Top players who never played at the top level

Rawrrrrrrr

I hope Craig Gordon leaves sunderland next season, he is wasting away there.

He is the best keeper in the EPL for me and he should be snapped up next season.

According to papers Sunderland are looking at Mikael Landreau. Now Keane rates Gordon very highly and I can't see Landraeu coming as backup. Perhaps they know something we don't.

There was a sustained period during 1994/5 when he was literally unplayable, and scoring ridiculous goals practically every week. The only man who could make Francis Benali look like a competent teammate. But the question is whether he'd have been even half as good alongside world class teammates; or whether he even wanted to be.

A real one-off, Le Tiss; and Southampton's decline since he retired has been pretty revealing. Weirdly, Alan Ball was the manager to get the best out of him too. But I also had the misfortune of watching him at Wembley against Italy in '97; granted, he was thrown in at the deep end, but good God was he awful! The jury will always be out on him to some extent, I think.

this_is_my_story
For me Im going for Laudrup and Le Tissier, Niemi also and I would say by the time Litmanen got his he was past the form that earned him the move

Donovan is one who could end up the same way

Two players who were capable of playing at a far higher level than they achieved

'Never played at the top level'?

He was at arguably the world's biggest club for a couple of seasons or so, if that's not playing at the top level I don't know what is!

this_is_my_story
Erm....Pele?

A good shout... wasn't it the case that the Brazilian government stepped in when some of the big European clubs were sniffing about Pel?, as he was rightly regarded as a national treasure that should be kept in Brazil?

Henrik Larsson -Could have played for top European clubs instead of wasting his career at Feyenoord and Celtic for so long.

Would have agreed if it wasn't for him turning round a CL final for Barca in 2006. Think that disqualifies him for 'top level'.

It did come arguably after his playing peak though.

this_is_my_story
Davie Cooper, maybe?

Good shout Shaun.

Easily the best Scottish player I ever had the pleasure of watching in the flesh.

There was a sustained period during 1994/5 when he was literally unplayable, and scoring ridiculous goals practically every week. The only man who could make Francis Benali look like a competent teammate. But the question is whether he'd have been even half as good alongside world class teammates; or whether he even wanted to be.

A real one-off, Le Tiss; and Southampton's decline since he retired has been pretty revealing. Weirdly, Alan Ball was the manager to get the best out of him too. But I also had the misfortune of watching him at Wembley against Italy in '97; granted, he was thrown in at the deep end, but good God was he awful! The jury will always be out on him to some extent, I think.

You may be right Shaun..but some of the goals he scored would grace any league in the world and altho' considered by many to be a luxury player , he scored a phenomenal amount of goals for a midfielder !!.

Over 30 in one season iirc at a time when Southampton were near the bottom !

You may be right Shaun..but some of the goals he scored would grace any league in the world and altho' considered by many to be a luxury player , he scored a phenomenal amount of goals for a midfielder !!.

Over 30 in one season iirc at a time when Southampton were near the bottom !

Oh, absolutely. Ridiculously good at his best.

A good shout... wasn't it the case that the Brazilian government stepped in when some of the big European clubs were sniffing about Pel?, as he was rightly regarded as a national treasure that should be kept in Brazil?

Exactly right. Brazilian government refused to allow him to leave for a European club which kept him at Santos. They then went on untold number of tours in order to make a tonne of money from him.

Hakan Sukur - got a move to inter but barely played, other than that moved around top flight clubs of a decent but not top quality

Capable of so much more

His goalscoring record is brillant throughout his 20 season career

Davie Cooper, maybe?

The most overrated player in Scottish football history. brilliant on his day, which was about once every three months.

Charlie Nicholas on the other hand, should have been a superstar.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Off on a bit of a tangent, but Ryan Giggs never playing in a international competition is a real shame. Good on him that he played so many caps for wales (am I right in thinking he could of qualified to play for England.)

Giggs only has around 60 Caps, which is poor for how long he has been around. Obvioulsy has had his fair share of injuries as well though.

In comparison, Rooney who broke through at roughly the same age, already has around 50 Caps and he is only 23.

Good shout Shaun.

Easily the best Scottish player I ever had the pleasure of watching in the flesh.

Funnily enough Walter Kidd usually "marked" Coops out of the game, and I do mean "MARKED". First five minutes..........WOOOOOOOOOOOF and you never saw Davie Cooper again

Archived