather - don't blame him.

Seymour M Hersh
I have to be honest and say I thought he looked totally lost today.[/b] Continually gave the ball away with poor passes' date=' or lost it because he just took so long to make his mind up what he wanted to do with it.

I suspect the step up from Ugandan football to SPL football may be a step too far at this time, whether or not he will grow into it I do not know.

He is built more like a sprint runner rather than a footballer as well which possibly doesn't help him in the physical side of the game.[/quote']

So did Eggert Jonnson. What's your take on him considering he has come through the youth system as opposed to being thrown into the first team a day or two after arriving. Oh and your 2nd sentence describes exactly what Jonnson did all day (while he was on). Obua did not do that.

It would be interesting to see how he plays at LB or behind Nade.

The early indications aren't great but he is still settling

Don't agree with a lot of your posts, but that's a very sensible point. Don't think we should write him off just yet. As others have pointed out, he almost looks frightened at times. Maybe he needs a bit more time to adapt to the pace of the game or the climate. Or maybe he would be better suited to another position.

i think his touch on the ball is top class - fyssas like.

once he gets into the scottish playing mentality im sure he'll improve.

I have to be honest and say I thought he looked totally lost today. Continually gave the ball away with poor passes, or lost it because he just took so long to make his mind up what he wanted to do with it.

I suspect the step up from Ugandan football to SPL football may be a step too far at this time, whether or not he will grow into it I do not know.

He is built more like a sprint runner rather than a footballer as well which possibly doesn't help him in the physical side of the game.

South African.

Has a lot of ability and when he gets up to speed, will be good for us. He's used to different type of game and will have to tone down his game, and many of his tricks, and make sure there's more 'blood and guts' about his play - shame really ;):cool:
A shame indeed. Imagine toning down your skills just to make it in the SPL. What does that say about the SPL?

What is Kaiser Chiefs record against ManU?

What is Heart's record against ManU?

How would Hearts fair against the last 3 Kaiser chief teams?

Not good! I can assure you.

Do you know Obua was Kaiser Chief's player of the year 2-3yrs ago?

A casual web search would clue you into who Obua is. Complete with videos....

South Africa's PSL top clubs have pace and skill. The SPL has more pace and brawn than skill not to mention bias.

scott herbertson
What is Kaiser Chiefs record against ManU?

What is Heart's record against ManU?

How would Hearts fair against the last 3 Kaiser chief teams?

Not good! I can assure you.

Do you know Obua was Kaiser Chief's player of the year 2-3yrs ago?

A casual web search would clue you into who Obua is. Complete with videos....

South Africa's PSL top clubs have pace and skill. The SPL has more pace and brawn than skill not to mention bias.

You're right UG.

I think the problem is as some others have said it may take him time to settle and to adapt to the physicality o fthe Scottish game (if he can't after a reasonable time then for his own good he should leave)

I would always be willing to be patient if a player has a high skill level and is coming form another culture and style, but football fans are notoriously impatient as a group....

You're right UG.

I think the problem is as some others have said it may take him time to settle and to adapt to the physicality o fthe Scottish game (if he can't after a reasonable time then for his own good he should leave)

I would always be willing to be patient if a player has a high skill level and is coming form another culture and style, but football fans are notoriously impatient as a group....

Saved me a post there - couldn't agree more. Lets all give this guy the time he needs to adjust to the pace/physicality of the SPL.

It matters not one bit how good Kaiser Chiefs are or were. It matters not a jot how well he played for them. He plays in Scotland now and so far he has shown nothing to me to make me think he'll do anything constructive in our team. I do concede that its early days and I remain optimistic if somewhat sceptical.

Discuss.

I posted a thread on this last Saturday and got slated.

I say it now and i said it then.........the guy looks like he was working in Tesco last week and has been selected as a favour

GARBAGE!

p.s what actual position is he?He could not decide

I posted a thread on this last Saturday and got slated.

I say it now and i said it then.........the guy looks like he was working in Tesco last week and has been selected as a favour

GARBAGE!

p.s what actual position is he?He could not decide

A couple of weeks before you told us all our players were garbage so he should fit right in.

Hmmn Not very good today at all was he? Positionally he seems lost. Loath to put in a tackle, seems to prefer to wait for the pass and then try to intercept...Going forward he made some decent runs but his decision-making is too slow.

Not ready to give up on him by any means but he needs to wake up and adapt his game for the SPL.

Also meant to say that it was a ridiculous substitution from Csaba today IMO.

Driver was destroying their number 22 every time he got the ball and shunting him over to the right meant he was far less effective. All to accomodate Obua who contributed almost zero.

Its obvious that he's a favourite of Csaba's but I really hope he's not shoe-horned into the team at the expense of others just because Csaba likes him.

Agree with every word of the two posts quoted above. Jonsson wasn't having his best game, but I don't think we were in trouble down our right side. And we had just scored a great goal after putting Falkirk under a period of sustained pressure. Obua being completely out of position at the end very nearly cost us two points. A bizarre and risky substitution.

Francis Albert

How many games has he played? Or how many minutes? Happy to give him (and Csaba's judgement) a chance.

Didn't it take at least a year before Velicka was transformed from another Lithuanian huddie to indispensible?

A couple of weeks before you told us all our players were garbage so he should fit right in.

And Csaba was a loser.

It's all about adapting to Scottish football. It takes time:rolleyes:

Sorry bud I simply don't buy that

He is paid big boys salaries and is in a big boys game

He MUST ship up or ship out

Chad Sexington
And Csaba was a loser.

He's too hysterical to pay any attention to.

He'll be back on suicide watch next week if we get beat by the huns. :rolleyes:

Give the guy a break for Gawd's sake. I've not been able to go to many games so far this season but what I saw of him in the home game agaist St Mirren I was impressed. He is an athlete with pace and excellent ball skills. But for his period out with injury I am certain he would have been further along the road to adapting to the team and the Scottish game.

Meanwhile, I'll give Csaba a large slice of the benefit of the doubt over his judgment of the player. He saw enough in the lad to merit bringing him to Tynecastle and that's enough for me.

Sorry bud I simply don't buy that

He is paid big boys salaries and is in a big boys game

He MUST ship up or ship out

Fortunately Shabba's sensible enough to know better - he'll continue to give Obua the odd 20 minutes to an hour until he is able to adapt. He was only given a work permit because he is such a decent footballer. Most players who come from overseas need a season to adapt - this isn't just the case with the SPL but happens in the EPL and every other league accross Europe, no matter how good the player is. Even Drogba was peesh in his first season - Shevchenko never managed to adapt to pace of the English game either, either did Veron. Fact remains that they were all top players and they should be given time. If he's not upped his game by next January (2010) then fair enough but lets not hound him out the Scottish game before he's had a decent crack at the whip!

I already formed an opinion on this guy

He is rank rotten contributes nowt he wont last in the spl.

Lot of people were raving about his overhead kick last week. For me he took it of nade's head.

I think there is a player in there somewhere. Granted he hasn't been great but has only played a handful of games. I think/hope he will improve as he settles. Only my opinion though.

I agree, I just dont like the way he comes inside looking for the ball leaving a massive hole for the oppo to exploit. I worry that Shabba will try and find him a place at all costs, For example yesterday when Driver was having a ball wide left-- right after he scored- on comes Oboua and Driver is shunted wide right-- that didnt look like the thing to do and it appeared to stop Driver in his tracks.

Evidence that you guys dont know much about football, I mentioned it recently that obua makes the team complete and still looking at statistics! Hearts lost most if not all the games obua has not played this season, we have won all the games he has played expect the ardrie game!

Pish or no Pish, Obua already has results from the SPL, 6 appearances and 6 wins!

Too much on the ball??? The rest of the team need to learn how obua plays, he is a match maker, holds on to the ball, makes killer passes, we have already seen afew of these, like the one he made to Nade in the Hamilton game!

Obua is a good player and because of him and his coach, Hearts can celebrate a 4 win streak for the first time in over 4 years!!

Drylaw Hearts
Evidence that you guys dont know much about football, I mentioned it recently that obua makes the team complete and still looking at statistics! Hearts lost most if not all the games obua has not played this season, we have won all the games he has played expect the ardrie game!

Pish or no Pish, Obua already has results from the SPL, 6 appearances and 6 wins!

Too much on the ball??? The rest of the team need to learn how obua plays, he is a match maker, holds on to the ball, makes killer passes, we have already seen afew of these, like the one he made to Nade in the Hamilton game!

Obua is a good player and because of him and his coach, Hearts can celebrate a 4 win streak for the first time in over 4 years!!

:)

100% nonsense.

Obua stinks.

I happen to think Obua is potentially a good player but he's going to have to completely change his style to fit in, in the SPL.

He's got plenty of vision, a good passer but he doesn't for me, show any appetite for the scraps required in our league. It's not his fault as he's probably never had to deal with inferior football, but that's the SPL and he won't get any time from the boo boys and hoofball admirers.

To say we've won 6 games because he played in those games is quite frankly ludicrous however. It's almost like self defence if you get what I mean David.

Big Dave would probably have done well in Advocat's Rangers team - where the guys played a brand of 'European football' with just a bit pace injected ?

Anyway, I though he played some nice stuff yesterday. He has that 'carpet slippers' touch on the ball and the weight of his pass is lovely. However, he did drop us in it several times with passes to the invisible man :eek:

He will need to get used to the pace of the SPL pretty quick though and also get stuck in when it's required.

My verdict - I would like to see us playing the kind of football where he DOES fit in.

Positionally na?ve sums him up I guess.

At this stage of his development the only position that really suits is a free role behind striker imo.

Sub should have been delayed for at least 10mins after goal

I'm glad we got the goal before he came on.

Still waiting for any kind of sign that he will make it in the SPL.

I'm glad we got the goal before he came on.

Still waiting for any kind of sign that he will make it in the SPL.

Agree, he hasn't shown anything so far to suggest that he can be a good SPL player. Should now play in the reserves for a while to toughen up.

I thought it was a bizarre sub on Saturday. Jonsson hadn't been playing well but our right side was solid. Driver who had just scored a brilliant goal and was enjoying his game against an inexperienced right back barely touched the ball afterward.

We_are_the_Hearts
:)

100% nonsense.

Obua stinks.

Obua stinks and Ksnavicius is a scrote?

Pathetic. What is your problem? You are either a Hobo or a miserable ****.

Forever Maroon

Discuss.

No discussion required !

Drylaw Hearts
Obua stinks and Ksnavicius is a scrote?

Pathetic. What is your problem? You are either a Hobo or a miserable ****.

I don't have a problem.

However..............

I don't like footballers who aren't good enough to play for Hearts.

Do you ?

Agree, he hasn't shown anything so far to suggest that he can be a good SPL player. Should now play in the reserves for a while to toughen up.

I thought it was a bizarre sub on Saturday. Jonsson hadn't been playing well but our right side was solid. Driver who had just scored a brilliant goal and was enjoying his game against an inexperienced right back barely touched the ball afterward.

Also allowed that inexperienced right back the freedom of the right flank from which to set up what should have been the equaliser. I agree - it was a poor decision by whoever made it.

We_are_the_Hearts
I don't have a problem.

However..............

I don't like footballers who aren't good enough to play for Hearts.

Do you ?

No but I wouldn't abuse my own. You were probably one of the fans who abused Nade and Aguair at the start of the season.

Drylaw Hearts
No but I wouldn't abuse my own. You were probably one of the fans who abused Nade and Aguair at the start of the season.

Firstly....

Have you never made a comment regarding a Hearts players lack of ability ?

Secondly...

Nade deserved every bit of stick thrown his way.

For a proffessional footballer to get into the condition he was in was simply a disgrace.

As for Aguiar.......

I didn't hear/read any abusive comments directed at him.

Did you ?

We_are_the_Hearts
Firstly....

Have you never made a comment regarding a Hearts players lack of ability ?

Secondly...

Nade deserved every bit of stick thrown his way.

For a proffessional footballer to get into the condition he was in was simply a disgrace.

As for Aguiar.......

I didn't hear/read any abusive comments directed at him.

Did you ?

Made a lot of comments about players ability. Its not as black and white as you make it though. Wouldn't call a Hearts player a scrote either.

Plenty supporters doubted Aguairs ability at the start of the season, shows you what they know!

Drylaw Hearts
Made a lot of comments about players ability. Its not as black and white as you make it though.

What sort of comments have you made and against which player ?

Wouldn't call a Hearts player a scrote either.

Good for you.

I did. And I feel it describes No.29 perfectly.

Plenty supporters doubted Aguairs ability at the start of the season, shows you what they know!

Tbf to those who doubted Aguiars ability....

He didn't exactlt set the heather on fire before his injury plus when a player is out for so long you have to question wether or not he will ever fully recover.

But I think Aguiar has surpassed most people's expectations if him since he's returned.

Archived