Laszlo Versus Levein

Sydney from Sydney

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jambomickey
I never claimed otherwise mickey all iam saying is on balance i think Hearts have done more for him overall than he has for us - that's a fair opinion i think all things considered? :)

craig levein owes hearts nothing imo mate.

craig levein owes hearts nothing imo mate.

Really?

The fact is Hearts supported Levein for many years when he was unable to play through injury. They could easily have dinghied him and taken the insurance money, but didn't.

Really?

The fact is Hearts supported Levein for many years when he was unable to play through injury. They could easily have dinghied him and taken the insurance money, but didn't.

Probably because he was so talented. It's typically hypocritical logic again, though: when a club disposes of a player or manager, its fans usually move on with little regard for the individual concerned. Indeed, that was precisely your response when Chelsea got rid of the man who'd just taken them to within a penalty kick of the European Cup, and without whose work, there'd have been no trip to Moscow for you. How dignified.

Guest jambomickey
Really?

he couldn't help being injured! i'm 39 years of age and in my years supporting hearts levein is one of the best centre halfs i've had the pleasure of watching

in my years supporting hearts levein is one of the best centre halfs i've had the pleasure of watching

Can't argue with that. He would have been regarded as world class had he not been hampered by injury. As it was, even with the limited number of games, there's no doubt he was the best British defender of his generation.

This argument is academic.

Levein walked out of us on the eve of a major European game to join....wait for it......Leicester. :mad:

He still defends Hearts so I can't hate him in the same way I do Presslhey, but what right-minded Hearts fan would be interested in him or care about him? After all, he didn't treat us with respect when he high-tailed it to Leicester.

I thought he was trying to get as far away from Hearts to ensure he was as far away from his wife and her family with his new fluff.

Leicester are a bigger club than us I would suggest. They just have a rubbish team.

Guest jambomickey
I thought he was trying to get as far away from Hearts to ensure he was as far away from his wife and her family with his new fluff.

Leicester are a bigger club than us I would suggest. They just have a rubbish team.

leicester bigger than hearts? no chance

leicester bigger than hearts? no chance

I think they probably are, Mickey. Not by much - we're both in the top 30 in Britain - but they are, I'd say.

rudi must stay
I think they probably are, Mickey. Not by much - we're both in the top 30 in Britain - but they are, I'd say.

it's irrelevant how big they are they're in League One now so no good young manager would want to go there now anyway

it's irrelevant how big they are they're in League One now so no good young manager would want to go there now anyway

I agree up to a point - they have potential though. Nothing like, say, Leeds do - but they are something of a sleeping giant and look to have finally bottomed out. I've no love for them at all as a Norwich fan - a group of their fans kicked up some serious trouble for us after our game there last season - but they are capable of a lot more.

he couldn't help being injured! i'm 39 years of age and in my years supporting hearts levein is one of the best centre halfs i've had the pleasure of watching

Best centre halfs!

Levein is one of the most talented players ever to pull on our famous maroon jersey.

He owes us nothing and is still a Hearts man at heart.

Would have him back here in a heartbeat.

Best centre halfs!

Levein is one of the most talented players ever to pull on our famous maroon jersey.

He owes us nothing and is still a Hearts man at heart.

Would have him back here in a heartbeat.

It's either him or Niemi for the title of best Hearts player I've ever seen.

Charlie-Brown

Levein has two marks against him as far as I'm concerned that make him owe Hearts - the first was the Starks Park incident where as club captain he disgraced both the club as well as himself - he could and probably should have been emptied for that given Hogg was the innocent party and victim of Levein's vicious assault, the second was the manner and timing of his departure - not him leaving but he could have stayed another 24-48 hours to help the team get through a vital european match, he deserted the team (his team) that night and also returning to take 4 players away mid-season was a bit naughty and did nothing to help our european aspirations that season.

jambos are go!
Same question to you. Have you ever been offered a better paid job? What did you do?

I've never moved on at short(sorry no) notice or put vital objectives at risk or taken the bulk of the top staff with me within months. Or colluded with their agents and revealed contract details. HMFC got next to nothing from Leicester IIRC for MDV, Maybury and Kisnosbro.

I've never moved on at short(sorry no) notice or put vital objectives at risk or taken the bulk of the top staff with me within months. Or colluded with their agents and revealed contract details. HMFC got next to nothing from Leicester IIRC for MDV, Maybury and Kisnosbro.

All football managers leave immediately: there's no notice period in the game. And many also look to bring players with them. It makes sense, especially as they bed down at a new club. That's just how it is in football - and the way many (not you, but others) hold those in the game to a higher moral code than they do themselves does my head in.

J.T.F.Robertson
levein wouldn't have stood for interference from that paranoid lying control freak who knows feck all about football

No, he wouldn't, but that's still not the reason he dumped us at the time.

Charlie-Brown

What Levein did suffer and was criticised for in his early months was being the cheap option, untried/unproven at SPL level, being in the piemans pocket, brought in to do the piemans dirty work, easily manipulated by Robinson etc about which players & higher earners had to go etc.

J.T.F.Robertson
What Levein did suffer and was criticised for in his early months was being the cheap option, untried/unproven at SPL level, being in the piemans pocket, brought in to do the piemans dirty work, easily manipulated by Robinson etc about which players & higher earners had to go etc.

You're becoming too obvious now, Charlie.

Suggest a bit more subtlety. ;)

Charlie-Brown
You're becoming too obvious now, Charlie.

Suggest a bit more subtlety. ;)

Obvious or not JTFR - Romanov deserves some criticism undoubtedly however Hearts at present are demonised by many who have turned a blind eye or forgotten many things that happened before at the club and some things in the not too distant past, Levein had more than his fair share of critics until he got third place and repeated it but in his first 18-20 months he faced many of the very same criticisms that Laszlo faces now.

You can't help but be impressed with the job Levein has done at Dundee Utd. Less talented players and a much lower wage bill than us. A crappy stadium in a provincial area of Scotland with much lower attendance figures than Tynie. The man gets the best out of his players though, no doubt about it. He spends the club's money like it was his own, and as we all know, he doesn't suffer fools.

Our own bloke appears unwilling to get stuck into his own players when they turn in a performance like the one against Celtic, thinks we're Euro contenders because we win by the odd goal against St Mirren and Hamilton, and wants to be liked so much by his players that he "felt priviliged" when asked to join them for lunch.

Levein got on with his chairman despite running the club "his way", whereas Laszlo says Romanov has every right to interfere and become involved in team selection. One coach gets on with the job and the other just wants to be liked by everyone.

Although it's unlikely he'd come anywhere near us as long as Romanov was still around, I'd take him back in a second.

Spot on buddy :smile:

Its a no contest for me.Thought craig done a great job at hearts and there were people who were critical of him,happy to say i was not one,he knows a player when he sees one.his scouting is tremendous,say no more!;)

Anyone who has heard Levein talking about Hearts in the last couple of years will realise that he is still very much a Hearts man. Listening to him before the last derby game his knowledge of the current Hearts squad was very impressive - in fact he seemed to know exactly what the main problems are with our squad.

Before the Celtic game the other week, he was going on about what a terrific stadium Tynecastle is and you could tell he misses the place.

He's doing a good job at Dundee United - but let's face it, we are a considerably bigger club - and the club that he supports. I can't help thinking that he hopes to return to Tynecastle at some point.

john brownlee
CL is proof of what happens when you give a reasonably talented manager time to build a squad ,i would judge Csaba when he is into his 2nd full season(if he gets that time) ,At the moment his team is only 2pts ahead of us .

He has built a team around a good goalie plus an experianced large central defence ,plus what looks like a good poacher up front .they dont give out meaningful prizes in november.

then he leaves because of some skirt

thats good footballing.

get a life all you I love leaven posters, he shafted Hearts, Mr Romanov did want him at Hearts leavin choose to up sticks for a new life and it backfired and he is now back in scotland with a small club, ok hes doing well at the moment, it wont last

BTW hes not a talented manager hes a good defender that has become a manager and it showed at Hearts

If these guys that were booing on wed' because of the way Hearts played they sure have short memories and have already blanked the footie we got when leavin was in charge or so it seems. Remember the instructions he got from the pieman oh I forgot before Mr Romanov managers did what they wanted and egnored the owners. I right.

Glamorgan Jambo
then he leaves because of some skirt

thats good footballing.

get a life all you I love leaven posters, he shafted Hearts, Mr Romanov did want him at Hearts leavin choose to up sticks for a new life and it backfired and he is now back in scotland with a small club, ok hes doing well at the moment, it wont last

BTW hes not a talented manager hes a good defender that has become a manager and it showed at Hearts

If these guys that were booing on wed' because of the way Hearts played they sure have short memories and have already blanked the footie we got when leavin was in charge or so it seems. Remember the instructions he got from the pieman oh I forgot before Mr Romanov managers did what they wanted and egnored the owners. I right.

I don't know where to start on the spelling and grammar mistakes in your post Mr Brownlee/Brownlie.

Firstly Laszlo needs a chance at the job. After a few months there are the negatives and some positives... the negatives were to be expected because of the level of risk Vlad took with appointing someone with no knowledge of British football but he got off to an okay start and we're certainly no worse than we were with Frail in charge. Whether we've improved we'll see in time because he has to be given this and next season at least.

I can't really understand the ire at Levein. He's certainly a superior SPL manager to Laszlo at this stage. It's up to Shaba to grow into the role and the league and he'll hopefully catch up and maybe even surpass Levein's level.

J.T.F.Robertson
Obvious or not JTFR - Romanov deserves some criticism undoubtedly however Hearts at present are demonised by many who have turned a blind eye or forgotten many things that happened before at the club and some things in the not too distant past, Levein had more than his fair share of critics until he got third place and repeated it but in his first 18-20 months he faced many of the very same criticisms that Laszlo faces now.

I don't disagree on most of your points. (other than perhaps, the deserving of "some" criticism, bit)

There is a fair amount of selective memorizing, going on.

Libertonian_II

I don't think that you can realistically compare one with the other. The environment at Tynecastle is so different. Levein left because there were personal issues in the background, as well as the opportunity to manage in England which, lets face it, is more attractive

That said, I would welcome Levein back if there were a vacancy. However, Lazslo hasn't had time to show us what he can do. Ok the signs aren't good, Neilson in midfield, Karipedis in midfield, Jonsson at right back, Obua, Tullberg & Balogh(none setting the heather on fire, so far). There are mitigating circumstances, injuries etc etc, and a squad of players which is one of the worst at Tynecastle for many a year. A bit patience is required. Lazslo also does not have the sympathy vote that comes with being a former player who was both exceptional and, dare I say it, local boy made good!

The Old Tolbooth
A couple of months ago, Levein had went 18 games without a win.

Last night reminded me what it was like watching Levein's Hearts side every week, 1-0 win with ten men behind the ball, but just because his teams hit a wee run of form over the last few games, he's the next Alex Ferguson :rolleyes:

Blondie.jpg

Shabba v Levein?

One is in 3rd spot. The other trails in 4th.

Buffalo Bill

Guest jambomickey
Shabba v Levein?

One is in 3rd spot. The other trails in 4th.

Buffalo Bill

csaba has a long way to go to get anywhere near to levein

neverlikedElvis

levein was a ******. the football under him was awful. he tried to promote the idea of moving to murrayfield then walked out of the club.

his record at yinited is ***** and he would have been sacked during the 18 winless game run had it not been for his friendship with thomson.

short memories, as always

levein was a ******. the football under him was awful. he tried to promote the idea of moving to murrayfield then walked out of the club.

his record at yinited is ***** and he would have been sacked during the 18 winless game run had it not been for his friendship with thomson.

short memories, as always

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Levein inherited a United side that was bottom of the league, with one win all season. The club's record over the preceding nine seasons was abysmal: 7th, 9th, 8th, 11th, 8th, 11th, 5th, 9th, 9th. When he joined them, most observers on here said they couldn't understand it: that the DU job was a poisoned chalice which no-one could get right.

He promptly hauled the team up by its straps, comfortably kept them up, and improved them dramatically last season: losing a Cup Final on penalties as well as equalling their highest finish in 11 years. And they look to have kicked on again this year, and are most people's favourites for 3rd place.

Meanwhile, his record against us since he took over reads:

P6 W4 D0 L2 F14 A4

Short memories? What on earth are you wittering on about?

I really liked Levein at Hearts and I still think he's a great manager.

It's completely unfair to judge Csaba against Levein after less than 6 months and ridiculous to suggest Csaba is better also.

Two things which I prefer of Levein is tactical choice and substitutions.

When it came to both, I always felt I could agree with and see the reasons for Levein doing certain things.

So far Csaba has done a few things I find quite difficult to see his reasoning behind and with substitutions he has shown a bit of naivety.

That being said, I think Csaba is doing a decent job with a half decent (but not great squad).

Levein had a fantastic base to build upon, Csaba's has not been as lucky.

Frankenstein Jambo.
You can only really compare the merits of both men against eachother if they were given the same sized clubs, at the same time and for the same time; and with the same budget.

As much as I'm not fully taken with Chabba, I can hardly blame him for not being the Dundee Utd manager since December 06! And who's to say Levein would have done any better with the mess Chabba's inherited?

Didn't Levein take a season and a half to turn Hearts into a team we could enjoy supporting?

In that time, we lost four games to Livingston and signed Kieran McAnespie!!!

I can sense your frustration and I'm with you there. There are things I see that I don't like about Csaba.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to think here, but personally, I'll start to worry if we're watching this gash a year down the line.

Buffalo Bill

Bill, I usually enjoy what you post because you are usually very positive. even though the football's not very pretty, we are still winning games and we are currnetly third in the table. How can you call that gash matey?

Frankenstein Jambo.

Fact is Levine had a great spine of a team to work with. Gordon (who he brought in imo) pressley, hartley (who he got the best out of) and De vries up top. What has casba got? Nout

Archived