Top players who never played at the top level

Rawrrrrrrr

For me Im going for Laudrup and Le Tissier, Niemi also and I would say by the time Litmanan got his he was past the form that earned him the move

Donovan is one who could end up the same way

Two players who were capable of playing at a far higher level than they achieved

Laudrup played for AC Milan, Ajax, Fiorentina, Chelsea and Bayern Munich and won a European Championship.

Whoops

Never actually knew that, thought he was one who was wasted at rangers for most of his career:eek:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Whoops

Never actually knew that, thought he was one who was wasted at rangers for most of his career:eek:

Oh dear.

Even his spell at Rangers was incredible. One of the best players to ever play in Scotland. Add that to Peanut's list and Brian Laudrup was a top, top player.

Niemi's an excellent call. Litmanen was part of the great Ajax 1995 CL winning team, Prancer!

Litmanen played in two Champions League Finals with Ajax, winning one well before his 'big' move to Liverpool.

Matt Le Tissier was ridiculously inconsistent, the English Chic Charnley.

As said above, Laudrup had played for far bigger clubs before he joined Rangers.

Landon Donovan is pish.

No doubt about him being one of the best players ever to play in scotland - probably the best, but then I dont think any world class player should count the OF or scotland as an achievement.

For me Laudrup was one of those players who should have spent his whole career at a Man Utd

Tbh I hadnt realise he did play for those clubs, but Im still amazed he slummed it in scotland for so long

And I more mean top players who never got to play at a high level consistently, rather than reaching a few finals etc, as great as the Ajax team of that generation was, they werent the top level ala Inter, Barca, Juve, Real madrid or Man utd

jamboinglasgow

Off on a bit of a tangent, but Ryan Giggs never playing in a international competition is a real shame. Good on him that he played so many caps for wales (am I right in thinking he could of qualified to play for England.)

Henrik Larsson -Could have played for top European clubs instead of wasting his career at Feyenoord and Celtic for so long.

Giggs was born in Wales, and both his parents are Welsh. Moved to England in his school years hence he played for England schoolboys.

No doubt about him being one of the best players ever to play in scotland - probably the best, but then I dont think any world class player should count the OF or scotland as an achievement.

For me Laudrup was one of those players who should have spent his whole career at a Man Utd

Tbh I hadnt realise he did play for those clubs, but Im still amazed he slummed it in scotland for so long

Prancer, Laudrup I believe lacked the mental strength required to be a top player in a big team within a big league. His time in Italy wasn't great, Fiorentina were relegated then he only played for Milan a handful of times in the following season prior to his move to Glasgow. Then he was the big fish in the small pond which suited him. After Rangers he went to Chelsea but had a terrible time so he went back to Denmark for a while before going to Ajax but couldn't recreate his Rangers form.

For me Im going for Laudrup and Le Tissier, Niemi also and I would say by the time Litmanan got his he was past the form that earned him the move

Donovan is one who could end up the same way

Two players who were capable of playing at a far higher level than they achieved

the more and more posts you make, the clearer it gets that you dont really have a scooby about hearts/football

I agree Henrik Larsson wasted his best years, and showed he coud do it at a higher level with the end of his career at Barca, with a wee loan spell at Man u. Remember how good he was v Arsenal in the European cup final.

It says a lot for the guy that he stayed so long at Celtic, he was no doubt getting the wages, but was wasted at that level of football.

i hope so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7K6qg3p6w&feature=related (1:30 in)

http://www.bookrags.com/highbeam/englands-error-huckerby-the-best-19990209-hb/

"FRANK LEBOEUF is adamant that the best striker in England is missing from the team to take on France at Wembley tomorrow night. The Chelsea defender is thankful he will not be pitted against Coventry's Darren Huckerby, who has never been in the full national squad. Andy Cole, Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen are among those battling for places as Howard Wilkinson picks the strikers to spearhead his first England team. But Leboeuf is amazed that 22-year- old Huckerby will not be in an England shirt tomorrow night when world champions France look for their first win at Wembley."

:cool_shades:

Criminally underrated - and should have played many times for England IMO.

oh sorry, your right because frank lebouf says so :rolleyes:

He's a World Cup winning defender. Are you?

Thinking about that Lebouef must certainly go in the other thread about crap players at good teams.

Just thinking that myself.Laudrup was so bad for Fiorentina that he had to get smuggled out in the boot of a car on more than 1 occassion.

Lee Trundle

Lee 'Soccer AM' Trundle is dog****. That programme made him look like Pele when in fact he's turd and can't hack it at a moderately higher level. He can't get a game in the 2nd tier for an average CCC club. Fat, lazy and unbelievably over-rated. But hey he can contol the ball on his chest and do some nice flicks every now and then. Watch him live and you'll see how ineffective he is. Swansea have been FAR better off without him.

Prancer, Laudrup I believe lacked the mental strength required to be a top player in a big team within a big league. His time in Italy wasn't great, Fiorentina were relegated then he only played for Milan a handful of times in the following season prior to his move to Glasgow. Then he was the big fish in the small pond which suited him. After Rangers he went to Chelsea but had a terrible time so he went back to Denmark for a while before going to Ajax but couldn't recreate his Rangers form.

He was up against Zola for a place in the team and never had a chance.

Gazza any one?

Di Canio - He did play at the top level but never played for Italy. He played for Lazio, Juventus, Napoli, AC Milan, Celtic. Someone told me this but unsure if its true.

Frankenstein Jambo.
craig levein for me

Heard liverpool where after him before he got injured, what a player he would have been for them

Oh dear.

Even his spell at Rangers was incredible. One of the best players to ever play in Scotland. Add that to Peanut's list and Brian Laudrup was a top, top player.

And a diver at times, but this was allowed.

Frankenstein Jambo.
Di Canio - He did play at the top level but never played for Italy. He played for Lazio, Juventus, Napoli, AC Milan, Celtic. Someone told me this but unsure if its true.

Well over-rated.

berrathanhibs
Heard liverpool where after him before he got injured, what a player he would have been for them

i thought it was man u that wanted him

Was about to sign for Spurs apparently.

Was about to sign for Spurs apparently.

Yeah, I used to have a book that reviewed the 80's season by season and it was Spurs mentioned as his most likely destination

Craig Herbertson

I'd agree with Bobby Prentice as a sub for Scotland. Cruikshank should have been a regular and poor Peter Oliver looked to have a stunning career.

Andy Goram for me.

At his peak in the early to mid 1990s he was easily good enough for any of the top teams in Europe.

John Robertson, unlucky to be injured at newcastle.

I've always held the opinion that if Robbo had spent his career at Rangers he'd have bettered all the records McCoist set and probably would have beaten the (very modest) Scottish International scoring record.

Not sure that qualifies as playing at a much higher level though

Frankenstein Jambo.
I've always held the opinion that if Robbo had spent his career at Rangers he'd have bettered all the records McCoist set and probably would have beaten the (very modest) Scottish International scoring record.

Not sure that qualifies as playing at a much higher level though

If had started his career at rangers he would most definatly had bettererd the scoring record that McCoist set. Robbo was double the player that McCoist was and he unlucky to get a bad injury.

Scotland, well, bias towards a rangers player didn't help robbo.

Toxteth O'Grady
Darren Huckerby. You think I'm joking?

I think it was Gordon Strapon that said " One week Darren plays like a world beater but the next week he is like a carpet beater"

Good shout on Davie Cooper though.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I hope Craig Gordon leaves sunderland next season, he is wasting away there.

He is the best keeper in the EPL for me and he should be snapped up next season.

I think it was Gordon Strapon that said " One week Darren plays like a world beater but the next week he is like a carpet beater"

Good shout on Davie Cooper though.

It was - I don't think it's fair, though. I watched this in action throughout Norwich's sole year in the Prem in 04/5. We'd play Huckerby centrally, not his best position - and opponents would double up on him. In theory, this would allow other players to take advantage of the space created; but ours weren't good enough to do so, and were out of their depth.

So Hucks got pigeonholed as too good for the Championship (when he was up for sale midway through 03/4, and ourselves, West Brom and Wigan all wanted him, you might as well have renamed it the Darren Huckerby League: whoever bought him was going to win the title); not good enough for the Prem. And labels can be awfully difficult to shake off, even if they're applied unfairly in the first place. Based on the quality of players chosen by England when he was in his prime, and especially our enduring left-sided troubles, I think he could've been a real hit for his country: ditto Darren Eadie, if it wasn't for his myriad injury troubles. :sad:

Archived